• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.
The focus in 2014 should be on winning the gubernatorial elections in Wisconsin (Mary Burke), Florida (Charlie Crist), Ohio (Ed FitzGerald), Pennsylvania (Allyson Schwartz) and Michigan (Mark Schauer). For one, they're battleground states and would speak volumes for national politics to legalize it, and if these states had Democratic administrations who refused to defend anti-marriage laws in court, that would effectively nullify them as we saw from the Supreme Court ruling on California. This is also why it was important for Democrats to sweep the Virginia races, which they did, so holla.

Speaking of governors, Jason Carter (grandson of Jimmy) is running in Georgia, apparently prodded by a Democrat-commissioned poll that had Gov. Nathan Deal only up by 8 points (44-36). Good recruit, and running alongside Michelle Nunn should help.

Who's running against Branstad in Iowa? The Iowa Dems made a good choice in picking Braley so I hope they found someone good for the governors race.

ivysaur12

Banned
Didn't Illinois completely legalize SSM?

The governor is signing the bill on the 20th, hence the comment on the 20th and why Illinois hasn't been updated yet on the map.

EDIT: Beaten like Kay Hagan in 2014 :(

7 states in 2013, not bad, although things are likely to slow down a bit as everything will have to be through the courts. New Mexico's probably next after a court ruling (it's currently legal in 56% of the state as it's been decided on a county-by-county basis) and Oregon will vote on it in 2014. Colorado would be the next state to deal with it legislatively, I suppose, as Nevada can't put it on the ballot until 2016 at the earliest. Michigan has a trial set for February.

The focus in 2014 should be on winning the gubernatorial elections in Wisconsin (Mary Burke), Florida (Charlie Crist), Ohio (Ed FitzGerald), Pennsylvania (Allyson Schwartz) and Michigan (Mark Schauer). For one, they're battleground states and would speak volumes for national politics to legalize it, and if these states had Democratic administrations who refused to defend anti-marriage laws in court, that would effectively nullify them as we saw from the Supreme Court ruling on California. This is also why it was important for Democrats to sweep the Virginia races, which they did, so holla.

Speaking of governors, Jason Carter (grandson of Jimmy) is running in Georgia, apparently prodded by a Democrat-commissioned poll that had Gov. Nathan Deal only up by 8 points (44-36). Good recruit, and running alongside Michelle Nunn should help.

Colorado has a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage. My guess is that CO and OH will join Nevada in voting on the issue in 2016 with a new constitutional amendment.

Jooney

This is why this thread is unbearable in fact: the constant focus on politics and elections over policy, and never ending spin.

The fact that you can say this with a straight face is what is unbearable. Sometimes I feel PoliGAF is wasted on you. Your ability to totally forget what you have said in days gone by you qualifies you to be a national pundit. Or at least someone who worked in the Romney campaign.

Nothing I said wasn't accurate, deal with it.

I support the law and am beyond frustrated by what has turned into nearly two months of glitches, incompetence, and uncertainty. And I cannot stand this mindset that somehow if we all tell each other to calm down and hold the line, things will be fine. Liberals should be on the forefront of demanding this thing be fixed and offering solutions. Ridiculous spin and outright dismissal is not helping.

No, just no.

Liberals / democrats should not be jumping in on the piling on of the health care law. Stop framing the discussion within the parameters set by the republicans.

The website problems are not going to be enduring; they will be fixed soon.

The idea that cancelled plans should be grandfathered in should not be entertained in the slightest - giving people under-insurance is bad policy that does nothing to drive down costs and in the end destroys families financially and makes you and everyone else pick up the slack. Remember, before the health care law, more than half of all bankruptcies were due to health care costs; two thirds of those were people who had health insurance. Insurance companies selling people bullshit insurance plans that cover nothing is not acceptable.

Democrats should be out there saying that the status quo before the health care law was unacceptable, and that the republicans want to take us back to the day when health insruance was bankrupting people, where people could be kicked off for having a pre-exisitng conditions, and was driving up the deficit at faster and faster rates. Oh, and they should kindly point out that the republicans have zero plans on health care. None. Nada. Zilch. So put up or shut up.

This is a situation in which directing ire towards Obama would best be directed towards those claiming that Obama's "lie" and the website problems are meaningful issues. That includes whining House Democrats. Attacking Obama from the right--and giving credence to ultimately trivial complaints--is totally counterproductive.

I don't care if insurance companies cancelled weak plans that people had; nor should most people. And the website's problems, while annoying, are hardly meaningful. It might require some alteration to avoid penalizing people who because of those problems could not obtain coverage in time, and some other alternative measures to sign people up, but it is not a meaningful problem in real terms. Allowing the right to capitalize on these things is a mistake. House Democrats can afford to whine (and are sometimes politically compelled to whine) because people like us are insufficiently vigilant in calling out and standing up to the right's bullshit. It is up to us to create the circumstances in which Democratic whining is politically unfeasible.

If you live in a district with a whining House Democrat, call them up and tell them to can it.

This thread is starting to get unbearable. None of this matters today in terms of elections so stop talking about it.

These guys get it.

Who's running against Branstad in Iowa? The Iowa Dems made a good choice in picking Braley so I hope they found someone good for the governors race.
I don't know of any candidates, although Branstad is pretty popular iirc. Since Iowa already has gay marriage in this instance it's not terribly important to elect a Democrat there, especially with the State Senate stonewalling any attempt at a constitutional amendment.

Colorado has a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage. My guess is that CO and OH will join Nevada in voting on the issue in 2016 with a new constitutional amendment.
I've heard the Dems' plan was to put the amendment on the ballot for 2014, with the civil unions bill just a temporary measure until that was dealt with. This article says they're pushing it to 2016 though. It also mentions Utah... um, good luck with that.

Nevada only has to wait until 2016 because amendments need to pass in successive legislatures. Otherwise I'm sure they'd have the votes.

There's a court case in Virginia and Boies and Olson represent the prosecution. Shit's about to go down.

@debrajsaunders: Covered CA head Peter Lee sez enrollment is excelerating. Oct. 30,830 enrolled, by Nov. 12, another 29,000 signed up
I expect the same to happen for healthcare.gov once things get up and running.
Liberals / democrats should not be jumping in on the piling on of the health care law. Stop framing the discussion within the parameters set by the republicans.
I disagree with this under a certain context. If you're leaving it up to only Republicans responding and expressing outrage, the Administration's response wouldn't be as urgent and the pressure to fix it wouldn't be as great. Not only that, it'd create a false barrier of success: the whole healthcare law is a disaster vs. only the website. The White House is more likely to listen to Democratic complaints about the law than Republican ones because they're mostly feigning outrage.

As Brian Beutler wrote a couple of weeks ago:
If we’re really not facing the possibility that the site won’t be working by early next year, why would the law’s flexibility matter?

Being sanguine about these issues won’t get them resolved any faster, and won’t do anything to prevent the administration from becoming dispirited and letting the window they have to buoy the system close.

No matter what the press has done, nobody who’s actually in the market for insurance would have mistaken the rollout for a success, and what ultimately matters is making sure the website becomes a reliable service for consumers. Without enough consumers the law won’t work right and if it doesn’t work right the recriminations will be thousands of times worse — for Obama, Democrats, liberalism and the uninsured — than they have been so far.​

Jooney

In the continuing saga of 'worst speaker in recent memory':

House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) said Wednesday that the House will not enter negotiations with the Senate to hash out differences between its immigration plans and the Senate immigration bill -- dealing a significant blow to the prospects of comprehensive immigration reform this Congress.

"The idea that we're going to take up a 1,300-page bill that no one had ever read, which is what the Senate did, is not going to happen in the House," Boehner said. "And frankly, I'll make clear that we have no intention of ever going to conference on the Senate bill."

Boehner previously said that the House wouldn't vote on the Senate immigration bill, which might be able to pass but has very limited House GOP support. He has also said any bill -- including one from a House-Senate conference committee -- would have to have the support of a majority of House Republicans in order to come to a vote.

The one thing that everybody agreed to after the election - republicans, democrats, the media, the electorate - was that immigration reform was something that had to be done, not only for the benefit of those hurt by current policies, but for the national political viability of the republican party going forward.

If Republicans can't even do this one thing, then I no longer want to hear any talk about how Obama got too involved in the process, or didn't get involved enough, or whatever. It is crystal that the GOP want to deny the administration any kind of legisative victory. It doesn't matter if Obama is involved or not.

Complaining about a 1300 page bill? LMAO. It's not as if Boehner's congress is doing anything. Brew a pot of coffee, put your spectacles on and get to work.

Hahahaha holy shit literally every single top story on Politico right now is about the website.

Damn Obama you really fucked up, I always knew he would snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

You can always count on Dems to help the GOP carry their message.

In this case their covering their own ass. They don't want to have ads run with obama saying "you can keep your plan" and their face with a narration saying they lied to the American people. The website problems or enrollment numbers aren't going to effect 2014 (if anything they'll help dems as people will see the law as a good thing) but will can hurt is the distrust breed from a statement that now seems to be a bold faced lie. Its a lot more nuanced than that but THAT not the law or the website failures that has gotten dems scared and why they're proposing fixes.

Landrieus mandate is pretty smart politically. As it forces the GOP to defend letting insurers cancel plans. That and I think there are a lot of people wrong about this somehow dooming the law. People can still sign up for plans on the website. I doubt that many will really stay on their plan, or enough that will really effect the law. The biggest losers will be the insurance companies who love using their opportunity for pushing their own more expensive plans.

Hahahaha holy shit literally every single top story on Politico right now is about the website.

Damn Obama you really fucked up, I always knew he would snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Its this a serious post? Its politico. It sucks and is devoid of meaning.
Their cover story the other day was Warren running for president. It said nothing but repeated a baseless report in the New Republic.

That second line wasn't supposed to be serious.

Oh ok. lol I hate politico, its TMZ of washington. the other two hill papers aren't bad. Roll Call and The Hill. Roll Call is the most 'Serious' IMO

The best part of all of them is the daily report on government people going into lobbying. Hahahaha...... :(

Jooney

I disagree with this under a certain context. If you're leaving it up to only Republicans responding and expressing outrage, the Administration's response wouldn't be as urgent and the pressure to fix it wouldn't be as great. Not only that, it'd create a false barrier of success: the whole healthcare law is a disaster vs. only the website. The White House is more likely to listen to Democratic complaints about the law than Republican ones because they're mostly feigning outrage.

I don't think the administration needs any further reminders as to the urgency of fixing the website and any holes in the law. They know what is at stake. Democrats piling on and demanding changes - including bad policy changes like I outlined previously - add no value other than lending credence to Republican arguments.

Look, at the end of the day, I take the long-term view of this. For more than fifty years, providing near of full universal health care has been nothing but pipe dream. Now we are right near the end zone. Yes, the website was a fuck up, and there has been endless hand wringing about it. But what we don't need is everyone on the offensive line to start attacking the quarterback. Because that is what is happening right now between the democrats and Obama.

Wilsongt

I'm tired of hearing about Websitegate. I stopped bitching about FFXIV's launch far earlier than people stopped bitching about healthcare.gov. Maybe as I gamer, I just know that shit like this always sucks during the first month or so.

I don't think the administration needs any further reminders as to the urgency of fixing the website and any holes in the law. They know what is at stake. Democrats piling on and demanding changes - including bad policy changes like I outlined previously - add no value other than lending credence to Republican arguments.

The administration needs Democratic pressure as much as anything else. First of all, because it doesn't hurt, second of all because it absolutely makes sure that it kicks them into gear. Plus, how do you think it would look if Democrats ignored the websites issues and acted like everything was fine? That wouldn't play well at all. Landrieu is covering her ass, and Merkly and Feinstein are putting Obama on notice that he needs to come out with a solution to address the current problem if the website doesn't get fixed in time.

Jimothy

how about we get rid of Howard Zinn and bring back the Pledge of Allegiance? If we're worried about sexually-transmitted diseases and kids growing up in single-parent homes, why are allowing so much smut on the radio and TV instead of emphasizing romantic/sexual commitment?

zpGVt.gif

In the continuing saga of 'worst speaker in recent memory':

The one thing that everybody agreed to after the election - republicans, democrats, the media, the electorate - was that immigration reform was something that had to be done, not only for the benefit of those hurt by current policies, but for the national political viability of the republican party going forward.

If Republicans can't even do this one thing, then I no longer want to hear any talk about how Obama got too involved in the process, or didn't get involved enough, or whatever. It is crystal that the GOP want to deny the administration any kind of legisative victory. It doesn't matter if Obama is involved or not.

Complaining about a 1300 page bill? LMAO. It's not as if Boehner's congress is doing anything. Brew a pot of coffee, put your spectacles on and get to work.

So much for that re-branding.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
This thread is starting to get unbearable. None of this matters today in terms of elections so stop talking about it.

And yet you all think some website issues are going to lead to a Republican wave election. Seriously, fuck all of you. You've made this thread unbearable.

Fucking seriously. What the hell is wrong with you people? The right-wing has no problems with shit like this because they have shit like this:

perfect_bubble.jpg

Learn it, accept it, EMBRACE IT.

Fucking liberals, I swear...

Diablos

People in this thread? Why don't you take a look at Democrats in Washington:

Democrats are on the verge of abandoning President Barack Obama on vital elements of his signature health care law at a time when his poll numbers have been sliding with three years left to go in his second term.

House Democrats used a closed-door meeting Wednesday to hammer the White House’s handling of the Obamacare rollout and aftermath. And Senate Democratic leaders have given their assent for the party’s most vulnerable lawmakers to sign onto efforts to adjust the health care law.

At Wednesday’s raucous caucus meeting, Democrats blasted the White House for failing to come up with a way to ensure that President Barack Obama’s if-you-like-it-you-can-keep-it promise about health insurance plans will be fulfilled. And they’re unconvinced the White House will meet its self-imposed Nov. 30 deadline to fix the HealthCare.gov website. The problem is most people are not approving of how the law is being handled by Obama/Dems and are starting to look to the GOP, so if Upton's bill is on the floor or something else that is basically stealth repeal, and Dems vote against it, knowing a lot of Americans they will just think Democrats don't care about people's healthcare.

“They’re telling us all about actuarial tables and all about how the process would work and all of this is fine and great and it would be great in a classroom and you would get an A on your test, but this isn’t about getting an A on your test, this is about ads,” said Rep. Steve Cohen, a Memphis liberal.

Meanwhile, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said he was “very confident” that the problems with Obamacare would be fixed following a late phone call from Obama on Tuesday. He said the two had “quite a long conversation” about health care and diplomacy with Iran. Top White House officials are expected at a Thursday Senate Democratic caucus meeting to update progress on revamping the troubled website.

“I feel very comfortable after having our conversation last night that it will be fixed,” Reid said.

Behind the posturing is a real fear amongst Democrats that the GOP will be able to expand the political map in 2014, putting once-safe seats into play. The anger directed at David Simas, the deputy senior adviser to the president, and Mike Hash, the director of the Office of Health Reform at the Department of Health and Human Services, came from Democrats in swing districts as well as from veteran allies of House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) who hail from traditionally safe areas such as Pittsburgh and Silicon Valley.

The meeting came one day after former President Bill Clinton said that Obama would have to find a way to keep the promise to let folks keep their insurance policies. Democratic aides said Wednesday that his remarks provided air cover for lawmakers to increase pressure on the White House to come up with a fix.

Collectively, the House Democrats issued a stern warning to the administration officials: Fix it or face a full-scale rebellion.

White House aides contend that there’s little to worry about. For all the clamor, they argue, Democrats on Capitol Hill haven’t yet joined “repeal and replace” Republicans in trying to dismantle the law. The White House understands the frustration, they say, but notes that Democrats are invested in making the law work and aren’t walking away from it.

The president looks at this as “a matter of policy first and politics second,” White House spokesman Jay Carney said Wednesday of Democratic concerns about 2014.

Whether that holds true if the website isn’t working on December 1 — and if their constituents lose existing plans that they are satisfied with—remains to be seen. The administration officials assured House Democrats that the website would be running smoothly by the end of this month.

Rep. Mike Doyle of Pittsburgh, an influential member of the House Energy and Commerce Committee told the administration officials that he would vote for the GOP bill if they couldn’t come up with better reasons for him to back the president, portending a dam-breaking vote on Friday if the White House can’t find a way to repair the damage it has suffered within the Democratic Caucus. He further suggested that if the White House can’t get the website fixed in time, the president will irreversibly lose the public’s trust on Obamacare, according to a source who was present.

Rep. Anna Eshoo (D-Calif.), like Doyle a member of Pelosi’s inner circle, complained about White House efforts to portray insurance cancellation notices as affecting just a small percentage of the population.

“You say it’s only 5 percent,” Eshoo told Simas and Hash, “but it is much more than 5 percent in my district.”

In the Senate, Louisiana Democrat Mary Landrieu, who is in a tough re-election race, has drafted a bill that would allow Americans to keep insurance policies that are scheduled for cancellation. Sens. Mark Pryor (D-Ark.) and Kay Hagan (D-N.C.), who are also battling to keep their seats in 2014, signed on, as did Sen. Joe Manchin, from West Virginia, who is not up for re-election next year.

In a blow to the White House, Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) this week became the first senator from a heavily Democratic state to join them.

Simas and Hash faced a firing line in the Capitol Wednesday.

“It’s ugly,” said one Democratic source in the meeting. “There’s no way Obama and Pelosi will let their legacy go down in flames. I just wouldn’t want to be from a swing district right now. Or anything that closely resembles one.”

It has been a stunning turnaround for a party that won a showdown over a government shutdown and threatened default on the nation’s debt just a few weeks ago by standing solidly behind Obama when he refused to negotiate change in the health law to re-open the government and avoid hitting the debt ceiling.

“The caucus is very, very upset about the fact that the process hasn’t worked, and Republicans have this bill,” Cohen said.

If they stand with the White House on Friday’s vote, they face the worst of all possible worlds: Campaign ads pointing out that they not only backed Obama’s broken promise but also opposed legislation to fix it. The White House has two days, they warned, to come up with an alternative way to ensure Americans aren’t thrown off their health plans. The president has vowed to find an administrative fix—rather than a legislative one—but that has proved difficult so far.

Rep. John Yarmuth (D-Ky.) said Simas indicated during the meeting that the White House will come up with a remedy for the cancelled insurance plans by Friday, with plans to present that solution to leadership on Thursday. Still, the details are up in the air, and it’s yet to be seen whether it would be an administrative fix or a legislative proposal, Yarmuth said.

“They were being urged [to come up with] something that would allow Democrats to express their desire to have standard plans, affordable plans, competitive plans,” said Rep. Marcy Kaptur (D-Ohio).

The White House argues that the bill from Energy and Commerce Chairman Fred Upton could lead to insurance companies offering 2013 plans in 2014 not just to people who currently have them but to new consumers. Those policies wouldn’t have to abide by new quality standards imposed by the Affordable Care Act, including the provision that prohibits insurers from denying coverage to applicants because of pre-existing medical conditions.

On whether the White House has an alternative to Upton, Carney said, “the president does want to and is discussing with lawmakers the ways we can make improvements.” Expect “an announcement from him sooner rather than later” on how to provide for those who are hurt by cancellations.

Simas and Hash also contended that the Upton bill would undermine the benefits of the law.

“The message was talking about what’s really in this Upton bill, which is to go back to the old insurance [system]—another way to get rid of the Affordable Care Act,” said Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.). In an earlier interview, Schakowsky expressed frustration with the White House handling of the Website problems, asking why, if an A team had been brought in to fix the site, the A team hadn’t been hired to build it in the first place.

The administration officials also urged no votes from House Democrats because, they said, the Upton bill would allow insurers to keep healthy people on the old plans, denying the exchanges the very demographic whose participation in the exchanges is crucial to balancing out the costs of covering sick Americans.

Insurance industry sources say that it’s likely too late to undo the cancellation notices that already have gone out, meaning the Upton bill is unlikely to actually restore coverage
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/11/obamacare-democrats-decision-99828_Page2.html

This is a mess.

Upton's bill actually does nothing since insurance companies can't hit the "undo" button on plans, Democrats have something somewhat respectable I suppose but the GOP will never go along with it... we're going to have another manufactured crisis, this time over healthcare.gov.

I really hope Obama just does something on the administrative side in hopes of healthcare.gov getting fixed by the end of the month/Dec. 15. If it is still fucked beyond that, this is going to have serious implications for the Democratic party moving forward.

People need to stop worrying about Obama, what this means for him, etc. He has another 3 years. What's at stake here is health care/ACA, Democrats and the implications for 2014 and 2016. This could be like 2006 and 2008 but in reverse depending on how badly the Democrats fight over this and what the White House can manage (or not manage) to do before the website is fixed. I doubt it will get to Dubya levels of outright rage against the Democratic party, but it could be bad. Especially if Obama's overall job approval continues to tank.

This is a crappy time to be a Democrat. The party seems to be scared, frustrated and angry over this.

I honestly don't think website troubles are going to last beyond November. 2 months of 24/7 work on getting it up and running is a lot more than I would expect. My take is that a couple of months from now only but the diehard tea people will still be clinging to the website like how they did with Benghazi or Solyndra or whatever. But the DINOs like Landriu, Manchin and others are a bigger problem and their concerns can drag this out further especially if they want to come up with a bill. Hopefully super Reid will stop this nonsense on the floor.

^That cancellation crap also has got to stop. From all of what I've read so far, the original insurance is being dropped because it was shit. That is what the administration should focus on instead of taking heat for Obama's comments. But again, for that to happen we need more enrollees and tbh, 100k is better than other numbers I was hearing.

Oblivion

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/11/obamacare-democrats-decision-99828_Page2.html

This is a mess.

Upton's bill actually does nothing since insurance companies can't hit the "undo" button on plans, Democrats have something somewhat respectable I suppose but the GOP will never go along with it... we're going to have another manufactured crisis, this time over healthcare.gov.

I really hope Obama just does something on the administrative side in hopes of healthcare.gov getting fixed by the end of the month/Dec. 15. If it is still fucked beyond that, this is going to have serious implications for the Democratic party moving forward.

People need to stop worrying about Obama, what this means for him, etc. He has another 3 years. What's at stake here is health care/ACA, Democrats and the implications for 2014 and 2016. This could be like 2006 and 2008 but in reverse depending on how badly the Democrats fight over this and what the White House can manage (or not manage) to do before the website is fixed. I doubt it will get to Dubya levels of outright rage against the Democratic party, but it could be bad. Especially if Obama's overall job approval continues to tank.

This is a crappy time to be a Democrat. The party seems to be scared, frustrated and angry over this.

I expect people in this thread to be just a tad smarter than Mary fucking Landrieu.

Here's the thing. The nice thing about both our so-called librul media AND the American people is that they both have the attention span of a fruit fly. Some other new shiny "scandal" will pop up soon or some random Republican will say something idiotic and the Obamacare glitches will be but a memory.

Oblivion

Protein

Banned
What is all this brouhaha I hear about healthcare premiums being raised because of the ACA. Are there any statistics/data to back this up?

Oblivion

What is all this brouhaha I hear about healthcare premiums being raised because of the ACA. Are there any statistics/data to back this up?

"No, not a single survey exists whatsoever. The vast majority of people will get a substantial drop in premiums, and the negligible amount of people who MAY see theirs go up will probably die soon anyway, so it's okay."

See, people? Was that so hard?

This is a mess.

The Upton bill would allow insurance companies to continue selling junk policies. That's unacceptable. I like the senate bill more, which would simply allow people with junk policies to keep them, but not allow new junk policies to be sold - something that should have been in the law from day one.

It's surprising the WH hasn't put this fire out. They better do something before House democrats jump ship.

Fucking seriously. What the hell is wrong with you people? The right-wing has no problems with shit like this because they have shit like this:

http://info.wolfedomain.com/Portals/224701/images/perfect_bubble.jpg

Learn it, accept it, EMBRACE IT.

Fucking liberals, I swear...

No, don't live in a bubble. Just take a broader view. Sure the web site is a mess. But that will get fixed and the problems will be forgotten. All massive new programs have problems. This one may have more than most. But in either case they will end.

The only issue is whether it will work in the big picture. It will take months if not years to figure out if it works.

Diablos

I expect people in this thread to be just a tad smarter than Mary fucking Landrieu.

Here's the thing. The nice thing about both our so-called librul media AND the American people is that they both have the attention span of a fruit fly. Some other new shiny "scandal" will pop up soon or some random Republican will say something idiotic and the Obamacare glitches will be but a memory.
The problem is, no one here has the ability to introduce bills (or not). No one can get on the phone with her staffers and get her to think rationally.

Here's the other thing. Unlike other topics, this is kind of personal for a lot of Democrats I fear. For the past three years you can be assured any Democrat feeling unease about this law for whatever reason was told time and time again to stick with it through thick and thin, because once it is rolled out it'll be smooth sailing. So they waited. Through a Government shutdown with default looming over this very law and the opposition wanting it eradicated, even. They stuck it out. They stood in lockstep. Now the website isn't working and policies are being cancelled even though people can't get a full grasp on what else is available thanks to a botched rollout. It is making for nightmarish PR that will be sure to stick around. Any issue with cancelled policies is now magnified, had the website worked normally it would have never got to this point despite how trivial it might actually be. Dems are looking at the politics of the situation and the angst and frustration felt by some people in their district who cannot figure out what happens to them next. Based on what I'm reading Obama has to do something -- not just say, do -- something by Friday or the shit will hit the fan in the party, and that's just going to be a disaster.

Lara Logan utterly shameless. Wow I have zero faith in her credibility now. Wouldn't be surprised if all her previous reporting had exaggeration or false bits. What a way to crash and burn your fucking career and take dignity along with it.

The website problems are not going to be enduring; they will be fixed soon.

The idea that cancelled plans should be grandfathered in should not be entertained in the slightest - giving people under-insurance is bad policy that does nothing to drive down costs and in the end destroys families financially and makes you and everyone else pick up the slack. Remember, before the health care law, more than half of all bankruptcies were due to health care costs; two thirds of those were people who had health insurance. Insurance companies selling people bullshit insurance plans that cover nothing is not acceptable.

Democrats should be out there saying that the status quo before the health care law was unacceptable, and that the republicans want to take us back to the day when health insruance was bankrupting people, where people could be kicked off for having a pre-exisitng conditions, and was driving up the deficit at faster and faster rates. Oh, and they should kindly point out that the republicans have zero plans on health care. None. Nada. Zilch. So put up or shut up.

You don't get it. This isn't jumping on or "piling on" the law. It's addressing a problem that needs to be fixed. Millions of people are losing their health coverage, and they cannot sign up on the website because it's fubar. We're discussing ways to fix that while some on the left act like nothing is wrong.

And yes, people should be able to keep whatever shitty plan they signed up for. Many people cannot afford the "better" coverage on the exchange. They make too much money for Medicaid, nor are they eligible for subsidies. This is not some academic issue or any place for elitist views on what people should be forced to do. If you like your insurance plan, you should be able to keep your insurance plan. Those shitty plans should be grandfathered.

Maybe one day the ACA will work for people in this donut hole. Until then they should not be punished with significantly higher premiums and deductibles.

Jooney

The administration needs Democratic pressure as much as anything else. First of all, because it doesn't hurt, second of all because it absolutely makes sure that it kicks them into gear.

The Democrats are talking about voting for the Upton bill which would gut the law, so yeah, it will hurt. I don't know how letting people keep under-insurance policies helps them financially, or supports the long-term viability of the health care law. We're talking about re-instating bad policy just to save some political face.

Plus, how do you think it would look if Democrats ignored the websites issues and acted like everything was fine?

I agree that would be bad.

But that is not what is happening. You've had the president and democrats go on the stump and assure that the website will be ready by the december deadline. You've had the president apologise to the people who have had their plans cancelled. Now we have to let the process of fixing the website play out. I don't know what continued hand-wringing achieves, other than playing into the hands of the Republicans.

Lara Logan utterly shameless. Wow I have zero faith in her credibility now. Wouldn't be surprised if all her previous reporting had exaggeration or false bits. What a way to crash and burn your fucking career and take dignity along with it.
She's really pro-war and military propaganda. She's even married to a guy whose job that is.

And she's been trying to push the benghazi story since forever.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/washin...gan-brings-ominous-news-from-middle-east.html

Logan even called for retribution for the recent terrorist killings of Christopher Stevens, the U.S. ambassador to Libya, and three other officials. The event is a harbinger of our vulnerability, she said. Logan hopes that America will “exact revenge and let the world know that the United States will not be attacked on its own soil. That its ambassadors will not be murdered, and that the United States will not stand by and do nothing about it.”

How she's not been fired is unbelievable.

The problem I think people are having is the freaking out is being driven by horse race type articles. OMG one poll went down! Its the end! Scandals and broken promises have happened before. The media tends to over hype their effect.

Oblivion

And yes, people should be able to keep whatever shitty plan they signed up for. Many people cannot afford the "better" coverage on the exchange. They make too much money for Medicaid, nor are they eligible for subsidies. This is not some academic issue or any place for elitist views on what people should be forced to do. If you like your insurance plan, you should be able to keep your insurance plan. Those shitty plans should be grandfathered.

"The cancellation of one health insurance policy is a tragedy. The cancellation of millions of health insurance policies is a statistic."

- Barack Hussein Obama

Seriously all we need is:

1. Website fixed by the end of the month.
2. Another manufactured fiscal crisis that makes the GOP look like a bunch of babies again.
3. The Tea Party comes out full force in the primaries and nominates a bunch of unelectable dolts.

I mean, looking back, Obama reached his lowest point in terms of popularity in the fall of 2011, and he still managed to get decisively re-elected.

She's really pro-war and military propaganda. She's even married to a guy whose job that is.

And she's been trying to push the benghazi story since forever.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/washin...gan-brings-ominous-news-from-middle-east.html

How she's not been fired is unbelievable.
Um wow. Crazy woman.

They fire Dan Rather over documents that were not proven fraudulent, about Bush's record at Air Force. But in their haste to not appear ANTI AMERICAN COMMIES they kick off one of the best journalists. But here? No bueno.

Diablos

The Upton bill would allow insurance companies to continue selling junk policies. That's unacceptable. I like the senate bill more, which would simply allow people with junk policies to keep them, but not allow new junk policies to be sold - something that should have been in the law from day one.

It's surprising the WH hasn't put this fire out. They better do something before House democrats jump ship.
And do you really think the GOP will budge and adopt the Senate's position? Please. This whole fiasco is like a gift to them. I'd be super happy if I were a Republican right now.

Just wait until Feb/March, if nothing is passed by then it will all come down to the Upton bill or full repeal.

It is also worth noting that, despite somewhat cryptic, Bill Clinton called Obama out on breaking his campaign promise. Pretty unprecedented and speaks to the magnitude of this problem.

Oblivion

Oh wow, didn't expect to see this. Kos says the Landrieu bill is actually a really great idea from the politics side.

And do you really think the GOP will budge and adopt the Senate's position? Please. This whole fiasco is like a gift to them. I'd be super happy if I were a Republican right now.

Just wait until Feb/March, if nothing is passed by then it will all come down to the Upton bill or full repeal.

It is also worth noting that, despite somewhat cryptic, Bill Clinton called Obama out on breaking his campaign promise. Pretty unprecedented and speaks to the magnitude of this problem.

Upton said today that he likes the Landrieu bill more than his own. Which seems to me like him basically saying "the senate bill can pass, mine can't."

Diablos

Upton said today that he likes the Landrieu bill more than his own. Which seems to me like him basically saying "the senate bill can pass, mine can't."
For realsies? That's good news.

What will Boehner do, though? Add a bunch of crap, the Senate rejects it, bill goes nowhere...

Also I think with immigration reform, ENDA and $10 minimum wage the Dems can galvanize a lot of support from groups that would otherwise stay at home in a midterm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom