• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just started to listen/read NPR.

Motherofgod.

Why haven't I done this before!?

Amazing group of people.

Tier List

God Tier
AlJazeera
NPR
BBC

Mid Tier
DemocracyNow! (Left Leaning)
The Economist (Right Leaning *don't like them but gotta give credit where credit is due*)
CBS News

Low Tier
ABC News
AlJazeera America
MSNBC

Dan Hibiki
Fox News
Russian Times

The only problem I have is that when the host has a discussion about entitlement reform she talks about how no democrat she has talked to is willing to make the hard choice and is willing to make cuts. I really want to call in (can't at work) and say just because its a hard choice doesnt mean its a good choice. Cutting entitlements is an insanely stupid idea because its just a cost shift. The underlying problem is the thing we should fix, and thats health care cost.

NPR really REALLY isn't the liberal jerkoff the right makes it out to be. There are times during some of their programs in which they really go against social assistance.

While not part of the news section, this episode from This American Life made my blood boil.

Videoneon

I was thinking that obamacare regions (states banding together to create a market - New Englandcare, etc) might be a solution, but then I remembered that insurance rates vary in states as well, so that might not be possible.

Well, I guess one way to do that would be have all of the hospitals and insurance companies in the area, state, region, etc negotiate prices together. I think that would help standardize prices and push down costs for areas that lack competition.

Too bad that that is DOA because Republicans have a hard on for buying across state-lines instead (Dumbest idea ever - see credit cards)

One thing I took away from that article was the surprising amount of leverage that insurers have. See things like: "But just because an insurer sells in a state, it doesn't mean it sells in every area of a state so many residents have far fewer options." and the Aetna comments. It's just interesting, and sad, to see how that materializes on the ground. Much of the talk I've been reading mentions the need for people to enroll in the system for Obamacare to be better, but I haven't seen much about the presence of insurers. Lo and behold, they are acting with business interests in mind.

There was a small part of the story that talked about what convinced some insurers to leave--how certain states' regulations on pricing, transparency, and plan quality apparently forced insurers out. It cited Oregon, which as I recall suffered one of the bigger average premium hikes for younger people.

It's established that the enrollment so far has been underwhelming, and that the GOP will spread more FUD about this. But this is pretty unfortunate.

Piecake

One thing I took away from that article was the surprising amount of leverage that insurers have. See things like: "But just because an insurer sells in a state, it doesn't mean it sells in every area of a state so many residents have far fewer options." and the Aetna comments. It's just interesting, and sad, to see how that materializes on the ground. Much of the talk I've been reading mentions the need for people to enroll in the system for Obamacare to be better, but I haven't seen much about the presence of insurers. Lo and behold, they are acting with business interests in mind.

There was a small part of the story that talked about what convinced some insurers to leave--how certain states' regulations on pricing, transparency, and plan quality apparently forced insurers out. It cited Oregon, which as I recall suffered one of the bigger average premium hikes for younger people.

It's established that the enrollment so far has been underwhelming, and that the GOP will spread more FUD about this. But this is pretty unfortunate.

Well, that's likely because in those areas hospitals have more power than the insurance companies so that they get better prices making health care insurance not really profitable for insurance companies without high rates.

For example, while Minnesota is the cheapest in the nation, it does vary by area within the state. Guess which area has the highest insurance cost? Southeastern Minnesota where the Mayo Clinic is located. They dominate the entire market so are able to force insurance companies to pay higher costs for their services.

[

NPR really REALLY isn't the liberal jerkoff the right makes it out to be. There are times during some of their programs in which they really go against social assistance.

While not part of the news section, this episode from This American Life made my blood boil.

I can guarantee you that the host is a liberal and the show talks about issues in a more leftist manner. Its hard to explain because its not straight political, but when an issue comes up they usually bring in political scientists, professors, news columnists, etc, instead of two democrat and republican wankers to debate. Thats what I like about it. Actual issues and policies get discussed, not talking points.

And just because someone disagrees with leftist ideas does mean that they arent politically and ideologically left.

lednerg

Fox News Reportedly Used Fake Commenter Accounts To Rebut Critical Blog Posts
New Book Details An Extensive Campaign By The Networks' PR Staffers

NPR media reporter David Folkenflik writes in his forthcoming book Murdoch's World that Fox News' public relations staffers used an elaborate series of dummy accounts to fill the comments sections of critical blog posts with pro-Fox arguments.

In a chapter focusing on how Fox utilized its notoriously ruthless public relations department in the mid-to-late 00's, Folkenflik reports that Fox's PR staffers would "post pro-Fox rants" in the comments sections of "negative and even neutral" blog posts written about the network. According to Folkenflik, the staffers used various tactics to cover their tracks, including setting up wireless broadband connections that "could not be traced back" to the network.

A former staffer told Folkenflik that they had personally used "one hundred" fake accounts to plant Fox-friendly commentary:

On the blogs, the fight was particularly fierce. Fox PR staffers were expected to counter not just negative and even neutral blog postings but the anti-Fox comments beneath them. One former staffer recalled using twenty different aliases to post pro-Fox rants. Another had one hundred. Several employees had to acquire a cell phone thumb drive to provide a wireless broadband connection that could not be traced back to a Fox News or News Corp account. Another used an AOL dial-up connection, even in the age of widespread broadband access, on the rationale it would be harder to pinpoint its origins. Old laptops were distributed for these cyber operations. Even blogs with minor followings were reviewed to ensure no claim went unchecked. [Murdoch's World, pg. 67]​

In the book's endnotes, Folkenflik explains that "four former Fox News employees told me of these practices." It's unclear whether these tactics are ongoing.

GOP has been blocking funds in congress even though HHS had to make exchanges for all the red states who refused to create their own. At this point, they are probably just calling in favors from Silicon Valley

Which is why the administration should have simply refused to set up exchanges in certain states. I recognize it would harm people in those states, but ultimately it would have helped the law work better. And give people in those states an incentive to vote.

FyreWulff

Tier List

God Tier
AlJazeera
NPR
BBC

Mid Tier
The Economist (Right Leaning *don't like them but gotta give credit where credit is due*)
CBS News

Low Tier
ABC News
AlJazeera America
MSNBC

Dan Hibiki
Fox News
Russian Times

Poor regular ol' NBC not even tiered

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I've lost a lot of faith in the BBC after this Greenwald interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1Zvo8N3G94

The first two questions are legit, the others... I stopped there. Yeah, kinda sad.

I think there is an argument to be made that they should not have released the information regarding US overseas monitoring and espionage.

Everything regarding activities against US Citizens is fair game, on the other hand.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
On his NewsOne radio show Friday morning, Roland Martin confronted Dr. Ben Carson over his recent comments that Obamacare is “the worst thing that has happened in this nation since slavery.”

Noting other post-slavery issues like Jim Crow laws, Martin asked, “Did you go too far?”

“That’s my opinion,” Carson responded. “First of all, I recognize that slavery was a horrible thing … I realize how horrible it was … I didn’t say this is as bad as slavery, I said this is the worst thing since slavery.”

“Which includes Jim Crow,” Martin shot back.

“Yes, absolutely,” the neurosurgeon explained.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/roland-m...obamacare-worst-thing-since-slavery-comments/

Obamacare: not as bad as slavery but better than Jim Crow, at least.

Cloudy

Banned
Which is why the administration should have simply refused to set up exchanges in certain states. I recognize it would harm people in those states, but ultimately it would have helped the law work better. And give people in those states an incentive to vote.

They didn't really expect GOP govs to screw their own citizens over politics after the law had passed. We are seeing some unprecedented shit right now that no one could have predicted.

They didn't really expect GOP govs to screw their own citizens over politics after the law had passed. We are seeing some unprecedented shit right now that no one could have predicted.

What? :lol

The GOP has been fucking over their own voters for over 30+ years. For them it was Tuesday.

Piecake

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/roland-m...obamacare-worst-thing-since-slavery-comments/

Obamacare: not as bad as slavery but better than Jim Crow, at least.

That guy should watch this

http://www.slaverybyanothername.com/pbs-film/

What a fucktard

What? :lol

The GOP has been fucking over their own voters for over 30+ years. For them it was Tuesday.

It is pretty funny though that they are supposedly all about states rights, but are leaving obamacare up to the Feds

leroidys

Tier List

God Tier
AlJazeera
NPR
BBC

Mid Tier
CBS News

Low Tier
ABC News
AlJazeera America
MSNBC

Dan Hibiki
Fox News
Russian Times

The economist has been on a steady decline for the past 5+ years. They put out a lot of embarrassingly bad articles now.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

1. This American Life is PRI, not NPR.

2. That episode didn't go against social assistance at all.

The economist has been on a steady decline for the past 5+ years. They put out a lot of embarrassingly bad articles now.

Their criticisms on France is hilarious. They don't even hide their bias. I love it how they wank off to the U.K. yet treat France like its a imploding nation when the U.K. is struggling just as much if not more than France and has a higher poverty rate and worse working conditions. You also don't see them talking about Germany much now after the country followed their suggestions and are facing stagnation.

There is also this lovely article. It goes on about effective poverty strategies but only looks at the progress on Asia and rarely mentions South America. They give a slight example of Brasil but then immediately counter it with a China middle class housing initiative which likely had little to do with reducing poverty or at least the same kind. They also failed to mention the other pink tide nations, including the nation with the most radical poverty drop *gulps* Venezuela.

There is also this embarrassing article about "state capitalism". Yeah the fastest growing economies in the world are definitely fucking up.

The Economist is good at giving information but its how it interprets it is the problem. While the writers seem to care about the middle class and poverty, they are still libertarians through and through. When it comes down to it, if it was a battle of lower poverty rates and wages vs GDP and liberal markets they will choose the latter every single time.

I've lost a lot of faith in the BBC after this Greenwald interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1Zvo8N3G94
Oh my God!

leroidys

Their criticisms on France is hilarious. They don't even hide their bias. I love it how they wank off to the U.K. yet treat France like its a imploding nation when the U.K. is struggling just as much if not more than France and has a higher poverty rate and worse working conditions. You also don't see them talking about Germany much now after the country followed their suggestions and are facing stagnation.

There is also this lovely article. It goes on about effective poverty strategies but only looks at the progress on Asia and rarely mentions South America. They give a slight example of Brasil but then immediately counter it with a China middle class housing initiative which likely had little to do with reducing poverty or at least the same kind. They also failed to mention the other pink tide nations, including the nation with the most radical poverty drop *gulps* Venezuela.

There is also this embarrassing article about "state capitalism". Yeah the fastest growing economies in the world are definitely fucking up.

The Economist is good at giving information but its how it interprets it is the problem. While the writers seem to care about the middle class and poverty, they are still libertarians through and through. When it comes down to it, if it was a battle of higher poverty rates and wages vs GDP and liberal markets they will choose the latter every single time.

Oh my God!

Yeah I still go there often because they're the only major site that even bothers to treat specific economic or political news from a variety of nations, but their commentary is often terribad now, as you pointed out.

So let's say January 1st rolls around and Obamacare enrollment looks good. Most uninsured people who needed but couldn't afford insurance in the past signed up, and a sizeable number of young, healthy people enrolled in at least catastrophic coverage plans. What will the GOP opposition say then? Will the defund/repeal talk continue? Will they declare that Obamacare's success is actually a triumph of the free market against all odds? How will they square their continued criricsm of the law with reality?

They'll never declare it a success because their base would crucify them. No, if it works then they'll just nitpick things like they have with Obama.

This reminds me of a speech I heard Regan give where he said that if Medicaid was implemented our grandchildren would be told stories about America and how we used to be free. Lol

Chichikov

They'll never declare it a success because their base would crucify them. No, if it works then they'll just nitpick things like they have with Obama.

This reminds me of a speech I heard Regan give where he said that if Medicaid was implemented our grandchildren would be told stories about America and how we used to be free. Lol
Couple of corrections (cause I'm anal, yo) it was a spoken word album not a speech, and it's about the Social Security Amendments of 1965 as a whole (he talks more about Medicare provisions there).
The whole thing is just nuts.

http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/new...-rhetoric-or-familiar-alarmist-claptrap-.html

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's definitely an oversight of the constitution.
And per the constitution the supreme court is supposed to be the highest appeal court and deal with cases that involve diplomats and other states.

Edit: and by the way, I'm not advocating any action in particular regarding that matter, but if I was starting a county from scratch, I would definitely not leave that job to lawyers.
That's fair.

Well, it's not expressly in the constitution that the judiciary is the branch that finally determines the constitutionality of acts of Congress (or conduct of the executive). It was implied from the role of judicial courts generally as the final arbiters of disputes. It was, in short, a power grab. I don't really have a position on how this ought to work in my ideal society, but I feel I probably should as it's pretty important!
I don't get how it's a power grab when it's one of the most easy and logical extrapolations you could make, like if the constitution had said "A + B = C" and then the supreme court decided that "B + A = C" is also true. Here the courts have to settle a dispute based on the law, and one law says X and another law says that the law shouldn't happen in the first place, and as the latter has supremacy the court has to rule that the former has no standing and in fact will never have standing.

Granted, I'm sure it shocked many at the time, simply because of the ramifications, but then again, you also had people who were arguing that the Bill of Rights was already implied and unnecessary as Congress already knew not to do such things. That they never thought about the actual process by which such prohibitions would be enforced wouldn't be too surprising.

That's fair.

I don't get how it's a power grab when it's one of the most easy and logical extrapolations you could make, like if the constitution had said "A + B = C" and then the supreme court decided that "B + A = C" is also true. Here the courts have to settle a dispute based on the law, and one law says X and another law says that the law shouldn't happen in the first place, and as the latter has supremacy the court has to rule that the former has no standing and in fact will never have standing.

The court can rule that it is not its prerogative to make this decision, and that Congress already made it. In other words, the power to determine constitutionality can just as easily rest with the legislative branch as the judicial branch. In his opinion in Marbury v. Madison, Marshall does not really tackle this at all. Instead, he just assumes that nobody has passed on the question yet and the court must resolve the "dispute" according to the "law." There are many places that don't have anything like the judicial review we have here, including the UK, which adheres to the doctrine of parliamentary sovereignty.

It's easy to defend judicial review when thinking about things like ending segregation and upholding religious freedom. But the Supreme Court has been conservative for longer periods of time than it has been progressive, and this has led to the striking down of economic and health and safety regulations and, more recently, to the creation and imposition of corporate citizenship on the country. Nobody passed a law making corporations citizens. But SCOTUS has created these new entities through its power of judicial review.

okay it's finally time for me to bow out of that "sanky panky clings to the gold standard" thread

there's only so much self-absorbed bullshit i can read from one poster

ivysaur12

Banned
And that was that.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/21/21058974-chris-christie-drops-challenge-to-same-sex-marriage-in-new-jersey?lite

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie abandoned the state's legal challenge to same-sex marriage on Monday, hours after gay couples began tying the knot in the wake of a court ruling.

Christie said that while he disagreed with the court's decision, it "left no ambiguity," making New Jersey the 14th state in the nation to legalize same-sex marriage.

Couples began taking advantage of the new law as soon as they could. Senator-elect Cory Booker officiated at seven weddings in the rotunda at Newark City Hall.

"It is officially past midnight, marriage is now equal in New Jersey," Booker said to applause and cheers.

Booker, who had declined to officiate at weddings as mayor of New Jersey until same-sex couples could be included, pronounced the occasion "one of the most magical moments" of his life.

Mayors in cities and towns including Newark, Jersey City, Red Bank, Asbury Park and Lambertville opened their city halls late Sunday to marry couples as soon as the state's 72-hour waiting period for licenses was over.

When Booker asked if anyone objected to the marriage of the night's first couple — retired advertising executive Joseph Panessidi and LGBTQ educator Orville Bell — a protester yelled that the marriages were "unlawful in the eyes of God and Jesus Christ," The Associated Press reported.

The protester was then removed, as Booker continued the ceremony, saying he was "not hearing any substantive and worthy objections."

Newlywed Bell said he and his new husband felt they were a part of history.

"We're in our sixties, which means we've seen tremendous history of monumental events," Bell told the AP. "This is one of those monumental events, that I can be here today and say I'm married to another man."

In Lambertville, one of the first couples in the state to join in a civil union seven years ago, were finally married.

"We're floating on air," Beth Asaro told the AP following the ceremony. "It's like winning the Super Bowl," said Joanne Schailey, her wife and partner of 27 years.

The stage for the all the vow-exchanging was set Friday, when the state Supreme Court refused to delay a lower court order that New Jersey should begin recognizing same-sex marriages.

Christie had appealed that lower court order, but on Monday morning, he ordered it dropped.

"Chief Justice Rabner left no ambiguity about the unanimous court's view on the ultimate decision in this matter when he wrote, 'same-sex couples who cannot marry are not treated equally under the law today,'" he said in a statement.

"Although the Governor strongly disagrees with the Court substituting its judgment for the constitutional process of the elected branches or a vote of the people, the Court has now spoken clearly as to their view of the New Jersey Constitution and, therefore, same-sex marriage is the law.

"The Governor will do his constitutional duty and ensure his Administration enforces the law as dictated by the New Jersey Supreme Court."

Hayley Gorenberg, who was the lead lawyer on the case for gay-rights group Lambda Legal, said she experienced "a collision of joy and momentary disbelief" when she heard the news.

"It’s been so long coming and that has been so wrong, and this is so right," she said. "To have all doubt erased is momentous."

New Jersey legally recognizing same-sex marriage sent couples throughout the state into a frantic scramble, with Christie instructing the state’s Department of Health to cooperate with municipalities to issue licenses.

Newark mayor and senator-elect Cory Booker performed the first of many same-sex marriages in the early hours of Monday morning. New Jersey is now the 14 U.S. state to allow gay marriage.

Christie, a Republican with a national profile, is a popular figure in New Jersey, but his move to drop the appeal could cause him some support if he decides to run for president.

While support for gay marriage has increased across the country, that's not the case among Republican primary voters.

An April NBC/WSJ poll found 53% of Americans said they favored gay marriage, but just 27% of Republican respondents supported it.

If the abandoned appeal were to become an issue in a GOP primary, Christie could counter that "activist" judges were responsible, but that would be the same position that Mitt Romney found himself in when he had to explain to a GOP electorate how gay marriage was legalized on his watch as governor of Massachusetts.

The Associated Press and NBC News' Mark Murray, Alexandra Moe and Simon Moya-Smith contributed to this report.

It didn't hurt Mitt Romney, really, and it won't hurt Chris Christie.

Look, he gets to avoid the embarrassing and increasingly likely threat of the first veto override under his tenure as governor. He doesn't have to have a public referendum on the issue that would cost the state thousands (and he would lose). And now, because of the way this was decided, the press on it was much more muted had their been a NJ SCOTUS case that was definitive. As far as gay marriage legalizations have gone, this is easily most quiet in the news cycle, at least so far.

So, smart. Also: Fuck You Chris Christie.

The court can rule that it is not its prerogative to make this decision, and that Congress already made it. In other words, the power to determine constitutionality can just as easily rest with the legislative branch as the judicial branch. In his opinion in Marbury v. Madison, Marshall does not really tackle this at all. Instead, he just assumes that nobody has passed on the question yet and the court must resolve the "dispute" according to the "law." There are many places that don't have anything like the judicial review we have here, including the UK, which adheres to the doctrine of parliamentary sovereignty.

It's easy to defend judicial review when thinking about things like ending segregation and upholding religious freedom. But the Supreme Court has been conservative for longer periods of time than it has been progressive, and this has led to the striking down of economic and health and safety regulations and, more recently, to the creation and imposition of corporate citizenship on the country. Nobody passed a law making corporations citizens. But SCOTUS has created these new entities through its power of judicial review.

Even then, I still prefer judicial review as the final stop for any constitutional question, even if the results are not necessarily what I would have preferred.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

I'm not defending judicial review because it suits me, but because legislative review makes no sense. You can't depend on a branch of government to determine by itself whether it's out of line. The act of passing laws in clear contradiction with the Constitution already demonstrates their inability to make such decisions. That's not to absolve the judicial branch of responsible judgement, but self-regulation doesn't work and runs counter to the construction of our government. Furthermore, we see this when the executive branch declares that it is the only one who can determine its own legality, like with "executive privilege".

ivysaur12

Banned
In terms of parliamentary review, the UK doesn't really have a constitution, at least not in the sense that we have one, right? They only just established such a court in 2009, but there still is Parliamentary Sovereignty.

And that was that.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/21/21058974-chris-christie-drops-challenge-to-same-sex-marriage-in-new-jersey?lite

It didn't hurt Mitt Romney, really, and it won't hurt Chris Christie.

Look, he gets to avoid the embarrassing and increasingly likely threat of the first veto override under his tenure as governor. He doesn't have to have a public referendum on the issue that would cost the state thousands (and he would lose). And now, because of the way this was decided, the press on it was much more muted had their been a NJ SCOTUS case that was definitive. As far as gay marriage legalizations have gone, this is easily most quiet in the news cycle, at least so far.

So, smart. Also: Fuck You Chris Christie.

Even then, I still prefer judicial review as the final stop for any constitutional question, even if the results are not necessarily what I would have preferred.

hey, where's my OT thread discussing this?

besada

Banned
Here's what I think:

Cruz cannot win with the current GOP. His best strategy is therefore to change the GOP itself, even if it means short term losses.

It's a loser strategy but the best he's got.

It seems obvious that the Tea Party is fighting for control of the Republican party. Many of them are willing to explicitly state as much. Instead of the TP being routed from the party, they expect the opposite -- the ejection of all the RINOs.

They're delusional, but that's nothing new. Personally, I'm enjoying watching the Republican party eat itself. I expected this to happen when the TP first showed up. If you let the fringe wing of your party carry the ball, they're generally unwilling to give it up just because they're carrying in the wrong direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom