• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT2| We need to be more like Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/12/us-usa-economy-sentiment-idUSBRE89B0U320121012
(Reuters) - U.S. consumer sentiment unexpectedly rose to its highest in five years in October in the latest in a string of encouraging signs from the economy that may boost President Barack Obama's re-election hopes next month.

The Thomson Reuters/University of Michigan's preliminary October reading on the overall index on consumer sentiment came in at 83.1, up from 78.3 the month before, and the highest since September 2007, the survey showed on Friday.

The new buoyancy among consumers comes shortly after the U.S. unemployment rate tumbled to its lowest in nearly four years in September as more people returned to the workforce and found jobs than economists had predicted.

"We are getting some quite interesting signals from consumer sentiment and employment data - both (the) unemployment rate and initial claims - that there has been some quite significant improvement in the economy," said David Sloan, an economist at 4Cast in New York.

Another October Surprise from the DEM-OP MSM.

But the economy is pretty average-to-bad by most indicators. It's improving but we're still in a hole.

Actually . . . it is in pretty good by most indicators. Unemployment down, stock market up, gas prices down, consumer sentiment good, interest rates low . . . . the only issue is the weak middle class job wages. Well, that is what happens after decades of off-shoring our industry and switching to a 'service economy' of burger flippers and WalMart greeters.

benjipwns

Banned
Well, that is what happens after decades of off-shoring our industry
us-euro-industrial-2014-07.jpg

Comparative advantage.

Actually . . . it is in pretty good by most indicators. Unemployment down, stock market up, gas prices down, consumer sentiment good, interest rates low . . . . the only issue is the weak middle class job wages. Well, that is what happens after decades of off-shoring our industry and switching to a 'service economy' of burger flippers and WalMart greeters.

It's largely the European economy that's dragging the world economy down. Merkel's policies are destroying the continent.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So the Economist is telling Merkel to back off the austerity and start massively deficit spending in order to avoid deflation.

Thoughts?

Ecotic

It's largely the European economy that's dragging the world economy down. Merkel's policies are destroying the continent.

Germany actually has a negative interest rate if you can believe it, lenders are willing to pay them to borrow money and invest. It's insane it's come to that.

http://www.businessinsider.com/consumer-confidence-oct-2014-2014-10

Yet somehow Republicans are able to push a "bad economy" message. Very frustrating.

Wouldnt it be great if the democrats ran add campaigns showing how the economy of each state has fared under a GOP and Democrat governor?

"The 7 slowest growing states are led by republicans. After Wisconsin enacted the GOP playbook, their economy tanked, while neighboring Michigan is flourishing. Do you want to send more of them to Washington? VOTE KAY HAGAN"

But no, that would mean they might actually win.

So the Economist is telling Merkel to back off the austerity and start massively deficit spending in order to avoid deflation.

Thoughts?

I'm glad people are starting to realize just how vile her policies are. Germany is entering another slowdown because of lack of government spending, and remember she's in a grand coalition with SPD so there's probably a good number of people in her government urging her to abandon austerity as well.

But a deflationary spiral in Europe looks likely if she stays the course, after 2008 it seems like the leaders in Europe are more interested in preserving the integrity of existing wealth rather than creating new wealth.

Maledict

Thoughts?

They've been saying this for several years now actually. Whilst it is a centre right journal they are very much the classic free trade liberals, and not the insane anti-government USA version.

As an NC resident, I think they're GREATLY overestimating how much people care now that it's legal.

This. No on, not even hardcore Tea Partiers, outside of the evangelical wing of the GOP gives a shit about gay marriage. It isn't the issue that drives people to the polls anymore and I'm surprised how quickly Republicans caught on to that in many races this election cycle.

Hey, does anyone have any links on hand for the "US is too big/too diverse to have universal healthcare" talking point?

Just point out we could devolve the powers of the healthcare service to each individual state like the UK does with England, Wales, Scotland and NI having their own health services, while the central government provides the funding.

Oblivion

I see Boehner is channeling his inner teatard:

“Five years ago, the president of the United States went to Europe and he went to the Middle East on what I’ll call his ‘apology tour’ – apologizing for America being strong, apologizing for America leading.

“And the manifestation of that apology tour is what we see in the chaos going on around the world today. I talk to world leaders every week. They want America to lead. They’re begging America to lead. Because when America leads and America’s strong, the world is a safer place.

“When you look at this chaos that’s going on, does anybody think that Vladimir Putin would have gone into Crimea had George W. Bush been president of the United States? No! Even Putin is smart enough to know that Bush would have punched him in the nose in about 10 seconds.”

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/boehner-bush-would-have-punched-putin-the-nose

That's right, Johnny boy.

- Russia never invaded Georgia cause they were clearly worried about Bush getting mad.
- When Bush told North Korea not to pursue nuclear weapons, Kim Jong Il heard and obeyed loud and clear.
- When Bush threatened to take out Al Qaeda, Osama Bin Laden said "whoa, hold up guys, we're dealing with a real badass over here!" and stopped all terrorist operations until the coast was clear with the election of his most trustworthy disciple and life partner, Barack Obama.

I have a feeling that the comeback is going to be "but there are so many people who aren't on medicare so it wouldn't work"

you're not going to convince them then, they've made up their mind.

As much as liberals want it to be true political arguments aren't really logical and 'factual' your not going to get someone who ideology precludes something to change by being super logical

you're not going to convince them then, they've made up their mind.

As much as liberals want it to be true political arguments aren't really logical and 'factual' your not going to get someone who ideology precludes something to change by being super logical
this is someone talking with what she's heard someone else tell her, so there is hope still. she's pretty logical, just doesn't know the arguments for and against that well

Oblivion

Here's an interesting article from the NYT about comparing fast food wages in the U.S. to Denmark:

On a recent afternoon, Hampus Elofsson ended his 40-hour workweek at a Burger King and prepared for a movie and beer with friends. He had paid his rent and all his bills, stashed away some savings, yet still had money for nights out. That is because he earns the equivalent of $20 an hour - the base wage for fast-food workers throughout Denmark and two and a half times what many fast-food workers earn in the United States. "You can make a decent living here working in fast food," said Mr. Elofsson, 24. "You don't have to struggle to get by."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/28/b...ed-in-denmark-fast-food-restaurants.html?_r=1

Of course, some people disagree because freedom:

Many American economists and business groups say the comparison is deeply flawed because of fundamental differences between Denmark and the United States, including Denmark's high living costs and taxes, a generous social safety net that includes universal health care and a collective bargaining system in which employer associations and unions work together. The fast-food restaurants here are also less profitable than their American counterparts.

Not sure how much of a defense that is, considering that despite all those things, it seems the average worker is living way better than in the U.S.

Diablos

Oblivion

Just makes my blood boil. There's no reason why we can't be this way.
The way we work in this country isn't smart at all.

Well, our workers may be barely struggling to eat, but at least out job creators won't be sad.

Sounds like a fair trade off to me.

Diablos

Well, our workers may be barely struggling to eat, but at least out job creators won't be sad.

Sounds like a fair trade off to me.
We could change this country, fundamentally, in less than two years if everyone would just vote smart.
It would be so fucking easy, and that's the sad part.

Diablos

We could do that in a week.

Too bad the best we can hope for is that the crazies don't get the keys.
I was thinking more along the lines of not only the House/Senate, but the majority of Governors nationwide, reforming state politics, modernizing the constitution and changing the way Congress actually works, etc. etc. That would take some time... but we could do it.

edit: Whoa, nice selfie there pal.

I see Boehner is channeling his inner teatard:

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/boehner-bush-would-have-punched-putin-the-nose

That's right, Johnny boy.

- Russia never invaded Georgia cause they were clearly worried about Bush getting mad.
- When Bush told North Korea not to pursue nuclear weapons, Kim Jong Il heard and obeyed loud and clear.
- When Bush threatened to take out Al Qaeda, Osama Bin Laden said "whoa, hold up guys, we're dealing with a real badass over here!" and stopped all terrorist operations until the coast was clear with the election of his most trustworthy disciple and life partner, Barack Obama.
Have you noticed a pattern by now? Republicans invent their own history and sell it to the mainstream outlets, which somehow makes it to the american zeitgeist and forever dwells unchallenged. It's how Ronald Reagan invented capitalism and destroyed USSR with his own two hands, and its how George W Bush was a no nonsense pugilist that wasn't afraid of going toe to toe with the toughest foreign adversaries.

Oblivion

Guys, I need your help.

I need suggestions for a research paper topic about the modern middle east (anywhere form 1800 - the present). You're my only hope poligaf!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom