• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.
ho ho ho

Prediction: the House will pass their own ridiculous bill today, then Boehner will relent/pass the senate bill tomorrow or on Wed.

More like they'll try to pass their own bill. I can easily see Boehner trying to pass a bill that goes too far for most Dems, and not far enough for the Tea Party, meaning it'll still fall short.

@jbendery 5m

Top Senate aide also confirms Dems will "probably" agree to Obamacare income verification reqs. Notes "won't affect enrollment in any way."

In that case, I'm all for it. Haha Boehner...

Apparently his meeting with McConnell barely lasted 10 minutes.

In that case, I'm all for it. Haha Boehner...

They were there to exchange lube.

This will all come down to Boehner, now. Either he allows a vote on the Senate bill or the world economy crashes and it is on his shoulders and no one else.

@GOP 4m
Tomorrow is the #NJSen special election. Make sure you get out to the polls and vote!

They're so in love with suppressing the vote, they've moved on to suppressing the vote of their own followers.

They were there to exchange lube.

This will all come down to Boehner, now. Either he allows a vote on the Senate bill or the world economy crashes and it is on his shoulders and no one else.

Basically, the same situation we've been in for two weeks. Boehner knew this day was coming, he spent this time attempting to impress his caucus before the inevitable "we tried our best" cave. Given how crazy the right went yesterday with the WWII memorials, I'm starting to think it won't be good enough. Boehner is gonna be ripped big time today and tomorrow. All while Paul Ryan continues to get positive media coverage...

Basically, the same situation we've been in for two weeks. Boehner knew this day was coming, he spent this time attempting to impress his caucus before the inevitable "we tried our best" cave. Given how crazy the right went yesterday with the WWII memorials, I'm starting to think it won't be good enough. Boehner is gonna be ripped big time today and tomorrow. All while Paul Ryan continues to get positive media coverage...

Good. Let Boehner lose his job, move Ryan to Speaker. Then Ryan will be exposed for all to see over the next year as the hack that he is. It will all be another step to the 2016 GOP implosion I've predicted when the party breaks itself apart.

Diablos

For realsies?

lol

Only thing that sucks about this: McConnell's race went from potentially up for grabs against Grimes to a sure winner. I think he will get some good press for being the sole Republican who could help make this debacle end.

OH WELL.

They shouldn't get a single thing.

It's already part of the law. They're getting something already there.

It's like someone on twitter mentioned, Dems should offer to get rid of Death Panels, too.

Only thing that sucks about this: McConnell's race went from potentially up for grabs against Grimes to a sure winner. I think he will get some good press for being the sole Republican who could help make this debacle end.

OH WELL.

His problem is the primary. If he wins that, he keeps his seat. But if he loses that, Dems could pick it up. This won't help him in the primary.

Diablos

Wah wah.

Boehner cannot lead his caucus. Period. He has to be one of the worst Speakers of the House in the history of our nation.

Say what you want about Obama and his low key approach to negotiations vs. a Clinton (or Christie!)-esque "I'm the President, I'll walk in the room the second it happens" approach -- it's still a valid approach.

Crisco

Banned

It's like someone on twitter mentioned, Dems should offer to get rid of Death Panels, too.

His problem is the primary. If he wins that, he keeps his seat. But if he loses that, Dems could pick it up. This won't help him in the primary.

They should just add a little Javascript pop up to the enrollment process that says "Thanks to the GOP shutting down the government and refusing to raise the DL unless we gave them something, you have to click OK to proceed.".

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't get why Tea Party think Paul Ryan would be any different from Boehner in anyway. Hell, I don't know if there's a person Boehner has taken more ideas and strategies from than Paul Ryan.

The only change I expect would be a greater focus on entitlements, but Obamacare, not entitlements, is what has gotten the Tea Party so energized.

I actually hope they go ahead and put Paul Ryan in the speaker chair. It'll still just accelerate their destruction since entitlements are a lot more popular than Obamacare.

How do you guys think Paul Ryan would have handled the last few years differently?

teiresias

Everyone in here was saying the only verification was the validation done when you file your taxes. Is there some other mechanism for income verification that we're all just unaware of that was actually delayed?

Riki

Fox News: You can register to vote on the Obamacare website.

How insidious.

Those fucking Democrats making it easier for people to vote! What do they think this is?! A democracy?!

Everyone in here was saying the only verification was the validation done when you file your taxes. Is there some other mechanism for income verification that we're all just unaware of that was actually delayed?

Most likely Republicans want to make it based on pre-tax income and make it harder for people to get covered.

Yes, I believe so. They tried to get it up and running, but couldn't. Honestly, I'm a bit confused how they would verify income other than basing it on last year's tax returns. You can't verify someone who didn't file taxes, lost their job, just got a new job, etc that I know of.

Isn't there a chance this ends up as a three way race too?

Always possible. If that happens, McConnell may be done no matter what. Oh god, that would be hilarious. A Tea Party idiot runs as an Indie and causes the dem to unseat the majority leader. Not enough lolz in the world.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Wah wah.

Boehner cannot lead his caucus. Period. He has to be one of the worst Speakers of the House in the history of our nation.

Say what you want about Obama and his low key approach to negotiations vs. a Clinton (or Christie!)-esque "I'm the President, I'll walk in the room the second it happens" approach -- it's still a valid approach.

And yet he still found a way to force Obama to give them massive spending cuts and extend the bush tax cuts.

Robert Costa ‏@robertcostaNRO 53s
Leadership is being pressured by growing group of House Rs to just let Sen deal come to floor if it has budg conf + short-tm CR/DL

hah!

Ryan Lizza ‏@RyanLizza 31s
So GOP interest group that wants delay of medical device tax loses, but Dem interest group that wants delay of Cadillac tax wins?

haha!

TBH, if this is a short delay of the cadillac tax, what does it matter? Companies were shedding the cadillac plans nearly 3 years before the tax was implimented, a year or 2 delay won't change much.

Robert Costa ‏@robertcostaNRO 57s
That famous Bloc of 30-50 con Rs in House is expctd to oppose, but they were always going to oppose, so "time to move on," says one House R

hah!

haha!

TBH, if this is a short delay of the cadillac tax, what does it matter? Companies were shedding the cadillac plans nearly 3 years before the tax was implimented, a year or 2 delay won't change much.

this is hilarious. Tea Party has just ruined the GOP's chances to get anything substantive out of this.

Riki

hah!

haha!

Please let this signal a quick end. Please.

hah!

haha!

If it's only 30-50 House Rs who oppose then it shouldn't even break the Hastert rule. What's Boehner waiting for.

teiresias

hah!

haha!

I absolutely cannot believe that a budget conference is part of what the GOP are thinking they "won" in this when the dems have been asking for one for months. I mean, WTF is going on with these people? LOL.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Wait so we're just delaying this for 6 months? We have to deal with this shit again early next year? What's the point?

Vestal

I absolutely cannot believe that a budget conference is part of what the GOP are thinking they "won" in this when the dems have been asking for one for months. I mean, WTF is going on with these people? LOL.

Shhh!!!!

Let it be signed and delivered then we mock them. Don't want the getting any ideas like reading or anything like that.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Last week Obama even said they could put a conference in the CR bill and add absolutely any items they want to discuss to it and he'd accept it.

First, I'm not a representative. It's not my job to negotiate. Second, how many people in the bottom half of income earners do you imagine own Treasury securities? And do you imagine their aggregate ownership of treasury securities is more or less than, say, the top 1% of income earners?

I think defaulting on bond payments is bad form. What I'm disappointed at is the pretense of importance to our economic well-being as though we were helpless in the face of Republican hooliganism. This only encourages deficit and debt hawks, to our collective detriment. Why aren't we talking about the economic catastrophe that will result from failure to make SNAP payments or the failure to make social security payments? These are far more important in the grand scheme of things than payments to bond holders.
The failure to make social security payments does not have the immediate impact of making borrowing more expensive in the same way that failing to pay bondholders might. And that has unfortunate consequences even for people who aren't personally holding treasury bonds.

I wasn't holding you personally accountable for negotiation, just suggesting a reason why a public preoccupation with debt service, even if feigned, might be appropriate.

Wait so we're just delaying this for 6 months? We have to deal with this shit again early next year? What's the point?

A new round of sequester cuts hit in January, ones that really hurt military. Belief if Dems have leverage to ease sequestration then and if the DL is further away, GOP can't do shit.

Plus, by then, Obamacare will be actually alive (insurance kicks in Jan 1st). GOP won't shutdown gov't to take people off insurance.

The other idea is the GOP won't threaten default or shutdown again. They've come out losing big time this time. If they do do it again, 100% they lose the House.

teiresias

Shhh!!!!

Let it be signed and delivered then we mock them. Don't want the getting any ideas like reading or anything like that.

Well, it's obvious, in hindsight, that they turned down every attempt by Dems to legitimately discuss an actual budget because they'd planned to do this. It's exceedingly sad and pathetic that now that this whole thing has royally blown up in their faces they want to try and get brownie points for suggesting a budget conference.

The failure to make social security payments does not have the immediate impact of making borrowing more expensive in the same way that failing to pay bondholders might. And that has unfortunate consequences even for people who aren't personally holding treasury bonds.

But this is exactly what I'm talking about. It needn't have that consequence at all. And to suggest it does suggests powerlessness of the entire country in the face of rich investors. It's not true, and it doesn't do anybody any favors to pretend it is true. It makes us worse off. Politicians will do what they have to do given political realities, but there is no reason for us as citizens discussing issues of the day to countenance it (or, worse, promote it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom