• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I like how she mentions being nervous, then pounds out the speech flawlessly with no hint of nervousness. Totally pandering to the crowd, she's got a future in politics, lol.

Maybe, but it's also a thing you can do to allay nerves. I've done it, I have been told to do it, it's fairly common advice for kids her age.

uh oh

Peter Hamby reviews Double Down: Game Change 2012 by Mark Halperin and John Heilemann and focuses on Mitt Romney's wariness of New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie during the presidential campaign.

"Halperin and Heilemann make abundant use of a vice-presidential vetting file dropped into their hands by someone in Romney's orbit to illuminate secrets about the governor. Delivering the documents to the authors was a stunning breach of political decorum that can only be read as a giant middle finger at Christie and his aides."

"His 'disturbing' research file is littered with 'garish controversies,' the authors write: a Justice Department investigation into his free-spending ways as U.S. attorney, his habit of steering government contracts to friends and political allies, a defamation lawsuit that emerged during a 1994 run for local office, a politically problematic lobbying career that included work on behalf of a financial firm that employed Bernie Madoff. And that's not to mention the Romney team's anxiety about the governor's girth."
http://politicalwire.com/archives/2013/11/03/christies_skeletons.html

I knew the book would have some details, but I had no idea someone from Romney's camp gave them the entire fucking vetting file. Wow.

Wilsongt

Ugh. The more I think about it, no matter how justified the administrations excuses are, it's still pissing me off that the rollout was such a goddamn trainwreck. Our first shot at healthcare reform and we may be set back decades AGAIN because of media propaganda and people's inability to think critically OR rationally.

The Republicans wanted it to fail so badly, and Obama gave them want they wanted on a silver platter. It's disgusting, but it truly is on the head of the Obama administration at this point.

Link

The Autumn Wind
You guys seriously need to stop freaking out over the website having issues. People have already forgotten about a government shutdown literally weeks after it happened. Once the site is running ok, no one is going to give a shit. Most people aren't going to attempt to sign up until closer to the deadline anyway. That's the American Way.

You guys seriously need to stop freaking out over the website having issues. People have already forgotten about a government shutdown literally weeks after it happened. Once the site is running ok, no one is going to give a shit. Most people aren't going to attempt to sign up until closer to the deadline anyway. That's the American Way.

This. For Fuck's sake, wake me up in August 2014.

PPP final poll of Virginia 2013

Terry McAuliffe 50
Ken Cuccinelli 43

Ralph Northam 52
E.W. Jackson 39

Herring 47
Obenshain 45
Dem sweep, baby.

Though I'm sure healthcare.gov benghazi gate will surge the tea party to victory.

Dem sweep, baby.

Though I'm sure healthcare.gov benghazi gate will surge the tea party to victory.

dems haven't held the AG since 1994, would be nice.

and Northam has been hammering Jackson this weekend. All I see are his ads about Jackson calling mental disables God's punishment. And the Chooch is just saying Obamacare and taxes and hoping it sticks.

Didn't realize Obama published an op-ed in the HuffPo for ENDA

Here in the United States, we're united by a fundamental principle: we're all created equal and every single American deserves to be treated equally in the eyes of the law. We believe that no matter who you are, if you work hard and play by the rules, you deserve the chance to follow your dreams and pursue your happiness. That's America's promise.

That's why, for instance, Americans can't be fired from their jobs just because of the color of their skin or for being Christian or Jewish or a woman or an individual with a disability. That kind of discrimination has no place in our nation. And yet, right now, in 2013, in many states a person can be fired simply for being lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender.

As a result, millions of LGBT Americans go to work every day fearing that, without any warning, they could lose their jobs -- not because of anything they've done, but simply because of who they are.

It's offensive. It's wrong. And it needs to stop, because in the United States of America, who you are and who you love should never be a fireable offense.

That's why Congress needs to pass the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, also known as ENDA, which would provide strong federal protections against discrimination, making it explicitly illegal to fire someone because of their sexual orientation or gender identity. This bill has strong bipartisan support and the support of a vast majority of Americans. It ought to be the law of the land.

Americans ought to be judged by one thing only in their workplaces: their ability to get their jobs done. Does it make a difference if the firefighter who rescues you is gay -- or the accountant who does your taxes, or the mechanic who fixes your car? If someone works hard every day, does everything he or she is asked, is responsible and trustworthy and a good colleague, that's all that should matter.

Business agrees. The majority of Fortune 500 companies and small businesses already have nondiscrimination policies that protect LGBT employees. These companies know that it's both the right thing to do and makes good economic sense. They want to attract and retain the best workers, and discrimination makes it harder to do that.

So too with our nation. If we want to create more jobs and economic growth and keep our country competitive in the global economy, we need everyone working hard, contributing their ideas, and putting their abilities to use doing what they do best. We need to harness the creativity and talents of every American.

So I urge the Senate to vote yes on ENDA and the House of Representatives to do the same. Several Republican Senators have already voiced their support, as have a number of Republicans in the House. If more members of Congress step up, we can put an end to this form of discrimination once and for all.

Passing ENDA would build on the progress we've made in recent years. We stood up against hate crimes with the Matthew Shepard Act and lifted the entry ban for travelers with HIV. We ended "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" so our brave servicemen and women can serve openly the country they love, no matter who they love. We prohibited discrimination in housing and hospitals that receive federal funding, and we passed the Violence Against Women Act, which includes protections for LGBT Americans.

My Administration had stopped defending the so-called Defense of Marriage Act, and earlier this year the U.S. Supreme Court struck down that discriminatory law. Now we're implementing that ruling, giving married couples access to the federal benefits they were long denied. And across the nation, as more and more states recognize marriage equality, we're seeing loving couples -- some who have been together for decades -- finally join their hands in marriage.

America is at a turning point. We're not only becoming more accepting and loving as a people, we're becoming more just as a nation. But we still have a way to go before our laws are equal to our Founding ideals. As I said in my second inaugural address, our nation's journey toward equality isn't complete until our gay brothers and sisters are treated like anyone else under the law, for if we are truly created equal, then surely the love we commit to one another must be equal as well.

In America of all places, people should be judged on the merits: on the contributions they make in their workplaces and communities, and on what Martin Luther King Jr. called "the content of their character." That's what ENDA helps us do. When Congress passes it, I will sign it into law, and our nation will be fairer and stronger for generations to come.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/barack-obama/enda-congress_b_4209115.html

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, too bad that book didn't drop weeks ago. Christie would probably be done, or at least the race would be closer.

Mitt Romney did crazy damage control about it on behalf of Christie on Meet the Press today, saying that the vetting issues in the book are out of date and that Christie could be the savior of the Republican party. I think that book might have scared the Republican establishment a bit.

He also basically flat out called Cruz unelectable.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Mitt Romney did crazy damage control about it on behalf of Christie on Meet the Press today, saying that the vetting issues in the book are out of date and that Christie could be the savior of the Republican party. I think that book might have scared the Republican establishment a bit.

Yikes, sounds like there's some real shit in there. Sounds like Christie is done. Romney's telling the truth about Cruz, he won't play outside the bubble.

If this can sink Christie then the GOP has absolutely no one left. Not a soul. They really need to find someone not crazy with a good record. With enough money to make it through the primary without going full teatard.

Dem sweep, baby.

Well seriously . . . I can't believe that many people went for the crazy lower office people. The guy who thinks Yoga makes the devil take over your mind? I mean come on. Come the fuck on. Those people are fucking crazy.

I think that's more about saving Romney than Christie. I doubt the book as anything big. Christie ran in 2009, why wouldn't that stuff have come out then?

Well . . . . he is right. I hope people dismiss him as a crazy Mormon RINO.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think that's more about saving Romney than Christie. I doubt the book as anything big. Christie ran in 2009, why wouldn't that stuff have come out then?

Everything doesn't come out in every election. I'm not surprised bad stuff hasn't come out yet, sometimes it just doesn't.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

For the record, when I say it scared them a bit, I meant just a bit. Like maybe enough to tighten the margin on this election, and something for the media to put in their pocket and bring it out come time to play ring around the scandal in the primaries.

Neither huge nor insignificant really.

There's no such thing as a clean Jersey politician. How Christie handles this seems more important to me. For instance, is he going to blow up when asked about it on 60 Minutes/Meet The Press/etc in a couple years? I'm sure his team is working to put out these fires, but it'll be up to Christie to not blow his own campaign up by throwing a tantrum.

FyreWulff

Romney taking the entire GOP down with him? Please proceed, governor.

That seems to be the GOP's thing. Eat each other up and cash out.

The Dems better hope their 2016 candidate is figured out quickly, and let the GOP have 30-person debates until the twilight hour. And with superpacs around, you're gonna see a lot more Newts that get propped up by sheer money so that they stick around longer.

Diablos

Obamacare: Memo reveals health care adviser warned W.H. was losing control 3 years ago

(CBS News) CBS News is learning the Obama administration knew of the risks associated with the Obamacare rollout well before last month.

Three years ago, a trusted Obama health care adviser warned the White House it was losing control of Obamacare. A memo obtained by CBS News said strong leadership was missing and the law's successful implementation was in jeopardy. The warnings were specific and dire -- and ignored.

David Cutler, who worked on the Obama 2008 campaign and was a valued outside health care consultant wrote this blunt memo to top White House economic adviser Larry Summers in May 2010: "I do not believe the relevant members of the administration understand the president's vision or have the capability to carry it out."

Cutler wrote no one was in charge who had any experience in complex business start-ups. He also worried basic regulations, technology and policy coordination would fail.

"You need to have people who have understanding of the political process, people who understand how to work within an administration and people who understand how to start and build a business, and unfortunately, they just didn't get all of those people together," Cutler said.

The White House dismissed these and other warnings. It relied on appointed bureaucrats and senior White House health care advisers. Fearful of constant attacks from congressional Republicans, the White House became secretive about the law's complexity and regulatory reach.

Cutler said: "It is frustrating any time you really want to see something succeed because you believe it's good for people, and it doesn't get off on the right foot."

One month after its launch, the federal health care website remains hobbled. Dan Pfeiffer, senior White House adviser, said Sunday: "The website failures are absolutely inexcusable, and we own that."

Some Democrats have proposed dramatic action, including Sen. Diane Feinstein, of Calif., who said on "Face the Nation" Sunday, "I said this direct to the president's chief of staff, that they ought to take down the website until it was right."

Republicans doubt White House promises to fix the health care site by month's end. Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Mich., said on "Face the Nation: "They're trying to change a tire on a car going 70 miles an hour down the expressway."

Some Democrats, like Mass. Democratic Gov. Deval Patrick, say the website troubles are actually a good thing because they force the president to go out and sell the law again to the country. The president will do just that Wednesday when he will travel to Dallas to visit an enrollment center and thank volunteers for signing people up.
I believe this is a time where Obama's critics can start to get away with criticizing him for leadership issues. A lot of those criticisms are overblown when it comes to other things but... Obama owns this.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Obamacare: Memo reveals health care adviser warned W.H. was losing control 3 years ago

I believe this is a time where Obama's critics can start to get away with criticizing him for leadership issues. A lot of those criticisms are overblown when it comes to other things but... Obama owns this.

That article is conflating two things. The memo was warning about managing the Obamacare rollout, it said nothing about the website and its technical problems, where the majority of the issues are.

Diablos

That article is conflating two things. The memo was warning about managing the Obamacare rollout, it said nothing about the website and its technical problems, where the majority of the issues are.
Yeah but what I mean is the article speaks to how he led the implementation of the ACA. It's not just about the website.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2...christie_wagging_his_finger_at_a_teacher.html

Most people commenting on the photo have gotten the details right, but I've noticed some (occasionally rude) remarks about the expression on his wife's face. Mary Pat Christie smiled through the entire talk-off. Why? Because a local NBC News camera was facing at her, capturing the scene. Two days later, I don't see any trace of the video online. Is that a statement on how ordinary the confrontation was? Possibly. I think it's also a reflection of the frontrunner coverage boosting Christie as the race ends, as the polls showing him winning (with up to 37 percent of voters not even knowing who is opponent is) are taken as prima facie evidence that he's running a faultless campaign. The day after this little contretemps, one of north Jersey's major papers ran an analysis of how the governor's tone had moderated so much recently.

pigeon

Banned
That won't pass the Senate or get a vote in the House.

Weigel thinks it might pass the Senate -- 55 Democrats, Collins and Kirk (cosponsors), Murkowski and Hatch (voted for it in committee) and either Portman (pro-gay marriage and has no official position on ENDA) or Heller (specifically backed ENDA). That's enough room for one of those GOP Senators to have second thoughts to cover their ass -- I'd guess Kirk for the no if there is one from that group.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2...rimination_act_probably_has_60_votes_now.html

It's still dead in the House of course. But maybe we can just roll it into the budget committee talks. Who'd notice?

Weigel thinks it might pass the Senate -- 55 Democrats, Collins and Kirk (cosponsors), Murkowski and Hatch (voted for it in committee) and either Portman (pro-gay marriage and has no official position on ENDA) or Heller (specifically backed ENDA). That's enough room for one of those GOP Senators to have second thoughts to cover their ass -- I'd guess Kirk for the no if there is one from that group.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2...rimination_act_probably_has_60_votes_now.html

It's still dead in the House of course. But maybe we can just roll it into the budget committee talks. Who'd notice?

He was referring to the call for a jobs bill.

pigeon

Banned
Also, in case you were wondering what the herald of the glorious revolution looks like:

ft said:
Investors will this week be offered the chance to buy a novel security backed by thousands of foreclosed homes across the US purchased by the private equity giant Blackstone and converted into rental properties.

The sale will be closely watched by bankers, hedge funds and private equity firms, with a belief that strong demand for the bonds could give birth to a new asset class and provide a fresh source of capital to finance their purchases of foreclosed houses in the US....

People familiar with the deal said bankers at Deutsche, Credit Suisse and JPMorgan Chase were guiding potential investors to pay “low to mid 100 basis points” over swaps for their chance to snap up the most senior slice of the deal.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/d5fd.../feed//product&siteedition=intl#axzz2jVoAkKJA

Freewall.

pigeon

Banned
Could you explain this in lamens terms?

Basically, a big part of the Great Recession was caused by investment banks selling derivatives backed by mortgages, and then selling derivatives backed by those derivatives, and then selling derivatives backed by THOSE derivatives, etc., etc. In order to do this they needed a big pile of mortgages to start off with, so by the power of the free market, suddenly a bunch of banks (often the same banks selling the derivatives) started pushing mortgages aggressively on low-income Americans who really couldn't afford to buy a house. In order to get those mortgages sold they slapped a bunch of language on them that made them appear cheap to the buyer until they suddenly became prohibitive. As a result, when the Recession hit, all those low-income Americans got kicked out of their houses, and all those banks ended up owning a lot of property they didn't pay very much for.

So naturally a bunch of large private equity firms are buying up those houses to rent out at higher rates, and they're issuing bonds backed by those houses in order to buy more houses, which they will issue bonds against in order to buy more houses, etc., etc.

And, of course, this ties into the great inward migration of the Millenials, where middle-income Americans are moving back into the inner cities for walkability, and gentrification is pushing the poorer Americans who were stuck in those inner cities right out to the suburbs, where there are a bunch of run-down houses owned by private equity firms just sitting there waiting to be rented by the next sucker who has no better place to live. These new suburbs will combine all the low land values and lack of maintenance that the inner cities have always had due to racism with the isolation and lack of local business and food access that previously only the white flight suburbs suffered from. It's going to be a perfect storm of poverty.

Get ready for 2008 meltdown Part II, wherein we laugh at Dodd-Frank's uselessness.

Yeah, I doubt that. Stuff like that could definitely cause problems, but banks have been forced to hold a lot more cash now, so that have to make even stupider moves just to cause a meltdown near that level.

gkryhewy

Basically, a big part of the Great Recession was caused by investment banks selling derivatives backed by mortgages, and then selling derivatives backed by those derivatives, and then selling derivatives backed by THOSE derivatives, etc., etc. In order to do this they needed a big pile of mortgages to start off with, so by the power of the free market, suddenly a bunch of banks (often the same banks selling the derivatives) started pushing mortgages aggressively on low-income Americans who really couldn't afford to buy a house. In order to get those mortgages sold they slapped a bunch of language on them that made them appear cheap to the buyer until they suddenly became prohibitive. As a result, when the Recession hit, all those low-income Americans got kicked out of their houses, and all those banks ended up owning a lot of property they didn't pay very much for.

So naturally a bunch of large private equity firms are buying up those houses to rent out at higher rates, and they're issuing bonds backed by those houses in order to buy more houses, which they will issue bonds against in order to buy more houses, etc., etc.

And, of course, this ties into the great inward migration of the Millenials, where middle-income Americans are moving back into the inner cities for walkability, and gentrification is pushing the poorer Americans who were stuck in those inner cities right out to the suburbs, where there are a bunch of run-down houses owned by private equity firms just sitting there waiting to be rented by the next sucker who has no better place to live. These new suburbs will combine all the low land values and lack of maintenance that the inner cities have always had due to racism with the isolation and lack of local business and food access that previously only the white flight suburbs suffered from. It's going to be a perfect storm of poverty.

Interesting take, but you are really oversimplifying and conflating a bunch of stuff here.

Aylinato

I wish we had more job-related bills, like the reinvestment act, only on steroids such as the New Deal. Kinda disappointed we haven't gotten anything from either party regarding it. Tea parties are too focus on...objecting to anything a black man says while dems can't get the moderate republicans out of the hostage room because they are having Stockholm syndrome.

Sigh.

Diablos

lol, remember how annoying Terry McAuliffe was during the 2008 primary? Good lawd I wanted to reach through whatever screen I was watching him on and smack him in the mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom