• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's really scary, hopefully this doesn't happen. :x
I doubt it'll happen, because Ted Cruz's entire schtick is based on the illusion of popular support for his antics. He loses that if he filibusters the debt deal.

He'd be putting an end to his career, and let's face it: that's what really matters to Mr. Cruz, isn't it?

I doubt it'll happen, because Ted Cruz's entire schtick is based on the illusion of popular support for his antics. He loses that if he filibusters the debt deal.

He'd be putting an end to his career, and let's face it: that's what really matters to Mr. Cruz, isn't it?

guys
guys
what if the Tea Party....
turns on Ted Cruz for being a RINO
*gasp*

Plus, couldn't they nuke the filibuster rules if it came to that?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

The presidential primaries are the only thing that matters to Cruz.

If he believes default wouldn't be so bad, and that it would help him in the primary polls, why wouldn't he do it? All he has to do is take us past the default, prove that the sky didn't fall, and all republicans would come fully onto his side.

I guess it all depends on how bad Ted Cruz really believes the default will be. I haven't heard a quote from him about what he believes about this, but all of his friends seem to think this is the case.

Riki

Nah, man, Superman is just hiding out in there.

superman-in-the-heart-of-the-sun.jpg

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
And end his (already slim) chance of ever being president? Not worried about him doing that at all.

Well, at the very least it could be fun to concern troll die hard Cruz supporters by showing them he could have easily avoided the deal but did nothing.

Karakand

CHEEZMO™;86056528 said:
I've been wanting to revive it the last couple of days. Maybe if I see something interesting I'll post it there.

IIRC it had gone to shit by the time it died, a failed reading group, someone disingenuously whining about the Soviet Union's trade union policies, etc.

Verso Books is gonna publish a collection of essays about its collapse.

Hold up. How did we miss this.

What the fuck is it even saying?!?!

Sounds like that old meme of anything other than what we've had being riddled with lines and rationing.

The presidential primaries are the only thing that matters to Cruz.

If he believes default wouldn't be so bad, and that it would help him in the primary polls, why wouldn't he do it? All he has to do is take us past the default, prove that the sky didn't fall, and all republicans would come fully onto his side.

I guess it all depends on how bad Ted Cruz really believes the default will be. I haven't heard a quote from him about what he believes about this, but all of his friends seem to think this is the case.

Cruz is an arrogant, dishonest blowhard - but he's not an idiot.

If we default, the sky will in fact fall, and everyone - left, right, and center - will blame Ted Cruz. How couldn't they? He's the one who made it happen.

He, like much of the reactionary Right, has a remarkable ability to deflect responsibility for disastrous policies toward Obama. Remember - Obamaquester? Or how 'Obama' wanted the immigration bill to fail for political reasons? Or how 'Obama' shut down the government? The Tea Party eats it up - because if it hurts the GOP, it must be Obama's fault. But what does that get you? Maybe 25% of the popular vote.

My opinion is that Ted Cruz probably won't ever be president. He forces a default, his chances drop to zero. He knows this.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
*McConnell promptly shoots Ted Cruz on the Senate floor*

Cruz: I intend to speak for the next 20 hours against this disgraceful unconditional surrender, if that's all right with you, Reid.

Reid (confidently): Please proceed, senator

Sorry for the delay, but better late than never.

Can you explain the mechanism by which making late payments to your creditors needn't raise your cost of borrowing? I'm not being sarcastic, I just don't think I'm taking your point.

There are two mechanisms, although one requires fundamentally altering the means by which the Treasury deficit spends. First, the Federal Reserve ultimately sets interest rates exogenously. Whether this holds under default circumstances I am less clear about (particularly severe and persistent default). If you want to get technical about how interest rates are set exogenously, read this (PDF).

The second mechanism is to change the law to stop arbitrarily linking the size of the government’s bond program to its deficit spending, i.e., to pass a law instructing the Federal Reserve to credit the Treasury’s account directly in the amount of any deficit spending it must incur (this is basically like minting a coin, except less childish). This acknowledges that bond sales do not actually fund the government (as does minting a coin) and are just a service the government offers providing risk-free investment instruments (i.e., savings accounts). The US government never has need of borrowing to spend US dollars. It is a political choice to legally link these things and to artificially constrain the government in this manner. This is ultimately why investors have no real leverage unless the government chooses to allow it.

And, again, I do not support defaulting. What I support is abandoning the pretense that we are powerless in the face of the threat to default (or, should it come down to it, default itself). The crisis is completely artificial, and can mostly be chalked up to the idiotic laws that govern Treasury spending.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Hold up. How did we miss this.

What the fuck is it even saying?!?!

He's saying the only reason Obamacare is popular is because people are forced to buy it. I imagine we might be hearing that one for a while.

He's saying the only reason Obamacare is popular is because people are forced to buy it. I imagine we might be hearing that one for a while.

Plus, to be fair, he means it as a refutation to Sebelius's line about how the public should be giving the government the same slack they give Apple when they launch an iPhone.

ivysaur12

Banned
I think it's saying that people wait for an iPhone because they want it. People wait for Obamacare because the government is forcing them to buy insurance.

Right. But. Like. I mean.

Ugh.

Plus, to be fair, he means it as a refutation to Sebelius's line about how the public should be giving the government the same slack they give Apple when they launch an iPhone.

But that has nothing to do with waiting in lines to buy something, just the general world of tech launches.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I think it's saying that people wait for an iPhone because they want it. People wait for Obamacare because the government is forcing them to buy insurance.
Because we all know people looking into signing up in the first week, months before they have to are doing it not because they want to, but because they're being forced to.

Healthcare.gov is still a steaming pile of hot mess.

If Teapartiers waited, they could have successfully overturned the country's opinion on Obamacare by a huge percentage. It's been two weeks now.

Posted? Son of slain Sikh temple leader running as Democrat to challenge Paul Ryan in Wisconsin.
The son of a Wisconsin Sikh temple leader who was among those slain last year by a white supremacist says he intends to run for Congress and challenge House Budget Chairman Paul Ryan.

Amardeep Kaleka told the Associated Press that he wants to bring accountability and transparency back to Washington, and blames Ryan and his fellow Republicans for the partial government shutdown. Kaleka has been a staunch advocate for gun control, and called on Congress to impose stricter background checks on gun owners.

"There's a fever in the nation, and specifically in this district, for our leaders to stop playing politics and do their jobs," Kaleka said in his AP interview. "All I want to do is bring democracy — a government of, for and by the people — back to America."

Kaleka's father, Satwant Singh Kaleka, was the founder and president of the Milwaukee-area Sikh temple where six people were killed. Wade Michael Page walked into the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin in August 2012 and opened fire on several priests and worshipers. Page, who played in neo-Nazi bands, fatally shot himself after he was wounded in the parking lot by responding police.

Kaleka, 35, intends to run as a Democrat and file his paperwork Wednesday to form an exploratory committee.
He helped organize a candlelight vigil this summer to mark the one-year anniversary of the mass shooting.

Ryan, the 2012 GOP vice presidential nominee, has been targeted by Democrats before in Wisconsin's 1st Congressional District. He easily won an eighth term in the House last year, even as he and Mitt Romney lost the presidential election.

Ryan marked the one-year anniversary of the shooting in Oak Creek, Wis., with a statement condemning the "senseless act of violence" and praising retired Lt. Brian Murphy, the first police officer to respond to the scene.

"Since that fateful day, the people of Oak Creek have come together," Ryan said in his statement. "They refuse to let violence shake their community."

A Senate bill to expand background checks on gun owners was rejected this spring, and is unlikely to come up in the Republican-controlled House.
A brown man with gun control message in Paul Ryan's backyard? Yeah, not likely. But at least it will divert some of RNC's money.

If Teapartiers waited, they could have successfully overturned the country's opinion on Obamacare by a huge percentage. It's been two weeks now.

Yea, that is just bad by the administration at this point. This shit needs to get fixed. People need to sign up for insurance by end of year.

Obama needs to get on HHS's ass and get this taken care of.

Yea, that is just bad by the administration at this point. This shit needs to get fixed. People need to sign up for insurance by end of year.

Obama needs to get on HHS's ass and get this taken care of.

A problem like this doesn't happen overnight and it certainly won't be solved in that amount of time either. Code review and correction takes a lot of time, money, and effort when a site is offline but the fact that it's technically in production makes it that much worse.

A problem like this doesn't happen overnight and it certainly won't be solved in that amount of time either. Code review and correction takes a lot of time, money, and effort when a site is offline but the fact that it's technically in production makes it that much worse.

I know, I work in Software. We launched 2 weeks ago, they need to aim to have it all squared away as much as possible in 2 weeks.

The big deal here is people need to sign up this year or they get the mandate fines I believe. I hope the administration has a big sense of urgency around it.

Karakand

The big deal here is people need to sign up this year or they get the mandate fines I believe. I hope the administration has a big sense of urgency around it.

You get 3 months of time without insurance in calendar year 2014 before being subject to fines, but people shouldn't have to waste that because someone decided to run an exercise in reinforcing the ol' "government can't do it like the private sector" meme.

You get 3 months of time without insurance in calendar year 2014 before being subject to fines, but people shouldn't have to waste that because someone decided to run an exercise in reinforcing the ol' "government can't do it like the private sector" meme.

And never mind that it's the private sector that's doing it!

Yup, we need to keep this crisis going for another week so they fix this shit.

They better had been working today

But while both Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the Republican leader, and Senator Harry Reid of Nevada, the Democratic leader, praised the progress that was made in the Senate, it was already clear that the most conservative members of the House were not going to go along quietly with a plan that does not accomplish their goal from the outset of this two-week-old crisis: dismantling the president’s health care law.

“We’ve got a name for it in the House: it’s called the Senate surrender caucus,” said Representative Tim Huelskamp, Republican of Kansas. “Anybody who would vote for that in the House as Republican would virtually guarantee a primary challenger.”

815293113.gif

Chait on a roll tonight:

"B]This is a huge win for those Republicans who got into the shutdown to help unions. For those who had other goals, it's basically a total surrender. [/B]The policy changes attached to the deal appear to be minor, and reciprocal — each party got something of roughly equal value, so the deal could have occurred without the threat of default or shutdown. Democrats probably will have succeeded in their overall goal of giving Republicans nothing through extortion they could not have gotten through regular legislation.
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/10/senators-near-deal-on-gop-surrender.html

Regarding the Obamacare websites, the Dem base should be going around blaming the gov't shutdown on that and put it on the GOP. People already somewhat believe it, the GOP doesn't give 2 shits about lying, it's time to play dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom