• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jooney

So any thoughts on what the silver lining is the GOP? Bringing the country to the brink has obviously cost the party and the country considerable damage, but has it come with the (small) benefit of finally revealing the true colours of the tea party wing to the American people? These people are now on record for wanting to both shut down the government and default on its obligations.

In other words - is this the moment the establishment / moderate wings of the party swing the pendulum back, after three years of a steady move to the right?

Diablos

qs7VTX5.jpg

;___;

$24 billion dollars wasted brought to you by the GOP.

$24 billion.

GhaleonEB

Yeah, what was with Dana Bash thinking Obama making a positive speech is going to doom the House GOP vote? gtfo

Every time Obama speaks, the House GOP is reminded that he's President and they have a sad.

Edit: Booker is up 12% with 45% of the vote in. Should we panic yet?

Sciz

Since you seem to use this phrase a lot, I'll be That Guy(tm) and let you know it's "toe the line". As in, "line up shoulder to shoulder, and present a united front."

In this case, Fox having to actually tow the line out of the wreck the GOP have currently made of it isn't such a bad metaphor.

Link

The Autumn Wind
So any thoughts on what the silver lining is the GOP? Bringing the country to the brink has obviously cost the party and the country considerable damage, but has it come with the (small) benefit of finally revealing the true colours of the tea party wing to the American people? These people are now on record for wanting to both shut down the government and default on its obligations.

In other words - is this the moment the establishment / moderate wings of the party swing the pendulum back, after three years of a steady move to the right?
The silver lining is that now budget negotiations are actually going to happen and the current CR expiring lines up with the next round of sequester cuts that hit the military fairly hard.

Oh wait, silver lining for Republicans? I'll have to get back to you on that.

Vestal

The silver lining is that now budget negotiations are actually going to happen and the current CR expiring lines up with the next round of sequester cuts that hit the military fairly hard.

Oh wait, silver lining for Republicans? I'll have to get back to you on that.

Hmm.. Umm.. Cruz is the new leader of the party??!?!?!

Cloudy

Banned
So I was able to complete my parents' application on healthcare.gov tonight. Thing is, I needed to use IE. Site worked fine but didn't let me complete with Firefox

Link

The Autumn Wind
So I was able to complete my parents' application on healthcare.gov tonight. Thing is, I needed to use IE. Site worked fine but didn't let me complete with Firefox
I've been hearing this a lot. You gotta do what you gotta do, I guess.

The radical right, the primary voter, is further radicalized. They've learned nothing, gained nothing, but further enmity for their "weak" establishment.

Videoneon

qs7VTX5.jpg

;___;

$24 billion dollars wasted brought to you by the GOP.

$24 billion.

Screw these guys.

Yesterday I watched the greater part, or perhaps half, of an interview on CNN with Representative Charlie Dent (R). In as palatable word choice as possible, he basically expressed that he was pissed with the dog and pony show we witnessed for these past couple of weeks. Interestingly (because this predated Nancy Pelosi coming to Boehner's rescue and such), he commented that Boehner did not really want to go through with the charade, and also commented that he thinks Boehner's position was secure. Which we know now to be more or less the case.

He also speaks about the "original" Republican strategy for this year's budget, acknowledging the plan to insert "defund Obamacare" as a vain political gesture (though he didn't characterize it that way), and then seeing it get stripped out and then moving on.

Here's the first part of that.

A couple of people have already posted articles about establishment Republicans gearing up to run more non Tea Party candidates. Perhaps the only thing we can expect is more pressure to meet the deadlines in the future from more Republicans. This was profoundly pointless for them, most realize that. But the likelihood to relent in certain things that give them political momentum like saying Obamacare is shit isn't going to happen anytime soon and is essential for a party with few victories, even for its base.

Sibylus

Banned
Michael Calderone (HuffPo): Jeremy Scahill, Laura Poitras Teaming Up With Glenn Greenwald On New Media Venture

NEW YORK -– Journalists Jeremy Scahill and Laura Poitras will be working with Glenn Greenwald on a new media venture funded by billionaire eBay founder Pierre Omidyar, according to sources familiar with the matter.

Scahill, a dogged investigative journalist who focuses on national security, and Poitras, a filmmaker who has extensively covered surveillance issues, had already been in discussions with Greenwald about starting a venture together when Omidyar approached with a similar vision for a new media outlet, sources said.

I remember a Dan Carlin podcast from a couple of years ago talking about what it would take to get the 1% invested in changing a status quo that in large part benefits them most of all. Apparently the answer, for at least one one-percenter, is real journalism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom