• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.

zargle

Shock. Rush supported the idea of the nuclear option back when Reps had control.

He wasnt the only one:
  • Sean Hannity: “I Believe It’s Unconstitutional To Filibuster.”
  • Rush Limbaugh: “The Constitution Says Nothing About This. The Constitution Says Simple Majority, 51 Votes.”
  • Wall Street Journal: Using Nuclear Option Is Better Than Letting “A Willful Minority Deny The President’s Nominees A Vote On The Senate Floor.”
  • National Review editor Rich Lowry: Judicial Filibusters Are “A Perversion” Of Traditional Checks And Balances And Should Be Eliminated “Through The So-Called Nuclear Option.”
  • Karl Rove: “We Believe That Fairness Means That [Nominees] Deserve An Up-Or-Down Vote.”
  • Pat Robertson: “These Filibusters Have Been Unconstitutional. And The Senate, I Just Think The Majority Should Say, `Look, We Want An Up And Down Vote.’”

I believe most of those are from 2005.

Nice to be back after my 3rd ban in as many weeks! Warning to fellow ot'ers: stay out of gaming side during launch month! Tempting and hilarious it may be, just not worth it...

...anyway, could not believe Reid finally did it. Almost needed the smelling salts yesterday when I saw the news.

A friend of mine always says that liberals probably make up a solid % of Rush viewers and Fox listeners, waiting to be outraged. I couldn't care less what Rush has to say, and neither does most of the country (thankfully).
I admit I watch fox. But rush and many of the right wing "crazy statements" are of zero consequence and more of a symptom than a cause of right wing radicalism.

I just feel like liberals get too worked up over silly things like a provocative and stupid analogy rather than things that matter.

Ted Cruz Readies Second Attempt To Peg Obamacare Repeal To Budget Deal

95a898eef5ab45dda0e2493333cc40cc.gif

Then Madison shouldnt have created a system that will lead to two party rule where people fluctuate back and forth when people are pissed off at the government.
Madison was well aware of the evils of "faction" (as he called it) and thought that having an "extensive republic" would mitigate the problems of factions. Of course now that the Internet has made geographical distance irrelevant, it looks like no amount of extensive-ness will be able to prevent the same factions from being the only two factions nation-wide...

I don't hang on every word of the Untold History of America documentary, and it doesn't surprise me in the least to see it lambasted on various fronts as that's generally how it goes with every single docu out there that touches on social/political/etc subjects---but outright exposure to the lot of it is probably rather important(as opposed just just mild amusement, like some sort of Alex Jones thing) as it is essentially a thing that wouldn't have happened had much of US History and perceptions not been SO very whitewashed for the last good while and continues to be with zeal for ongoing things we are getting quite wrong.

I laughed, but then I was sad.
The new chair of Washington state's Republican party accused her colleagues this week of playing into the "war on women" narrative against the GOP by denying her equal pay for equal work.

Susan Hutchison pulls in a salary of $75,000 a year -- a $20,000 cut from the salary earned by her male predecessor -- and tried unsuccessfully to request a pay raise last weekend, according to an internal party memo sent Monday and obtained by the Seattle Times.

“The pay cut defies the concept of equal pay for equal work, playing into the ‘war on women’ narrative against Republicans," Hutchison wrote in the memo, as quoted by the newspaper. She also argued the vote to deny the pay raise violated the party's bylaws and could be construed as "discriminatory and vindictive.”​

The new chair of Washington state's Republican party accused her colleagues this week of playing into the "war on women" narrative against the GOP by denying her equal pay for equal work.

Susan Hutchison pulls in a salary of $75,000 a year -- a $20,000 cut from the salary earned by her male predecessor -- and tried unsuccessfully to request a pay raise last weekend, according to an internal party memo sent Monday and obtained by the Seattle Times.

“The pay cut defies the concept of equal pay for equal work, playing into the ‘war on women’ narrative against Republicans," Hutchison wrote in the memo, as quoted by the newspaper. She also argued the vote to deny the pay raise violated the party's bylaws and could be construed as "discriminatory and vindictive.”​

Ouch

Jeez, did they justify the cut?

Maybe there's a problem with your party and it's stance towards people who are not white males?

Aylinato

Jeez, did they justify the cut?

Maybe there's a problem with your party and it's stance towards people who are not white males?

It probably went like this, "she's a woman and has to take pay off because of those times of the month" -Republican Party. (I've heard this exact arguement from republicans before)

GhaleonEB

Gotta pay her less so that you save money on her temp worker when she starts popping out babies

I wonder what it would take for her to have an epiphany about the implications of her pay cut. You'd think this would do it. She thinks it just plays into the Democratic framing around the 'war on women', rather than being the kind of thing they're actually talking about.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Maybe, just maybe, her bubble will pop

I can hope

I wonder what it would take for her to have an epiphany about the implications of her pay cut. You'd think this would do it. She thinks it just plays into the Democratic framing around the 'war on women', rather than being the kind of thing they're actually talking about.
I completely missed that she only claimed it 'played into' rather than actually being a war on women (which is a stupid name anyways, not everything is a war)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I completely missed that she only claimed it 'played into' rather than actually being a war on women (which is a stupid name anyways, not everything is a war)
This is true, sometimes it's a jihad :eek:

Edit:
Jihad on Christmas
Wonder if Fox News would have the balls to run that as a headline.

Yeah with the way the website's going and another shutdown that's probably gonna happen I think the Dems will probably regain their lead in 2014.

The only incumbent I can see losing is Pryor, and maybe we can reverse the Dems fortunes in the South Dakota, Montana and West Virginia races because they're fielding strong candidates.

Yeah with the way the website's going and another shutdown that's probably gonna happen I think the Dems will probably regain their lead in 2014.

The only incumbent I can see losing is Pryor, and maybe we can reverse the Dems fortunes in the South Dakota, Montana and West Virginia races because they're fielding strong candidates.
The candidates in Montana and West Virginia look good on paper but I don't know.

Hoping all the incumbents hold their seats and we can pick off Georgia or Kentucky.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The candidates in Montana and West Virginia look good on paper but I don't know.

Hoping all the incumbents hold their seats and we can pick off Georgia or Kentucky.

Montana? There was a PPP poll just the other day that said the Dem was getting his ass handed to him. Or was that North Dakota?

Montana? There was a PPP poll just the other day that said the Dem was getting his ass handed to him. Or was that North Dakota?

Montana.

Georgia could be a pick up but it'll be very tough. One of the prominent tea party candidates just had his campaign essentially blown up by resigning advisers. Kentucky...not going to happen, let it go.

Stossel is dedicating a whole show to #realcharity

One segment he says philanthropy is bad. Its better for rich people to grow their business than to give to charity since charity doesn't work (He literally said it can't work). He chided bill gates for his foundation.

The next is why government aid to places like Africa will never work and only private charity can work and government has NO place.

This man is a vile ayn rand clone.

Just last week on his show he was talking about how the government shouldn't have welfare because rich people will pick up the slack.
Now he brought on a guest to talk about Libertarians are the truly caring people.

Btw why are libertarians almost always white rich guys?

Yeah that's why I don't know. Like I said Walsh is a good candidate on paper but he might not be able to overcome the state's lean. Same with Tennant in West Virginia.

PhoenixPause said:
Georgia could be a pick up but it'll be very tough. One of the prominent tea party candidates just had his campaign essentially blown up by resigning advisers. Kentucky...not going to happen, let it go.
Luckily there are four teabaggers in that race!

As for Kentucky, it's less likely than Georgia, I'll give you that. But Grimes is an amazingly strong candidate, and McConnell couldn't be more flawed. Also healthcare reform won't be the albatross it would be in other red states because KYnect has been working extremely well.

Right now I'd say Dems lose 3 seats in the Senate. Lose MT, WV, SD, AR while picking up GA. That's the best case scenario while still plausible.

The guy on stossel:

"You can only be sincere if you put your money were your mouth is"

This is what its all about. If you don't have money you're voice is worthless and not worthy of being seriously listened to.

East Lake

Stossel is dedicating a whole show to #realcharity

One segment he says philanthropy is bad. Its better for rich people to grow their business than to give to charity since charity doesn't work (He literally said it can't work). He chided bill gates for his foundation.

The next is why government aid to places like Africa will never work and only private charity can work and government has NO place.

This man is a vile ayn rand clone.

Just last week on his show he was talking about how the government shouldn't have welfare because rich people will pick up the slack.
Now he brought on a guest to talk about Libertarians are the truly caring people.

Btw why are libertarians almost always white rich guys?
Rand doesn't even like private charity. They can't go full Rand.

Will there be a time in the not so distant future in which everyone will be able to afford food and medical care thanks to advancements in technology. We see things like urban farming and nanotechnology popping up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom