• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iolo

Since computers, basically.

People were taught to put two spaces between sentences when using typewriters because typewriter characters are monospaced (i.e., all of the characters are the same width), which generally makes the text look really uneven. Two spaces were necessary so you could actually see the end of a sentence.

This isn't a problem when typing on computers because the characters are proportional (except when using a typeface like Courier, which is intentionally monospaced). Two spaces between sentences is overkill.

Wrong Mr. BertramCooper, it's because typographically there should be more space after a sentence-ending period than interword space or after an abbreviation-ending period, such as Mr. Because unfortunately typography on the Web and in Word sucks.

(you can't see because html collapses the spaces)

^ tl;dr Opus was right.

Edit: identical space across the board is called "french spacing".

Hexa

He just holds the glass, then tosses it out when no one's looking like Bruce Wayne does.

The similarities are striking.
ZFyLX9M.jpg

Wrong Mr. BertramCooper, it's because typographically there should be more space after a sentence-ending period than interword space or after an abbreviation-ending period, such as Mr. Because unfortunately typography on the Web and in Word sucks.

(you can't see because html collapses the spaces)

^ tl;dr Opus was right.

Edit: identical space across the board is called "french spacing".

Find me a single print or online publication that still uses two spaces between sentences.

A legitimate one, that is.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Find me a single print or online publication that still uses two spaces between sentences.

A legitimate one, that is.

Pro tip: they don't exist. All of the style books call for 1 space after a period. First thing you're taught to do as a copy editor is a find/replace 2 spaces with 1 space.

Iolo

How funny that both Donald and his Dr. use the same overly exaggerated language.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/fir...ical-report-calling-his-health-extraordinary/

nyt said:
The note begins as an open letter, “To Whom My Concern,” apparently meaning, “To whom it may concern.” The email from Mr. Trump that contained the note said it was from his doctor, Jacob, which he also posted on Twitter. According to an obituary, Jacob Bornstein died in 2010; the note lists Jacob Bornstein as Mr. Trump’s previous physician.

Wonder if Trump has ever met his doctor, Harold, who he's been with since 1980.

Subtle.

If Trump is running as an independent, it means he doesn't have any legitimate chance of winning and is instead trying to play spoiler.

Which means it doesn't matter all that much if he's not on the ballot. He can still inflict plenty of damage on the GOP nominee as a write-in candidate in a handful of states.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Trump literally off the chart. Going by those numbers, Trump losing would dwarf Hillary's loss as the biggest upset in presidential polling history.

Using RCP's averages, it'd only be about tied with Hillary's loss, so at least there's that.

Trump literally off the chart. Going by those numbers, Trump losing would dwarf Hillary's loss as the biggest upset in presidential polling history.

Using RCP's averages, it'd only be about tied with Hillary's loss, so at least there's that.

Trump also has a much larger lead in the early states. By now Obama was ahead in Iowa and within the margin for error in NH. While Trump is probably 2nd in Iowa, he has huge leads in NH and SC.

PBY

Banned
Trump also has a much larger lead in the early states. By now Obama was ahead in Iowa and within the margin for error in NH. While Trump is probably 2nd in Iowa, he has huge leads in NH and SC.

Basically, I agree with Nate Silver's "but wait" views, but what is driving his lack of confidence in Trump at the moment outside of his favorability and endorsements? Is it just endorsements, because his favorability has been ticking upwards.

PBY

Banned

2 things.

A. I don't understand why climate change is a partisan issue.
B. I don't understand why people think that "minor" blips in climate change aren't significant issues that we should be examining, given that its hard to contextualize how significant the impact of even just a few ticks upward of degrees could be.

ivysaur12

Banned
2 things.

B. I don't understand why people think that "minor" blips in climate change aren't significant issues that we should be examining, given that its hard to contextualize how significant the impact of even just a few ticks upward of degrees could be.

Well, yes -- what NRO fails to understand that even minor upticks are damaging, so zooming out to this scale is one of the least useful things you could do to understand climate change.

Since we're halfway through December,anyone have quick graphs of how the race for GOP nomination looked in 2000, 2008 and 2012 around this time? RCP for some reason excludes Giuliani and 2012 contenders.

Pro tip: they don't exist. All of the style books call for 1 space after a period. First thing you're taught to do as a copy editor is a find/replace 2 spaces with 1 space.

Can also vouch for that 2 spaces nonsense not ever existing in South America, and i learned to type back when mechanical typewriters were commonplace. #bahhumbug

Best thing about that period is looking at petitions. So short. Almost always under 3 pages. Now? Copy and paste ruined the profession.

2 things.

One way you could possibly put it is that a "couple degrees" is the difference between a person feeling healthy or sick, and is the difference between whether ice remains frozen or starts to melt. A "couple degrees" can literally be what separates one physical or biological state from the next.

And as long as it's taken to get the overall temperature up, it'll be just as hard, or even harder, to bring it back down. Meaning that once we start suffering the consequences, we're going to suffer them for a person's foreseeable future.

PBY

Banned
One way you could possibly put it is that a "couple degrees" is the difference between a person feeling healthy or sick, and is the difference between whether ice remains frozen or starts to melt. A "couple degrees" can literally be what separates one physical or biological state from the next.

And as long as it's taken to get the overall temperature up, it'll be just as hard, or even harder, to bring it back down. Meaning that once we start suffering the consequences, we're going to suffer them for a person's foreseeable future.

Its just such a tough issue given that as humans, we are quantifiably terrible at calculating risks for things that impact our own selves down the road in our own lifetime. Add another generation and throw more nebulous timelines in the mix, and welp "who gives a fuck".

NeoXChaos

Its just such a tough issue given that as humans, we are quantifiably terrible at calculating risks for things that impact our own selves down the road in our own lifetime. Add another generation and throw more nebulous timelines in the mix, and welp "who gives a fuck".

guns are tough too.

I guess the Gingrich Carnival Barge was running out of steam by now.

Early December is when we started getting articles about Gingrich's woeful ground game. Around the same time an onslaught of GOP attack ads against Gingrich started going out in the early states. On Dec 24th we found out that he (along with Perry and Santorum) didn't qualify for the Virginia primary. By January, he was promising moon bases.

PBY

Banned
guns are tough too.

They shouldn't be that tough considering we have daily massacres reminding us about the real harsh consequences. The gun one is weird to me because it isn't just a data-driven point, there are real world tragedies that happen to ordinary people.

User 406

Banned
They shouldn't be that tough considering we have daily massacres reminding us about the real harsh consequences. The gun one is weird to me because it isn't just a data-driven point, there are real world tragedies that happen to ordinary people.

It's because people are terrible at calculating the actual risks of owning a gun vs. the actual risk of being attacked vs. the actual probability of being able to successfully use a gun against a surprise attacker.

Someone wanted something like this.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/14/saudi-arabia-announces-military-alliance-terrorism
Saudi Arabia has announced the formation of a 34-state Islamic military coalition to combat terrorism, according to a statement published on the state news agency, SPA.

“The countries here mentioned have decided on the formation of a military alliance led by Saudi Arabia to fight terrorism, with a joint operations centre based in Riyadh to coordinate and support military operations,” said the statement, which was released on Tuesday.

Analysis Arab states under pressure to do more in fight against Isis
Rivalry with Iran, disagreements over Syria, sectarian hatred and domestic public opinion among obstacles to deeper involvement
Read more
A long list of Arab countries such as Egypt, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates, together with Turkey, Malaysia, Pakistan and African states were named.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom