• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chichikov

I was hoping for a talking filibuster, but that'll do (pig).
Also, if using reconciliation was "shoving down one throat" I wonder what that will be.
I'm hoping it involves tentacles.

I can't wait for Cenk's salty fucking tears at being wrong...again.
KuGsj.gif

Enough bragging. Here's the reasoning that led me to believe that Reid would finally pull the trigger:

• No side-talks going on, no preemptive "gathering of the Senate." This was key. The Democrats, even if Republican asked in private, weren't reciprocating any talks. Schumer and McCain weren't talking, Reid wasn't talking to McConnell; the Democrats were steadfast in plowing ahead.
  • Several senators previously weary about changing the rules changed their minds: Boxer, Feinstein, and so on.
  • If Republicans were to regain the majority and enact their own rules reform, it's better to have a recent precedent of doing it by a partisan majority from across the aisle. This catalyzed the conflict and diminished chances of a last-minute deal.
  • Reasons for avoiding a deal at the beginning of this year were nullified: Boehner argued that if the Senate changed its rules, the House wouldn't consider its legislation. Seeing as how that happened anyway...
  • Reid, in the end, was left with no other choice. Republicans were filibustering any and all nominees despite their qualifications, and the Senate 2014 map is the hardest it's been since the Democrats took the Senate in 2006. Better to pull the trigger now and get some tangible benefits than to wait after next year's election or 2016 where they could either lose the Senate or the presidency.

Wilsongt

Democrats just need to hang onto the Senate as long as possible or this will blow up gloriously in their face.

Fox News Breaking News alert: "SENATE DEMS WIN VOTE TO CHANGE FILIBUSTER, WEAKENING MINORITY PARTY'S POWER TO BLOCK NOMINEES"

Weakening? No. Preventing Senate Republicans from being giant cunts to anything related to an Obama appointee. You know... making sure the government actually fucking works and empty seats get killed like they're suppose to.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Why am I not surprised Manchin voted with Republicans? Certainly worthy of "SHOCKING NEWS".
I really do like to believe that guys like Manchin and Pryor sit down with Reid and discuss that they will vote "No" if the votes are there so they can hang on to their seats, but will vote "Yes" if their votes are needed.

I really do like to believe that guys like Manchin and Pryor sit down with Reid and discuss that they will vote "No" if the votes are there so they can hang on to their seats, but will vote "Yes" if their votes are needed.
That's how whipping works. They can still buck the party but Reid knows when they will

bananas

Banned
But kiss the filibuster goodbye next time the GOP take the Senate.

That's what the Republicans are betting on. That they'll win the Senate in 2014 and remove the fillibuster that the Democrat's started.

The problem with this plan though, is even if Republicans win back the Senate, Obama's still the President. He'll veto anything the Republicans try to pass. And then 2016 the Senate odds favor the Democrats, and add to that if Hillary does run. Does anyone think this will last more than two years?

Of course, what's actually going to happen is that the Democrats will keep the Senate in 2014, giving Obama and the Democrats more power than they would've had anyway, and the Republicans will have shot themselves in the foot. Again.

Yes, in many cases Reid will decide which Dem bucks the party and which doesn't

I'm really amazed the Senate republicans are screaming about 'minority rights'.

Have you guys done anything to fix the VRA? LGBT rights?

This is exactly how it works

Personally think Landrieu could've voted no too

So this means Obama can now re-nominate the NLRB guys and turn the SCOTUS case moot?
Would look like an implicit endorsement that the nominations weren't legitimate

BTW grassly is weird. He's talking about government not appointing ministers to churches because that has to do with the filibuster.

Now he's just going through EVERY GOP complaint.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm really amazed the Senate republicans are screaming about 'minority rights'.

Have you guys done anything to fix the VRA? LGBT rights?

In their eyes, the rich, white man is the most discriminated against minority in the country.

Would look like an implicit endorsement that the nominations weren't legitimate

BTW grassly is weird. He's talking about government not appointing ministers to churches because that has to do with the filibuster.

Now he's just going through EVERY GOP complaint.
That implicitness wouldn't matter legally.

Recess appointments were just rendered useless while the presidents party holds the senate.

Today, my friends, the repair of the American political system is upon us. The Republic shall endure.

THE NUCLEAR OPTION IS UPON US

IA IA REID FHGTAGAN

teiresias

Love this from DailyKos:

As Bill Sher at the Campaign for America's Future notes, the federal judiciary is now evenly balanced, with 390 GOP-appointed judges and 391 Democratic-appointed ones. However, there are 93 vacancies.

Republicans could relent on Obama’s right to fill vacancies and keep the filibuster in place. Obama would get some more judges, but he would not be able to fill all the outstanding vacancies by next year considering that he has only identified nominees for about half of those seats. But if Republicans provoke the end of the filibuster, then I suspect the White House can quickly find another 50 or so judges without much fuss.

In other words, surrendering on three judges would've allowed the GOP to continue obstructing the other 87. Provoking the Democrats into eliminating the filibuster, on the other hand, now allows Democrats to ram all 90 through with minimal trouble.

Make it so!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom