• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chichikov

Issa's investigating again.

House Republicans probe White House role in health care rollout

Issa's not happy unless he is probing something, it seems.
To be fair, that is something that deserved to be probed, and while Issa is no doubt trying to get political points out of it, maybe that hearing can get some answers and maybe fix some things in the future.

If that AMA doesn't convince you Ann is a master troll and is playing everyone (both on the left and right) then I don't know what will.
It's like watching the greatest penis puppeteer in in the world, sure, you don't really appreciate the artform, but on some level, you got to recognize greatness.
And since I post that video any chance I get, and this definitely a chance, here we go again.

Snake

PD I know my predictions are absurdly optimistic and yet in 2012 I was completely right, even while you kept parroting unskewed dead heat bullshit. Gimme some credit here.

The problem with the GOP's gerrymander is how many seats they gave themselves where Obama won 48-49% of the vote. If there was a uniform 3-pt swing in those districts, they would fall like dominoes and Pelosi would be Speaker again by a comfortable margin.

A lot can change between now and election day but these polling numbers are entirely of the GOP's own making and I see no reason why they're going to suddenly get their act together. There's going to be a shutdown fight in January, there's going to be a shutdown fight next September, and probably a buttload of primary challenges along the way.

The problem is, it's simply unprecedented for the Dems to do that well next year.

Midterm elections in which a 2nd-term President's party has won seats in the House :
1) 1806, Thomas Jefferson.
2) 1814, James Madison.
3) 1822, James Monroe.
(In all three cases, they were merely increasing their commanding majorities in the House. With all of this taking place in elections with severely limited voting rights.)

*176 years pass, elections actually become democratic, etc*

4) 1998, Bill Clinton. D+5 seats.

And yes, it happened after House Republicans shut down the federal government. But Democrats managing to pick up 18 seats to recapture the majority in 2014 would be the most striking midterm victory of its kind in the history of the nation.

That's not to say that it's impossible, but it would either require Republicans to actually go through with 1 or 2 additional government shutdowns, or for something unimaginable to happen which would be equally damaging to the party. And, as much as I have faith in Republican stupidity in the 113th Congress, I don't see how they could be THAT suicidal in an election year.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
TbDNeSv.gif

It's not going to happen Strife. There's no historical precedent and while some gerrymandered districts are vulnerable, enough aren't. Plus there are wildcards like Obamacare, which looks like a disaster thus far in many states. Will the site improve soon enough to sign more folks up, or will we pass the deadline(s) without seeing improvements. Also, those people who are seeing their March 2010 plans dropped...how will they influence public opinion.

Then there's the economy, which is still stumbling about like a drunk sailor. I think democrats will do well in 2014, but just not good enough to retake the house. There would have to be a wave election of epic proportions...and I just don't see a catalyst (Iraq, Obamacare, etc). People hate the GOP right now, but I'm more apt to believe they'll move back to the "both parties are the same/suck" camp in a few months.

And btw McConnell also said there won't be another shut down so I'm not too worried about that. Boehner let his caucus play that game, I don't see it happening again.

Cory Booker is only the 4th African American elected to the senate... depressing how little the senate represents America
I see your Ramierez, and raise you this:

I swear this person has nothing better to do than make shitty image macros all day.
What's up with the Final fantasy hair in the last pic?

w-poll22.jpg

Asked who they consider responsible for the impasse, 53 percent of poll respondents cite Republicans, 29 percent blame Obama and 15 percent fault both sides equally. Republicans who support the tea party movement overwhelmingly blame Obama for what happened, but among Republicans who do not back the tea party, almost as many cite congressional Republicans as name Obama or both.

Perceptions of the way Republicans handled the budget negotiations grew steadily worse through the weeks of confrontation, rising from 63 percent disapproval on the eve of the 16-day shutdown, which began Oct. 1, to 77 percent disapproval by the time it ended. Nearly three in five Republicans disapprove of their party’s handling of the negotiations.
WashPo

Please remember this voters.

Wilsongt

Someone on Hannity basically brought up the idea of that liberals don't understand how capitalism works and compared the low prices of Wal-Mart to health insurance prices...

There's a reason why Wal-Mart's prices are so low, and it's not because they are trying to be competitive...

http://news.yahoo.com/ax-falls-antarctic-research-projects-shutdown-000947868.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/15/government-shutdown-fourth-miner-killed_n_4101143.html
Etc.

This shutdown had no major lasting effects... nope... no people who died needlessly, no important research that won't happen... oh wait, yes there was, both of those things happened!

So yeah, we should just do this again next year, right? What a good idea. Because taking away peoples' health care is THAT IMPORTANT!

As for those articles, I saw mention of the possibility of that first one happening in a post in the shutdown thread, but not this news that yes, it actually did: a lot of antarctic research was shut down for the year. Not sure about the other one, about four miners dying in four days during the shutdown, while many mine safety officials could not work.

There's also this (below article), which is not about the Washington shutdown, but is a death that was a result of a Republican budget cuts.
http://citypaper.net/article.php?16461

It's not going to happen Strife. There's no historical precedent and while some gerrymandered districts are vulnerable, enough aren't. Plus there are wildcards like Obamacare, which looks like a disaster thus far in many states. Will the site improve soon enough to sign more folks up, or will we pass the deadline(s) without seeing improvements. Also, those people who are seeing their March 2010 plans dropped...how will they influence public opinion.

Then there's the economy, which is still stumbling about like a drunk sailor. I think democrats will do well in 2014, but just not good enough to retake the house. There would have to be a wave election of epic proportions...and I just don't see a catalyst (Iraq, Obamacare, etc). People hate the GOP right now, but I'm more apt to believe they'll move back to the "both parties are the same/suck" camp in a few months.

And btw McConnell also said there won't be another shut down so I'm not too worried about that. Boehner let his caucus play that game, I don't see it happening again.
There's no historical precedence for plurality disapproval of peoples' OWN congressman, no matter how far back you go in polling.

McConnell has no say over Boehner's caucus, so I don't take him saying "there will be no shutdown" to mean "there will be no shutdown." That's what Republicans were saying before the shutdown too.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
There's no historical precedence for plurality disapproval of peoples' OWN congressman, no matter how far back you go in polling.

McConnell has no say over Boehner's caucus, so I don't take him saying "there will be no shutdown" to mean "there will be no shutdown." That's what Republicans were saying before the shutdown too.

Yeah, Boehner, Cantor, McConnell and McCain said a shutdown would be stupid well before a shutdown occurred, and I figured them all as the 4 most powerful republicans. That's why I was completely certain there would be no shutdown.

It's very possible they learned their lesson this time, but I'm not going to dismiss the possibility that they'll try this again, no matter what they say. Let's see what comes out of that December deadline first.

Angry Fork

There would not have been a shutdown this time if Boehner had held a vote. Now that it's clear he is unwilling to shoot the hostage, why would there be another prolonged shutdown? This isn't like 1995/1996 where there was a relatively random shutdown over the budget. Republicans would essentially have to repeat their October farce: who thinks that would work?

Boehner is somehow stronger now than he was before the shutdown. Why would he allow his caucus to burn the country down in an election year lol?

Edit: also how will Boehner do anything without the GOP senate backing him up? McConnell gave him his chance and he failed. He's now on record saying there won't be another shutdown. That tells me that he's going to work out a plan with Reid faster next time.

WASHINGTON — Foes of President Barack Obama's healthcare law lost a bid on Tuesday to put an immediate stop to a key part of the law - the insurance subsidies in the 34 U.S. states that declined to establish their own online marketplaces.
At a court hearing, U.S. District Judge Paul Friedman in Washington, D.C., declined to grant a preliminary injunction sought by a group of individuals and small businesses that in a lawsuit call the subsidies unlawful.

Friedman ruled their lawsuit could move forward and said he would rule on its overall merits by mid-February, rejecting an argument from the Obama administration that the suit was too speculative to be considered.

The latest round of legal challenges to the Affordable Care Act, also known as "Obamacare," focuses on whether the 2010 law allows for subsidies in all states or only in states that have set up exchanges.

Only 16 states and the District of Columbia chose to set up the online marketplaces where people without private health insurance can shop for it, forcing the federal government to create them in the remaining states.

Subsidies, in the form of tax credits, are available to people with annual incomes of up to 400 percent of the federal poverty level, or $94,200 for a family of four. The Obama administration views the subsidies as essential if the law is going to work, because otherwise many people could not afford private insurance.

The suit was brought by a mix of individuals and businesses from Texas, Kansas, Missouri, Tennessee, West Virginia and Virginia. The plaintiffs argue the subsidies are unlawful and impose a burden by forcing them to purchase the insurance or else pay a penalty.
http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2013/10/22/us/politics/22reuters-usa-courts-obamacare.html?hp&_r=0

The GOP is fucking stupid as all hell. Imagine if they win this suit. What is the outcome? All the blue states that run the exchanges get subsidies and all the red states do not. Well, what do you think happens next? If everyone in a red state must pay $300 if young and $1200 if an older couple, they're not going to buy. But they'll see that their healthcare is almost free in the blue states and all of a sudden you're going to see huge exodus out of Texas and into California.

Businesses will flock to blue states, quite obviously. What a competitive advantage this would be.

These people have no idea what they're doing.

In other news: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/10/21/why-obamacare-is-fantastic-success/

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2013/10/22/us/politics/22reuters-usa-courts-obamacare.html?hp&_r=0

The GOP is fucking stupid as all hell. Imagine if they win this suit. What is the outcome? All the blue states that run the exchanges get subsidies and all the red states do not. Well, what do you think happens next? If everyone in a red state must pay $300 if young and $1200 if an older couple, they're not going to buy. But they'll see that their healthcare is almost free in the blue states and all of a sudden you're going to see huge exodus out of Texas and into California.

Businesses will flock to blue states, quite obviously. What a competitive advantage this would be.

These people have no idea what they're doing.

You are more optimistic then me...

You are more optimistic then me...

Yeah, I agree...I think it'll be worse. Becasue the GOP'll try to spin this as "Obamacare is hurting people! Repeal the whole thing!"

GOP is like one of those corrupt movie small town police officers:

"Boy, I pulled you over because you have a busted tail-light."

"I don't have a busted tail-light."

"Come'ere an' I'll show ya."

Both walk to the back of the car. Police office proceeds to use his billy-club to smash the tail-light.

"See. Busted tail-light."

Iowa be damned, it's the Virginia Gubernatorial Election that is the crucial springboard to any successful president run.

To be fair, it's extremely likely George Allen would've been a leading contender for the GOP nomination in '06 if not for Macaca and Warner was pimped in '08 and '12 before choosing not to run.

Wilsongt

So apparently a white house nsa person was running a parody twitter account and got fired. I wasn't paying attention to what fox news was flapping their gums about until Benghazi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom