• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

Do you think the White House realizes how important gaining back control of the House next year is to their legacy?

I think they view it as out of there hands.

President isn't the most popular now and the way districts are set up it would be very tough to win back the house.

GhaleonEB

Details on the administrative fix:

Seems like the best thing that can be done w/o gutting the law which some short-sighted Dems are inclined to do

This will basically separate the plans that are cancelled due to not meeting ACA standards from the normal cancellations that occur every year. I expect the GOP will pick up the goal posts and march them back, blaming the ACA for every cancelled policy, regardless of reason.

Diablos

This will basically separate the plans that are cancelled due to not meeting ACA standards from the normal cancellations that occur every year. I expect the GOP will pick up the goal posts and march them back, blaming the ACA for every cancelled policy, regardless of reason.
Well, yeah.

This is why this whole fiasco is so unfortunate. Any little issue is like a treasure trove to the GOP in justifying their perverse tenacity, particularly the embarrassment that is healthcare.gov's launch, and the subsequent consequence of those losing policies being unable to see that their options aren't really that grim.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...s-a-2016-shakeup-with-midwestern-primary.html

The national Republican Party is considering a number of major changes to its presidential nominating process to avoid a repeat of the debacles of 2012, according to several party officials.

Most significantly, the party is considering holding a “Midwestern primary” featuring Great Lakes states such as Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, and Wisconsin that would come immediately after the votes in the traditional early primary states. Also being weighed and thought likely to be approved when the Republican National Committee meets in early 2014 is a plan to shorten the primary season considerably by holding the party’s convention in July, almost as soon as the last primary ballots are cast.

Wilsongt

How much would it cost to mail every person in the country a packet of information with a healthcare application and a table showing subsidized prices and the income limits? Seriously. Fuck the website

I didn't sign up for my healthcare at work using the Internet.

I dunno. Ask the Bush Administration who sent out letters to everyone announcing that in a few weeks they would receive $300.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
This helps candidates like Chris Christie.

I figured this would happen. The question is if the South will stand down and let them really proceed with it.
Yep, it will bolster (comparative) moderates in the primary, while only increasing outcry from the far right that they would have done better if only they had been more conservative.

GhaleonEB

This helps candidates like Chris Christie.

I figured this would happen. The question is if the South will stand down and let them really proceed with it.

I'm leaning toward no, but I think this kind of thing happens anyways, just with a fight. The move definitely strengthens establishment candidates and shortens the parade of idiocy that is the GOP presidential primary.

Diablos

Yep, it will bolster (comparative) moderates in the primary, while only increasing outcry from the far right that they would have done better if only they had been more conservative.
Yeah but it shortens that process which is ideal because the less it goes on, the less bitter people feel afterwards. GOPers tend to be good soldiers, they'd hold their nose and vote for Christie over Clinton for sure. I don't think they'll cry about the nominee not being a true conservative any more or less. If anything it would be less.

I'm leaning toward no, but I think this kind of thing happens anyways, just with a fight. The move definitely strengthens establishment candidates and shortens the parade of idiocy that is the GOP presidential primary.
I wouldn't be surprised, given how badly the GOP got burned in 2008 and 2012, that the rest of the party thumbs their nose at the south -- regardless of how influential the region is -- and moves full steam ahead with this plan. Yeah it will cause infighting. But it isn't going to make the GOP lose the south. Anyone with an (R) next to their name will continue to win states like Texas, and states like OH/FL, perhaps even WI/MI will remain in play.

Also remember that if Hillary runs it'll clear out the field in the primary (no Warren is not gonna challenger her) so pretty much any advantage the GOP would have by shortening the primary season is nil.

Diablos

Also remember that if Hillary runs it'll clear out the field in the primary (no Warren is not gonna challenger her) so pretty much any advantage the GOP would have by shortening the primary season is nil.
Yeah but this is designed to let people like Christie get to the nomination. If that happens Hillary will have serious competition. The GOP knows this. It only took them two Presidential elections (lol) to come to terms with it, but they are finally starting to. Democratic strategists are no doubt getting a headache over this.

Diablos

This was the exact thinking in 2008.
I tend to agree with him on that point, however. There is not another Barack Obama out there just waiting to be voted for in an epic primary battle. It's basically going to be Hillary vs. a bunch of other Dems like Biden, Warren, etc. who will fold before it starts to severely impact the process.

Again, I think the GOP knows that too. This whole thing is designed to help themselves nominate someone truly electable, not hinder the Democratic primary.

So I see Obama's late with his speech again... waiting for Boehner to give his first, perhaps?

Edit: just as I post that, people start talking...

Double edit: Here we go for real...

Wilsongt

The 2012 primary reached peak stupidity before Iowa during the Cain surge in November-December 2011.

No. The peak was when Perry couldn't remember which three departments he would gut on national TV.

Also, Perry 2016. Hearing rumblings he running again, and the reason why he was so stupid last time was because he had back surgery and was on medication... Yeah. That level of stupid doesn't come from hydrocodone.

Cloudy

Banned
Obama should have done this presser a long time ago. Why sit back and take 2 weeks of being called a liar with no rebuttal?

Can we safely say Obama is a lame duck president now?
You just can't let people stay on these plans. Do you not understand that the current prices assume these people would be moved off those old plans. If they were allowed to keep it, then the exchanges would have higher prices.

Not only that, but companies would leave the exchange because the people currently with shitty plans are healthy people with lower risk and the people entering the exchanges who previously did not have insurance are higher risk. If the low risk people keep their shitty plan with low premiums and the new high risk people get comprehensive coverage at a reduced rate, the insurance companies collapse. If they raise the prices to compensate (despite how late in the game it is), Obamacare collapses because not enough people will join (prices would skyrocket, see: NY). If they leave the exchanges all together, it collapses.

Furthermore, the law would have to require insurance companies offer those plans. But here's the kicker. They don't want to under the new rules. All these people that got their "cancellation letters" are done. Why would an insurance company take them back under the old price when it makes no sense? They want them on the exchange. And now the question becomes, if the federal government forces these companies to keep the people (which is very different from "allowing" people to keep their plan), these companies will sue and I bet they'd win in court (regardless, it would tie up everything for a long time).

You want a fix? here's a simple fucking fix. Everyone who got a "cancellation" notice has the choice of going on the exchange and purchasing a Silver Plan for their income level and the feds will subsidize the plan to the point that they pay the same rate they paid this past year + 3% increase each year. Just fucking subsidize the difference. If they choose a non-silver plan, they're on their own. If they ever change their plan in the future, they're on their own. They get an open enrollment period to take a silver plan at their current rate and that's that.

None of this bullshit that fucking ruins the market. The Democrats who are panicking are beholden to their damn politics instead of common sense. These things cannot be dealt with by morons who don't understand how these prices are determined and what effect these laws have on the markets.

yeah, it sucks that Obama's "promise" was a bit misunderstood and also mistated and the website problems have made this into a story. But this is yet another point where Obama didn't stand up for himself strongly.

He should have defended it and said "When I said that, I was talking about people who had their plans in 2010 that wouldn't change significantly. I was also talking about the fact that the government wouldn't take over you insurance. I never claimed that insurance companies wouldn't change your policies to adhere to the new rules, something insurance companies have done forever. Unfortunately, the market deems those policies be removed so that the whole system works out better. I understand that for those receiving these letters it is a scary time but for most of them they will get better coverage and often times at a cheaper price when they go on the exchange. Some will have to pay more and I urge Congress to pass a bill to subsidize these folks specifically if they want to fix that and I'd sign it tomorrow. But I stand by what I said and I stand by what the ACA does to the entire system. The status quo was unacceptable and it's time we move forward."

No, instead Obama tells everyone he's sorry and is scrambling to save face. Fucking hell, Obama has no Teddy Roosevelt in him and that's what we needed these last 5 years.

And yes, we should be discussing what is going on in Congress. But I'm sick & tired of all this talk about the 2014 election regarding the website now or this. NO ONE KNOWS SHIT. When August of next year rolls around, we'll have a clearer picture. Will people be signed up in march? Will the goal be met? This is what matters, not whether the website is working today.

That's why I said this thread has become almost unbearable all of a sudden. The website sucks. There's nothing any of us can do about it unless you're a programmer and have real suggestions to make.

You assume that most people who have junk policies are young and healthy to begin with, which isn't true. Overall this is what, 5-10 million people? I do not believe that keeping them in their shitty plans harms the law in any way. We already know many of them can't afford ACA plans anyway considering they aren't eligible for subsidies, so it's not like most would sign up for the law anyway.

Your fix sounds nice...but that could not be done without congressional action correct?

Finally you're going to make me defend Obama. He simply could not hold firm on a losing issue like this, and your fantasy statement doesn't sound like it would work for anyone but liberal bloggers. At the end of the day he promised the law would not impact existing plans. We've spent years beating back anti-Obamacare FUD by noting the plan only applies to those without insurance, even though many of us were also aware of these 2010 junk policies.

Here's where I won't defend Obama: once again, he allows a story to get weeks ahead of his rebuttal/response. We saw this happen during the creation of ACA, during that first August recess. Same thing happened earlier this year with the drip drip drip of NSA news.

So I haven't kept up with everything. I occassionally listen to POTUS on Sirius, and read the news... and I'm so irritated with Obama. He should have known this was ammo for the republicans, and this website shit is going to be carried by the media and especially right wing bloggers and radio hosts to harden EVERYONE'S position on these issues. He should have KNOWN they would go after him and go after him hard. THis is a man who hasn't had a scandal or anything gain traction on him until now. And republicans are going to milk it for all its worth.

Of course, the republicans can eat a fat dick. I expect this behavior from them. I'm just disapointed Obama gave them ammo to shooat at him, especially at a time where everything in regards to the law is so precarious.

This press conference is pathetic. Hearing Obama say the federal government isn't good at IT infrastructure, federal contracts, lamenting all the regulation/red tape...the obvious question becomes: why didn't you fix it? Or, why don't you fix it now? He sounds like a government spectator, not the president.

Diablos

I've gotta say, Obama is taking too long to explain a lot of his answers here and I am starting to wonder why he didn't go on the offensive two weeks ago.

He just sounds kind of depressed.

bonercop

You assume that most people who have junk policies are young and healthy to begin with, which isn't true. Overall this is what, 5-10 million people? I do not believe that keeping them in their shitty plans harms the law in any way. We already know many of them can't afford ACA plans anyway considering they aren't eligible for subsidies, so it's not like most would sign up for the law anyway.

I'm pretty sure this is just Republican BS. The subsidies are there for people within 400% of the poverty line.

The real problem is for people who's income is above 137% of the poverty line and still can't afford insurance, period. Subsidies or no.The media doesn't seem very concerned with this group.

This press conference is pathetic. Hearing Obama say the federal government isn't good at IT infrastructure, federal contracts, lamenting all the regulation/red tape...the obvious question becomes: why didn't you fix it? Or, why don't you fix it now? He sounds like a government spectator, not the president.

I'm more annoyed by the fact that the most prominent/well-known liberal voice in the country is giving credence to dumbass Republican ideas like this. It's like when he doesn't shut up about deficits.

Why isn't he laying blame on the private contractor?

Cloudy

Banned
I've gotta say, Obama is taking too long to explain a lot of his answers here and I am starting to wonder why he didn't go on the offensive two weeks ago.

He just sounds kind of depressed.

I prefer thoughtful answers to soundbites. I thought he did a great job

Diablos

I prefer thoughtful answers to soundbites. I thought he did a great job
Normally I'd agree but he just sounds fucking sad.

Pt1U3WA.png

Right on time...

teiresias

I do like the fact that he made the point that the old system was broken and that he won't accept "fixes" that take us back to that status quo. I think that's an important point that needs to made in light of Republican "suggestions" on things. The only thing he missed (and I can see why he didn't say it, not wanting to OUTRIGHT partisan at this briefing) is pointing out that the Repubs have no ideas aside from going back to the old status quo.

bonercop

Because then he looks weak. He's the president, it's his law, he is responsible above all else

I'm not objecting to him taking responsibility for it.

He ought to apologize for picking the contractors he did. He ought to apologize for the lack of oversight the WH had over the project....but parroting right-wing talking points about the inefficiency of government? Really isn't necessary and it doesn't exactly help the liberal cause when their "guy" can't stop himself from doing it over and over again.

EDIT:

The more obvious question is if government sucks at all those things, why "increase" its role?

But democrats stay apologizing for liberalism.

This, basically.

The more obvious question is if government sucks at all those things, why "increase" its role?

Diablos

Should he be celebrating as his administration is being attacked from all corners?
Uh, no. But that doesn't mean he has to sound like he's at a funeral.

I'm not objecting to him taking responsibility to it.

He ought to apologize for picking the contractors he did. He ought to apologize for the lack of oversight the WH had over the project....but parroting right-wing talking points about the inefficiency of government? Really isn't necessary and it doesn't exactly help the liberal cause when their "guy" can't stop himself from doing it over and over again.
Ding ding. He should have ripped into the contractors and tied it directly to an apology from himself, not "us" about it.

Diablos

There's no guarantee that Christie does well in the Midwest. I mean, Romney had trouble in the Midwest.
Romney was less charismatic than John Kerry and had a history of being a heartless CEO tied to a blue state for one term, practically denounced by his own state, yet desperately trying to figure out a way to sail into the Presidential election for like 5 years. I think Christie by default will have a better shot with these voters. He's way more popular with key demographics in a blue state. And unlike Romney he got a second term and people love the guy.

TomServo

Anyone in the insurance business able to comment on the feasibility of discontinued insurance policies being resurrected in short order because of a last-minute decree?

I'd expect that there's some actuarial work that wasn't done for plans not compliant with the ACA that would have to be done before these plans could be offered again?

In other words, has the ship sailed on those plans?

Anyone in the insurance business able to comment on the feasibility of discontinued insurance policies being resurrected in short order because of a last-minute decree?

I'd expect that there's some actuarial work that wasn't done for plans not compliant with the ACA that would have to be done before these plans could be offered again?

In other words, has the ship sailed on those plans?

Shouldn't be too difficult. if (big IF) the teams are motivated, the alterations could be done to the various systems in a week (give or take the age of the systems being used by the providers...older systems will tend to take longer to update).

yeah, there's going to be alteration to peoples' premiums. Shouldn't be too terrible so long as its limited to grandfathering already existing plans (and not allowing people to sign up for junk plans), as well as not allowing people to take subsidies on the junk plans (this one may or may not cause problems). As before, its more important to have the people who didn't previously have insurance signing up versus people's keeping their crap plans from before.

But that goes hand in hand with my complaint. If government sucks at doing its job, why not make government better at doing its job? He used the example about student loan forms, which is an example of government making something easier. But the obvious question becomes "why wasn't this done for IT and federal contracting, considering the important role they play in ACA implementation?" For all the talk about "cutting waste with a scalpel" this suggests gross neglect and stupidity.

All this does is reinforce the idea that government can't do things right. He literally said government hasn't done X right for decades, and maybe they should fix that...as if he has no control over it. I remember him making executive actions on downsizing a few government departments in 2011, for instance. Why wasn't the same done with this issue?

BTW, House democrats are quickly voicing opposition to Obama's plan.

Crisco

Banned
So is Obama's proposal basically "Hey, you can keep offering your customers those shit plans if you want to, but then you'll get the blame for cancelling policies if you don't!". Sounds like smart politics. Good game.

Crisco

Banned
But that goes hand in hand with my complaint. If government sucks at doing its job, why not make government better at doing its job? He used the example about student loan forms, which is an example of government making something easier. But the obvious question becomes "why wasn't this done for IT and federal contracting, considering the important role they play in ACA implementation?" For all the talk about "cutting waste with a scalpel" this suggests gross neglect and stupidity.

All this does is reinforce the idea that government can't do things right. He literally said government hasn't done X right for decades, and maybe they should fix that...as if he has no control over it. I remember him making executive actions on downsizing a few government departments in 2011, for instance. Why wasn't the same done with this issue?

BTW, House democrats are quickly voicing opposition to Obama's plan.

Uh, because it can't be? Software engineers aren't cheap, and unless you outsource all your shit to China or the 3rd world, you have to compete with the MS's and Google's of the world when recruiting talent. This is a problem that can only be solved with money, and the GOP has made it impossible to pass a budget that increases funding for those things during the past 5 years.

So is Obama's proposal basically "Hey, you can keep offering your customers those shit plans if you want to, but then you'll get the blame for cancelling policies if you don't!". Sounds like smart politics. Good game.

He's essentially shifting the responsibility to insurers, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom