• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT2| We need to be more like Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudy

Banned
I don't really get Rand Paul's strategy. He cannot win a GOP primary by moderating his views and not going along with GOP orthodoxy on things like Police Brutality and Cuba

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't really get Rand Paul's strategy. He cannot win a GOP primary by moderating his views and not going along with GOP orthodoxy on things like Police Brutality and Cuba

This is just lip service to get him in with moderates and make the media think he's serious, he'll swing way back right when the time comes. He's looking for the same sort of press Paul Ryan got.

kehs

Banned
Four Afghan detainees were transferred from the prison at Guantanamo Bay to Afghanistan, the U.S. Department of Defense said Saturday, the first transfer of prisoners to the Middle Eastern country since 2009.

The prisoners released were Shawali Khan, Khi Ali Gul, Abdul Ghani and Mohammed Zahir, according to the Pentagon. The Guantanamo Review Task Force reviewed the case and unanimously approved the transfer of the detainees, and Congress was notified of the move. “These guys, at worst, could be described as low level but that’s even a stretch,” a senior administration official told NBC News. The detainees left Guantanamo Friday morning and landed in Afghanistan later in the day, according to the official.
…
The U.S. has also accelerated the pace with which it has transferred Gitmo prisoners. Six prisoners were sent to Uruguay earlier this month. And late last month, five more detainees were released, according to the Defense Department.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/four-guantanamo-bay-detainees-transferred-afghanistan?CID=sm_gplus

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
And you all said that trickle-down economics doesn't work!

The new Kansas jobs numbers were released Friday morning, bringing horrible news to state taxpayers and Gov. Sam Brownback.

The federal Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that the total number of nonfarm jobs in Kansas fell by 4,100 in November.

Kansas’ disturbing experience was at odds with how much of the rest of the country did. A total of 37 other states gained in employment in November, while only 13 others, including Kansas, dropped.

Missouri boosted employment by 4,500 in November, for instance, while Oklahoma gained 3,400 jobs. Two other neighbors, Nebraska and Colorado, were among the job losers, though not close to the number shredded in Kansas.

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/o.../article4668108.html#/tabPane=tabs-a7245120-1

Averon

If there's one good think about the Kansas debacle, it is that the GOP will have to own everything.

There's no Democratic governor or Democratic controlled legislature for the GOP to scapegoat this time.

He'll have a larger base of support than many establishment candidates. I like what he's doing. He won't win the nomination but people underestimate how far ahead he is of his opponents in terms of online infrastructure and grassroots support.

dabig2

If there's one good think about the Kansas debacle, it is that the GOP will have to own everything.

There's no Democratic governor or Democratic controlled legislature for the GOP to scapegoat this time.

There's still an Obama. His executive reach extends far. And for some reason seems focused on making life hell for Kansas and few other states!

Chichikov

The GOP loves to win, I think his play is to become the most electable and get establishment behind him.
Either way, I'm always a firm believer in praising politicians when they take positions I agree with, even when I dislike them, so good on him.

Cloudy

Banned
Awful news out of NY with the cop killings. The local police trying to blame this on DeBlasio is why Obama was so measured with his comments on Ferguson et al. Any criticism and you're suddenly anti-law enforcement.

Pretty disgusting for them to be blaming him for murders because he dared admit cops aren't perfect all the time

Cloudy

Banned
He'll have a larger base of support than many establishment candidates. I like what he's doing. He won't win the nomination but people underestimate how far ahead he is of his opponents in terms of online infrastructure and grassroots support.

I don't like it because it's obvious pandering. I don't know about Cuba but he has had pretty much the opposite stance (till recently) on all these issues that liberals are praising him for now.

His domestic and monetary policy would be brutal and we've seen that the media and military machine will eventually roll even the most anti-war president. I don't want Dems to fall for his deception!

Awful news out of NY with the cop killings. The local police trying to blame this on DeBlasio is why Obama was so measured with his comments on Ferguson et al. Any criticism and you're suddenly anti-law enforcement.

Pretty disgusting for them to be blaming him for murders because he dared admit cops aren't perfect all the time

What did he say, exactly? I'm trying to track down the wording, but coming up blank.

Cloudy

Banned
What did he say, exactly? I'm trying to track down the wording, but coming up blank.

"Chirlane and I have had to talk to Dante for years, about the dangers he may face,” de Blasio said. “A good young man, a law-abiding young man, who would never think to do anything wrong, and yet, because of a history that still hangs over us, the dangers he may face – we’ve had to literally train him, as families have all over this city for decades, in how to take special care in any encounter he has with the police officers who are there to protect him.”

The shooter also shot his gf so is DeBlasio at fault for that too?

The shooter also shot his gf so is DeBlasio at fault for that too?

Didn't say he was at fault for anything, was merely curious.

And yeah, that's not so bad. In the main thread on the shooting, somebody (somebody defending him, mind you) said that DeBlasio said something to the effect of "you have to be careful, because most cops are racist," which... wouldn't have been good :p

But yeah, that's reasonable.

Cloudy

Banned
Didn't say he was, was merely curious.

That wasn't directed at you. I'm just annoyed with these police unions that think they are above the law and ANY criticism. There's even video of cops turning their backs on DeBlasio at the hospital as if he caused those guys to get shot.

They are basically using the murder of their peers to attack the mayor politically. It's disgusting IMO.

That wasn't directed at you. I'm just annoyed with these police unions that think they are above the law and ANY criticism. There's even video of cops turning their backs on DeBlasio at the hospital as if he caused those guys to get shot.

They are basically using the murder of their peers to attack the mayor politically. It's disgusting IMO.

Tensions are high right now. I don't think they're being quite as calculating as you're making them out to be. From their perspective, they're under siege right now, and when the mayor doesn't put his full support behind them, they feel betrayed.

Are they right to feel that way? No. But I can understand where they're coming from, and it's not political.

HyperionX

This country desperately needs real gun control, and both police officers and ordinary people need to disarm. It's too bad so many dumbasses suddenly think they can shoot police officers, making the problem worse.

Cloudy

Banned
Tensions are high right now. I don't think they're being quite as calculating as you're making them out to be. From their perspective, they're under siege right now, and when the mayor doesn't put his full support behind them, they feel betrayed.

Are they right to feel that way? No. But I can understand where they're coming from, and it's not political.

Why do cops feel under siege when they are keep getting cleared after killing unarmed folks?

Oh, and it's definitely political. There is a contract dispute going on with the city and some of the police unions.

Why do cops feel under siege when they are keep getting cleared after killing unarmed folks?

Oh, and it's definitely political. There is a contract dispute going on with the city and some of the police unions.

Because (and again, these views do not reflect my own), the way they see it, they're just doing what they have to do to get the job done. From that perspective, the pressure and scrutiny they're must feel unfair.

And while there may be a political upside to blaming the mayor, I don't think that's why they're doing it.

Averon

Because (and again, these views do not reflect my own), the way they see it, they're just doing what they have to do to get the job done. From that perspective, the pressure and scrutiny they're must feel unfair.

Tough shit

They SHOULD be held at a much higher standard, given the level of power they wield over the citizenry. When it is shown they repeatedly fail to meet that standard, they deserve all the scrutiny they get.

The fact that they continually get away with abuses of power makes all their belly aching all the more ridiculous.

This country desperately needs real gun control, and both police officers and ordinary people need to disarm. It's too bad so many dumbasses suddenly think they can shoot police officers, making the problem worse.

I've been saying this for years...at least the past 15. Anyone can take you out at any second in this country with legalized firearms. Is that really how we want to live? Piss someone off...boom...you're dead...all because they feel you may have slighted them in some way. This nation is a joke.

Too many people in this country think just putting on a uniform makes you a hero.

It would be nice if people would just stop killing each other.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The Majority Report just reminded me of Obama's old proposals to executive memo the labor dept to tighten up the definition of "manager" so that more employees get classified for 1.5x overtime pay. I hope that's next on his list of suddenly getting shit done.

HyperionX

Too many people in this country think just putting on a uniform makes you a hero.

Stupidity cuts both ways.

People can't stop killing each other until we change culturally. We glorify killing people in movies, games, tv, radio, etc., and then we create gun "rights", as well as the insane gun culture that goes with it. We are constantly worried about someone trying to kill us and constantly think about how we might kill them first; things both police and ordinary citizens are guilty of. After creating this huge violence obsessed culture, we then proceed to be SHOCKED that someone might actually go ahead and, in fact, actually kill someone.

So I'd say, it would be nice if people stop thinking about killing people. Maybe then we'll actually stop doing it for real.

kehs

Banned

I had an old friend who was in the army, smart, kinda, logical, physically capable. He applied for the local sheriff department through a recommendation. Never got the job, eventually he found out that he was "too smart" to be on the department.

Necrovex

If gun control took priority in America's politics, we would see a decrease in shootings, including police shootings. I wish this country would actually do something about this epidemic when it comes to guns.

random off topic for sunday morning

Does anyone on poligaf have a xbox or psn sn? I'm looking to add more people to my friends list.

I have a psn account too but only a vita and ps3 for now.

Amir0x

Banned
gop-rape-mention-colbert-e1351196968121.jpg

Lawmaker Defends ‘Legitimate Rape’ Bill

Think how sick this really is. Even putting aside that it's fucked up in every sense, let's just go with his logic here.

Let's say that the law passed and in order to get an abortion you needed to "prove" you were raped. How does that work?

+ Do you need to show Doctors that you have shown signs of injury as a result of rape? Do you need a Doctor's note? How do you prove that injury was from rape and not an unusually rough night of sex? And not every rape results in physical injury (but all result in emotional injury).

+ Do you need to show the rapist was convicted of the crime? By the time a rapist went through the courts it'd be too late to get an abortion. How fucked is that?

What is WRONG with these people?

I don't like it because it's obvious pandering. I don't know about Cuba but he has had pretty much the opposite stance (till recently) on all these issues that liberals are praising him for now.

His domestic and monetary policy would be brutal and we've seen that the media and military machine will eventually roll even the most anti-war president. I don't want Dems to fall for his deception!

Not really, he's been rather consistent on civil liberty issues, drug laws, etc.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The right is going in HARD about the death of those two nypd officers. This is getting annoying.

Where are all those twitter libertarians that love calling out strawmans, now that they're actually needed for once.

HylianTom

Banned
The right is going in HARD about the death of those two nypd officers. This is getting annoying.

I'm really glad that I'm missing most family celebrations this Christmas, because we'd be throwing down on some of these topics. I have folks who would smile proudly while wearing "I can breathe" shirts..

random off topic for sunday morning

Does anyone on poligaf have a xbox or psn sn? I'm looking to add more people to my friends list.

I have a psn account too but only a vita and ps3 for now.
I have a PS3 but I can't remember off the top of my head what my psn is. I think it's Brynjamin Barker?

Averon

Paul and Rubio having a cat fight, everyone blaming Obama, Holder, and de Blasio for thr nypd killing.

*popcorn*

The implication that the minorities wouldn't be so anti-cop recently if Obama, Sharpton, and De Blasio would shut-up at police misconduct and the unfairness of the justice system is asinine.

Minorities don't need Obama, Sharpton, or DeBlasio to tell them they're getting a shit deal from the justice system and police on a daily basis. We lived that shit long before Obama, DeBlasio, or Shrapton were on the scene, and we'll experience it after they are gone.

ivysaur12

Banned
Here. We. Go.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/22/us/politics/gop-hopes-for-unity-may-be-upset-by-ben-carson.html?ref=politics&_r=0

INDIANAPOLIS — A conservative think tank recently sent Ben Carson, a potential presidential candidate and fierce critic of the federal health care overhaul, a series of messages to post on Twitter during the grilling in the House of Jonathan Gruber, the M.I.T. economist who advised the Obama administration.

Mr. Carson, a retired pediatric neurosurgeon, has set off a prairie fire of rank-and-file conservatives urging him to run for the Republican nomination. He liked the think tank’s idea, but he knows that he excites supporters because he is an unscripted outsider. So he wrote his own Twitter posts, including, “Why was it necessary to disrupt entire medical system to take care of the needs of 15% of the people?”

With former Gov. Jeb Bush of Florida moving closer to declaring his candidacy, and the Republican establishment determined not to repeat the mistakes of the lengthy nominating fight of 2012, the rise of Mr. Carson suggests the best-laid plans of the party for 2016 may not go as smoothly as desired.

Mr. Carson has built a profile on heavy exposure as a commentator on Fox News, an uplifting biography and, especially, intemperate criticism of the Age of Obama that might seem to disqualify a major-party candidate. An African-American, he has called the president’s health care law “the worst thing that has happened in this nation since slavery.”

He has said legalizing same-sex marriage would open the door to accepting pedophilia and bestiality — remarks that led to his withdrawal as commencement speaker at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine last year.

He has refused to withdraw repeated comparisons of the United States under the Obama administration to Nazi Germany.

His unfiltered remarks are embraced by parts of the Republican base in inverse proportion to the fits of outrage they inspire on the left. “To the base who are looking for someone completely different to shake things up, that probably makes them more of a fan,” said Craig Robinson, a former political director of the Iowa Republican Party.

An October poll of likely Republican caucusgoers in Iowa by The Des Moines Register and Bloomberg Politics put Mr. Carson in second place, with 11 percent, behind Mitt Romney.

A Fox News survey released last week of Republican voters nationally put Mr. Carson in the middle of a crowded field behind Mr. Romney and Mr. Bush.

One of the clearest indicators of his intention to run is that he has met recently with communications experts to tone down his remarks. In an interview, he blamed “the P.C. police” for frequently twisting his meaning. “When I mention bestiality or pedophilia in the same sentence with homosexuality, people say ‘Carson says they’re the same.’ Of course they’re not the same,” he said. “That point was if you change the definition of marriage for one group, you’ll have to change it for the next group and the next group.”

Joe Molotov

Our medical system was fine the way it was. I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops. Depending on the breaks.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
In an interview, he blamed “the P.C. police” for frequently twisting his meaning. “When I mention bestiality or pedophilia in the same sentence with homosexuality, people say ‘Carson says they’re the same.’ Of course they’re not the same,” he said. “That point was if you change the definition of marriage for one group, you’ll have to change it for the next group and the next group.”

This dude's awesome.

"Just cause I'm making a comparison between two things doesn't mean I'm actually comparing them!"

As I've said since this meathead has become famous, he's a less fun loving version of Herman Cain, but I will happily have him be one of the many nominees filling up the clown car.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
In an interview, he blamed “the P.C. police” for frequently twisting his meaning. “When I mention bestiality or pedophilia in the same sentence with homosexuality, people say ‘Carson says they’re the same.’ Of course they’re not the same,” he said. “That point was if you change the definition of marriage for one group, you’ll have to change it for the next group and the next group.”
Gah!

You know why changing the definition of marriage for one group doesn't lead to changing it for next group? Because the groups aren't the same! If you admit the groups aren't the same, how does that logic work?

It's not the PC persecuters jumping to conclusions, it the simple logic behind the argument.

I can't imagine this guy is politically smart enough to really get anywhere outside the fox news bubble. It'd be terrifying if he did end up getting anywhere, as he's the only conservative running that might actually be a true believer. I mean the type willing to actually make us default on our debt for his messed up economic beliefs.

It's hard to tell without him ever holding a government position where he has to actually govern and compromise and build a real voting record instead of just sit around and complain.

This dude's awesome.

"Just cause I'm making a comparison between two things doesn't mean I'm actually comparing them!"

As I've said since this meathead has become famous, he's a less fun loving version of Herman Cain, but I will happily have him be one of the many nominees filling up the clown car.

I just hope he saves his most controversial thoughts on rape for a prime time debate.

You know it's coming.

FLEABttn

Banned
I need more info on this Dish/Fox News fight, sounds entertaining

Eh, about as entertaining as the Turner fight they just had. Fox wants significantly higher rates for Fox News and Fox Business. Dish doesn't want to pay rates as high as Fox is asking for. Neither could come to an agreement before the old contract ended and Fox didn't want to extend the old one until the new one was agreed to.

Pretty standard for Dish, aside from new new streaming, Over-The-Top service wrinkle.

More than 1 million people used the U.S. healthcare.gov system to sign up for Obamacare plans in the seven days ending Dec. 12, the best week yet for enrollment in the program’s second year.

In total, 2.5 million Americans have signed up for health insurance plans since Nov. 15, when the online system opened for business, the government said today in a statement. The Obama administration’s goal for 2015 is to get 9.1 million paying customers in plans sold under the law.

Of people who have enrolled so far using healthcare.gov, 52 percent already had coverage under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, and 48 percent were new customers.

For millions of people who already have coverage and haven’t shopped for a new plan for next year, federal officials today began the process of automatically renewing their enrollment. About 6.7 million people were enrolled in plans sold through the federal system and by states as of Oct. 15.

“We want to make sure that our enrollees stay insured and maintain the peace of mind of having health insurance,” Kevin Counihan, the CEO of healthcare.gov, said in a conference call with reporters.

Enrollment in Affordable Care Act plans is proceeding much more smoothly for 2015 than it did last year, when the government had only about 2.2 million people signed up after three months as it struggled to fix software bugs at healthcare.gov.

Certainly Higher

The actual number of people in the U.S. who have enrolled in plans is certainly higher, since the government’s four-week count doesn’t include those who signed up using insurance exchanges in California, New York and 11 other states that handle enrollment themselves.

Charles Gaba, a blogger in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan who has accurately predicted enrollment under the Affordable Care Act, estimated in a post on his Website that about 4.7 million people nationwide had signed up for coverage by the end yesterday. That includes federal and state enrollments.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...t-week-yet-brings-1-million-new-sign-ups.html

can't wait for day 1 repeal attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom