• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one hits closer to home though:

phd-comics-life-plan.bmp

That wouldn't be a bad thing, spoken as a Latino

Though, I do love me some ketchup.

Cilantro is amazing and ketchup is super boring. Next to mayo it's my least used condiment. I'm a gringo that loves heat though. We grew a habanero plant in our backyard that I've been using to make a homemade hot sauce as well as guacamole.

Jooney

I'd support this. Revenue strikes me as irrelevant right now: the focus should be jobs, not taxes. Then the question becomes: would you trade entitlement cuts for stimulus/sequestration end/pre-k? I wouldn't...

TLDR: nothing will pass unless Obama is willing to cut entitlements without revenue.

What cuts would you accept as a trade for spending?

Also, if the GOP want entitlement cuts, let them be specific on the nature of those cuts.

Question: what is the effectiveness and political likelihood of trading entitlement cuts with lifting the cap on SS + enabling medicare to negotiate drug prices?

Cilantro is amazing and ketchup is super boring. Next to mayo it's my least used condiment. I'm a gringo that loves heat though. We grew a habanero plant in our backyard that I've been using to make a homemade hot sauce as well as guacamole.

You sir, are alright.

I do love homemade ketchup and mayo, and as part European, I do love aioli mayo on my fries.

Mutli-cultural up in this bitch.

I'm not sure if anything has been posted about it yet (probably not, considering the shutdown/debt ceiling clusterfuck), but here in Ohio, Gov. Kasich is attempting to expand Medicaid by going around our dickwad General Assembly and getting the Ohio Controlling Board to accept the federal funding on the state's behalf.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...llow-republicans-to-expand-ohio-medicaid.html

Naturally, Republicans in the General Assembly are furious and threatening lawsuits.

Kasich's still a colossal dick, but kudos to him for fighting like hell against his fellow Republicans for Medicaid expansion.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Costa had a really interesting interview with McConnell:

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/361533/mcconnells-exit-interview-robert-costa

A. no more shutdown coming

B. He thinks Grimes just lost her message

C. He is annoyed the house puts him in a weak bargaining position

McConnell has proven himself to be a smart leader for the party and he comes off that way in the interview.

I'd suggest that C indicates that he isn't as in control over whether A proves to be the case as he indicates. While I'd love to say the House GOP have learnt their lesson, all evidence of their rationality has been shredded during this shutdown.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/361533/mcconnells-exit-interview-robert-costa

McConnell has proven himself to be a smart leader for the party and he comes off that way in the interview.

I bet he's pissed at house GOP, he's loosing to a democrat in the early polls.

I'd suggest that C indicates that he isn't as in control over whether A proves to be the case as he indicates. While I'd love to say the House GOP have learnt their lesson, all evidence of their rationality has been shredded during this shutdown.

eh, he indicated Boehner agrees with him. This was the fight they were going to have. They won't do it again. You're right the crazies won't be persuaded, but leadership won't travel down this path again.

Jooney

I said this yesterday, as long as Boehner is still speaker they won't be any more shutdowns. Maybe debt ceiling brinkmanship, but no more shutdowns. The silver lining from this debacle for the GOP is that the tea party faction has been exposed as extremists who are willing to put the full faith and credit of the US on the chopping block in order to get their way. I think yesterday was the turning point - the marginilisation of the tea party to the regular American, and the beginning of the end for that movement.

McConnel knows better and just went along for the charade.

It's funny, reading through some comments on redstate and freep, the people who support the tea party have no idea that they were wrong about the shutdown. They're just terrible at thinking strategically. It's nothing but wanting to purge the RINOs and take back the party and country. If they listened to those RINOs they would have been in a much better position today. But they won't learn.

COSTA: What’s the snag?

MCCONNELL: When the speaker has had conversations with the president over the last three years, they have always insisted on a $1 trillion tax increase — revenue scored by the Congressional Budget Office. That’s their demand for any major entitlement reform. But we don’t think we should have to pay a ransom to do what the country needs. And until you adjust the eligibility for entitlements to fit the demographics of our country, you can’t ever solve the problem. You can’t tax your way out of it, and there aren’t enough health-care providers to cut to find a way out of it.

heh. Quick on the messaging uptake, that Mitch.

McConnell has always been a smart, formidable politician. I get the impression that he could have fleeced Obama many times if he was the Speaker instead of Boehner.

He's very good at incremental change, which for republicans means cuts/delays/etc. If I was a republican I'd be rather happy with him, and I think the far right's hatred really shows how narrow minded they are. Nobody outright changes the system in a day - it's a gradual process. The tea party will never understand that, which is why they'll never be successful over the long term.

Hey guyz, I got a $3 Billion dam for Kentucky out of the deal. What did the rest of you get?

mcconnell-smiling_AP.jpg

http://www.buzzfeed.com/johnstanton/shutdown-deal-includes-nearly-3-billion-for-kentucky-dam-pro

Yeah, the Turtle can politic.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
wondering how the fuck this troll kincannon got eyeballs led me to this indirect wikipedia burn
8:29, 20 June 2011 TParis (talk | contribs) deleted page Todd Kincannon (Expired PROD, concern was: This appears to be a biography of and by a non-notable person.)
yowch, lawl

Which tea party nut is trying to primary McConnell?

LOL they shutdown the shutdown thread. I was enjoying the different faces there as well.

Yeah, I doubt he loses but it would breathe a sigh of relief if he did. McConnell is the scariest Republican, imo. He's a skilled politician and knows how to play the Game. Reminds me of Littlefinger.

like I said, hope that crazy Tea Party dude primaries him out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom