• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT2| We need to be more like Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.
And New Orleans' population has increased nicely over the past 6 years.
The 2008 census had us around 312k.
The 2013 census had us around 379k.

The city went >80% for Obama in 2012. Lots of lefties living here. Dad used to roll his eyes at this, but now he just laughs enthusiastically about all of the "liberal do-gooders" that have moved into the city from around the country.

Whoever put early voting signs all over the city's neutral grounds did an incredible job. They are everywhere. I've been wondering in the back of my mind how much New Orleans' (re)growth might help Mary.
Guy Cecil was saying recently that the number of registered black voters is actually higher now than it was before Katrina.

Obviously it was trending Republican before that, but I'm sure the hurricane was a huge factor in limiting Democrats' chances there.

Maybe Mitch Landrieu can become governor?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUSRZo1BE5o

Is this the new GOP strategy to turn black people against Obama? "Your life may suck even more under the GOP, but at least you'll have the integrity in knowing you're not living off the government."

I will say that it's high time that urban cities started voting in people who actually have their interests in mind. Being from Detroit and seeing the Kilpatrick administration and City Council lurch from one disaster to another, there's no question we need to put more emphasis on what can be done. Not who your pastor endorsed or who's family has been in office for 30 years. Get them out. I sure don't want republicans in those positions though.

The condescending tone republicans take towards blacks is amazing. "Unchained?" Seriously? It's the same with the plantation nonsense.

He doesn’t kill enough people overseas. So she’s a menace to the United States of America.”

But he wasn’t done.

“What we need is people — regardless of whether they are libertarians or not — that pull back on the empire and make Wall Street subordinate to Main Street,” Mr. Nader said, Raw Story reported. “People have got to start thinking, doing their homework, become informed voters and not coronet another corporatist and militarist.’
Tell me the parts where you disagree with him.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but in the US, being a pragmatist involves being a corporatist and a militarist. Thus, potato potatoe.

It means she follows political pressures. Why the left thinks there's going to be a politician who just magically ignores politics, pressure, interest groups, voter's desires to enact their chosen policy IDK.

Have you heard her talk about income inequality? She's talking like warren because that's where the base moved her? War? She constantly talked about not intervening in events like the Green Revolution and other Arab Spring events, tried to reset russia, etc because the base didn't want conflict (her pivot on syria is based on voters moving and the fact that the powers and rices I think always wanted to do more there).

Nader instead of pretending politicians never change (because he himself is a stick in the mud) and actively trying to hurt people that are closer to him than the other side is just hurting the things he cares about.

Guy Cecil was saying recently that the number of registered black voters is actually higher now than it was before Katrina.

Obviously it was trending Republican before that, but I'm sure the hurricane was a huge factor in limiting Democrats' chances there.

I'd rather have him run for senator next year (or 2016?) when vitter wins the gov race.

Him trying to run in 2015 for gov is a losing battle and ruins any possibility in the future. Cedric Richman could also run if the race is in 2016.

HylianTom

Banned

Honestly, I'm still shocked that Mary won re-election in 2008. Sure, the presidential year turnout helped, but after realizing how the storm had so scattered people around the country, I was certain that we were about to become as non-competitive as Texas.

This campaign makes me wish that Mitch's re-election had been a bit tougher. It would've forced him to invest in better GOTV machinery last year, and Mary could've used his foundation this year. If he plans on running for anything higher (which I don't doubt one bit), he'll need every bit of GOTV here in the city as he can get. He'd be refreshing compared to to the backwards clowns we currently have.

I'd rather have him run for senator next year (or 2016?) when vitter wins the gov race.
Hell. Yes.

It means she follows political pressures. Why the left thinks there's going to be a politician who just magically ignores politics, pressure, interest groups, voter's desires to enact their chosen policy IDK.

Have you heard her talk about income inequality? She's talking like warren because that's where the base moved her? War? She constantly talked about not intervening in events like the Green Revolution and other Arab Spring events, tried to reset russia, etc because the base didn't want conflict (her pivot on syria is based on voters moving and the fact that the powers and rices I think always wanted to do more there).

Nader instead of pretending politicians never change (because he himself is a stick in the mud) and actively trying to hurt people that are closer to him than the other side is just hurting the things he cares about.

Yes, I'm aware of all of that. None of which impacts Nader's comments about current Hillary whatsoever.

Additionally, if Nader really wanted to hurt Democrats, he'd run again.

once-formidable lead
[...]
ahead by 50 to 43 points, down from 51 to 38 percent

cncLkgz.jpg

NeoXChaos

Honestly, I'm still shocked that Mary won re-election in 2008. Sure, the presidential year turnout helped, but after realizing how the storm had so scattered people around the country, I was certain that we were about to become as non-competitive as Texas.

This campaign makes me wish that Mitch's re-election had been a bit tougher. It would've forced him to invest in better GOTV machinery last year, and Mary could've used his foundation this year. If he plans on running for anything higher (which I don't doubt one bit), he'll need every bit of GOTV here in the city as he can get. He'd be refreshing compared to to the backwards clowns we currently have.

Hell. Yes.

No. Id rather he run for governor. Senate is a lost cause. He could face an incumbent in option 1. Option 2 as well?

"If the unexpired term is more than one year, governor must issue the special election proclamation within 10 days following the vacancy and the special election is held in February, April, October, or November, depending on when the vacancy occurs."

"If a vacancy occurs in the office of United States senator and the unexpired term is one year or less, no special election shall be called by the governor and, if a senator is appointed to fill the vacancy, he shall serve for the remainder of the unexpired term, and his successor shall be elected at the next regular election for United States senator."

pigeon

Banned
Correct me if i'm wrong, but in the US, being a pragmatist involves being a corporatist and a militarist. Thus, potato potatoe.

The important distinction here is that, if Hillary is behaving like a corporatist because she's pragmatic, dislodging her will just give you a different pragmatist who will behave the same way.

To solve that problem, you need to replace social structures, not individual politicians. When the reward structure directs politicians to favor the social good, we will get politicians who are altruistic.

How to create that reward structure is obviously a challenge.

The important distinction here is that, if Hillary is behaving like a corporatist because she's pragmatic, dislodging her will just give you a different pragmatist who will behave the same way.

To solve that problem, you need to replace social structures, not individual politicians. When the reward structure directs politicians to favor the social good, we will get politicians who are altruistic.

How to create that reward structure is obviously a challenge.

Yes, i'm aware of that. I'm sure everybody here is aware of that.

That does not, however, make Nader's words about Hillary, as she is currently presenting herself, incorrect.

Additionally, calling her out on those traits as negatives can be seen as a way to push her towards traits that you desire. But you knew that. It is why Sanders is considering running, after all.

Could create that structure by voting for an independent, altruistic candidate, tho /grin

HylianTom

Banned
No. Id rather he run for governor. Senate is a lost cause. He could face an incumbent in option 1. Option 2 as well?

"If the unexpired term is more than one year, governor must issue the special election proclamation within 10 days following the vacancy and the special election is held in February, April, October, or November, depending on when the vacancy occurs."

"If a vacancy occurs in the office of United States senator and the unexpired term is one year or less, no special election shall be called by the governor and, if a senator is appointed to fill the vacancy, he shall serve for the remainder of the unexpired term, and his successor shall be elected at the next regular election for United States senator."

I'm happy either way, I just put more priority on grabbing as many senate seats as possible for the long term.

A match between him and Vitter would be fun. I bet Mitch would beat the tar out of Diaper Dave in a debate.

(Edit: I'm really enjoying that PoliGAF now has so many Louisiana folks here!)

Vahagn

So is the Senate really done for? I've tuned out politics for the last 3 weeks. Just useless gibberish for the most part.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So is the Senate really done for? I've tuned out politics for the last 3 weeks. Just useless gibberish for the most part.

Most likely, but midterm polling isn't always super accurate due to the small number of polls done for each race.

Nate Silver said:
Are all these Democratic/Udall internal polls out of Colorado a deliberate attempt to spam polling aggregators? Asking for a friend.
Jesus Nate has jumped the shark

Even if Udall loses I guarantee his internals are going to be a lot closer than Quinnipiac's Gardner+8 bullshit

If he runs in 2016 he'd face a one year incumbent. Not to difficult to unseat. Especially if they have a far right guy like who? scaliese? Imagine if he puts up jindal though hahahaha

Would you rather have him run for office?

The democratic candidature is not set in stone yet, after all.

I'd rather have him not give speeches and work more behind the scenes in public citizen, which is a great organization.

And I'm not in favor of a strong dem primary. I'd like a few challengers but nothing that is at the level nader is challenging. I just think it can focus clinton more on certain middle class and income inequality issues.

Anybody besides clinton has a great shot of losing.

Akainu

Just listened to this rick scott radio ad. It basically boils down to, "I'm voting for rick scott because when he screws you over he does it with conviction."

Kasich stopped in town today to visit the local GOP supporters. He says he's not thinking about 2016 yet ... but he certainly talked like he's all in for 2016.

I'd rather have him not give speeches and work more behind the scenes in public citizen, which is a great organization.

And I'm not in favor of a strong dem primary. I'd like a few challengers but nothing that is at the level nader is challenging. I just think it can focus clinton more on certain middle class and income inequality issues.

Anybody besides clinton has a great shot of losing.

Did you perchance hold the same beliefs in 2006?

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-b...an-astrologist-about-the-fla-gov-race/2204185

As ZOLAR, I have sold millions of horoscopes, calling countless electoral races.
Today, I predict that Charlie Crist, who served as a Republican, will now be elected as a Democrat!
There was little doubt in my mind that this will occur. Why?
Rick Scott has a very difficult chart, when it comes to women. He has friends who are
rich & powerful. But he uses them, for his own ends. Floridians know they are being conned for a second time. And they don’t like it!
Rick’s Sagittarius Sun, opposing his Gemini Moon, makes him a gambler.
This may be all right for the Florida dog track. But voters don’t like to be played!

Charlie Crist’s Leo Sun/Uranus fits well with his Aquarius Moon, which is not
in opposition like Rick’s.
Charlie is a people-person, who wants the best for every Floridian.
He had to change Parties, because the Party itself changed. He will not
talk about bringing business to the Sunshine State. He will DO it!
Final thoughts:
Don’t be surprised if Constitutional Amendments No. 1 & 2, calling
For Water & Land Conservation & Marijuana for Certain Medical
Conditions become Law. Also, expect delays in getting final results due to
Retrograde Mercury’s trailing.

Wrap it up everyone, Safe D

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
http://www.chriscrook.io/2014/10/21/the-tale-of-frank-m-conaway-jr-author/

approximately 54 videos / rambling rants posted in the last month on YouTube under user account 314meta.

Totally not me. I swear.

Though it is suspicious that I've never seen me and Frank M. Conaway, Jr., in the same place at the same time. Makes you think. Things like this:

Baptist Gnostic Christian Eubonic Kundalinion Spiritual Ki Do Hermeneutic Metaphysics: The Word: Hermeneutics said:
I theorize that the center or centers of the brain that become active during this special process; of which positive emotions are pushed to the level of extreme, and become self wired through a Electro thermal chemical process. This union or new path maybe a short cut or permanent path leading to the pleasure centers. This self-connection process maybe similar to the rumored self-reconnecting ability of the sexual tubes after they have been cut. It has been shown that a cut and tied sexual tube may grow a branch or bridge to reconnect itself. The path chosen may follow magnetic draws; caused by intense stimulation of the various areas, which are so intense that, they create an electrical arc between the two closest points. The intense pull may cause a chemical change between the two points of, which allows certain nutrients to follow this current path thereby creating a physical path. A path of electro-magnetically stimulated "repair" cells.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I remember there was an official guest on Coast to Coast AM that used astrology or psychic abilities or whatever to predict the Democrats would win the House in 2012. I would have been turned into a believer if that happened, but sadly it never came to pass.

Probably still a better source of predictions than Dick Morris or that Unskewed Polls guy, since he at least got Obama winning correct.

Joe Molotov

pgtl_10

I voted today! I chose Green part candidates. I also voted an extension of Austin's rail system and to spend on improving Austin Community College.

HylianTom

Banned
Aren't the GOP defending a large number of seats in 2016? What are the prospects of a long term senate majority?

2016 Senate Elections

Lots of blue and purple states there. If there were a year for a wave election, 2016 would be damn nice.

2018 isn't too bad either, but there are lots of defending Dems. If it's the typical temper tantrum election after a Democrat wins the White House, it could complicate things.
320px-2018_Senate_election_map.svg.png

I voted today! I chose Green part candidates. I also voted an extension of Austin's rail system and to spend on improving Austin Community College.
My vote in favor of Austin's rail system was one of the last affirmative votes I cast before leaving. I hope it passes this year; it's a good investment for the future.

pgtl_10

2016 Senate Elections

Lots of blue and purple states there. If there were a year for a wave election, 2016 would be damn nice.

2018 isn't too bad either, but there are lots of defending Dems. If it's the typical temper tantrum election after a Democrat wins the White House, it could complicate things.
320px-2018_Senate_election_map.svg.png

My vote in favor of Austin's rail system was one of the last affirmative votes I cast before leaving. I hope it passes this year; it's a good investment for the future.

Traffic here is terrible. We need a good rail system.

Ginsburg needs to stretch and eat some veggies if she wants to make it 2017. You can do this Ginsburg. You got a young mind.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg works out like a Canadian Air Force pilot

JR: Your health is good?

RBG: Yes, and I'm still working out twice a week with my trainer, the same trainer I now share with Justice [Elena] Kagan. I have done that since 1999.

...JR: And what do you do?

RBG: I do a variety of weight-lifting, elliptical glider, stretching exercises, push-ups. And I do the Canadian Air Force exercises almost every day.

NeoXChaos

Musical chairs until 2020 and beyond?

I'd say so. The 2018 features NO pickup opportunities for democrats except for Nevada with Heller.

Democrats will again be defending 24 seats. If 2018 is like 2014 or 2010..........its over.

2018 is going to be determined heavily by who is president and the overall environment as well as continued demographic changes. The D's I think will still have a midterm problem in 2018. The D's better hope that if Hillary is President, her first 2 years go SUPER SMOOTH.

They HAVE TO WIN governorships in key swing states that are open that year as well as hold those they may pick up this tuesday AND take back legislatures AND win KEY governorships in 2 years AND HOLD THEM in 2020 to have a shot at redistricting. Not just governor offices BUT secretary of state offices as well.

If she is above 50%, D's might hold on. If its Obama level 2010....look out.

I'd say so. The 2018 features NO pickup opportunities for democrats except for Nevada with Heller.

Democrats will again be defending 24 seats. If 2018 is like 2014 or 2010..........its over.

2018 is going to be determined heavily by who is president and the overall environment as well as continued demographic changes. The D's I think will still have a midterm problem in 2018. The D's better hope that if Hillary is President, her first 2 years go SUPER SMOOTH.

They HAVE TO WIN governorships in key swing states that are open that year as well as hold those they may pick up this tuesday AND take back legislatures AND win KEY governorships in 2 years AND HOLD THEM in 2020 to have a shot at redistricting. Not just governor offices BUT secretary of state offices as well.

If she is above 50%, D's might hold on. If its Obama level 2010....look out.

If the economy is good we shouldn't have a problem, with the exception of 1994 and 2010 the first midterms may lead to losses for the party in the White House but not a devastating defeat. Bush, Reagan, Nixon, Kennedy and FDR actually gained seats in the Senate in their first midterms.

NeoXChaos

If the economy is good we shouldn't have a problem, with the exception of 1994 and 2010 the first midterms may lead to losses for the party in the White House but not a devastating defeat. Bush, Reagan, Nixon, Kennedy and FDR actually gained seats in the Senate in their first midterms.

Sure. lets hope so. However:

Even if the D's were to somehow win in places like WV, MT, SD, KS, LA, GA, KY, AK and AR, they'll probably lose a lot of them eventually through retirement or defeat.

& viceversa with Kirk & Collins etc. Only a matter of when not if.

Take the hit now. Win later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom