• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't see him getting 2008/2012 Obama numbers (57% and 58% respectively) but it'll probably be closer to what Kerry got in 04 (53% i think?)

Dude's got anger issues and I can see him getting real flustered in debates. Plus no one likes NJ anyway so lol at someone from NJ being electable.

He won't get flustered unless someone tries trolling him, but I can see him biting someone's head off at a campaign rally on camera.

No.

It's incredible to think that Cucinelli came within spitting distance from Terry after his party forced sequester and orchestrated the government shutdown, which affected VA way more disproportionately than any other state due to the massive presence of government contractors and agencies in the state. Despite that, their party's most EXTREME candidate almost won. There is something very off putting about it. Terry should have swept.

I guess it speaks more about Terry being an awful, charm-challenged carpetbagger.

I think, the bad ACA rollout affected enthusiasm in both voters in different ways. I see it definitely helping drive up the GOP turnout in rural areas which is what happened, as they realized that a D-GOV means Medicaid expansion. Cucc closing was all on opposing Obamacare.

But the overall results in VA are still a good for Dem future. NoVA is a blowout for Dems, no minority inroads for GOP.

No.

It's incredible to think that Cucinelli came within spitting distance from Terry after his party forced sequester and orchestrated the government shutdown, which affected VA way more disproportionately than any other state due to the massive presence of government contractors and agencies in the state. Despite that, their party's most EXTREME candidate almost won. There is something very off putting about it. Terry should have swept.

I guess it speaks more about Terry being an awful, charm-challenged carpetbagger.

All of that doesn't mean shit now though, a win is a win

Tobor

Who here in VA was excited about voting for McAuliffe? No one I know.

This race was those voting for Cucinelli vs those voting against Cucinelli.

the funny thing is, that ballot measure seems to have won 2/3 of the vote...which is a similar ratio with which the guy who opposes raising the minimum wage is winning over the lady that introduced that ballot measure.

it's unfortunate that buono was left to dry by the dems. she's a strong candidate and pretty good on progressive issues.

NJ is weird like that. Progressive on most issues but hey lets elect the guy who's the antithesis of what most New Jersians stand for just because.

It astounds me that my state does this.

He won't get flustered unless someone tries trolling him, but I can see him biting someone's head off at a campaign rally on camera.

I'm just projecting my hopes and dreams. But you're right. I just want to see him get mad and start dropping F-bombs on live TV.

Osorio

the funny thing is, that ballot measure seems to have won 2/3 of the vote...which is a similar ratio with which the guy who opposes raising the minimum wage is winning over the lady that introduced that ballot measure.

it's unfortunate that buono was left out to dry by the dems. she's a strong candidate and pretty good on progressive issues.

They did leave her to dry.

I'm in the biggest Dem stronghold in the state (Hudson County) and most people I know had no clue who Christie was running against.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
NJ is weird like that. Progressive on most issues but hey lets elect the guy who's the antithesis of what most New Jersians stand for just because.

I'm just projecting my hopes and dreams. But you're right. I just want to see him get mad and start dropping F-bombs on live TV.

Oh that he'd do, he'd totally do that. It's just a matter of someone trolling the fuck out of him during a debate.

Renji_11

Wow the gender gap was only 8 points 50 to 42 that looks to be the reason this race was so close in VA. I wonder if the healthcare debacle turned some voters off.

Osorio

Progressive on social issues, really wealthy state.

Didn't Christie win his first term because of his promise to lower property taxes?

Dems had a hedge fund guy opposite him in a wave election for Repubs. Expected result.

Yeah. I haven't been following NJ politics as much as I probably should have so I guess I remain a little ignorant as to the going ons here, sadly.

Oh that he'd do, he'd totally do that. It's just a matter of someone trolling the fuck out of him during a debate.

Rand Paul Vs Ted Cruz Vs Chris Christie: Showdown of the ages.

Progressive on social issues, really wealthy state.

Didn't Christie win his first term because of his promise to lower property taxes?

I think that was part of it but the big factor was Jon Corzine was our governor before hand so..

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wow the gender gap was only 8 points 50 to 42 that looks to be the reason this race was so close in VA. I wonder if the healthcare debacle turned some voters off.

No doubt it did. CNN was showing the breakdown of Obamacare support in the state and it's a majority against. Had it launched without issue, or after the election, the race may not have been as close.

Konka

Banned
Oh by the way, the Democratic candidate Bill Peduto won the Pittsburgh mayoral race with 84% of the vote...It's only been over 100 year since the last non democrat mayor.

bonercop

They did leave her to dry.

I'm in the biggest Dem stronghold in the state (Hudson County) and most people I know had no clue who Christie was running against.

Yeah. That's pretty much what the polls show. Most voters didn't even know who she was. Dems didn't spend any money on this race, she did not get any endorsements from big figures like Clinton or even the president -- in fact, the president has only ever spoken of Christie in positive terms, praising his *~bipartisanship~* which strongly helps his "moderate" image. fuck, even NJ dems were endorsing christie.

The extent to which dems have helped the biggest threat to them in 2016 is baffling. Obama sure likes to reward loyalty, lol.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah. That's pretty much what the polls show. Most voters didn't even know who she was. Dems didn't spend any money on this race, she did not get any endorsements from big figures like Clinton or even the president -- in fact, the president has only ever spoken of Christie in positive terms, praising his *~bipartisanship~* which strongly helps his "moderate" image. fuck, even NJ dems were endorsing christie.

The extent to which dems have helped the biggest threat to them in 2016 is baffling. Obama sure likes to reward loyalty, lol.

If he's the biggest threat then they have no problems.

Cloudy

Banned
No doubt it did. CNN was showing the breakdown of Obamacare support in the state and it's a majority against. Had it launched without issue, or after the election, the race may not have been as close.

McAuliffe didn't get a big bump in the polls till the shutdown. The Obamacare fiasco just negated that bump

thcsquad

Seems like the night is a weak win for Dems: Picking up some mayors and VA-Gov, but by a smaller margin than expected.

Smaller margin, but who cares? A real progressive got elected to the NYC mayor's office and one more swing state gets medicaid expansion and squashed voter suppression. 2016 just got a little bit easier.

Osorio

I have a very hard time seeing anyone from NJ winning the GOP primary.

Cloudy

Banned

Here's the deal. Christie had such high approval ratings that no one wanted to challenge him. Obama and other Dem headliners are not going to campaign for a candidate who has zero chance in the first place. It'd just hurt them politically..

Here's the deal. Christie had such a huge lead that no one wanted to challenge him. Obama and other Dem headliners are not going to campaign for a candidate who has zero chance in the first place..

Exactly, it didn't matter who they had endorse or campaign for Buono, when she had close to zero name recognition and was running against a popular governor, any time and money spent there was a waste.

Ecotic

If the Obamacare rollout hurt Mcauliffe at least Democrats have a year's warning to get it right; get it popular enough to not be a liability.

Karakand

Internationalism is another one. I believe that younger people tend to be less patriotic. But when push comes to shove, we've got to look out for ourselves first-just as I'd expect people in France or China or Brazil to do. International competition is going to have its most harmful effects on people who already on low rungs of the socioeconomic ladder--people in low-paying jobs, people starting out in their careers--and that's Millennials.

"Internationalism works out pretty well for the people who dick over Millennials, but don't you do likewise."

I have one thing to say to the Cooch . . . "You get nothing! You LOSE. Good day, sir."

ken_cuccinelli.jpg

What percentage of the White vote did Obama win in VA?

32%

Also, interesting in terms of polling done:

@DKElections 46m
Polling avg for VA AG (0) and LG (D+12) were both close to the mark... only #VAGov was way off.

So did pollsters flub, or did people switch from independent to R again? If the polling methodology was bad, the polls for LG and AG should have also been off like for GOV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom