• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come to Minnesota. Our healthcare prices are the cheapest in the nation and living standards are pretty cheap! Its only cold about 7 months of the year. thats not too bad (I think its only cold for about 2 months, but I live here)
I'm such a Southern boy at heart. I hate the weather here, but yeah, Minnesota is a beautiful state. I'd be happy to live in the Twin Cities for a long time.

Come to Minnesota. Our healthcare prices are the cheapest in the nation and living standards are pretty cheap! Its only cold about 7 months of the year. thats not too bad (I think its only cold for about 2 months, but I live here)

She's from Ukraine and vows to never live in a cold state/country ever again!

Not only cheap, but some of the best. Home of the Mayo clinic. Home of Medtronic. And my sister is a cardiac ward nurse.

Cloudy

Banned
I got it to work in Chrome, whereas the Firefox one doesn't work; when you try to log in the site goes blank.

Yeah I'd been using Firefox since day 1 and couldn't get past creating the account. Tried IE this week and had no issues breezing through my parents application..

Weird. I set up an account just to see (and there is a possibility I may need to use it in a month or two, so saving myself time now). Had no issues making an account using Firefox.

Cloudy

Banned
Weird. I set up an account just to see (and there is a possibility I may need to use it in a month or two, so saving myself time now). Had no issues making an account using Firefox.

I could make an account with Firefox as well. Just couldn't complete the application process

28yo single male making $17k

$40 month. $0 deductible. $2250 out of pocket max. $3/5 co-pay (see above), $25 ER, $6 urgent care, 10% coinsurance outpatient surgery or hospital care.

The young working poor are getting such an amazing deal. It's sad that the GOP is trying to persuade them not to sign up.

we're going to go 1984 style and pretend that those prices used to be lower, therefore Obamacare is bad! /GOP

Screw the cold. I don't know how people live there.

GhaleonEB

California could single handily make Obamacare a success in the short term, at least with respect to sign ups. The prices look amazing.

God I wish the government refused to set anything up in Texas and other states that are completely obstructing the law/hurting it.

On a related note, what happened to multi-state exchanges? The law allowed for states to band together, but we got 50 different exchanges. I totally expected CA, OR, and WA to coordinate, and the small New England states to band together. I haven't read any news on that front, either.

Chichikov

Screw the cold. I don't know how people live there.
Like Dean Norris, under the dome.
ihsaztbKlOGZM.gif

Chichikov

Thankfully thats going to be blown up soon. Can't say im in favor of taxpayer funded stadiums, but getting rid of that ugly motherfucker might be worth it
Yeah, it's quite snit, isn't it?
The new one looks pretty sweet too, hopefully you don't name it something stupid.

Anyway, joking aside, I actually quite like the twin cities, yeah, the weather sucks but there are good times to be had there.

Thankfully thats going to be blown up soon. Can't say im in favor of taxpayer funded stadiums, but getting rid of that ugly motherfucker might be worth it
As someone that saw the Vikings (and the Twins) play at the Met Stadium, it is weird to see the Metrodome already being retired. Tax-payer funded stadiums are a huge scam and no one should put up with that shit.

Cloudy

Banned
On a related note, what happened to multi-state exchanges? The law allowed for states to band together, but we got 50 different exchanges. I totally expected CA, OR, and WA to coordinate, and the small New England states to band together. I haven't read any news on that front, either.

Was it multi-state or a provision for small-businesses to band together?

KingK

As someone that saw the Vikings (and the Twins) play at the Met Stadium, it is weird to see the Metrodome already being retired. Tax-payer funded stadiums are a huge scam and no one should put up with that shit.

They do give your city +4 happiness though.

ivysaur12

Banned
So, like, Landrieu and Hagan will win. Pryor probably will. What's their plan then to defund Obamacare?

I'm legitimately confused on where their path is to win the Senate if conservatives keep pushing to shutdown the government or push us to a fiscal brink. I just don't understand how they can see one helping the other.

Piecake

Its even more hilarious when you remember that the NFL is labeled as a non-profit organization by the IRS (blame congress) so it doesnt pay taxes.

So, like, Landrieu and Hagan will win. Pryor probably will. What's their plan then to defund Obamacare?

I'm legitimately confused on where their path is to win the Senate if conservatives keep pushing to shutdown the government or push us to a fiscal brink. I just don't understand how they can see one helping the other.

I thought Pryor was a sure-fire goner until Tom Cotton voted for the debt ceiling/govt shutdown bill.

Piecake

http://www.npr.org/2013/09/24/225775287/nfls-a-nonprofit-author-says-its-time-for-football-reform
It's a scandal that I can't understand why people aren't marching in the streets over, I suppose. The headquarters of the National Football League is chartered as a nonprofit — and treated by the IRS as a nonprofit — due to a few key words that were slipped into a piece of legislation 50 years ago. The individual teams probably pay corporate income taxes, but we don't know since most of them don't disclose any figures. Most of them receive public subsidies but don't disclose anything. The top of the NFL — Roger Goodell, the commissioner — his $30-million-a-year paycheck comes from what looks on paper to be a tax-exempt philanthropy.

... Judith Grant Long, a researcher at Harvard, calculates that 70 percent of the cost of NFL stadia has been paid for by taxpayers. In general, the public subsidizes pro football to the tune of around $1 billion a year, is what I calculated in my book. And yet it's phenomenally profitable — subsidized up one side, down the other, and yet a very profitable business.

Chichikov

The league is, the team themselves are for profit,expect those commies Packers, who has the best ownership model in all of American sports (which is of course banned from the NFL now).

The whole way football is structured in the US is messed up and probably wouldn't stand in an open and unbiased court, but no one who want to get elected would dream of taking football from Americans.

Chichikov

That sucks. I'm actually ok with lumping sports stadiums into the same group of public services that zoos, theaters, and museums hold. I'm not ok with all this dumb publicizing of costs and privatizing the profits.
As a huge sports fan I'm more than okay with it, and I think the best model of providing it is public ownership, Green Bay Packers style. It's better for the fans and it's better for the team as it does wonders to fan engagement.
Also, it will once and for all be done with that abomination which is franchise relocation, that shit is beyond bullshit.

If even just Landrieu and Hagan win of the red-state Democrats, Biden's the tiebreaker. Unless the GOP started cutting into blue states, but where would they start? Iowa and Michigan, where Dems got their best recruits and the GOP has no one? Minnesota? (lol)

Piecake

As a huge sports fan I'm more than okay with it, and I think the best model of providing it is public ownership, Green Bay Packers style. It's better for the fans and it's better for the team as it does wonders to fan engagement.
Also, it will once and for all be done with that abomination which is franchise relocation, that shit is beyond bullshit.

I totally agree. How Green Bay does it makes so much sense.

Piecake

I love the weather here in MN from mid-September to early May. Summers here fucking suck though.

Same here. There's been a lot of good stuff happening lately but that Vikings stadium pisses me off so much. What a scam.

Well, one positive is that it actually is bringing in development

http://www.ryancompanies.com/projects/east-village/

That definitely wouldnt have happened if we didnt do this. Sure, it sucks that we got stiffed with the stadium bill, but Minneapolis sure is going to look better thanks to the stadium and that development. Course, anything is an improvement than the metrodome and a bunch of parking lots

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You also have less asshole suits like Richardson in charge.

So wait, the governor of a state doesnt have to sign a bill to pass gay marriage in his/her state? the court can do it themselves?

im confused. Non american here

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So wait, the governor of a state doesnt have to sign a bill to pass gay marriage in his/her state? the court can do it themselves?

Yep. If the courts rule that not allowing gay marriage goes against an amendment to the Constitution they can force it to be legal. It's all part of checks and balances.

Chichikov

Yes they can.
You see, even though that power is nowhere in the constitution (of new jersey or the US) in 1803 the supreme court decided it's going to start doing it, and everyone just went along because lawyers are the most beloved and qualified people to be the final arbiters in our society.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I have no problem with the "review" part of judicial review, it's the "judicial" that bothers me.
That's fine, but your remark how it's not in the constitution sounds a lot like anti-tax people who claim the income tax is not in the constitution. I just wonder what the Supreme Court is supposed to do otherwise when the constitution makes it clear on certain matters what Congress cannot do and which laws trump others.

It could certainly be handled differently, but the constitution makes no provisions for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom