• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should be praying the GOP don't make any more gains next year, there's no way the GOP is gonna lost the House with the website going the way it is.
tumblr_m644llLyWk1rwcc6bo1_250.gif

I remain unconvinced. SCOTUS doesn't surprise me anymore.

Remember when they were going to overturn the ACA?

Didn't happen. Won't happen here.

And before you mention the VRA, the previous ruling by the SCOTUS outwardly told us they were going to do this if Congress didn't act. They're still wrong, but it was completely unsurprising.

I'm not worried in the slightest. When Mamba has a steady hand, lay back and enjoy life. :)

Reading the rest of that, while I wouldn't use the same rhetoric in some cases, I'd have a hard time substantively disagreeing with much of it. Am I to believe that his emphasis on "human beings" is a swipe at corporate personhood? I'd like to think so.

I don't see it as that. Its not US specific. I see it as the lack of focus on improvements in lives and quality of life rather than just more profits!

The stock market is at a all time high, record profits, 4% growth! If this doesn't help PEOPLE what does it matter?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I don't see it as that. Its not US specific. I see it as the lack of focus on improvements in lives and quality of life rather than just more profits!
Haha, I know, but it'd be nice to get that idea of "human beings" into people's heads so they can turn around and realize that certain economic entities aren't "human beings".

Haha, I know, but it'd be nice to get that idea of "human beings" into people's heads so they can turn around and realize that certain economic entities aren't "human beings".

That's a part of it I just don't think it was 'a swipe.' The fetishation of corporate personhood is a symptom of a wider depersonalization and marketization of life and relationships

If I recall correctly, I was never in the "they're definitely going to overturn it" camp.

Probably not. But many were. I wasn't, of course.

Regardless, it makes no sense for this aspect of the law to have different rulings in different districts. The law needs to be clarified. And assuming it goes the way I think it will go, it will be a really good thing because it will clarify, once and for all, the relationship religion has within a company.

I really can't imagine the SCOTUS allowing a corporation to impose their religion on others. That would be such a mess outside of the context of the ACA.

Remember when they were going to overturn the ACA?

Didn't happen. Won't happen here.

And before you mention the VRA, the previous ruling by the SCOTUS outwardly told us they were going to do this if Congress didn't act. They're still wrong, but it was completely unsurprising.

I'm not worried in the slightest. When Mamba has a steady hand, lay back and enjoy life. :)

Has poligaf extended your contract two more years for 50M yet?

I never thought I'd see the day when the Pope says capitalism kills. Straight up, no bullshit, no reading between the lines.

Yeah. I mean it makes sense for a pope to be economically liberal, but to actually state that massively rich people are responsible for killing the poor indirectly through the economic system is pretty blunt.

This has to be one of the most deceptive PAC ads I've seen
Conservative Super PAC Links Enzi To Wyoming Health Exchange In New Ad

A conservative super PAC plans to release a new ad linking Sen. Mike Enzi (R-WY) to his state's healthcare exchange website.

The television ad, first reported by Politico, was produced by Americans for Job Security and includes clips of Enzi speaking during a 2010 conference with Obama and lawmakers discussing Obamacare and the state exchanges. The spot will air Monday.

"I like the exchanges," Enzi is quoted as saying in the ad. "These exchanges can be good."

"Good?" a voiceover in the ad responded. "Wyoming's Obamacare exchange has the most expensive premiums in the country, and it's marred by glitches."

The ad ends with the tagline "tell Mike Enzi we don't like these liberal, Big Government Obamacare exchanges."

Enzi, one of the most conservative members of the Senate, voted against the Affordable Care Act back in 2010. He also supports efforts to repeal the law.

Enzi is currently facing a primary challenge from Republican Liz Cheney, the daughter of former Vice President Dick Cheney.

Watch the ad below:
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewi...enzi-to-wyoming-healthcare-exchange-in-new-ad

that last shot, wow

What was he signing in that shot? Post office bill?

Whatever it was, it must have been the most non-controversial thing ever to even get Enzi to attend the signing. This is just ugly politics, and highlights why Washington is broken. I wonder how many republicans simply don't attend signing ceremonies, even for bills they support, due to shit like this.

A working website won't make the news but a broken one will. The damage is done no matter what happens until people forget altogether and move on to the next thing.

The bad side of being on a forum with lots of people in their teens and early 20's - it means lots of people who've read Ayn Rand or well, Ron Paul for the first time.

The lack of self awareness in this post is hilarious. Being on a website with people in their teens and early 20's produces far more idealised left wing politics than Ayn Rand followership.

gcubed

So, Logan basically destroyed her career with the Benghazi piece on 60 minutes. The internal audit destroyed her and her and the producer are on "leaves of absence". Good

Also did anyone see the be IRS proposal for non profit PACs?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So, Logan basically destroyed her career with the Benghazi piece on 60 minutes. The internal audit destroyed her and her and the producer are on "leaves of absence". Good

Well she might have destroyed her reputation as a journalist, but at least there'll be a position available at Fox News soon. They're always in need of another big breasted blonde.

Yep. Has the potential to be a BFD from what I hear.

Averon

Yeah, Logan will fit well at Fox. She's the kind of reporter Fox likes: pretty, blonde, and willing to ignore facts when needed.

gcubed

Well she might have destroyed her reputation as a journalist, but at least there'll be a position available at Fox News soon. They're always in need of another big breasted blonde.

Yep. Has the potential to be a BFD from what I hear.

Yea the irs rules seem pretty huge... Like just basically destroys all nonprofit pacs

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Frankly, the fact that she didn't even bother to do a basic fact check is disgusting. They had a source at the FBI, would it have killed them to give the guy a call to confirm the story before running it? They both deserve the shit they get.

ivysaur12

Banned
Logan's POV is very pro-military. In her mind, there's no way that she couldn't tell this story because it was The Truth, and any inconsistencies wouldn't matter because what she was telling was obviously what ended up happening anyway.

Except it wasn't.

gcubed

Frankly, the fact that she didn't even bother to do a basic fact check is disgusting. They had a source at the FBI, would it have killed them to give the guy a call to confirm the story before running it? They both deserve the shit they get.

The internal report said that "internal sources said that the FBI report was the same as the CBS segment"

The entire thing was a huge embarrassment and the best part was the conservative push because of it that just disappeared

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The internal report said that "internal sources said that the FBI report was the same as the CBS segment"

The entire thing was a huge embarrassment and the best part was the conservative push because of it that just disappeared

I thought the testimony that he gave the FBI was different than what he told 60 Minutes.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Not sure why this is a bad thing. There are like 85 different rulings on this. One of the most important reasons the SCOTUS take a case is to stop multiple rulings in different districts to make things clear. It was inevitable this case was going to be taken up.

Furthermore, I'm confident the law will hold up. Besides the case you brought up with Scalia, even if they change their mind and rule in favor of religious beliefs for corporations, it will still fail under strict scrutiny. It's obvious a legitimate gov't interest to provide birth control to women, it obviously narrowly tailored to accomplish that goal, and I think it could be argued to be the least restrictive means (they'll find some hodge-podge way of arguing this).

Not that I even think it will come down to strict scrutiny. The idea that a corporation can cite religion in an attempt to affect the way their employees consume a service mandated buy law is absurd and even this Court won't buy it (well, Thomas will for sure). Ruling in favor would open pandora's box to a lot of things. "My religion says sickness is god's will, therefor i am exempt from employer mandate." yeah, not happening.

Four out of 9 justices said that the entire affordable care act should be thrown out ass part of a legal ruling. Not just the mandate. The whole law. And the only reason Roberts ruled in favor of the administration was to save face for the supreme court.

Scalia and Thomas are from another planet. Roberts and alito usually align themselves with these two nuts, kennedy more often than not, and breyer on occasion.

That's 4-6 justices that are consistently or occasionally on the side of "What the FUCK?" in their rulings.

Piecake

The lack of self awareness in this post is hilarious. Being on a website with people in their teens and early 20's produces far more idealised left wing politics than Ayn Rand followership.

Teens and early 20s being more liberal is myth, likely a product of the 60s. Its during your late teens and early 20s when your political views expand and then harden. Your politcal views at 25 are very likely to be the political views for the rest of your life. Lot of data to back that up.

For example, young people in the 80s much preferred Reagan and Republicans to democrats, and that voting pattern has held up for that generation.

Millennials definitely do lean democrat though.

Teens and early 20s being more liberal is myth, likely a product of the 60s. Its during your late teens and early 20s when your political views expand and then harden. Your politcal views at 25 are very likely to be the political views for the rest of your life. Lot of data to back that up.

For example, young people in the 80s much preferred Reagan and Republicans to democrats, and that voting pattern has held up for that generation.

Millennials definitely do lean democrat though.

I didn't say they were historically always left, but they are left today.

Just an all around shitshow

Yup. And when this happened to Dan Rather from the other side, the amount of criticism was staggering in the mostly non-social media days.

The so-called liberal media is so afraid of being accused by the conservative media of being unfair that they generally afraid to criticize when it is warranted. So fucking annoying.

This should have been a major scandal all the networks pushed hard.

gcubed

Yup. And when this happened to Dan Rather from the other side, the amount of criticism was staggering in the mostly non-social media days.

The so-called liberal media is so afraid of being accused by the conservative media of being unfair that they generally afraid to criticize when it is warranted. So fucking annoying.

Yup, its embarrassing that all there is is a random story here and there on NPR when one of the biggest news shows fabricates an entire story... all because it's left and not right. If it wasn't expected it'd be sad.

Four out of 9 justices said that the entire affordable care act should be thrown out ass part of a legal ruling. Not just the mandate. The whole law. And the only reason Roberts ruled in favor of the administration was to save face for the supreme court.

Scalia and Thomas are from another planet. Roberts and alito usually align themselves with these two nuts, kennedy more often than not, and breyer on occasion.

That's 4-6 justices that are consistently or occasionally on the side of "What the FUCK?" in their rulings.

I think the justices had a sound legal reason to determine the individual mandate as unconstitutional. I'm glad Roberts found a way around it and I sided on the position that the gov't, based on the precedents of the ICC in the past, was Constitutional in the ACA but just barely (personally, I believe Wickard should be overturned).

I think both sides had legally sound arguments unlike in many other cases (ie gay marriage) and I actually understood the issues Kennedy had. But Kennedy's fears about the application of the ACA, to me, appear almost identical to fears he'd have about allowing corporations to impose religious beliefs on employees.

The Court has unanimous rulings all the time, too. It's not like they're always WHAT THE FUCK. And there are 7-2 and 6-3 and stuff as well (I'd imagine 6-3 or 7-2 here). Thomas will definitely go the wrong way but the others might not. Dax posted a case Scalia penned, for example, that would be a large guiding for these rulings to come.

It will stand. I'm very confident of this. About as confident I was that DOMA was done for.

Yup, its embarrassing that all there is is a random story here and there on NPR when one of the biggest news shows fabricates an entire story... all because it's left and not right. If it wasn't expected it'd be sad.

It's infuriating is what it is.

Piecake

I didn't say they were historically always left, but they are left today.

Sorry, it just seemed from your tone that you prescribed to the erroneous belief that young people are always more idealist and liberal and we get more conservative with age.

The whole thing with Rand is that that philosophy really resonates with, well, selfish egotists. Teenagers are, generally, more self-absorbed, so that sort of philosophy more easily resonates with that group than others. Most people eventually stop being so self absorbed. I know I was more self-aborbed then as well. Not in an egotiscal way. I was just a lot more focused on what others thought about me, where I stood, etc, who i was, etc.

Course, this doesnt mean that all Rand lovers are like that and havent grown up. It just seems like a very common theme among young people.

pigeon

Banned
A working website won't make the news but a broken one will. The damage is done no matter what happens until people forget altogether and move on to the next thing.

This is kind of the point, though. It doesn't make sense to say "the damage is done until people forget." If the website becomes basically functional (and it seems to be doing so) then the damage is only political. If the damage is only political, then when people forget, there's no more damage.

So the way to fight a reactive media machine is to create another reactive media machine and crush the Rathers and Logans on the world. She made a silly mistake, it happens. You see a major story and you jump on it, she didn't check was she was doing and was punished for it.

pigeon

Banned
So the way to fight a reactive media machine is to create another reactive media machine and crush the Rathers and Logans on the world. She made a silly mistake, it happens.

This is a little like saying "so she performed an unnecessary amputation, it happens." The fact that it happens often enough to say this is the real symptom here of a profession in deep decay from performance pressures that are orthogonal to actually doing a good job. Responding to this by drawing attention to the failings of the news organization that allowed it is pretty much the only way to try to discourage irresponsible behavior of this nature -- as long as being first is more important than being right, that's the way the reporters will work. If we want to change that, we need to change the incentive to do so.

So the way to fight a reactive media machine is to create another reactive media machine and crush the Rathers and Logans on the world. She made a silly mistake, it happens. You see a major story and you jump on it, she didn't check was she was doing and was punished for it.

But how many people realize their report was erroneous?

When it happened to Rather, everyone and their mother knew the report was wrong because the news media bombarded us with it.

I'm fine with the argument that she made a mistake and paid the price, so it shouldn't be that big a deal. But my problem here is that if a liberal made this mistake, then the story would be huge and the non-conservative media would be all over it to show how non-biased they are.

It's bullshit. Either go after everyone who fucks up hard or don't. Don't do it based on politics.

People have gone harder on Bashir because he screwed up his implication that someone should shit in Palin's mouth when he should have said Palin's been shitting in our mouths, instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom