• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT2| We need to be more like Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
new? The old one is still here. Contrary to popular belief, I am not an alt of him. How am I in anyway like him?

I'm just curious. I assume and I might be wrong but "Diablosing" is when Diablos dramatize events and overreacts among certain things?

Your post was literally "sure, maybe there are reasons to believe that Hillary might win, but really we live in a universe where anything is possible."

Sure, this is accurate, but it also belongs in Freshman Philosophy GAF, not PoliGAF.

TBH what you wrote could be said ipsis litteris in 2007.

Also who's the probable vp pick?

Talking about the democratic primary? Hillary DID win here in 2008- the race was essentially over at that point though, so I wouldn't read that much into it.

Talking about the general? whoever the democratic nominee was would have taken it in a walk. Joe Biden could have won by 10 points. The republican brand was completely toxic at that point, and there are a good million+ more democrats here than republicans. There is a reason the state GOP was trying to float dividing up electoral votes by county, and then voter ID. It's virtually impossible for a republican to win a general presidential election in the state otherwise.

VP is too early to call, it could be anyone- but VP picks tend to complement the primary pick. Hillary is old, white, and female so I expect a young male, possibly hispanic to counter that. Julian Castro maybe? Definitely someone who would be in a position to run for president in 2024.

Marist/NBC takes a look at Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina.

In the GOP primary, the only two candidates to get double digits in all three states are Bush and Walker. Huckabee wins Iowa, Bush wins New Hampshire, Graham (ok) wins South Carolina.

Hillary of course is romping everywhere and in the general election match-ups she beats Bush 48-40 in Iowa, 48-42 in New Hampshire, Walker 49-38 in Iowa and 49-42 in Iowa. Even in South Carolina she's apparently competitive, Bush leads her 48-45 and she ties Walker at 46. But of course that probably won't hold.

Buried at the bottom of the poll is a Senate poll of New Hampshire where Maggie Hassan actually leads Kelly Ayotte 48-44. Not only that but Hassan has a 70% approval rating. She'd be as close to a slam dunk as the Democrats could get.

Wilsongt

Trying to sign up for health coverage today and the income bit is giving me troubles. My job ended in August, and so far the only taxable income I have had since then is in mutual funds. However, I don't get that money directly. It gets reinvested, so I essentially see none of that money.

Anyway, I went through last night and entering in the information I could, my monthly income came out to like $400. I was unable to get medicaid because, lol, South Carolina.

Ecotic

Marist/NBC takes a look at Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina.

In the GOP primary, the only two candidates to get double digits in all three states are Bush and Walker. Huckabee wins Iowa, Bush wins New Hampshire, Graham (ok) wins South Carolina.

It almost hurts my head trying to comprehend those numbers, there's so much disorder. A 3 way split between Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina going into Super Tuesday would be so amazing.

Talking about the general? whoever the democratic nominee was would have taken it in a walk. Joe Biden could have won by 10 points. The republican brand was completely toxic at that point, and there are a good million+ more democrats here than republicans. There is a reason the state GOP was trying to float dividing up electoral votes by county, and then voter ID. It's virtually impossible for a republican to win a general presidential election in the state otherwise.

So what you're saying is that nothing has changed?

Wilsongt

The House passed a bill funding the DHS that also contained riders rolling back President Barack Obama’s executive order delaying deportations. Senate Democrats blocked its passage, demanding a “clean” continuing resolution. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) said that the ball was back in the House’s court, which was where Wallace found Boehner Sunday morning.

“The House has acted. We’ve done our job,” Boehner said. “Senate Democrats are the ones putting us in this precarious position. And it’s up to Senate Democrats to get their act together.”

Wallace invoked a rising sense of terror threats, and asked if Boehner and Republicans were prepared let the DHS shut down.
“Certainly,” Boehner replied, adding that Senate Democrats “would be to blame.”

Meh

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/0...e-pinterest-account-embarrasses-self-instead/

4423.png

It almost hurts my head trying to comprehend those numbers, there's so much disorder. A 3 way split between Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina going into Super Tuesday would be so amazing.
It happened in 2012. Santorum won Iowa, Romney won NH and Gingrich won SC.

Diablos

Worldwide, firing squads are also employed to execute criminals in Indonesia, Syria and the United Arab Emirates.
What other facts do you need to realize a firing squad is a stupid fucking idea? Once again US Republicans demonstrate shocking similarities with far-right ideology straight out of the Middle East.

Gas or lethal injection with non-cheap chemicals, or NOTHING.

What other facts do you need to realize a firing squad is a stupid fucking idea? Once again US Republicans demonstrate shocking similarities with far-right ideology straight out of the Middle East.

Gas or lethal injection with non-cheap chemicals, or NOTHING.
Same reason as this

map_of_countries_that_dont_use_metric_system.jpg

U-S-A, U-S-A

(that's countries that don't use the metric system. It's us, Liberia and Myanmar)

Diablos

Same reason as this

map_of_countries_that_dont_use_metric_system.jpg

U-S-A, U-S-A

(that's countries that don't use the metric system. It's us, Liberia and Myanmar)
Switching to Metric was something we should have done in the 70's. I believe Carter tried to do it but failed. Unlike execution methods, however, I'd argue it would be harder to switch. Not that it's impossible or dumb, but there are valid concerns (i.e. driving) where people would get no doubt confused and turned off by the idea. Again, this should have been done in the 70's.

NeoXChaos

Hypothetical: a poll comes out tomorrow showing Jeb Bush up five on Hillary in all major swing states. How do you react

Knowing how fickle the American people can be, I would not be shocked. I am with Diablos on this one. There surely will be polls within the margin of error the closer we get to election 2016 so honestly I wouldnt react in anyway that signaled doom and gloom.(Diablosing)

Besides, we have our PA guy Diablos here to tell us in real-time how things are looking on the ground for our girl Hillary anyway.

Now if a poll comes out the weekend before election day with your scenario, I might start to worry.

Switching to Metric was something we should have done in the 70's. I believe Carter tried to do it but failed. Unlike execution methods, however, I'd argue it would be harder to switch. Not that it's impossible or dumb, but there are valid concerns (i.e. driving) where people would get no doubt confused and turned off by the idea. Again, this should have been done in the 70's.

They tried. Highway signs with kilometers, speed limits in kph, Schoolhouse Rock songs, speedometers in cars with km highlighted. The only thing that stuck was 2-liter soda bottles.

Diablos

Besides, we have our PA guy Diablos here to tell us in real-time how things are looking on the ground for our girl Hillary anyway.
Unless you wake up in a parallel universe where Wolf gerrymanders the electoral vote, Democrats are not losing PA in 2016, unless something insane (and I really do mean insane) happens.

Toomey is toast, too. I feel bad to an extent because I have a lot of respect for him trying to take a stand against gun violence in this country, setting a good example that his friends in Congress should follow.

Wolf is off to an awesome start. He's taxing fracking (and signed an executive order banning fracking in state parks), will have Medicaid expanded by spring, and is putting a halt on capital punishment until it's thoroughly examined -- something the state is in desperate need of. Everyone is talking about how they've never seen a Governor here come out of the gate swinging so hard. He is definitely comfortable with his position as Governor; don't let his reserved and not-so-charismatic campaigning style fool you.

----

It's really... interesting how Paul Ryan is coming forward regarding a potential ruling in favor of King, stating:

“We have to have a contingency plan,” House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Paul Ryan, R-Wis., said Friday.

...only to then say

“The idea is not to make ObamaCare work better or actually authorize ObamaCare,” he said.

What's your fucking plan, then? People getting subsidies can still have them (i.e. grandfathered BECAUSE OBAMA LIED TO YOU AND IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT, COME TO DADDY) while everyone else gets shut out and omfg buy across state lines?

I think this is just a head fake to give someone like Roberts just enough confidence to rule in favor of King, knowing (or thinking he knows) that Congress will have a legitimate backup plan that can actually pass. I don't know if it will work, or that the deciding vote (likely Roberts) will even fall for it, but it's classic GOP...

They must have a lot of confidence in the SCOTUS, because they're holding off on repealing/gutting the ACA until the ruling comes down... I don't think they did this with the last ACA ruling.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's really... interesting how Paul Ryan is coming forward regarding a potential ruling in favor of King, stating:

...only to then say

What's your fucking plan, then? People getting subsidies can still have them (i.e. grandfathered BECAUSE OBAMA LIED TO YOU AND IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT, COME TO DADDY) while everyone else gets shut out and omfg buy across state lines?

I think this is just a head fake to give someone like Roberts just enough confidence to rule in favor of King, knowing (or thinking he knows) that Congress will have a legitimate backup plan that can actually pass. I don't know if it will work, or that the deciding vote (likely Roberts) will even fall for it, but it's classic GOP...

Fuck you Paul Ryan, fuck you. Buy across state lines my ass, every insurer will just go to Kansas and cover absolutely nothing of any use to anybody while charging triple what they did before the ACA.

Diablos

I should note that he didn't say anything (afaik) about buying across state lines on Friday; I was just speculating.

I really think the ACA is in danger, not because I'm Diablosing but because the GOP is legitimately holding out for this one. The rhetoric has really been toned down lately, more than I can ever remember since the law passed. That in and of itself is pretty significant. People like Cathy McMorris Rodgers have been saying for the longest time that a more practical approach to hurt the ACA is getting rid of subsidies as well. Everyone knows each other in regards to Congress and the think tanks that are defending and fighting against King.

Also, when is the last time you've seen the GOP seriously eager to actually say "we need to have something to replace the ACA." Was it when Mitt Romney flirted with the idea in 2012?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
A Mississippi state lawmaker said he opposed putting more money into elementary schools because he came from a town where “all the blacks are getting food stamps and what I call ‘welfare crazy checks.’ They don’t work.”

In an interview with the Clarion-Ledger regarding education funding, state Rep. Gene Alday (R) stated his opposition to a push to increase funding to improve elementary school reading scores. Alday implied that increasing education funding for children in black families would be pointless.

Alday continued, saying that when he was mayor of Walls, MS, that the times he’d gone to the emergency room had taken a long time. “I laid in there for hours because they (blacks) were in there being treated for gunshots,” he told the newspaper.

http://thinkprogress.org/election/2...n-funding-go-blacks-get-welfare-crazy-checks/

Once again, the party of Lincoln, ladies and gentlemen.

NeoXChaos

I think I found another Diablos. I frequent the uselectionatlas politcal forum and found this posted by a user. It was under a topic called "would it be better for the left if hillary lost?

Scott Walker governs Wisconsin like a dictator, completely excluding Democrats from the political debate unless they sell out. He would effectively be a regent for the Koch dynasty, and with majorities in both Houses of Congress he would support legislation that would gut civil liberties and voting rights -- and Congress would approve them and he would sign them. With the GOP majority expanded in the Supreme Court, America could become for all practical purposes an Apartheid state in which minorities and the poor are effectively shut out. Elections could become a farce even if people can participate in them. As Democrats become irrelevant, the Republican supermajorities in both Congresses and in control of 3/4 of state legislatures could amend the Constitution almost at will.

ALEC would collaborate with Republican majorities in one state after another to fully entrench the Republican party forever in most states whenever they get Republican majorities with 'model' legislation.

I see no reason to believe that Scott Walker would change his ways as President of the United States from how he behaves as Governor of Wisconsin.

Scott Walker would be the last freely-elected president of the United States, and even his second term would be the result of a rigged election.

His Reponse to above by another user who responded to him

What I did not see coming in 2014 looks like the Wave of the Future. It has huge funds behind it, and with excellent organization behind it and utter ruthlessness it would gladly destroy democracy. No human suffering is in excess so long as it turns or protects an elite profit -- so believes just about every plantation owner, Gilded-era robber baron, executive elitist, and gangster. That is the heritage of the economic component of the American Right.

Whatever shatters faith creates fear. I fear the Koch family as I never feared the Rockefeller family. (Maybe the Rockefeller family was more effective in playing both sides of the political spectrum, which kept them from being so fearsome). I see Koch front groups as sources of political rhetoric out of 1984.

Citizens United may have begun the transformation of America into a pure and absolute plutocracy. Democracy can die quickly in a coup (Czechoslovakia in 1948, Chile in 1973) or slowly through the degradation of necessary process.

NeoXChaos

Kept reading.....they discuss a lot of similar points we discuss here..

Do you think it makes more sense for Democrats to throw the presidential election and potentially risk a right-wing majority on SCOTUS, repeal of most legislation passed during the Obama presidency, forfeiting all executive power, etc. for the sake of MAYBE winning Congress in 2018?

How much is hillary going to pass when the GOP supermajority going to come around?

First of all, I highly doubt there will be a GOP "supermajority" (either 66% or 60%) in the House or Senate even after 2018. Secondly, even if there was, it still makes no sense whatsoever to throw a presidential election and hand the GOP a trifecta on a silver platter for a MINIMUM of 2 years. Dems gain nothing in this scenario. There's only two possible Senate pickups for Dems in 2018, even in a massive wave. Assuming they win the presidential election, the GOP probably has 52 seats or more after 2016. So taking back the Senate is likely a nonstarter. The House is gerrymandered to hell, but in a wave Dems could take it back. But it's no sure thing that 2018 would be a Democratic wave even if the incumbent Republican is unpopular, particularly because of turnout issues which plague Democrats in midterms. So the stategery here is apparently to throw a presidential election, hand the GOP all the executive power, let them possibly replace Ginsburg and some of their own justices on the SCOTUS, let them repeal countless pieces of legislation passed since 2009, all for...an outside shot at taking the House? Uh, no thanks on that deal.

I hate the "If we lose the next presidential election people will realize how bad the Republicans are and we can elect communists!" mindset. That shit never works. After Reagan and Bush we got Clinton, one of the most decidedly centrist presidents in a long time. Bush II basically resulted in this - we got Obama who's the most liberal president America could reasonably be expected to elect in this era. But the ones who bring this up are the ones who bitch about Obama being a secret Republican.

The *only* advantage might be less brutal midterms, but who the hell cares? In fifty years no history book is going to talk about what Republicans in Congress did, they're going to talk about the Obama presidency and the Clinton (or Walker or Bush) presidency, for better or worse and the parties will own those legacies.

Ecotic

I've noticed this phenomenon here in the South all the time. So many white people could be open to liberal ideas or voting Democrat, but if there's the remote possibility of it helping black people they're against it. The knowledge that they're hurting black people disproportionately more than they're hurting themselves makes it worth it. My family would gladly vote on a policy that makes themselves $10,000 poorer annually, so long as black people are hurt by $15,000.

kess

Oh speaking of Scott Walker

Walker budget catches DNR Board members off guard

Some of Gov. Scott Walker's strongest supporters in Wisconsin's outdoor community sound jilted by his 2015-17 budget proposal that strips the seven-citizen Natural Resources Board of its powers to set DNR policy.

If the proposal becomes law, the DNR Board would become an advisory group to the governor-appointed DNR secretary, who would set agency policy.

The DNR Board has a rich heritage in Wisconsin, originating in 1928 as the Conservation Commission to ensure public interests in natural resources weren't compromised by raw politics. Among its early charges from the Legislature was to set all fees, seasons, bag limits and regulations on fish and game.

When legislators reinvented the Conservation Department as the DNR in 1967, they empowered its seven-citizen governing board to set agency policy, and hire and fire its secretary. Gov. Tommy Thompson used the budget process in 1995 to usurp those powers by making the DNR secretary a Cabinet position.

Or as an editorial on wisopinion.com puts it...

In Governor Walker's budget he proposes the elimination of the DATCP and DNR Boards as policy making boards as well as the Conservation Congress as a direct citizen vote on the policies of the DNR Board. The boards would remain in name, but not power, becoming "advisory" rather than policy setting.

The DNR board, which has been in place in some form since 1928, would no longer have the authority to vote on rule changes and set policy for the Department of Natural Resources. The Conservation Congress meets once every year in every single county in the state of Wisconsin and directly voices an opinion on policies before the DNR Board.

FyreWulff

Like seriously, I have never seen even the most red conservative hunters disagree with bag limits, and conservation. It's what allows you to have game to hunt for decades and land to hunt on. Hunter safety course requirements keeps people from dying.

Past "muh guns" hunting is fairly apolitical once you're out in the field, because all legit hunters WANT conservation. If he's going to politicize this and try to deregulate conservation, :(

benjipwns

Banned
Not seeing why Teddy would necessarily oppose this or why it's against progressive Republican Party principles. It doesn't eliminate any regulations, it merely moves the endlessly uninformed and sometimes troublesome citizenry to their proper place as a group that cannot affect the policy made in the Department of Natural Resources. Instead, they, like any citizens can advise the government about their petty and maligned opinions.

This way a friend to the executive like Gifford Pinchot can implement expert policy for the people's greater good without some silly "citizens" board (that's either full of or influenced by special interests) getting in the way and sabotaging the people's will.

EDIT: The board isn't even elected, it's appointed by the Governor! (Mr. Scott's appointed five of the members.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom