• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Guys I'm getting pretty scared at the VA gov race. The Cooch has been slightly ahead so far all night.

Looks like the VA polls were pretty damn off. Dare I say, Cooch could have won if his party didn't throw him under the bus.

More turnout in rural areas helped Cooch. McAuliffe actually outperforming Obama in NoVA which, basically if that continues, GOP can't win a Presidential election in VA.

The big takeaway from today's election results is that Christie's GOP's main hope tow in 2016.

nate silver got vindicated. PPP done fucked up.

Why just blame PPP though?

Also, McAuliffe is Clinton camp, so he probably got over confident and went easy on turning voters out too at the end. Also, bringing Obama in might have been a mistake.

Cloudy

Banned
GOP now saying the difference btw. the final results from the polls means Cuccinelli "closed hard" with Obamacare opposition lol

teiresias

Looks like the VA polls were pretty damn off. Dare I say, Cooch could have won if his party didn't throw him under the bus.

Wasn't Obama behind Romney with 90-something reporting? Virginia always tends this way on election night due to what gets counted first.

I never trusted those polls showing double digit leads though. It's quite obvious that Virginia Dems are completely unreliable for turnout on non-presidential years. Maybe more so than other places.

Renji_11

Don't think they were off people just didn't show up to the polls like they projected. I am in Nova and the local news (which is DC lol) is saying a lot of precincts are lower than expected specially in Prince William and parts of Fairfax. Looks like Dems aren't going to get the AG spot, Herring still down 2 points he's worst than Cooch oh well.

Konka

Banned
It's awesome looking at the map in Virginia with all the incorporated cities in the middle of counties going blue.

pennsylvania-2008.jpg

It's just like PA, those red rural unpopulated counties may be numerous but there aren't many people there...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
If they had run a moderate they could have won. But they don't really control their party or their base anymore. All they can do is influence. Like driving a car from the back seat with a couple of trash picker uppers.

gcubed

so it seems like a lot of people are going hard in on CBS for the 60 Minutes Benghazi thing. At least i'm seeing it in some random places calling them out on it, not just the normal places. Have they said anything since they aired it? Shit, even Fox News passed on the guy because he wanted money and was selling a book.

Oblivion

The margin might end up being closer but that would reflect poorly on all pollsters - the pollster average was TM + 7.

Yea but it was close as shit. 17k difference, razor thin margin there

Thank Allah. Way too fucking close for comfort though.

With a Dem gov in Virginia, guess that means Republicans won't be carrying that state during the pres. elections since there won't be any voter ID laws being passed now.

Oblivion

If they had run a moderate they could have won. But they don't really control their party or their base anymore. All they can do is influence. Like driving a car from the back seat with a couple of trash picker uppers.

El Rushbo said:
[Ken Cuccinelli] is a Reagan conservative. He's a genuine conservative. He really is. There's no RINO about him, is my point, and I think the Republican establishment wouldn't mind him losing because if Cuccinelli loses, what do they get to do?
They get to blame the Tea Party, they get to blame conservatives, and they get to say, "See? Conservatives just can't win! You people are killing the Republican Party, you Tea Party types and you people insisting on conservatism. Conservatives are just too small a minority. There's no way you can win. You're losing elections for us." I think that's what they want to say. [...] I think there's very little doubt that the Republican Party's not happy with its base, Tea Party and conservatives. I don't know this, but a lot of people have this theory, and I think it's got a lot of credence.

thcsquad

Wasn't Obama behind Romney with 90-something reporting? Virginia always tends this way on election night due to what gets counted first.

Most states are like this. It's very simple: urban precincts/counties have so many more votes than the others, so they take longer to count.

The only reason Cuccinelli ever looked like he was in the lead was because Fairfax County was mostly uncounted. Fairfax County is so big that even though only 4.2% of the precincts remain to be counted, that amount will still swing the vote even further in McAuliffe's favor. That 4.2% represents more voters than some downstate Cuccinelli counties.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Thank Allah. Way too fucking close for comfort though.

With a Dem gov in Virginia, guess that means Republicans won't be carrying that state during the pres. elections since there won't be any voter ID laws being passed now.

Yea. Unless the state senate can break a veto.

The margins in the NJ Governor's race and MYC mayoral race are hilariously lopsided so far.

Christie still won't play outside of Jersey though. Even with his huge margin his state still prefers Hillary. That says something he should be paying attention to.

But, the whole thing is, Dems won VA Gov without winning independents or some major Republican support.

3% Dems and 4% Repubs voted for the independent, so that was evenly cut. As long as Dems are not against a wave election like VA was last time, they have a shot in statewide races too now.

Thank god McAulliffe won. I was so upset I didn't get to vote today so I'm glad that McAulliffe pulled it off. Really excited now for the future of Virginia. Medicaid expansion would be nice. And I know it's it's a long shit, but gay marriage would be awesome, too.

Yea. Unless the state senate can break a veto.

The margins in the NJ Governor's race and MYC mayoral race are hilariously lopsided so far.

Christie still won't play outside of Jersey though. Even with his huge margin his state still prefers Hillary. That says something he should be paying attention to.
State Senate is 20-20, and the Lt Gov tiebreaks. Who's now a Democrat.

I don't see him getting 2008/2012 Obama numbers (57% and 58% respectively) but it'll probably be closer to what Kerry got in 04 (53% i think?)

Dude's got anger issues and I can see him getting real flustered in debates. Plus no one likes NJ anyway so lol at someone from NJ being electable.

Oh well, a win is a win.
No.

It's incredible to think that Cucinelli came within spitting distance from Terry after his party forced sequester and orchestrated the government shutdown, which affected VA way more disproportionately than any other state due to the massive presence of government contractors and agencies in the state. Despite that, their party's most EXTREME candidate almost won. There is something very off putting about it. Terry should have swept.

I guess it speaks more about Terry being an awful, charm-challenged carpetbagger.

bonercop

Minimum Wage hike + tying to inflation in NJ seems to have passed. Woo.

the funny thing is, that ballot measure seems to have won 2/3rd of the vote...which is a similar ratio with which the guy who opposes raising the minimum wage is winning over the lady that introduced that ballot measure.

it's unfortunate that buono was left out to dry by the dems. she's a strong candidate and pretty good on progressive issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom