• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlagev

So neither Cuccinelli nor that crazy Alabama Tea Partier would call to concede & congratulate their opponents?

Ooh, those Tea Partiers are a salty bunch.

I heard about this, and I have never, ever heard of someone not doing the concession call. I mean, I know it must suck to do, but I always thought that it was one of those things you just did out of decorum. Is this a new thing, or is there precedence for this?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wow. This has gone from a seemingly innocent copypasta from wikipedia for a speech to full blown plagiarism in both newspaper and book form.

I don't see how Rand lives this down on the 2016 campaign trail.

It won't affect the GOP primary at all, if by some miracle he makes it to the general he'll be dead in the water. The funny part is that the real scandal hasn't been the plagiarism but his response to it and his solution for it. Anyone that's been paying attention to those two things shouldn't want him anywhere near a higher office, shit they shouldn't want him where he is right now.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I heard about this, and I have never, ever heard of someone not doing the concession call. I mean, I know it must suck to do, but I always thought that it was one of those things you just did out of decorum. Is this a new thing, or is there precedence for this?
Didn't Romney refuse to call Obama for a while?

There was also Allen West refusing to concede, though that hardly came as a surprise.

I feel bad for the Fox News or Breitbart intern currently scanning through Obama and Hillary books looking for a sentence that can be used to claim plagiarism/"liberal media ignoring when dems do it" narrative.

Jooney

Yes. Truman never made that concession call to Dewey.

dewey-defeats-truman.jpg

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Didn't Romney refuse to call Obama for a while?

There was also Allen West refusing to concede, though that hardly came as a surprise.

Yep. He didn't even have a concession speech ready. You never tempt the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing.

I feel bad for the Fox News or Breitbart intern currently scanning through Obama and Hillary books looking for a sentence that can be used to claim plagiarism/"liberal media ignoring when dems do it" narrative.

Oh man, I hadn't thought of that yet. I can't really feel sorry for them though, they knew the shit they were signing up for.

Yes, though I think we can attribute that one at least in part to unskewing. He really, really thought he was going to win.

Yup. They were unprepared for the loss, and it took awhile for Romney to write his concession.

Although there was an article in TNR a couple months ago that said Romney's internal polls actually showed him losing, with a 17% chance of winning.

Tamanon

Banned

Should just contract out the Daily Show guys. They seem to be the best at researching stuff like that from the past.

bonercop

Yup. They were unprepared for the loss, and it took awhile for Romney to write his concession.

Although there was an article in TNR a couple months ago that said Romney's internal polls actually showed him losing, with a 17% chance of winning.

internal pollsters have been infiltrated by liberal media operatives as well

Should just contract out the Daily Show guys. They seem to be the best at researching stuff like that from the past.
The dude from BuzzFeed is a god with lexis nexus. He's found most of these and he was the one who dug all those Romney says the complete opposite in the past videos during the primaries.

He's basically an oppo researcher for a journalistic outlet.

zargle

I do recall some sort of minor thing in 2008 with Obama and Deval Patrick speeches sharing some lines.

ivysaur12

Banned
This is one of my favorite things

WASHINGTON -- If your phone number has a 617 area code, check your messages -- there's a chance you got a call from Joe Biden Tuesday night.

That's because that the vice president was having all sorts of trouble reaching Marty Walsh, whom he wanted to congratulate on being elected mayor of Boston.

On Wednesday, The Boston Globe reported that Biden called the cell phone of a man named Marty Walsh and offered him hearty congratulations on winning the election. "You son of a gun, Marty. You did it!"

It was the wrong Marty Walsh.

Now, a HuffPost reader named Toni has come forward to say that she too got a call from Biden Tuesday night, congratulating her on becoming mayor.

The call came in a little past 10:00 p.m. She let it go to voicemail, thinking it was odd that an unknown caller from Washington, D.C., was calling at that hour. Shortly thereafter, she listened to the message:

Mr. Mayor, congratulations. Marty, this is Joe Biden. Nice to see you win and nice to see Labor win. Anything I can do to help you from the White House in terms of your needs in Boston, holler man. Congratulations. Enjoy the night.
The whole thing was bizarre, Toni admitted. HuffPost withheld her surname at her request, but it isn't even close to Walsh. And she doesn't live in Boston anymore.

She does, however, still have a phone number with a 617 area code. And her outgoing voicemail is generic -- just an automated recording saying she couldn't be reached.

Toni said she was pretty sure the call wasn't a prank because a similar thing had happened to her just days before. On Saturday, another man left a voicemail on Toni's phone looking for Marty Walsh. She called him back and confirmed that there was confusion over what the mayoral candidate's phone number actually was. Biden, in short, wasn't the only one looking for the right digits.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So I was listening to Randi Rhodes and she played a clip of Limbaugh talking to some conservative woman, who was talking about how Republicans can fight back against the "war on women" meme. Her solution? Just turn that around and say that Democrats are the ones who are waging a war on women. I mean, that was it. She didn't mention any specific policy proposals or anything. It's quite literally the rubber/glue comeback.

Also, Rush said that Democrats were turning women into "abortion machines".

So I was listening to Randi Rhodes and she played a clip of Limbaugh talking to some conservative woman, who was talking about how Republicans can fight back against the "war on women" meme. Her solution? Just turn that around and say that Democrats are the ones who are waging a war on women. I mean, that was it. She didn't mention any specific policy proposals or anything. It's quite literally the rubber/glue comeback.

It's funny because they already tried this during the 2012 campaign.

Gotchaye

I was listening to last night's Rachel Maddow Show - she's loving this Rand Paul thing. Some beautiful trolling there, spinning his latest as threatening to take his ball and go home, and talking about how he might not be up for the stress of a national race.

The Daily Show, really? What have they done recently that you object to?

I think this is still about their Virginia gubernatorial coverage. Maybe ACA coverage.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...zes-for-americans-losing-health-coverage?lite

Good on him.

President Obama said Thursday that he is "sorry" that some Americans are losing their current health insurance plans as a result of the Affordable Care Act, despite his promise that no one would have to give up a health plan they liked.
"I am sorry that they are finding themselves in this situation based on assurances they got from me," he told NBC News in an exclusive interview at the White House.

Diablos

You're a star, Diablos. A worrying, fretting star.
More like a jealous star. avcables and I were talking on IRC and by a matter of, oh, 10 minutes he managed to get the $1500 Samsung LED for $350 or so and I was denied.

10 MINUTES

soclose.gif

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

One of my posts, although just a simple quote, made it to GMA. Holy shit.

People probably look at that and think I am avcables. Ahahaha. This is so amazing

I'm still shocked GAF of all places was screen capped. Why not slick deals or fat wallet?

More like a jealous star. avcables and I were talking on IRC and by a matter of, oh, 10 minutes he managed to get the $1500 Samsung LED for $350 or so and I was denied.

10 MINUTES

soclose.gif

You got the fame he got the TV.

I got interviewed on the local 11 o'clock news after one of the presidential debates last year. Its weird to see yourself on TV.

In other Randi news:

What If Rand Paul Were a Woman?
But let’s imagine the junior senator from Kentucky were a woman. Not just any woman—let’s call her Randi—but, for the sake of this argument, a beautiful woman. The “men want to sleep with her, women want to be her” echelon of physical attractiveness. Everything else is identical: self-certified eye doctor, first-term senator, and she got the job with a boost from her father.

Diablos

You got the fame he got the TV.

I got interviewed on the local 11 o'clock news after one of the presidential debates last year. Its weird to see yourself on TV.
Yeah I guess!

Haha it sure is. Even just one of my posts serving as nothing but a quote essentially being on tv like that. Crazy.

It had to be someone from PoliGAF that has a connection to GMA if I were to guess... if it wasn't they would have just screencapped the original post instead and not my quote. REVEAL YOURSELF

Wilsongt

Not to mention a bunch of people quoted that post.

Haha I know it's just a stupid screencap but geez.

Yeah, yeah. Right on time.

As I said, pissing themselves with glee and quick to take sound bites and spin them like tops.

Oh lord. The shooter at LAX was a registered Democrat. Let all hell break lose.

...because they lost their insurance, since the plan was cancelled in many cases.

I got one of these letters from my insurance company. They told me that my plan wasn't up to snuff, and that by doing nothing I agreed for them to move me to the new version of the plan that satisfied the ACA. It was the least stressful (non-)interaction I've ever had with them.

GhaleonEB

...because they lost their insurance, since the plan was cancelled in many cases.

Your phrasing makes it sound like they lost their insurance, period, and are now uninsured. That would be a disaster. "They had to pick a different insurance plan" is what really happened.

It happened at my employer this year, and it's annoying, but that's about it. And a good chunk of them are getting both lower rates and better plans. It's terrible optics but having to switch plans is not that big of a deal in the scheme of things. It's just BIG SCARY NUMBERS.

Wilsongt

I got one of these letters from my insurance company. They told me that my plan wasn't up to snuff, and that by doing nothing I agreed for them to move me to the new version of the plan that satisfied the ACA. It was the least stressful (non-)interaction I've ever had with them.

Something like this needs to be stressed more than just plain old "Losing their plans" or "kicked off their plans". It's not like the media is honest, but now they are just flat out lying.

Diablos

Your phrasing makes it sound like they lost their insurance, period, and are now uninsured. That would be a disaster. "They had to pick a different insurance plan" is what really happened.

It happened at my employer this year, and it's annoying, but that's about it. And a good chunk of them are getting both lower rates and better plans. It's terrible optics but having to switch plans is not that big of a deal in the scheme of things. It's just BIG SCARY NUMBERS.
I would hope when the vast majority of people see what they are getting under their new plan and how much better it is than their old one, they won't let idiots on the news dictate how they should feel about it.

But this is the US we're talking about here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom