• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.

ido

Eh, I think it's perfect right now. Make it clear that everyone understands why Boehner is doing what he's doing.

He will either be forgotten about completely in the history books(if everything passes cleanly in time before default), or remembered as the worst speaker of all time.

Maybe I'm being a little hyperbolic here. I dunno.

He will either be forgotten about completely in the history books(if everything passes cleanly in time before default), or remembered as the worst speaker of all time.

Maybe I'm being a little hyperbolic here. I dunno.
He'll be remembered: by future republican leaders, as a warning of what happens when you threaten the global economy for no reason.

To confirm, the GOP plan Issa said everyone felt "good" about and at whose unveiling they sang Amazing Grace, doesn't have the votes to get on the floor, let alone pass? Is that what I'm reading?

He'll be remembered: by future republican leaders, as a warning of what happens when you threaten the global economy for no reason.

You mean he'll be remembered as an example of what happens when you're not conservative enough!

I'm really happy with how the Dems have handled all of this. Pleasantly surprised.

Riki

You mean he'll be remembered as an example of what happens when you're not conservative enough!

I'm really happy with how the Dems have handled all of this. Pleasantly surprised.
They don't have a choice really. This is a final stand and it is, nearly literally, do or die.

GhaleonEB

To confirm, the GOP plan Issa said everyone felt "good" about and at whose unveiling they sang Amazing Grace, doesn't have the votes to get on the floor, let alone pass? Is that what I'm reading?

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/unbelievable-really--2

With the Senate nearing finalizing a debt limit/shutdown deal, House GOP leaders convened a meeting of their members and unveiled to them a counteroffer to the still-emerging Senate plan. Similar in key respects, but with additional demands that were designed to appeal to the conservatives in the House.

While that meeting was still going on, House leadership aides began briefing reporters on what the bill would contain. The White House quickly rejected the plan. But meanwhile, disenchantment among conservative members quickly began to brew in the conference meeting.

By the time Boehner emerged from the two-hour meeting to speak to reporters, he was very oblique about what the GOP plan would be, almost to the point of suggesting there still wasn't a plan yet. So it appears the House leadership's strategy has imploded almost as soon as it was unveiled.

GhaleonEB

Conservatives are now trying to add contraceptive language to bill; they're also upset at funding levels apparently.

The funding levels are already a total concession to them - they're set at the level the House agreed to. And LOL at the contraceptive language. Absolutely amazing.

I feel like we're watching the end of War Games. "Learn, dammit, learn."

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
We're boned aren't we? Why in god's name is Boehner letting this happen? It makes no sense in the long or short runs.

Meanwhile, down another street of Crazy Town...

Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli has been trying to downplay his outspoken opposition to abortion rights in his campaign for governor this year as part of an effort to win back the support of women voters.

But in his speech to the Christian Life Summit last year -- unearthed Monday night by NBC12 -- Cuccinelli said he is surprised that God has not yet "imposed" more judgement on America for allowing abortion to be legal.

"Really, given that God does judge nations, it's amazing that abortion has run as far and foully as it has, without what I would consider to be a greater imposition of judgment on this country," Cuccinelli said. "Who knows what the future holds?"

Guys the plagues are coming. And maybe hail fire! Who knows!

Boner is toast. Toasty boner.
TuNz6.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Folks, as a finance major please listen to me when I recommend putting everything you own into cattle.

When the world burns, we feast on grass fed filet mignon

Unless all your cattle burn

Someone needs to give Boehner the speech Mike gave Walt last season.

We had a good thing, you stupid son of a bitch! We had the House, we had a government, we had everything we needed and it all ran like clockwork! You could have shut your mouth, raised the debt ceiling, and made as much money as you ever needed lobbying on K street after you retired. It was perfect! But no! You just had to blow it up! You, and your pride and your ego! You just had to be the man! If you’d known your place, we’d all be fine right now!

Was taking a cab this morning:

Driver: So what do you think about this shutdown?
Me: I think the Republicans are fucking crazy.
Driver: What?
Me: I said I think the Republicans are fucking crazy.
Driver: What do the Republicans have to do with this?
Me: ...

Conversation ensued, but what had him incredulous was that one party (much less a portion of that one party) had the capability to shut down the government. That those levers of power and obstruction even existed. We covered the budget talks, continuing resolution and the house rule change and just as things were getting good I had to go.

I can only imagine that a great many Americans are simply confused by the whole thing. How it came to be, how its possible, and what any of these consequences even mean.

It's worth noting that if the House bill passes, Reid can simply remove the offending parts, pass it in the senate, and send it back. The budget numbers are the same in both bills. Reid could even backstab the senate GOP if he wanted, by not adding any concessions they've discussed.

Pass the bill, send it back to the house, and skip town.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So I'm hearing word that the Affordable Care Act's website development was given to a Canadian owned company, The CGI Group, under a no bid contract. Unfortunately the only sources I can find for this are fox news and other extreme right wing sites. Is this true?

From what I've read on industry articles, CGI Group seems to be the most responsible with the website not working. They also won't comment on any of it.

Unstable

So I'm hearing word that the Affordable Care Act's website development was given to a Canadian owned company, The CGI Group, under a no bid contract. Unfortunately the only sources I can find for this are fox news and other extreme right wing sites. Is this true?

From what I've read on industry articles, CGI Group seems to be the most responsible with the website not working. They also won't comment on any of it.
Canadian website you say?

I can't find any reputable sources for this "CGI" group story. Looks like right wing bullshit or at the very least, a wait and see.

I swear to god, if they do this...

A few leaving town doesn't equal Boehner closing shop. Let's not forget that once the senate passes a bill, this goes back to the House. The ball is going to be in their hands last.

I just don't see Boehner going from "we're not going to default" to "good luck suckers, I'm leaving town." The image of them leaving would look terrible if we defaulted.

If the house passes that bull and adjourns on a Tuesday they are even dumber than I thought. Obama will give a national address tonight to demand the house returns to deal with the senate's bill. He will literally demand they get back to work. The country will be really pissed at them so much hat recent poll numbers will be the good times for them.

Leaving on a Tuesday for the week and a day before debt default is so dumb. No way GOP survives such a horrible decision.

That said, can they even pass a bill? I'm hearing too many GOP won't vote without using the boehner rule on the debt ceiling. Lol

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I don't know what Boehner's afraid of now. I mean, even the Koch Bros. told him that it's fine if he gives up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom