• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

Absolutely great read on the Obama-Reid partnership during the Gov Shutdown standoff:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/22/obama-reid_n_4136996.html

Moreover, he was concerned about any trade of permanent entitlement reform for temporary spending bumps. Even if he did like the offer, however, he couldn't sell a package like that to congressional Democrats unless it included a revenue increase.
This is critical, as McConnell has been openly talking about being willing to trade short term spending "relief" for long-term entitlement cuts. His reasoning being, the latter tend to stick while he'd get to re-fight the spending battle each year. That Obama recognizes that is a hopeful sign for the budget conference.

You know what? Good on 'em. It seems that unlike most of the right, they actually did learn from the 2012 elections and aren't just showing what their audience wants to hear.
Probably helps that their boss quit.

They also have the Democrats leading the generic ballot by 7.

The current HuffPo average has Dems up by 6.9 points, which is tracking pretty close to their 8 point win in 2006. Assuming the economy keeps humming along, Obamacare gets over its growing pains, and the GOP keeps being dicks about the budget and immigration, I'd expect this advantage to hold up.

Corporate Democrat versus theocrat/Tea-Partier. It sucks when that is your choice. Just like the Cory Booker race.
Tom Perriello. I'd almost be willing to bet money that the Clinton and Obama camps came to some type of deal in order to convince Perriello not to run. He's an Obama loyalist and war vet who fell on his sword in 2010, and could have easily defeated McAuffile in a primary with the same playbook Obama used in 2008.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mark Warner is Hillary's VP choice, and McAuffile appoints Perriello to his senate seat. And eventually he'll run for governor.

Tom Perriello. I'd almost be willing to bet money that the Clinton and Obama camps came to some type of deal in order to convince Perriello not to run. He's an Obama loyalist and war vet who fell on his sword in 2010, and could have easily defeated McAuffile in a primary with the same playbook Obama used in 2008.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mark Warner is Hillary's VP choice, and McAuffile appoints Perriello to his senate seat. And eventually he'll run for governor.
Perriello is fantastic. I hope he gives another run in Virginia soon, for Senate, Governor, or his old congressional seat.

I'm fully expecting Warner to be Hillary's VP candidate.

Jonathan Chait: "The Shutdown Was Not a Failed Strategy. It Wasn’t a Strategy at All."

Wehner argues forcefully against this vein of fatalism. The Republican pragmatists believe Heritage, Ted Cruz, and other hucksters manipulated the tea party into endorsing a doomed maneuver. But the shutdown was the tea party’s attempt to stop Obamacare in roughly the same sense the Days of Rage was Weatherman’s attempt to stop the Vietnam War.

If you watch the video above, you’ll see familiar echoes of the recent events in Washington: far-fetched scenarios, confessions that the effort was worthwhile even if it was doomed, even the Gadsden Flag. Its adherents may have wanted to believe they would achieve their goal, but the lack of any plausible path by which the end might follow the means did not trouble them. The demonstration of outrage was a form of politics well suited for a movement that views itself as a hopeless minority in a democratic process rigged against them. It is a (not the, but a) logical culmination of a movement that loses its now-or-never moment. Everything that has happened since then in Washington: the backlash against Republican efforts at accommodation, the ever greater frenzies of protest, the rejection of traditional notions of compromise and attainability — this is what never looks like.

Absolutely great read on the Obama-Reid partnership during the Gov Shutdown standoff:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/22/obama-reid_n_4136996.html
Reid's faint praise of Obama as a "nice man" seems telling. I'm glad Obama held firm for once, now it's time to do it again. At least he realizes trading long term entitlement cuts for short term sequestration relief is ridiculous.

That jobs report is pretty ehh btw. Something needs to be done or this economy will continue to slowly starve to death. The 7.2 unemployment number is as deceptive as Matthew Stafford's passing numbers. People are giving up on jobs, youth unemployment remains high, black unemployment is high etc. with no end in sight.

Ann Coulter did an AMA for Reddit yesterday. Here's an excerpt:

wSQOE1p.png

:jnc

If you want, you can read the rest here.

bonercop

Reid's faint praise of Obama as a "nice man" seems telling. I'm glad Obama held firm for once, now it's time to do it again. At least he realizes trading long term entitlement cuts for short term sequestration relief is ridiculous.

That jobs report is pretty ehh btw. Something needs to be done or this economy will continue to slowly starve to death. The 7.2 unemployment number is as deceptive as Matthew Stafford's passing numbers. People are giving up on jobs, youth unemployment remains high, black unemployment is high etc. with no end in sight.

Bit of a catch-22 there. The only way the economy is going to get back on track at this point is if dems control the house, the senate and the presidency. The only way for the dems to get control over the house is if the economy picks up a little.

If Obamacare is a success, and republicans continue their suicide strategy, it could happen.

Ann Coulter did an AMA for Reddit yesterday. Here's an excerpt:
Fucking amazing. She is both a particle and a wave.

Edit: Also, I don't think I've read anything as politically damning as this line, from Ramesh Ponnuru's conversation with an anonymous Republican senator:

He also expresses a deeper anxiety. At a Senate Republican lunch the day of the vote, someone mentioned that the party wasn’t ready to run the Senate: If Republicans had held a majority in both the House and the Senate, they wouldn’t have been able to pass anything in either chamber. The senator thinks such a turn of events would have been “incredibly damaging.”

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

That's why people, including myself, were starting to wonder if they'd take us into default. It should have been obvious that they wouldn't dare do it because that would destroy the economy and the republicans would be blamed, but it should have been obvious that they would look totally unreasonable shutting down under those conditions and that they would get nothing from it, but they did that anyway too.

I understand the fear of primaries, but you'd think they'd still allow Boehner to pass a CR with little republican support before the shutdown destroyed the party's reputation, since that vote was going to eventually happen anyway.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
By "determined," I mean the website itself determines it. Like, a tea party forum or DailyKos Forum or a Ron Paul Forum.

GAF has an obvious lean; I'm referring to websites targeting a specific lean rather than ones that just happen to have one.

That's because GAF is an international forum. And the majority of the world views anarcho-capitalists as, justifiably, batshit crazy.

In America? They get prodded around by the media trying to play the neutrality/false equivalence game.

"One side wants anarchy. The other wants minor regulations. Which is correct? YOU DECIDE!"

That's because GAF is an international forum. And the majority of the world views anarcho-capitalists as, justifiably, batshit crazy.

In America? They get prodded around by the media trying to play the neutrality/false equivalence game.

"One side wants anarchy. The other wants minor regulations. Which is correct? YOU DECIDE!"

The media only does false equivalencies when the GOP is fucking up and about to screw us over.

When it's Democrats? They have NO PROBLEM being partisan.

The First Post-Presidential Debate media discussion after Romney "won" against Obama, was fucking disgusting

Trouble

Banned
The media only does false equivalencies when the GOP is fucking up and about to screw us over.

When it's Democrats? They have NO PROBLEM being partisan.

The First Post-Presidential Debate media discussion after Romney "won" against Obama, was fucking disgusting

I think a lot of that comes down to the media desperately wanting the Presidential race to be close in order to drive ratings.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think a lot of that comes down to the media desperately wanting the Presidential race to be close in order to drive ratings.

Partly that and the idea of the "liberal media" has become so ingrained in our culture that it doesn't matter if it's true or not so they have to combat that.

dabig2

Indeed. Horse race and all that for ratings. It's why the media clinged as much to the skewed polls as the GOP did.

When it comes to the media, it truly is "nothing personal, just business". Too bad they also destroy their credibility and integrity in the process...

Wilsongt

Issa's investigating again.

House Republicans probe White House role in health care rollout

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Congressional Republicans on Tuesday announced a new investigation into the troubled rollout of President Barack Obama's health care reforms, aimed at learning what role the White House may have played in decisions about the design and development of problem-plagued website Healthcare.gov.

In a letter to two top White House technology officers, Republicans on the House of Representatives Oversight and Government Reform Committee said their investigation already points to significant White House involvement in discussions between the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and contractor CGI Federal.

CGI officials have also told committee staff that the widely criticized design feature requiring visitors to create accounts before shopping for insurance was implemented in late August or early September, barely a month before the October 1 start of open enrollment.

The requirement is said to have led to a traffic bottleneck that worsened underlying flaws in a system intended to serve millions of Americans under the 2010 Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare. The technology problems have frustrated attempts by many to sign on and allowed only a trickle of enrollments.

The probe, the second House Republican investigation into Obamacare, is the latest example of efforts by the party to advance their opposition to the law after failing to derail it during a 16-day government shutdown in October. For Republicans, the healthcare law is an unwarranted expansion of the federal government.

Obama said on Monday he was frustrated by the website's problems and that the administration had called in leading technology experts to help to fix it. A prolonged delay in getting Healthcare.gov to work could jeopardize the White House's effort to sign up as many as 7 million people in 2014, the first full year it takes effect.

The White House and the Department of Health and Human Services, which oversees CMS, had no immediate comment on the October 21 letter addressed to U.S. Chief Information Officer Steve VanRoekel and U.S. Chief Technology Officer Todd Park.

"We are concerned that the administration required contractors to change course late in the implementation process to conceal Obamacare's effect on increasing health insurance premiums," said the letter authored by panel chairman Darrell Issa and four Republican subcommittee chairmen.

Under Issa's leadership, the oversight committee has pursued the Obama administration on one matter or another since Republicans took control of the U.S. House in the 2010 elections. As chairman, or earlier as its senior Republican when Democrats controlled Congress, Issa established a record of leveling accusations against the White House and demanding reams of documents that then become administrative minefields.

They have included inquiries into aspects of the financial crisis, the September 2012 attacks on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, and allegations this year that the Internal Revenue Service targeted applicants for tax exempt status because of their political beliefs.

The House Energy and Commerce Committee has started its own investigation and is scheduled to question U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and several contractors at separate hearings within the next eight days.

Issa's committee is asking VanRoekel and Park to provide all documents and communications that describe the federal system's architecture and design, CMS' role as system integrator, problems relayed to the White House and the decision to require account creation as a prerequisite to seeing insurance plans.

Issa's not happy unless he is probing something, it seems.

Fucking amazing. She is both a particle and a wave.

Edit: Also, I don't think I've read anything as politically damning as this line, from Ramesh Ponnuru's conversation with an anonymous Republican senator:

As always, comments are the best:

This Senator may know how to count. What he does not know is how to win. Or how to lead. Or how to fight. Or how to play the long game.

He knows how to win simple, immediate battles. He does not know how to win a war.

In short, he is a Captain or maybe a Major. He is not a General. Or a Lt. Colonel. He is in fact a loser. In fact, he is such a loser that he won't even let Ponnuru say the Senator's name. How's that for no cojones?

As are people who parrot this Senator. Ramesh Ponnuru? Is that you?

Death to the Republican Party.
Long live the Tea Party.

Probably helps that their boss quit.

They also have the Democrats leading the generic ballot by 7.

The current HuffPo average has Dems up by 6.9 points, which is tracking pretty close to their 8 point win in 2006. Assuming the economy keeps humming along, Obamacare gets over its growing pains, and the GOP keeps being dicks about the budget and immigration, I'd expect this advantage to hold up.
not gonna happen man
http://politicalwire.com/archives/2013/10/22/a_wave_might_not_be_enough_for_democrats_in_2014.html

ivysaur12

Banned
is this by the onion?

Of course not. Brobamacare. For the bros.

Also, the website isn't Do You Have Healthcare.com, it's Do You Got Healthcare.com.

Amazing.

EDIT: I'm also guessing every type of person in this picture would already have health insurance through their parents, so I'm not really sure if that's the best young demo to chase. Still. lol

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Of course not. Brobamacare. For the bros.

Also, the website isn't Do You Have Healthcare.com, it's Do You Got Healthcare.com.

Amazing.

EDIT: I'm also guessing every type of person in this picture would already have health insurance through their parents, so I'm not really sure if that's the best young demo to chase. Still. lol

You've got a point there.

0i5aokY.png

PD I know my predictions are absurdly optimistic and yet in 2012 I was completely right, even while you kept parroting unskewed dead heat bullshit. Gimme some credit here.

The problem with the GOP's gerrymander is how many seats they gave themselves where Obama won 48-49% of the vote. If there was a uniform 3-pt swing in those districts, they would fall like dominoes and Pelosi would be Speaker again by a comfortable margin.

A lot can change between now and election day but these polling numbers are entirely of the GOP's own making and I see no reason why they're going to suddenly get their act together. There's going to be a shutdown fight in January, there's going to be a shutdown fight next September, and probably a buttload of primary challenges along the way.

So I tried using healthcare.gov today. I got through creating an account they recognize me but when I do to browse plans nothing shows up.

Is this one of the bugs?

PD I know my predictions are absurdly optimistic and yet in 2012 I was completely right, even while you kept parroting unskewed dead heat bullshit. Gimme some credit here.

The problem with the GOP's gerrymander is how many seats they gave themselves where Obama won 48-49% of the vote. If there was a uniform 3-pt swing in those districts, they would fall like dominoes and Pelosi would be Speaker again by a comfortable margin.

A lot can change between now and election day but these polling numbers are entirely of the GOP's own making and I see no reason why they're going to suddenly get their act together. There's going to be a shutdown fight in January, there's going to be a shutdown fight next September, and probably a buttload of primary challenges along the way.

Gerrymandering actually increases the number of swing districts. If I recall correctly. Because of one person one vote to gerrymander places like PA or OH they can't give themselves a seat with a 10 pt advantage everywhere, but they can take a 5 or 6 pt dem and make it a 3pt republican.

From 1998

But Ted Cruz, Boehner's attorney, said the fund-raising letter demonstrates nothing and highlights the weakness of McDermott's defense. Boehner alleges that McDermott gave the taped phone call - which Republicans argue did not violate any promise made by Gingrich - to The New York Times, The Atlanta Journal and Roll Call, a semiweekly congressional newspaper.

"The fund-raising letter is much ado about nothing," Cruz said. "Congressman McDermott has consistently attempted to delay the litigation and drive up the expense. It is reasonably expected that Congressman Boehner will use the means at his disposal to raise the funds to pursue this lawsuit."

WUT

Gerrymandering actually increases the number of swing districts. If I recall correctly. Because of one person one vote to gerrymander places like PA or OH they can't give themselves a seat with a 10 pt advantage everywhere, but they can take a 5 or 6 pt dem and make it a 3pt republican.
http://election.princeton.edu/2013/10/17/house-2014-election-analysis-errors-not-mine-i-think/

It's because they packed the districts with right-leaning independents instead of packing them with Republicans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom