• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT2| We need to be more like Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
My nearby Walmart Supercenter had an aisle for Bud and stuff (usually with the soft drinks), and then an aisle for wine and craft beers with like a hundred types. So even Walmarts aren't terrible in decent states.

Walmart doesn't carry liquor by company policy though.

Sam's Club on the other hand...if you ever need spirits by the gallon...and because of most state laws they can't keep you out as a non-member if you're only buying liquor.

My nearby Walmart Supercenter had an aisle for Bud and stuff, and then an aisle for wine and craft beers with like a hundred types. So even Walmarts aren't terrible in decent states.

Walmart doesn't carry liquor by company policy though.

I see how it is.

I'm not a big fan of Florida, I'm trying to get the heck out

Tamanon

Banned
Huh, never knew this about NC's liquor laws.

No "happy hour," "buy one get one free," or "ladies night" style specials allowed

I guess I never noticed the lack of them. I hate that you can only get liquor at state-run ABC stores though.

benjipwns

Banned
Massachusetts has a bunch of weird laws like that. And about what % beer can be and how many types you can sell and so on. And it always always loses at the ballot box.

Because everyone just drives to NH/VT anyway.

I've heard similar things for the outside areas of PA.

KY is hilarious because of the dry and wet counties, on like every border between a wet county and a dry county there's these massive Liquor Barns or other store that's basically a Wal-Mart that sells only alcohol and related.

New Jersey is also one of two states that don't allow you to pump your own gas. There's a hilarious video (it might be Oregon) I can't find of a committee hearing where someone is suggesting repeal of the law and the legislators look like the guy has told them he's got a bomb strapped to his chest.

Yes and it's amazing. When it's cold or hot or raining or snowing I don't have to do shit to get gas. I can stay warm/cool/dry all the way to my destination.

And it's still cheaper by a decent margin than it is in pa and many other surrounding states. It'll be the toughest part of moving out of nj.

ivysaur12

Banned
where? in that primary? that was among democrats.

…Yes? And? That's still shows empirical data that working class whites prefer Hillary to Obama.

What… exactly is the point you're trying to make? That this isn't true? You'd have a very hard time proving that/missed 2008?

benjipwns

Banned
And it's still cheaper by a decent margin than it is in pa and many other surrounding states. It'll be the toughest part of moving out of nj.
Gas tax is half or more and 48TH in the union:
gasmap_large.png

Trouble

Banned
Washington dear god.

The tax rate on spirits in WA is so high because that was the tradeoff to offset the loss of revenue from shutting down the state run stores. It took a couple of failed ballot measures before voters finally acquiesced. The largest corporate supporter was, surprise surprise, Costco.

But now I can buy liquor at Costco, so I'm OK with it.

ivysaur12

Banned
Cool little interactive demographic map that projects into the future

http://datatools.urban.org/features/mapping-americas-futures/#map

In 2030, Georgia will only be 43% white. Assuming blacks remain overwhelmingly Democratic and other minorities slightly so (60/40 we'll say), Democrats would be beating 50% easily.

North Dakota, 2010-2030
Population growth: 10.11% Population change: 668,629 to 736,220

Est. 2014 739,482 9.9%

Oh.

Gas tax is half or more and 48TH in the union:
gasmap_large.png

Shhhhh. The magical gas fairy is why its so cheap even while still having to pay a minimum wage shlub to pump it.

But seriously it does need to go up here anyway here. The roads and bridges are pretty atrocious here. A 10 cent bump towards transportation would go a hell of a long way.

benjipwns

Banned
The tax rate on spirits in WA is so high because that was the tradeoff to offset the loss of revenue from shutting down the state run stores.
They're doing similar shit with marijuana last I knew.

Shhhhh. The magical gas fairy is why its so cheap even while still having to pay a minimum wage shlub to pump it.

But seriously it does need to go up here anyway here. The roads and bridges are pretty atrocious here. A 10 cent bump towards transportation would go a hell of a long way.
New Jersey should double the gas tax for people with non-NJ plates. Since they just use it as a long passthrough to/from Philly, NYC, DC.

Trouble

Banned
They're doing similar shit with marijuana last I knew.

Well, we didn't have state run stores, but yeah I believe they are taxing the hell out of it. I've heard complaints that people are mostly still buying in the black market because it's so much cheaper.

benjipwns

Banned
Well, we didn't have state run stores, but yeah I believe they are taxing the hell out of it. I've heard complaints that people are mostly still buying in the black market because it's so much cheaper.
I thought they were trying to create state run/staffed stores? Didn't they put the ABC in charge of it?

ivysaur12

Banned
Having gone to college in Pennsylvania, the liquor laws are truly Satan's work.

I thought they were trying to create state run/staffed stores? Didn't they put the ABC in charge of it?

I know in CO, people are still buying medical marijuana because it's cheaper (15% tax versus a 3% tax). I think those numbers are right.

benjipwns

Banned
In an interview on the “Florida Roundtable” radio program this week, Eagle Forum founder Phyllis Schlafly attacked President Obama for weakening American by bringing in “foreign ideas and diseases and people who don’t believe in self-government.”

Schlafly said that while she believes that the United States “should be the biggest and the best and the strongest,” the president believes “just the opposite,” which is why he is letting into the country “all these people with Ebola” and immigrants who “are not familiar with the whole concept of limited government.”

“He wants us to be one of the boys,” she said. “He wants us to be just like everybody else. That’s why he’s letting all these people with Ebola in. There’s no reason why we should take on the African diseases. He should stop them when they get off the plane and not let them in. We don’t want some of these foreign ideas and diseases and people who don’t believe in self-government.”

“You know, these people he’s letting in and credentialing as new immigrants are not familiar with the whole concept of limited government,” she continued. “They look to the government as their savior and advisor and some organization to tell them what to do. We don’t want that!”
bad news for the Dems, Obama's secret plan is finally found out

benjipwns

Banned
Since we've been making fun of PA: http://www.pa.gov/Pages/NewsDetails.aspx?agency=PAGovNews&item=16512
Harrisburg, PA – Today, Governor Tom Wolf announced a moratorium on the death penalty in Pennsylvania that will remain in effect until the governor has received and reviewed the forthcoming report of the Pennsylvania Task Force and Advisory Commission on Capital Punishment, established under Senate Resolution 6 of 2011, and there is an opportunity to address all concerns satisfactorily.

“Today’s action comes after significant consideration and reflection,” said Governor Wolf. “This moratorium is in no way an expression of sympathy for the guilty on death row, all of whom have been convicted of committing heinous crimes. This decision is based on a flawed system that has been proven to be an endless cycle of court proceedings as well as ineffective, unjust, and expensive. Since the reinstatement of the death penalty, 150 people have been exonerated from death row nationwide, including six men in Pennsylvania. Recognizing the seriousness of these concerns, the Senate established the bipartisan Pennsylvania Task Force and Advisory Commission to conduct a study of the effectiveness of capital punishment in Pennsylvania. Today’s moratorium will remain in effect until this commission has produced its recommendation and all concerns are addressed satisfactorily.”

This morning, Gov. Wolf took the first step in placing a moratorium on the death penalty by granting a temporary reprieve to inmate Terrance Williams, who was scheduled to be executed on March 4, 2015. Governor Wolf will grant a reprieve – not a commutation – in each future instance in which an execution for a death row inmate is scheduled, establishing an effective moratorium on the death penalty in Pennsylvania. For death row inmates, the conditions and confinement will not change.

Chichikov

People mostly go through the prescription route because medical marijuana laws are hilariously lax.
I mean shit, nurses and naturopaths can prescribe pot.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I know in CO, people are still buying medical marijuana because it's cheaper (15% tax versus a 3% tax). I think those numbers are right.

Seems fair to me. Shouldn't crazily tax items that people medically need, but who cares about taxing items people simply want.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
New Jersey should double the gas tax for people with non-NJ plates. Since they just use it as a long passthrough to/from Philly, NYC, DC.

Isn't the Jersey Turnpike punishment enough? If Dante had known about it he'd have made it the seventh circle of hell.

NeoXChaos

…Yes? And? That's still shows empirical data that working class whites prefer Hillary to Obama.

What… exactly is the point you're trying to make? That this isn't true? You'd have a very hard time proving that/missed 2008?

white working class in a democratic primary among democrats. That says nothing of her viability among them in a general election that include Independent and Republican.

Yes, its data but does it still hold up 8 years later?

ivysaur12

Banned
white working class in a democratic primary among democrats. That says nothing of her viability among them in a general election that include Independent and Republican.

Yes, its data but does it still hold up 8 years later?

Again -- I don't know what you're arguing or why, and this seems like anxiety for anxiety's sake without even a remote touchstone to anything called reality.

HylianTom

Banned
I love the alcohol discussion here. I didn't know what "last call" was until leaving NOLA for college in Mississippi.. talk about a culture shock!

There was a satirical parade last night down St Charles Avenue. Some floats I figured y'all would like..

A few made fun of news media, cable news in particular.
WilliamsDetat.jpg

NancyGraceDetat.jpg

Another float, entitled "Bloody Mary," said goodbye to Mary Landrieu's career..
MaryDetat.jpg

Probably my favorite, detailing the Obama administration's mixed record of success before SCOTUS:
DetatSCOTUS.jpg

(I wish I had gotten a pic, but the back of that float had a painting of Notorious RBG sleeping at the State of the Union!)

And they didn't bring back my favorite float from last year, looking forward to 2016's candidates..
DetatHillary.jpg

(although my favorite SCOTUS float was still from an earlier parade, with the justices doing a merry-go-round..)
B8vSfhmIIAIjukr.jpg

The justices have been in a few parades this year - a very welcome change!

I love the alcohol discussion here. I didn't know what "last call" was until leaving NOLA for college in Mississippi.. talk about a culture shock!

There was a satirical parade last night down St Charles Avenue. Some floats I figured y'all would like..

A few made fun of news media, cable news in particular.
WilliamsDetat.jpg

NancyGraceDetat.jpg

Another float, entitled "Bloody Mary," said goodbye to Mary Landrieu's career..
MaryDetat.jpg

Probably my favorite, detailing the Obama administration's mixed record of success before SCOTUS:
DetatSCOTUS.jpg

(I wish I had gotten a pic, but the back of that float had a painting of Notorious RBG sleeping at the State of the Union!)

And they didn't bring back my favorite float from last year, looking forward to 2016's candidates..
DetatHillary.jpg

(although my favorite SCOTUS float was still from an earlier parade, with the justices doing a merry-go-round..)
B8vSfhmIIAIjukr.jpg

The justices have been in a few parades this year - a very welcome change!

Is that Krewe D'etat?

Yup! (Well, all but the last one, which was Krewe du Vieux, over in the Quarter)

The city is pretty much shut-down until Wednesday morning at this point. Thursday & Friday at work were joke days.

Yeah I lived in New Orleans for 3 years. From Muses to Rex nothing got done.

NeoXChaos

Again -- I don't know what you're arguing or why, and this seems like anxiety for anxiety's sake without even a remote touchstone to anything called reality.

Im arguing simply this: Idk, ydk, we all dk how she will perform next year in the democratic party primary or general election among working class whites. Every thing that being discussed is very hypothetical based off of the empirical data we all spout here each day.

We dk who or what will happen in 2016 nor the ultimate Republican challenger come the fall. We could have a brokered convention, a surprising world outbreak of war, the death of either candidate, and a host of other things.

Discussions about this are so fun. Listen, you, Aaron, Tom etc & I want the same think(I assume), a Hillary presidency with a D house and D senate/a lock on the supreme court for decades. We can get there but with realization that anything could happen. I just hope we can be prepared for the possibility of anything happening to our candidate, the unknown republican candidate supposed strengths and weakness, the environment at the time etc.

If a Republican wins, we all dont suddenly lose and its the end of the U.S as we know it. Yes, a Republican house, senate, presidency & majority of state governments under R control seems scary BUT it wont be doomsday in 2017 and beyond. We will get through it no matter whose in control.

pigeon

Banned
Im arguing simply this: Idk, ydk, we all dk how she will perform next year in the democratic party primary or general election among working class whites. Every thing that being discussed is very hypothetical based off of the empirical data we all spout here each day.

We dk who or what will happen in 2016 nor the ultimate Republican challenger come the fall. We could have a brokered convention, a surprising world outbreak of war, the death of either candidate, and a host of other things.

You really are the new Diablos.

Are you concerned at all about the possibility of a military coup? That would definitely be bad for Democrats.

HylianTom

Banned

Discussions about this are so fun. Listen, you, Aaron, Tom etc & I want the same think(I assume), a Hillary presidency with a D house and D senate/a lock on the supreme court for decades. We can get there but with realization that anything could happen. I just hope we can be prepared for the possibility of anything happening to our candidate, the unknown republican candidate supposed strengths and weakness, the environment at the time etc.

If a Republican wins, we all dont suddenly lose and its the end of the U.S as we know it. Yes, a Republican house, senate, presidency & majority of state governments under R control seems scary BUT it wont be doomsday in 2017 and beyond. We will get through it no matter whose in control.

No doubt.

I'm full of bravado on our current trajectory, but there will always be that nagging little voice in the back of my head asking, "What if..?"

It's the same tiny, imaginative, worrying voice that asks, "What if RBG trips and falls and passes away before the SCOTUS marriage ruling in June, resulting in a 4-4 tie?"

There's a lot that can happen between here and November 2016, and every month that passes by without deviation from our current path or major disastrous incident is to be celebrated.

The stakes riding on this election are huge, so I'll never relax completely. Despite confidence, I won't fully exhale until I see the Dems' nominee past 269. (And at that point, I'll get stinkin' bomb-ass drunk. Which is an extreme, extreeeeeme rarity.)

ivysaur12

Banned

No, I agree. My only point was that -- looking at PA demographics and her areas of support -- I don't see her doing worse in the state with white working class voters than Obama did. Granted, that's not FOR CERTAIN, but looking off of 2008 trends and even how some of the 2014 midterm Dems did with working class whites (barely better than Obama, but still better), I don't see her doing worse.

benjipwns

Banned
Are you concerned at all about the possibility of a military coup? That would definitely be bad for Democrats.
Personally, I'm concerned about a genetically enhanced supervillian seizing control of the world's nuclear arms. I don't know how that would affect the polls but I'm just saying we're due for the Eugenics Wars.

It's the same tiny, imaginative, worrying voice that asks, "What if RBG trips and falls and passes away before the SCOTUS marriage ruling in June, resulting in a 4-4 tie?"
I think that one is going to be 6-3 so Roberts can write the opinion.

NeoXChaos

You really are the new Diablos.

new? The old one is still here. Contrary to popular belief, I am not an alt of him. How am I in anyway like him?

I'm just curious. I assume and I might be wrong but "Diablosing" is when Diablos dramatize events and overreacts among certain things?

Personally, I'm concerned about a genetically enhanced supervillian seizing control of the world's nuclear arms. I don't know how that would affect the polls but I'm just saying we're due for the Eugenics Wars.

Bit late on that.

I'm just curious. I assume and I might be wrong but "Diablosing" is when Diablos dramatize events and overreacts among certain things?

Allied to grotesquely unwarranted pessimism and general doom & gloom.

Diablos

Hillary is more popular than Obama in PA, especially western PA. I expect her to match Obama's performance in the east and outperform him here in the west.

HylianTom

Banned
I think that one is going to be 6-3 so Roberts can write the opinion.

In my dreams that would happen, if only so that we get to see the mental/emotional fireworks that result from such a ruling. It's amazing how gargantuan the gap between a "divisive" 5-4 ruling and a "decisive" 6-3 ruling can seem.

benjipwns

Banned
Roberts, it seems to me wants to take certain decisions so he can narrowly construe the opinion, like with the first Obamacare case. With Kennedy he runs the risk of a much broader opinion, so he'll be a hop on. You're gonna get hop-ons.

Historically a number of chief justices have operated this way.

eh, at this point I'm expecting 6-3 with the usual suspects dissenting + Roberts joining the majority

e: god DAMN it Benji, stop stealing my posts four hours before I think of them!

Hillary is more popular than Obama in PA, especially western PA. I expect her to match Obama's performance in the east and outperform him here in the west.

This. I can't see how anyone who actually lives here and pays attention to elections could come up with a scenario where Hillary actually loses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom