• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT2| We need to be more like Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a coworker was telling me how crime (even violent crime) is at the highest point it has ever been. I pointed out to here the statistics show that crime, especially violent crime, is the lowest it has been in decades. She points out that that's not really true because the government redefined what it means to be "robbed", "raped", or what "attempted homicide" means.

Is any of this true?

Crime recently went up a bit but previous to that it had been at its lowest rates in decades.

There is to a degree. Take rape statistics for example:

I highly doubt Sweden is the rape capital in the world.

Sure, between countries there's issue of what's a crime. It's the reason why right wingers point to UK's violent crime rare when in fact, the problem is, pushing down somebody at 1 AM 'cause you're both drunk outside a pub is a "violent crime."

But, within the country, especially the US, most applications of the law have gotten more wide than narrow in the past 30 years.

HyperionX

As much as this stuff still makes my stomach turn. (I really think the second amendment is a horrible anachronism)

I've just about given up on this issue. There's nothing in it for liberals anymore if they aren't willing to discuss bans. Maybe in a generation or two but guns are here in the US even if its a disgusting part of our culture, we like the idea of killing others.

This is why I'm totally for banning guns and totally for repealing the second amendment. If liberals are only willing to do the most half-assed measures, then they won't get anything. At some point, you have to fully recognize the severity of the issue. Like when we ended slavery, you have to at some point realize society is completely screwed up and be willing to fight for complete abolition rather than some nonsensical compromise.

Fox is on it

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/02/13/biden-searches-for-his-old-butt-buddy-in-iowa/

Some reports have speculated that Biden, who overcame a stutter when he was young, simply stumbled over his words.

But "butt buddy" is an actual phrase that can be used as a term for two people who are just very close friends -- at least, according to Urban Dictionary.

Urban Dictionary lists several alternative definitions.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Republicans have no problem with taxes, as long as they only hurt the lowest income individuals. It's triple the punishment in red states: No medicaid expansion, no minimum wage increase, and an increase in commodity taxes that affect them the most.

You would think this would be a pretty easy thing for democrats to demagogue on.

"Republicans don't want to raise taxes on the rich to provide some relief to the poor and middle class. Yet they want to raise taxes on the poor and middle class to offer relief for the rich!"

Wilsongt

You would think this would be a pretty easy thing for democrats to demagogue on.

"Republicans don't want to raise taxes on the rich to provide some relief to the poor and middle class. Yet they want to raise taxes on the poor and middle class to offer relief for the rich!"

If only the democrats weren't so shit at messaging and allowing the Republicans to spin it as the poor getting constant handouts and the job creators getting a much needed break in order to create jobs.

The Guardian is reporting that Republicans will block Loretta Lynch's nomination due to her negotiations in a settlement with HSBC in 2012.

ivysaur12

Banned
On Twitter today, the Nate Cohn types were hypothesizing that PA is the "anti NC", and that there could be an inevitable drift rightward.

I guess, where? We've reached the point where working class whites support Democrats in record low numbers, yet Obama still carried PA handily. And while PA itself only has had a 0.7% growth this past 4 years, Philadelphia and its suburbs have a mini resurgence, supporting the majority of the growth in the state, while rural PA is flat/negative.

So. ???

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
FL doesn't have an income tax, does Texas?

Not only do we not, but enacting one would require amending the state constitution, if memory serves.

Though there is the "franchise tax," which is sort of an income tax imposed on sufficiently large business entities (I think the threshold is $1,080,000 in gross revenue, but it changes annually).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
On Twitter today, the Nate Cohn types were hypothesizing that PA is the "anti NC", and that there could be an inevitable drift rightward.

I guess, where? We've reached the point where working class whites support Democrats in record low numbers, yet Obama still carried PA handily. And while PA itself only has had a 0.7% growth this past 4 years, Philadelphia and its suburbs have a mini resurgence, supporting the majority of the growth in the state, while rural PA is flat/negative.

So. ???

Gotta write about something dude, gotta get those editors off their backs somehow.

So. ???

Pretty spot on. NY Times had an article today about how Philadelphia is becoming a much more viable option for young people priced out of NY and DC. It's becoming a much more diverse and active city.

ivysaur12

Banned
Not to mention that if you look at the projections (in terms of raw % instead of a county going from 5 people to 10 people oh look 100% growth), counties that Obama won in PA are going to drive almost all of the raw number growth in Pennsylvania. And urban PA is outpacing growth % wise of rural PA.

So, unless we get to the point where all rural counties are voting against Obama in ways that reflect Mississippi voting patterns, I just don't know where this supposed rightward shift will come.

(And, even if it is somehow "inevitable", do we really expect Hillary to do worse with working class white in PA than Obama did?)

...Hrnn. I hate to agree with Congressional Republicans, but that does seem like something worth looking into.

Agreed. Should have rammed her through in December. Repbulicans are going to lose on the DHS/immigration funding, which means they'll be looking for a scalp to show their constituents. It'll be Lynch...

Pretty spot on. NY Times had an article today about how Philadelphia is becoming a much more viable option for young people priced out of NY and DC. It's becoming a much more diverse and active city.

Yep. It's where I'm looking. You can actually get a studio apartment in the city for under 2k per month in a nice area. And the city is incredibly walkable. Like 20 new high rise buildings with a lot of residential are gonna be built between now and like 2020.

Not to mention that if you look at the projections (in terms of raw % instead of a county going from 5 people to 10 people oh look 100% growth), counties that Obama won in PA are going to drive almost all of the raw number growth in Pennsylvania. And urban PA is outpacing growth % wise of rural PA.

So, unless we get to the point where all rural counties are voting against Obama in ways that reflect Mississippi voting patterns, I just don't know where this supposed rightward shift will come.

(And, even if it is somehow "inevitable", do we really expect Hillary to do worse with working class white in PA than Obama did?)

I dont think thats that crazy

ivysaur12

Banned
I dont think thats that crazy

Legit question, but how? Hillary won the state in the primary by over 9 points. This is a lot of her constituency. That's not to say that working class white people haven't drifted more conservative -- they have. But I don't see how Hillary Clinton appeals to that voter base less than Obama, given where each had strengths in the 2008 primary.

Purple = Obama
Yellow = Hillary

Democratic_presidential_primary%2C_2008.svg

Even though West Virginia was a late primary, Hillary still beat Obama by 41.16%.

NeoXChaos

Yes. It is possible for Hillary to do worse among working class whites. She or any democratic nominee before her hasn't done anything over 43% since the Johnson 64 landslide.

Kerry was white and he only got 41% of the white vote.

ivysaur12

Banned
Yes. It is possible for Hillary to do worse among working class whites. She or any democratic nominee before her hasn't done anything over 43% since the Johnson 64 landslide.

Kerry was white and he only got 41% of the white vote.

Again -- in what world does Hillary Clinton do worse among white voters than Obama? Hillary won't win the working class white vote. She doesn't need to. She just needs to run ahead of Obama, which she's already done. Literally, she did that.

Also, Hillary hasn't run a campaign in which she has been the presidential candidate. How has she never done anything govern 43% of the working class white vote?

Legit question, but how? Hillary won the state in the primary by over 9 points. This is a lot of her constituency. That's not to say that working class white people haven't drifted more conservative -- they have. But I don't see how Hillary Clinton appeals to that voter base less than Obama, given where each had strengths in the 2008 primary.

Purple = Obama
Yellow = Hillary

Even though West Virginia was a late primary, Hillary still beat Obama by 41.16%.

Wait, Guam and Puerto Rico vote in the primaries?

Huh.

Yep. It's where I'm looking. You can actually get a studio apartment in the city for under 2k per month in a nice area. And the city is incredibly walkable. Like 20 new high rise buildings with a lot of residential are gonna be built between now and like 2020.

I'd look there but don't their alcohol laws suck, like you have to go to a government store or something. I just remember walgreens and wawa not selling beer.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'd look there but don't their alcohol laws suck, like you have to go to a government store or something. I just remember walgreens and wawa not selling beer.

Grocery stores don't sell beer or liquor. You have to go to a beer store to get beer and a liquor store to get liquor. Very silly.

yes, they're part of the party. (and I believe the democratic party is in favor of statehood if they decide)

they also have a vote in committee in congress, but it doesn't count if its the deciding vote. lol

Not since the Republicans took control of the House -- they used to be able to have limited voting rights in the "Committee of the Whole", but no longer.

Purple = Obama
Yellow = Hillary

This map is why North and South Dakota can never be just Dakota.

NeoXChaos

Again -- in what world does Hillary Clinton do worse among white voters than Obama? Hillary won't win the working class white vote. She doesn't need to. She just needs to run ahead of Obama, which she's already done. Literally, she did that.

Also, Hillary hasn't run a campaign in which she has been the presidential candidate. How has she never done anything govern 43% of the working class white vote?

where? in that primary? that was among democrats. I mispoke on that other point so you are right on that one.

Come on my fellow Hillary supporters/Democrats, dont get too excited. Hillary running ahead of obama makes the assumption that she will lose her husband's states by a substantially less margin than obama.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
That sounds horrible, how do you guys not revolt?

When you basically mandate beer stores to exist, you get a store with a ton of beer options on every block. More options than you get from a grocery store I expect.

That's literally why grocery store liquor deregulation fails in Colorado every time it comes up, though I can't personally say if grocery store liquor options are that limited.

I live in Jersey so Wawa is never a place I think about that sells beer even though I know they do. NJ is kinda similar except beer and liquor can be sold in the same place. It's not terrible just kinda annoying.

I was in a Shake Shack in the middle of the city that sold beer so it's not entirely draconian. Restaurant liquor licenses in NJ are the worst though.

When you basically mandate beer stores to exist, you get a store with a ton of beer options on every block. More options than you get from a grocery store I expect.

That's literally why grocery store liquor deregulation fails in Colorado every time it comes up, though I can't personally say if grocery store liquor options are that limited.

Yeah. Same thing in NJ. Dedicated beer stores are great and always have more of a selection than any grocery store that sold it that I've been in. One of the stores near me is the size of a medium sized grocery store and has 4 entire isles for craft and international beers alone. It's incredible.

benjipwns

Banned
New Jersey is also one of two states that don't allow you to pump your own gas. There's a hilarious video (it might be Oregon) I can't find of a committee hearing where someone is suggesting repeal of the law and the legislators look like the guy has told them he's got a bomb strapped to his chest.

You also create an incredibly powerful monopoly lobby. Washington shocked everyone because the state was defeated at the ballot despite spending millions against almost nothing.

Their "compromise" on selling wine in grocery stores was to have breathalyzers before you can buy it.

Tons of states still have a distribution monopoly and set prices though.

0404liquorcontrolstatespng.png

spirits_map_2013_small.png

Washington dear god.

Wyoming, Vermont and NH = patriots.

I live in Jersey so Wawa is never a place I think about that sells beer even though I know they do. NJ is kinda similar except beer and liquor can be sold in the same place. It's not terrible just kinda annoying.

I was in a Shake Shack in the middle of the city that sold beer so it's not entirely draconian. Restaurant liquor licenses in NJ are the worst though.

Yeah. Same thing in NJ. Dedicated beer stores are great and always have more of a selection than any grocery store that sold it that I've been in. One of the stores near me is the size of a medium sized grocery store and has 4 entire isles for craft and international beers alone. It's incredible.
I have family in Jersey and the Philly area. I do remember a lot of stories about liquor licenses being a hassle to get.

I just never forget walking into a walgreens like a year or two ago and wanting a bud and being told I needed to go to the state store or something. I thought this was america?

You also create an incredibly powerful monopoly lobby. Washington shocked everyone because the state was defeated at the ballot despite spending millions against almost nothing.

Their "compromise" on selling wine in grocery stores was to have breathalyzers before you can buy it.

Tons of states still have a distribution monopoly and set prices though.

0404liquorcontrolstatespng.png

spirits_map_2013_small.png

Washington dear god.

Wyoming, Vermont and NH = patriots.

Most of my life has been in FL and LA. Florida is pretty cool but you have to go to liquor stores for the hard stuff. LA they sold the moonshine at church and prisons it seemed they had drive thrus for heavens sake. God bless New Orleans.

Edit: I'm missing mardi gras for the second year :(

benjipwns

Banned
Florida bans liquor sales in grocery stores, so liquor stores are the only places to get it, but they aren't state stores.

Specifics about each state: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_the_United_States

A Walmart in Florida:
800px-Beer_at_Walmart_in_Kissimmee_FL.jpg

Some of Pennsylvania's totalitarian state laws:
Wine and spirits can only be sold at State-operated stores. All persons must be at least 21 years of age to enter a state-operated liquor store alone. Beer is not sold at state-operated liquor stores.
Beer can be purchased at beverage outlets (cases only), or restaurants (six-packs/restricted quantities) with Liquor Control Board–issued licenses, but not supermarkets. Non-alcoholic beer is an exception, and may be sold in supermarkets, but persons buying it still must be at least 21 years of age.

Sunday sales were prohibited in LCB stores until 2003 (selected locations) and beverage outlets (owner's option) until 2005.

There are currently seven state liquor stores located within supermarkets.

In 2010, a trial was initiated to test selling wine in grocery stores using vending machines. The buyer must present identification, look into a camera to allow an offsite PLCB employee to verify the identification, and blow into a breathalyzer to authorize the sale.[91] This practice was ended in September 2011.[92]

As of 2007, some convenience stores and grocery stores were trying to fight Pennsylvania's strict laws on the sale of alcohol.[93][94][95] Since 2009, beer sales have been approved in multiple Western Pennsylvania locations of the grocery chains Giant Eagle and Wegmans. Additionally, as of 2006, some gas stations have found a way to sell beer, such as Sheetz, by taking advantage of a loophole where they can classify themselves as restaurants, though this is rare throughout the state.[96][97][98][99]

Special permits may be purchased for certain organizations for fundraisers once per calendar year, and are valid for a total of six days under the same rules governing restaurants.[100] Grain alcohol prohibited as a beverage.

Utah's:
ABV > 4.0+% sold in state-controlled stores only. 3.2% ABW (4.0% ABV) beer may be sold at grocery stores and convenience stores. State-controlled stores close on Sundays and cease operations no later than 10 p.m. the rest of the week. Restaurants must buy from the state-controlled store (no delivery) at retail prices. No alcohol is served in restaurants without purchase of food. Sales of kegs prohibited. Importation of alcohol into the state by private individuals generally prohibited.

Florida bans liquor sales in grocery stores, so liquor stores are the only places to get it, but they aren't state stores.

Specifics about each state: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_the_United_States

A Walmart in Florida:
800px-Beer_at_Walmart_in_Kissimmee_FL.jpg

Walmart is amazing for booze. You can get an 18 for like 12 bucks, not craft-enjoy-yourself-beer but I'm-at-a-party-I-don't-wan't-to-be-at-please-lets-just-get-drunk-and-forget-this-failure-of-a-night beer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom