• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.
With what leverage?

You realize what will happen, right? With the benefits cut off. the UE is going to drop because these people will leave the labor force en masse. The GOP will claim LOOK THE UE RATE IS DROPPING. WHAT WE DID WORKS.

Ugh.

Prediction: Batman will no longer enter this thread to harp on the participation rate after this happens.

This is what happens when you have an incompetent party facing off against a party with no interest in helping regular people.

AntoneM

This is a common misconception and/or myth perpetuated by right-wingers. Anyone hired into federal service since 1987 is in the more recent FERS (Federal Employee Retirement System) which replaced CSRS (Civil Servant Retirement System, and anyone in CSRS when FERS was established was able to switch to FERS if they so desired).

CSRS participants only get their pension so they, in fact, do not pay into Social Security - but neither do they receive it (this is the main crux of the right-winger play on this myth - that they don't pay into but still receive Social Security, which isn't true).

FERS participants have a smaller pension, but in addition have their TSP accounts (401k essentially), and Social Security, so anyone in this program DOES pay into Social Security, and any new hires since FERS came into effect in 1987 is in FERS and never was eligible to be in the CSRS system.

This. Thank you.

Diablos

It doesn't happen overnight and most of the people aren't going to become destitute. It's cruel wrong and bad policy but your overstating its effects on any trend level.

It will damage irreparably some lives (and morally wrong) that is true but its not going to turn our cities into the warriors
Why do you always assume I imply the worst?

Of course the streets aren't going to look like a sprawl of chaos and violence, but what the GOP is likely about to do is extremely bad policy and will damage a lot of lives. As for me, if I can't get anything decent I'm going to have to settle for something that will probably end up paying less that what I made at my last job (and may very well end up being worse than what I'm getting on UE; the stuff you read about how many people are desperate to apply to decent jobs is no joke, I notice it first hand especially when I talk to interviewers).

Also, for those of you cheering on another Government shutdown -- please, no. It is especially embarrassing to be an American when that happens. No one should want that. It is like cheering on ending UE benefits. Behind the politics are actions that disrupt a lot of lives.

The same leverage they had when they got it passed last time and didn't shut down the government?

Also, this: https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/410865999814991872
Thanks, Dax... this gives me some confidence that UE could be extended.

KingK

The GOP does it because it works (and because their base want them to) and the Dems go along because their base doesn't punish them for such behavior.

The problem is that it seems like the message the Dems receive anytime they get punished is "well, looks like we need to move further to the right!"

You know what? Fuck it. Give me another goverment shutdown. It's the only way Dems find their balls.

Sad part is, Bams USED to call out their cowardly behavior and now he's just....blah.

Screw him. Dirty Harry Reid is the new hero. I remember thinking "Well, at least he is better than Sharon Angle." when he got elected last time. Who knew he'd become the backbone of the party.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Apparently the Murray-Ryan deal wipes away 2/3 of the sequester cuts for the non-defense side, according to Washington Monthly.

So the deal doesn't seem to be a total shit sandwich, it seems.

aptopix-massachusetts-senate--2.jpg

Apparently the Murray-Ryan deal wipes away 2/3 of the sequester cuts for the non-defense side, according to Washington Monthly.

I think this is a good deal all things considered. 2011 is where the blame should go. That's when austerity 'won'

Qazaq

Banned
I am not exaggerating when I say two things:

a) Mitch McConnell really does look like a toad

b) Mitch McConnell is one of the ugliest people in the public realm

How quickly we forget.

Sequester Was the worst case end of world scenario. Getting rid of most of it is garbage.

I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a good source on the cost of the government shutdown. Specifically, I'm trying to get information on the statement I've been hearing that the Unemployment Benefits extension would cost about the same amount of money that we lots with the shutdown. Any information on those numbers would be much appreciated.

I figured this was a good place to post this. Not sure if I want to make a thread on it but it's another great Taibbi article. This time, on Camden, NJ.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture...ch-from-americas-most-desperate-town-20131211

I live outside in the suburbs and go to Rutgers-Camden. Commuting every day by train I see how the movement of the manufacturing component to the city really just destroyed it. It's sad. The area looks and feels like it was a really nice place to live, and the architecture that remains is of those brick row-homes (like the ones you see in Philly). It's so goddamned bleak and the city definitely has the feeling of "once good, but will never regain what it lost"

And even though the city police force did need some reorganization, a big Fuck You to Chris Christie for being a complete and utter cunt about the whole thing.

bonercop

I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a good source on the cost of the government shutdown. Specifically, I'm trying to get information on the statement I've been hearing that the Unemployment Benefits extension would cost about the same amount of money that we lots with the shutdown. Any information on those numbers would be much appreciated.

the gubamint shutdown cost 24 billion
, extending unemployement benefits would be 26 billion.

Jooney

I figured this was a good place to post this. Not sure if I want to make a thread on it but it's another great Taibbi article. This time, on Camden, NJ.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture...ch-from-americas-most-desperate-town-20131211

I live outside in the suburbs and go to Rutgers-Camden. Commuting every day by train I see how the movement of the manufacturing component to the city really just destroyed it. It's sad. The area looks and feels like it was a really nice place to live, and the architecture that remains is of those brick row-homes (like the ones you see in Philly). It's so goddamned bleak and the city definitely has the feeling of "once good, but will never regain what it lost"

And even though the city police force did need some reorganization, a big Fuck You to Chris Christie for being a complete and utter cunt about the whole thing.

A great read - thanks for posting this. Love Taibbi's work.

It was like reading an episode of The Wire. An endless cat and mouse game of cops wasting time chasing low level drug dealers, but this time backed with millions of $ in high-end tech. That money could be put to so much better use, like investing in those communities to give those people jobs; a livelihood outside of drugs and crime.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Hmm, I'll give this a shot. I'll have to start putting some stuff together. I'll grab the next issue when I'm out next week.

Bah! They want someone with one of them fancy college DEE-grees. :(

If you graduate by the summer you're fine to apply.

Here's Megyn Kelly explaining how Santa and Jesus are similar: they're both white

Why this is surprising to me makes no sense

Aaron

How could any rational person seriously believe that Jesus was "white" in the way we think of a white person today, when he comes from a region full of dark skinned ethnicities that often mixed with each other multiple times.

I...what!?
Jesus was a jew. Aren't jews considered white, or am I missing something here?

pigeon

Banned
Jesus was a jew. Aren't jews considered white, or am I missing something here?

This is an excellent illustration of the fundamental problem with the entire concept of whiteness.

Jews are called Jews because they're originally from the Kingdom of Judah, named of course after the fourth son of Jacob, who lived in Canaan. In other words, they're Middle Eastern in derivation. There's no group of people anywhere near the source of the Jewish tribes who today would be called anything other than Arabian. (Except maybe the Turkish, but that's a whole other story.)

You're correct that Jews are "considered white" today. But that's not because of any genetic or otherwise fundamental characteristic of the Jewish people. Much to the contrary, for most of their history Jews were treated in a way that made their status as people of color very apparent.

As Megyn Kelly demonstrates, whiteness isn't a physical thing. Whiteness is a state of mind held by white people about other people.

Chichikov

I think this is a good deal all things considered. 2011 is where the blame should go. That's when austerity 'won'
Austerity is still winning.

Q0Wbj4t.png

You're correct that Jews are "considered white" today. But that's not because of any genetic or otherwise fundamental characteristic of the Jewish people. Much to the contrary, for most of their history Jews were treated in a way that made their status as people of color very apparent.
Only Ashkenazi Jews (Jews of eastern European decent) are categorically considered white, Yemenite, Ethiopian, Moroccan, Drake are all non-white Jews.
Okay maybe not drake, but the point still stands.

This is an excellent illustration of the fundamental problem with the entire concept of whiteness.

Jews are called Jews because they're originally from the Kingdom of Judah, named of course after the fourth son of Jacob, who lived in Canaan. In other words, they're Middle Eastern in derivation. There's no group of people anywhere near the source of the Jewish tribes who today would be called anything other than Arabian. (Except maybe the Turkish, but that's a whole other story.)

As Megyn Kelly demonstrates, whiteness isn't a physical thing. Whiteness is a state of mind held by white people about other people.

Jews to Americans and Europeans are thought of almost exclusively as the Ashkenazi who's DNA has a lot more 'white' aka European heritage due to conversion and assimilation.

Politico documents on how badly the Plutocrats feelings have been hurt :-( I feel soooooo bad for them.

This two quotes sum it up. They're the real 'entitled' ones
When we sought answers about the rift with the White House, many New York sources circled back to this; leaders in the finance industry, as in so many others, want to know they have friends and influence in high places—a feeling that’s not been forthcoming from the Obama administration.
“I always find it amazing that people on my side say they are going to go to the White House and tell the president what to do and he will listen and it will go into law the next week,” he says.

I really don't know how to read Clinton in that piece. I think the most important thing is that voters remind her that despite where the money comes from only one group of people are responsible for her possibly becoming president. The voters. And they don't live on Wall St. It worrying that she feels the need to placate their feelings but as long as reform sticks or is strengthened and she doesn't loosen it I really don't care.

BTW thanks supreme court!!!!
When the Dodd-Frank reform measures passed three years ago, campaign finance laws were broadened to prohibit employees at investment firms from supporting candidates with whom their firms might do business. Christie allies told us this can be avoided by creating a super PAC that will be the repository for Wall Street money; campaign finance lawyers aren’t so sure.
Its hard to feel like we have a real democracy when you here stuff like that.

I walked around downtown a month ago.

It was ok. Patco was nice.

Article talks about the white people as junkies, ignoring Rutgers and the aquarium

Piecake

Politico documents on how badly the Plutocrats feelings have been hurt :-( I feel soooooo bad for them.

This two quotes sum it up. They're the real 'entitled' ones

I really don't know how to read Clinton in that piece. I think the most important thing is that voters remind her that despite where the money comes from only one group of people are responsible for her possibly becoming president. The voters. And they don't live on Wall St. It worrying that she feels the need to placate their feelings but as long as reform sticks or is strengthened and she doesn't loosen it I really don't care.

BTW thanks supreme court!!!!

Its hard to feel like we have a real democracy when you here stuff like that.

They come off as self-entitled, delusional brats in that article, which is not all that surprising.

Yes, please give me your wisdom and expertise just after you almost blew up the world economy. I am sure your advice will be quite helpful!

Chumly

Anymore news on how enrollment numbers are going? Beginning of last week seemed positive but haven't seen anything since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom