• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a five-part opus in The New York Times by Andrea Elliott is to believed, we live in a hard-hearted city. But if you read closely, it suggests just the opposite.

Begin with the family at the center of this story. The mother, father and eight kids aren’t really homeless at all. True, they live in housing meant for “homeless families.” But their 540-square-foot unit gives them a solid roof over their heads, in addition to city-provided meals and services.

One city official tells us Elliott and the Times ignored many key facts about the family and that its situation is “atypical.”

“New York City provides families in need, including this one, with subsidized health care, child care, shelter, job-training, counseling and placement services,” as well as cash assistance, a spokesman said.

For this family, shelter, rental assistance and food stamps alone have added up to nearly half a million dollars since 2000. In addition, Medicaid covers health care. Even so, the parents have consistently failed to meet basic eligibility requirements.

Yes, the family’s housing has problems, including mice and reports of sexual assaults and other crimes. But the Times and Elliott, like much of the liberal establishment, seem to think it’s the city’s job to provide comfortable lives to outrageously irresponsible parents. In this case, that’s a couple with a long history of drug problems and difficulty holding jobs.

Something’s wrong with that picture.

If the city is at fault here, it might well be for having been too generous — providing so much that neither the father nor mother seems much inclined to provide for their kids. That would be a story worth reading.

http://nypost.com/2013/12/09/the-new-york-times-homeless-hooey/

We help the homeless too much, I guess.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Sorry for the double post, but no one else has posted yet and I need to post this. You all need to know, you need to know how this made me shudder. You will feel my discomfort.

Rep. Lowey Calls Paul Ryan 'Naughty Boy,' He Calls Her 'Mom'

Rep. Nita Lowey (D-NY) on Wednesday told the New York Times that she and Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) are friends and that she calls him "Naughty Boy."

"Believe it or not, Paul Ryan is a good friend," Lowey told Times columnist Gail Collins in a conversation about GOP trainings on how to speak to women. "He calls me Mom. I call him Naughty Boy."

Lowey told Collins that the GOP trainings will not solve candidates' difficulty appealing to women voters.

"They need better ideas, not 'Mad Men' style sensitivity training," she said.

TPM has reached out to Ryan's office for comment.

Can you say awkward?

New poll finds Republicans' position in House polling hasn't changed since October:

CGM-battleground-graphic.png

The final Democracy Corps battleground survey of 2013 belies the conventional wisdom that Republicans have enjoyed a major rebound over the last few months. On the contrary, our survey of the 50 most competitive Republican House seats and the 30 most competitive Democratic seats shows that there has been no movement. Furthermore, the second tier of less vulnerable Republican target districts has actually destabilized — meaning that there may be more Republican seats up for grabs than many believe right now.

This survey also confirms what we have been tracking all year: Seniors are moving more solidly into the blue column. In this survey, Democratic challengers have a 4-point advantage on the named ballot against Republican incumbents. As a reminder, Democrats lost seniors nationally by a 21-point margin in 2010.

Obama's approval is going to be back up to 50 by the next election, unemployment will be 6%, Obamacare will be a success while the tea party will keep making themselves look like fools, and yes, Democrats will win the House.

KingK

Politico documents on how badly the Plutocrats feelings have been hurt :-( I feel soooooo bad for them.

This two quotes sum it up. They're the real 'entitled' ones

I really don't know how to read Clinton in that piece. I think the most important thing is that voters remind her that despite where the money comes from only one group of people are responsible for her possibly becoming president. The voters. And they don't live on Wall St. It worrying that she feels the need to placate their feelings but as long as reform sticks or is strengthened and she doesn't loosen it I really don't care.

BTW thanks supreme court!!!!

Its hard to feel like we have a real democracy when you here stuff like that.

Yeah, I'm getting more and more hesitant about Hillary by the day it feels.

Yeah, I'm getting more and more hesitant about Hillary by the day it feels.

Vote for progressive representatives, organize, talk to friends and neighbors,etc. change her mind

Politicians do things they don't personally agree with if forced to by voters/citizens.

Wilsongt

Pope Francis spilling the tea yet again.

http://news.yahoo.com/pope-attacks-mega-salaries-big-bonuses-peace-message-110403483--sector.html

Pope Francis said in the first peace message of his pontificate that huge salaries and bonuses are symptoms of an economy based on greed and inequality and called again for nations to narrow the wealth gap.

In his message for the Roman Catholic Church's World Day of Peace, marked around the world on January 1, he also called for sharing of wealth and for nations to shrink the gap between rich and poor, more of whom are getting only "crumbs".

Poligaf rollcall:

who wants to strap on vests with me and partake in the forthcoming NPD thread on the gaming side later tonight? anyone? *crickets*

Joe Molotov

I wonder what Catholic priest and Fox News contributor Jonathon Morris is going to have to say about this.

I suspect there will be a "but" in his analysis/reporting.

The Pope isn't infallible on social issues, except for ones dealing with lady parts and teh gay.

Re: polifact
A year ago? Loosing coverage was not due to the law. Now, of course it is!

Other switches will be involuntary. As we have previously noted, many Americans already lose their current health plan for reasons that have nothing to do with the new law. Your employer may change insurance carriers, for instance, or your insurance carrier may unilaterally modify the terms of your plan.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...-obama-says-under-his-health-care-law-those-/

My reaction: https://vine.co/v/h2bnqLTpqxZ

KingK

Vote for progressive representatives, organize, talk to friends and neighbors,etc. change her mind

Politicians do things they don't personally agree with if forced to by voters/citizens.

I live in Indiana so I don't exactly have any progressive representatives to vote for. Blue Dogs like Joe Donnelly are about the best we can hope for here. But yeah, I'm well aware that public pressure and movements are more important than who's actually in office in many ways, but I'm worried that Hillary won't actually have any pressure from the left to respond to. It's why I'm still really, really hoping that Elizabeth Warren runs in the primaries so that liberals have an outlet to show that they aren't pleased with how conservative and Wall Street friendly Hillary is.

I live in Indiana so I don't exactly have any progressive representatives to vote for. Blue Dogs like Joe Donnelly are about the best we can hope for here. But yeah, I'm well aware that public pressure and movements are more important than who's actually in office in many ways, but I'm worried that Hillary won't actually have any pressure from the left to respond to. It's why I'm still really, really hoping that Elizabeth Warren runs in the primaries so that liberals have an outlet to show that they aren't pleased with how conservative and Wall Street friendly Hillary is.

What does it matter what she says during the election? So what if she runs a bit to the right? If other people, like say warren in congress or an organized citizendry push her to the left she will move to the left (look what happened to the GOP). I get a sense Obama in his personal convictions is further to the left than his policies but political reality (which is not only who occupies congress) moved him rightward.

There's no reason the opposite couldn't work. I understand the trepidation and fear she's gonna bring rubin-types back but there's things we can do to change that.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Wait, wait, wait. Someone posted this on my FB and I thought they were just late to the party. But you're telling me homeboy here went on ANOTHER America hating tirade?

Rush Limbaugh's gonna convert to Islam if this keeps up.

One hour until GAf crashes.

61 minutes until the bans start

Fixed.

Does anyone think Warren would be a good president, considering republicans will likely have the House until after 2020? I'd rather not have a repeat of the last five years. I'd rather have her in the senate influencing policy, but ultimately the presidency is dominated by compromise and negotiation. We've seen what the bad side of that looks like, with Bill Clinton (compromise) and Obama (compromise and negotiation). I think Hillary could be more effective.

Wait, wait, wait. Someone posted this on my FB and I thought they were just late to the party. But you're telling me homeboy here went on ANOTHER America hating tirade?

Rush Limbaugh's gonna convert to Islam if this keeps up.

Fixed.

Cant ban anyone if the site is down and no one is posting...

Does anyone think Warren would be a good president, considering republicans will likely have the House until after 2020? I'd rather not have a repeat of the last five years. I'd rather have her in the senate influencing policy, but ultimately the presidency is dominated by compromise and negotiation. We've seen what the bad side of that looks like, with Bill Clinton (compromise) and Obama (compromise and negotiation). I think Hillary could be more effective.

LOL, no.

But I don't think she would, she's in a good place in the legislature. I just hope she can get a chair. Her with subpena powers is where she'd do the greatest good. She'd be able to shape the discussion and focus congress on neglected issues.

KingK

What does it matter what she says during the election? So what if she runs a bit to the right? If other people, like say warren in congress or an organized citizendry push her to the left she will move to the left (look what happened to the GOP). I get a sense Obama in his personal convictions is further to the left than his policies but political reality (which is not only who occupies congress) moved him rightward.

There's no reason the opposite couldn't work.

I definitely agree that Obama's personal views are very likely much to the left of his policies (I feel like there are two distinct tones Obama speaks in, one that gives me the impression that he's actually talking about his personal views and one that represents his Administration's views, and you can kinda tell in some of his interviews/speeches when he switches between the two).

I also agree that, in theory, there's no reason the opposite couldn't work (just look at Nixon's presidency). I just have very little faith in any sustained movement on the left springing up at any point in the foreseeable future, and if Hillary is able to get elected without having to appeal to the left at all, what possible motive would she have for moving to the left in her presidency rather than solidifying alliances with Wall Street, Third Way Democrats, and other moneyed interests that helped her get elected?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom