• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sen. Ted Cruz met with roughly 15 to 20 House Republicans for around two hours late Monday night at the Capitol Hill watering hole Tortilla Coast.

The group appeared to be talking strategy about how they should respond to a tentative Senate deal to reopen the government and raise the debt ceiling without addressing Obamacare in a substantive way, according to sources who witnessed the gathering. The Texas Republican senator and many of the House Republicans in attendance had insisted on including amendments aimed at dismantling Obamacare in the continuing resolution that was intended to avert the current shutdown.

Sources said the House Republicans meeting in the basement of Tortilla Coast with Cruz were some of the most conservative in the House: Reps. Louie Gohmert of Texas, Steve King of Iowa, Jim Jordan of Ohio, Tom Cotton of Arkansas, Raúl R. Labrador of Idaho, Steve Southerland II of Florida, Mark Meadows of North Carolina and Justin Amash of Michigan.

The group is a collection of members who have often given leadership headaches in recent years by opposing both compromise measures as well as packages crafted by fellow Republicans. And, it seems, leadership unwittingly became aware of the meetup.

While the dinner meeting was held in a private basement room, the group was spotted by Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., who was dining with some other members, including Gregg Harper, R-Miss. McCarthy is a regular at the Capitol Hill restaurant, and a source said he seemed particularly interested in what the group was up to.

While the emerging deal to reopen the government and hike the debt ceiling increase may have been a hot topic, it was not immediately clear what the group actually discussed. But the fact that such a group met with Cruz at all could give House GOP leaders even more heartburn as they consider themselves what to do if the Senate passes the measure.

The deal that is materializing in the Senate is one that Cruz and his House compatriots are unlikely to endorse. But it appears to be one that can pass both chambers with bipartisan support.

Of course, Cruz and his allies in the Senate could decide to attempt a filibuster of the deal, but doing so would likely push any Senate vote on final passage past the Thursday deadline to raise the debt ceiling. That would mean Cruz and his allies would bear the brunt of any political consequences that might come from a default, including a potential dramatic downturn in the stock market and/or the world economy. Conversely, allowing the deal to move through the Senate without a fight could cost Cruz his pugnacious conservative credentials.

But from the genesis of the fight to link government funding to defunding Obamacare, Cruz has primarily tried to keep the pressure on, and the fight in, the House.

Lol Speaker Cruz going behind leadership.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Lol Speaker Cruz going behind leadership.

Ha yeah, that's been his MO since the beginning. Screw everything but what makes Cruz look good in the primaries.

He's just trying to make sure the vote gets little support as possible to embarrass the establishment, not making sure we default.

This is a huge win for those Republicans who got into the shutdown to help unions. For those who had other goals, it's basically a total surrender.

Oh god this is amazing. These next few days will be almost as satisfying as the night Obama was reelected.

People buy stacks of food due to a price glitch = Horrible human beings, worthless low lives.

People buy 40 copies of Metro Last Light or EAs Entire Catalog over a price glitch = Got a good deal and its the companies fault.

leroidys

People buy stacks of food due to a price glitch = Horrible human beings, worthless low lives.

People buy 40 copies of Metro Last Light or EAs Entire Catalog over a price glitch = Got a good deal and its the companies fault.

Yeah well food is a privilege, but owning 300 games you've never played is a right guaranteed by our constitution.

Yeah well food is a privilege, but owning 300 games you've never played is a right guaranteed by our constitution.

Wouldn't Walmart just throw out half that food anyway? Serious question. I've heard companies throw out a disgusting amount of food.

EDIT - And the manage gave them the okay to buy all that food with the glitch anyway didn't they? I thought someone said that in the thread.

Unstable

I thought the hilarious part was when the guy claimed he was taken out of context. Nearly spit out my water.
"I didn't intend for this to be racist oriented at all".
lol
You know what? I believe him. If he honestly thought that that the ACA was pay back for slavery, he sure as hell wouldn't be able to understand why putting that sign up would be offensive.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/10/senators-near-deal-on-gop-surrender.html

Regarding the Obamacare websites, the Dem base should be going around blaming the gov't shutdown on that and put it on the GOP. People already somewhat believe it, the GOP doesn't give 2 shits about lying, it's time to play dirty.
My reading of the article in the Times suggests to me that it would not be totally disingenuous to blame Republicans for some of the IT difficulties.

Diablos

Stop masturbating, Cruz. Just stop. Please.

‏@robertcostaNRO 27m
House GOP very likely to ask for changes to emerging Senate deal, leadership will not embrace as is
And here we go.

Fucking vote on it.

CzarTim

I don't understand why the old guard republicans even consider the tea party a part of their party. There's clearly three separate parties in the US government and pretending that one of them is in the majority had been disastrous.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Senate bill was passed too earily it seems. Republican's probably think they have time to go one more round and get the final say.

Diablos

How much later should it have been? 11:59pm on Wednesday?

No, they'll keep going until they get something that satisfies Ted Cruz.

I am irate.

thefro

I am irate.

Those nutjobs either think 1) nothing bad will really happen or that 2) they "really" have until Nov 1st before we'll default "for sure"

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I am irate.

Honestly, yeah. 11:59pm on Wednesday may have always been the only time to get this done.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's just bluster. 50 republican nutjobs won't have boner force the country to default.

Vitter is now only for members.

Great way to ensure non rich people ever attempted to run.

But how do house rs really sit there with a straight face and say the senate bill sucks but this is so much better?

Vitter is now only for members.

Great way to ensure non rich people ever attempted to run.

But how do house rs really sit there with a straight face and say the senate bill sucks but this is so much better?

Exactly my thought. The House's counterproposal, per Costa:

Robert Costa ‏@robertcostaNRO 7m
Part Four: Obamacare for members, Cabinet members (version of Vitter language)

Robert Costa ‏@robertcostaNRO 7m
Part Three: Income verification

Robert Costa ‏@robertcostaNRO 8m
Part Two: 2 year med device suspension

Robert Costa ‏@robertcostaNRO 8m
Part One: CR to 1/15, debt limit to 2/7

This? This is what you shut down the government for? This is the epic victory?

The vitter applying only to members, the med device tax and the reinsurance fee being the big parts of this deal tell you a lot about who runs DC and for whom they run it.

Diablos

They sang amazing grace at their meeting this morning. These people are something else.
Cult. Sick cult. No exaggeration when I say that.

I don't even think I want to know what some of these people do in their private lives... seriously... they are so warped.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
They will just repeat the hostage taking in Jan/Feb again.

Exactly. Their epic victory is proving they can get at least some of what they want as a minority, while still insuring the other side gets absolutely nothing.

Just as this is about more than the terms to Obama, this is about more than the terms to Republicans as well.

Diablos

OK. Sounds good to me. They repeat this and there is not enough gerrymandering in this world that will save them
I don't even think they care... this is like a holy mission of sorts to them...

Ideological and economic terrorism in the name of some warped view of the constitution and Jesus Christ.

OK. Sounds good to me. They repeat this and there is not enough gerrymandering in this world that will save them

Yep. Agreed 100%. Are we not witnessing the destruction of their viability as a national party in real-time right now?

I mean COME ON

@robertcostaNRO
Because the way the House GOP is running now, and given the internal politics, even THIS bill will have its challenges, let alone a Sen deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom