• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get the talking point that the Dems will regret this when the GOP gets the majority again (if they even do). The GOP was going to do this anyway. The Dems just finally decided to beat them to the punch. Neutering the filibuster was going to happened eventually due it its gross abuse and ease of use.

Do you think the GOP would've tolerated it this long if the Dems abuses the filibuster as much as they did if they was in the majority and their was a President Walker/Christie/Rubio in the WH? Hell no. They would've neutered it , and much, much sooner than the Dems did.

I don't think you have to frame it as the GOP was gonna do it anyways. Its just their super-right wing nominees passed anyways with or without the filibusters. It happened in 2005.

Alito and Thomas are on the court.

Argue that its an anti-democratic tool that's been abused.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Game over LibTards. Logic

trDqaqs.png

First reply spiting some truth too

Uh...Republicans can still vote, you know.

Oblivion

So how's this sound? Obama offers to leave all federal vacancies open if Republicans give him a $10 billion stimulus?

KingK

Just heard about the fillibuster. Great news! I'm more than happy to eat my crow on this one. I honestly thought he'd work out some sort of deal in the end.

So the New Hampshire Senate voted not to expand Medicaid today. It was a real shame, too, as I had actually thought we might actually be able to get a deal done after the results of the study committee came back...

Piecake

So the New Hampshire Senate voted not to expand Medicaid today. It was a real shame, too, as I had actually thought we might actually be able to get a deal done after the results of the study committee came back...

Vermont voted for single payer and you guys voted against expanding medicaid. The fuck?

Zen

Banned
Paraphrasing from an acquaintance/friend I know "How can anyone believe in the Democrats when they started this with the precedent of blocking a boatload of judicial nominees. And it's going to bite them hard in the ass in the future."

What is this - I don't even...

this is pretty related to my post yesterday about stossel's asumption the rich will pick up the slack when the government cuts back on the safety net.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blo...oposal-for-parks-worries-philanthropists.html
Of the top fifty largest individual gifts to public charities last year, the writer Ken Stern noted, “not a single one of them went to a social service organization or to a charity that principally serves the poor and dispossessed.” (Thirty-four went to colleges or universities, while nine went to museums and arts organizations.)

These foundations soak up donations from willing parents, bestowing iPads and architecturally exquisite playgrounds on select schools—amenities that schools in less affluent districts, or without their own foundations, must do without.

These concerns were roused again last year, when the hedge-fund manager John Paulson pledged a hundred million dollars to the Central Park Conservancy—the largest-ever gift to a public park. Paulson often ran or biked in the Park (which his Fifth Avenue apartment overlooks) and said that he wanted to make sure it would be preserved as an “urban oasis.”

Philanthropy is often and way for the rich to feel good about spending money on themselves and their surroundings. Not to truly help those in need.

So his support for Squadron’s proposal is probably best understood not as an articulation of policy but as an expression of protest—an indirect swipe at the pretensions of philanthropy. To the extent that it serves to confront all the city’s citizens, and not merely its wealthiest, with the need to address our growing inequality, it is a gospel delivered right on time.

We are living in a Second Gilded Age. I imagine the political/social ramifications will be similar.

Oblivion

Can't wait to see the first rightwing cartoonist to draw an evil looking Harry Reid flying a jet ready to deploy a nuclear missile over the city of Hiroshima which would be labeled “bipartisanship” with a crying Statue of liberty in the back seat.

leroidys

Can't wait to see the first rightwing cartoonist to draw an evil looking Harry Reid flying a jet ready to deploy a nuclear missile over the city of Hiroshima which would be labeled “bipartisanship” with a crying Statue of liberty in the back seat.

Beat them to it and demand royalties.

I'm at the government's BLS website trying to find where I should focus at in my job search.

I'm confused what the difference between "Job Quotient" and Employment per thousand" means.

Does job quotient mean the amount of jobs in general (as in job openings to applicants) in that area while employment per thousand refers to the amount of people who work that job of one thousand people?

I'm at the government's BLS website trying to find where I should focus at in my job search.

I'm confused what the difference between "Job Quotient" and Employment per thousand" means.

Does job quotient mean the amount of jobs in general (as in job openings to applicants) in that area while employment per thousand refers to the amount of people who work that job of one thousand people?

Employment per 1000 is the amount of people in that occupation per 1000 jobs.

The location quotient is the ratio of that local job employment per 1000 over the national average employment per 1000

Oblivion

You are just throwing up whatever.

leave these posts to incognito, man

I'm serious. Harry's good at standing up to Republicans, but he'll generally give in to whatever Obama wants. (see: the extension of the Bush tax cuts and Chuck Hagel)

And we all know how horrible a negotiator Obama is. Though after the government shutdown, it is possible that he finally learned his lesson.

I'm serious. Harry's good at standing up to Republicans, but he'll generally give in to whatever Obama wants. (see: the extension of the Bush tax cuts and Chuck Hagel)

And we all know how horrible a negotiator Obama is. Though after the government shutdown, it is possible that he finally learned his lesson.

That was old Harry. Old Harry is dead. Dirty Harry is running the Senate now. And he'll stuff that 7-pointed suppository up your ass.

New Hampshire really is the Alabama of the northeast.

I thought they had a Democratic governor and a legislature controlled by Dems?

Jooney

So I wake up this morning to find that the senate majority leader has been replaced by Alec Baldwin's character from Glengarry Glen Ross.

I'm ok with this.

glengarry-glen-ross.jpg

Anyways, do you guys think next months jobs numbers are gonna be good? I'm kinda hoping for signs of economic turnaround by the end of the year.

Jimothy

Yes, because a political 'minority' due to people not voting for you because they don't like your ideas is the exact same as a racial minority that has been historically discriminated against.

It totally is though. Straight white politicians are SO oppressed. Check your privilege.

fallagin

So watching Maddow now, and apparently there are 93 federal court vacancies :O

Good job republicans, you just fucked your own assess so hard :D

So watching Maddow now, and apparently there are 93 federal court vacancies :O

Good job republicans, you just fucked your own assess so hard :D

If they had approved the three, there would still be 90 more judges they could filibuster.

I hope Obama nominates some really progressive judges just to say fuck you to the GOP.

fallagin

If they had approved the three, there would still be 90 more judges they could filibuster.

I hope Obama nominates some really progressive judges just to say fuck you to the GOP.

Yep, there is pretty much no reason to hold back now after the last 4 years of immensely thick bullshit from the GOP.

Good for Reid and Democrats. The current GOP is not a true political party- its full of people who want to destroy government as we know it. You see it in Texas, my former home, where the leadership has denied assistance for the poorest of the poor. This GOP is not someone worth negotiating with. I still think Democrats will retain the Senate in 2014 by a decent margin- the demographics just continue to steamroll against the GOP. Once Hil-dawg runs in 2016, it will be all over for the GOP.

The same pricks who are complaining about the nuclear option were probably pushing for the GOP to use it with Bush. Crazy how only 7 of Bush's appointees were filibustered- things were pretty partisan then too but this just shows how ridiculous the GOP has been.

The filibuster is a tool that is not meant to be in the hands of these fools.

Fill EVERY VACANCY. Fill 'em up.

Obama is not going to get ANYTHING passed through the house so he might as well focus on nominating judges, doing foreign policy, and executive actions.

Oblivion

Fill EVERY VACANCY. Fill 'em up.

Obama is not going to get ANYTHING passed through the house so he might as well focus on nominating judges, doing foreign policy, and executive actions.

If I were Obama, I'd finally start acting like the insane, ultra-liberal ideologue the GOP always thought I was.

"IF YOU THOUGHT I WAS KENYAN BEFORE, JUST YOU WAIT!"

I will never understand why democrats still want to negotiate with republicans. It's like the chick that pulls the football away from Charlie Brown. You'd think they'd learn.

New Hampshire really is the Alabama of the northeast.

I thought they had a Democratic governor and a legislature controlled by Dems?
We have a Democratic Governor and a Democratic House, but the Senate has a 13-11 Republican majority, and that has been enough for the Republicans to gum things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom