• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLEABttn

Banned
Off the top of my head, I think the trend to ignore or postpone marriage is a good example. Marriage provides stability both economically (shared expenses, tax benefits) and socially (being committed that you and another person will help each other and be there for each other). Young people think they're stickin' it to the man by saying they "don't believe" in marriage (is that like not believing in global warming?) or claiming marriage is outdated, but it's really just hurting them.

Tax benefits aside, that's achievable without being married. I have that without being technically married.

Piecake

Off the top of my head, I think the trend to ignore or postpone marriage is a good example. Marriage provides stability both economically (shared expenses, tax benefits) and socially (being committed that you and another person will help each other and be there for each other). Young people think they're stickin' it to the man by saying they "don't believe" in marriage (is that like not believing in global warming?) or claiming marriage is outdated, but it's really just hurting them.

Internationalism is another one. I believe that younger people tend to be less patriotic. But when push comes to shove, we've got to look out for ourselves first-just as I'd expect people in France or China or Brazil to do. International competition is going to have its most harmful effects on people who already on low rungs of the socioeconomic ladder--people in low-paying jobs, people starting out in their careers--and that's Millennials.

I don't think anyone chooses not to get married because they want to stick it to the man. As for postponing it, its simply economics. You get married and then start a family. Problem is, is that young people can't afford to have families early because of the shit economy.

As for being put off by marriage, I think thats a consequence of seeing half of their parents get divorced and then get reamed in the butt economically by douchebag lawyers and vidnidctive spouses. Totally not worth it if your marriage ends up like that.

Sure, the tax benefits are alright if the marriage lasts, but they arent anything special, and you can share expenses by simply moving in with your GF.

Hell, in my case, if I get married I'd still file seperately due to loans, income based repayment plan and public servant loan forgiveness.

I really don't think there is any correlation between cosmopolitanism and free-trade advocacy either

Milabrega

Crazy how much the election coverage on the nightly news was all about Christie in 2016, like everything about the race today or the next three years doesn't matter.

Piecake

Not sure if I'd say that's the biggest flaw, but, yeah, definitely not true.

You can still get married even before you have children, you know.

There's never been any requirement that people be economically well-off before they got married. That assumption is invented out of whole cloth. People in generations past got married at even earlier ages. It's not because they were wealthier--in fact, they had far less than we have today. It's because they understood that marriage improves people's economic standing; it's a way to get ahead rather than something you do after you're ahead. This is exactly the kind of attitude I'm concerned about. People have invented these spurious notions about marriage or family or religions is like and then reject them on that basis, but they're really turning away from exactly the institutions that are supposed to help them.

Its pretty silly to ignore all of the other points I made. And you can live with your girlfriend without getting married.

Paying for the marriage ceremony is a real cost, the possibility of divorce is a SERIOUS cost. The only benefit of marriage is you'll save on taxes, and that might not necessarily be true if you are paying your loans off by the income based repayment plan.

Divorce will fuck you over a lot more than marriage will help you.

http://assets.motherjones.com/politics/2011/inequality-p25_averagehouseholdincom.png

And previous generations have not had a whole hell of a lot less than this one. Incomes has stagnated in the last 30 years while medical costs and student loans have exploded.

Jimothy

Internationalism is another one. I believe that younger people tend to be less patriotic. But when push comes to shove, we've got to look out for ourselves first-just as I'd expect people in France or China or Brazil to do. International competition is going to have its most harmful effects on people who already on low rungs of the socioeconomic ladder--people in low-paying jobs, people starting out in their careers--and that's Millennials.
When push comes to shove? What exactly are you implying here, that we need to engage in more overseas sabre rattling? Because that's kind of what I'm getting from this post, and your other posts in this thread. Your tone is pretty jingoistic.

Piecake

Depends on what kind of marriage ceremony you have. Again, marriage certainly doesn't obligate anyone to hold any particular kind of ceremony.

Sounds like the solution here is not to get divorced!

Yea, because that's realistic. Every married couple thinks their marriage is going to last forever. Too bad only half do. The cost-benefit to marriage just doesnt seem worth it to most people anymore.

As for the ceremony, you're getting married to another person. If I get married I would love to have it at the court house, but who the fuck knows if thats going to happen since my future wife might be insistent on a ceremony. Now, I could probably insist on a small one (that small one will still cost like 10k), but I doubt id be able to convince that person to have no ceremony.

I'm not understanding. I was able to be under my parent's insurance plan for a few extra years and all the later years will be subsidized thanks to ACA.

I guess these "problems" will continue because Republicans won't stop being "Jesus Freaks." It's like they're blaming young people (voting more and more liberal) for something that Republicans should but won't keep under control (tea party nut jobs ruining their image).

The author might as well go all the way and blame young people for being too socially accepting of LGBTs that's "ruining" marriage.

When push comes to shove? What exactly are you implying here, that we need to engage in more overseas sabre rattling? Because that's kind of what I'm getting from this post, and your other posts in this thread. Your tone is pretty jingoistic.

Basically, if we don't become more patriotic, all the jobs will get shipped over to other countries and we'll be too busy eating our French bread and Belgian beer to care.

Matt Drudge said:
McAuliffe, De Blasio and Christie: Triple feature in a Republican's nightmare. Hug a conservative today.
;(

Amazing how little conservatives are willing to cut Christie some slack. He's the governor of New fucking Jersey for Crist's sake.

BTW both Herring and Northam (the Dem candidates for AG and LG respectively) are outperforming McAuliffe at the moment. Dem sweep baby.

Not sure if I'd say that's the biggest flaw, but, yeah, definitely not true.

You can still get married even before you have children, you know.

There's never been any requirement that people be economically well-off before they got married. That assumption is invented out of whole cloth. People in generations past got married at even earlier ages. It's not because they were wealthier--in fact, they had far less than we have today. It's because they understood that marriage improves people's economic standing; it's a way to get ahead rather than something you do after you're ahead. This is exactly the kind of attitude I'm concerned about. People have invented these spurious notions about marriage or family or religions is like and then reject them on that basis, but they're really turning away from exactly the institutions that are supposed to help them.

Oi, where did you get that idea? Marriage does absolutely nothing to improve economic standing. If anything it's an INCREDIBLE risk.

You can be just as happy living together without the risk of losing your shirt re: divorce and spousal support.

Republicans are really screwed if they don't go Christie or Bush, people who don't have any social issue baggage.
Oi, where did you get that idea? Marriage does absolutely nothing to improve economic standing. If anything it's an INCREDIBLE risk.

You can be just as happy living together without the risk of losing your shirt re: divorce and spousal support.
Family units help and this is conflated with marriage . Provides support, I don't know how it plays out marriage vs cohabitation

Drakeon

Republicans are really screwed if they don't go Christie or Bush, people who don't have any social issue baggage.

Part of me really wants them to run Cruz, but the other part of me is terrified at the idea that Cruz has any shot whatsoever at the Presidency.

Family units help and this is conflated with marriage . Provides support, I don't know how it plays out marriage vs cohabitation

That's the thing. Marriage is not a requirement for a family unit, and marriage will not turn a dysfunctional "living together" or cohabitation situation into a stable relationship.

A stable marriage would almost certainly be a stable cohabitation- I've been in both (am married currently) and there is literally zero difference.

;(

Amazing how little conservatives are willing to cut Christie some slack. He's the governor of New fucking Jersey for Crist's sake.

BTW both Herring and Northam (the Dem candidates for AG and LG respectively) are outperforming McAuliffe at the moment. Dem sweep baby.

Isn't Drudge on the Christie hype train?

Bush is a Bush

Christie has thin skin

Enough baggage to go around!
They have flaws but they can overcome them. I don't see anybody else doing that especially with demographics

The thing is I think hillary can easily win over come those two with her built in women and minority bases but if she doesn't win I don't think dems have anybody that can rally those groups while blunting Christie advantage with whites and a good shot at Hispanics.

I'd go into diablos mode if hillary doesn't win and Christie is the nominee. That being said the dems probably would keep the Senate and maybe pick up the house in 2016 and we see a return to 90s style politics.

Cloudy

Banned
I think these polls are wrong and Cuccinelli wins VA. I just don't see how a dem wins there in a non-presidential election with Obama at 40% approval

I think these polls are wrong and Cuccinelli wins VA. I just don't see how a dem wins there in a non-presidential election with Obama at 40% approval
open your eyes and see the light my child

The Dems' lt gov candidate is now winning according to HuffPo. If Cooch somehow actually did win, the Senate would be Democratic in this instance.

When did I say it wasnt? I just don't think plagiarizing something in a speech or Op-Ed hurts his credibility.

Are you aware of the definition of credibility?

And it would be halfway alright if he admitted it, but instead he's like "I WON'T LET THE LIBRUL MEDIA ATTACK MY CHARACTER. HATERS GONNA HATE". c'mon. Fucking 12 year olds act like that shit when their 7 grade teacher catches them copying from Wikipedia.

I have but VA should be a cakewalk for any Republican with a pulse in this environment...especially vs. a carpetbagger like McAuliffe

a pulse. maybe. a brain? those seem to be in short supply lately, and supporting the government shutdown that just blew up in republican's faces didn't do him any favors.

Bill de Blasio projected to win New York mayor race
Terry McAuliffe projected to win Virgnia
Illinois bound to legalize gay marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom