• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long-time reader here. What happened to this thread?

Went from daily Donald Trump to super-serious gun control debate.
Are you saying you aren't liking the change of topic
XSVrd78.jpg

benjipwns

Banned
Oh wait, I can agree with it. Buyers should ask many questions of the product they're to purchase and the sellers should question if the buyers truly have the necessary funds.

HyperionX

The fact that you think the NRA is such a lone powerful force makes me question the accuracy of your opinion on what "the gun community" is or isn't.

The NRA is one of the most lobbying groups in history. You sound one of those guys who think it's "too arrogant" to believe mankind can change the climate. What you're claiming is self-evidently false.

Okay, no, it doesn't. The idea that there's a singular "gun community" does. And the idea that it's massively different than public opinion writ large.

Plus the Pink Pistols or Second Amendment Foundation are way cooler than those stuffed shirts at the NRA.

Of course it's not a singular movement. No group in history ever was. But still, last I checked, nothing has changed on the Federal level when it comes to gun control. Something that is only possible when gun owners are complicit with the NRA's position. That makes ordinary gun owners part of the problem.

Sianos

By threatening criminal punishment at the point of a gun right?

It wasn't. Read Section 2 of the 21st Amendment. Or drive around Kentucky.

The what now?

You can't ban it, the tax revenue is too important.
From the phone in bed:

1. No, that would be disproportionate punishment. I would say an appropriate punishment would be a fine if no harm was done and in the case of the negligence leading to avoidable death, a charge of criminal negligence similar to that which would incurred by a parent leaving their child in a hot car is reasonable for this case.

2. I think that still proves my point to an extent: the federal government has not banned alcohol (they undid their ban), but private companies and states are allowed to ban it if that is what the company owner or majority of citizens of the state set forth. I personally disagree with states banning alcohol for pragmatic reasons similar to why an outright gun ban is not an effective solution, but it's late and that's another tangent.

3. http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/secondhand_smoke/health_effects/

There are of course studies showing contrary results, but admittedly I don't have the time right now to analyze their methodology and if there is a vested interest on the part of the group organizing those contrary studies to portray the results in a manner that makes second-hand smoke seem healthier than unskewed data or methodology demonstrates. This is not to say that possible vested interest means that the studies are definitely doctored, but it does mean we have to carefully judge the evidence. Again, my apologies for the time constraint on my part.

4. Indeed, which is why I'm not for an outright ban.

I need sleep, I'll check for a response when I can though.

benjipwns

Banned
The NRA is one of the most lobbying groups in history.
So what?

But still, last I checked, nothing has changed on the Federal level when it comes to gun control. Something that is only possible when gun owners are complicit with the NRA's position. That makes ordinary gun owners part of the problem.
Compared to when? There are thousands of federal gun restrictions on the books. Even more at the state and local levels.

1988-1994 was a massive wave of federal legislation restricting personal protection rights. And what more could they constitutionally pass after Heller and McDonald?

. I would say an appropriate punishment would be a fine if no harm was done
Nobody was harmed, so someone should be punished.

I think that still proves my point to an extent: the federal government has not banned alcohol (they undid their ban)
They never did. They banned the importation and sale, something they still place heavy controls on. The federal government just no longer has all the powers it had under the 18th to completely restrict the importation and sale of alcohol.

The drinking age of 21 being a perfect example of federal meddling in alcohol law still. (And banning it for anyone under 21.)

And we won't even get started on the other things they prohibit without a Constitutional Amendment. And even better make it illegal to research or advocate for the decriminalization of substances.

The NRA is one of the most lobbying groups in history. You sound one of those guys who think it's "too arrogant" to believe mankind can change the climate. What you're claiming is self-evidently false.

Of course it's not a singular movement. No group in history ever was. But still, last I checked, nothing has changed on the Federal level when it comes to gun control. Something that is only possible when gun owners are complicit with the NRA's position. That makes ordinary gun owners part of the problem.

Complete bullshit. Most people aren't members and aren't complicit in NRA positions. The word complicit implies direct involvement. Politicians ... That's another story.

Your assertion that not protesting the NRA means non member gun owners are part of the problem is bullshit too. The individual who didn't protest chick fil a wasn't part of the homophobia problem. I'm not even gonna condemn the individual who didn't boycott chick fil a. Something 95% of gun owners do with the NRA.

HyperionX

That makes them the guys in charge. Since few gun owners stand up against them, that makes the majority of gun owners part of the problem.

Compared to when? There are thousands of federal gun restrictions on the books. Even more at the state and local levels.

1988-1994 was a massive wave of federal legislation restricting personal protection rights. And what more could they constitutionally pass after Heller and McDonald?

And yet we still have a mass shooting every day on average. The number of laws is irrelevant when the teeth of enforcement is not there.

Most of the laws were either repealed or watered down to the point of being useless. Furthermore, calling them "personal protection rights" is a massive part of the NRA propaganda. Defense guns uses are largely a myth, and actually less common than accidentally shootings. Seriously you're stuck in 2010 when these arguments are actually considered valid.

The Heller and McDonald was a hugely partisan 5-4 decision. It should not be seen as something that will hold up in future decisions. Still, I've advocated the repeal of the second amendment as an alternative solution. It's a right that simply should not exist.

benjipwns

Banned
And yet we still have a mass shooting every day on average. The number of laws is irrelevant when the teeth of enforcement is not there.
Why won't the government enforce murder laws? Seems like a failed state.

The Heller and McDonald was a hugely partisan 5-4 decision.
oh nooooooooo not that

It's a right that simply should not exist.
Until citizens start protesting authoritarians who want to eliminate certain rights, I'm holding them culpable for all our rights violations.

HyperionX

Complete bullshit. Most people aren't members and aren't complicit in NRA positions. The word complicit implies direct involvement. Politicians ... That's another story.

There's been a huge increase in the support of gun rights relative to the past. As well as the belief that guns are useful in self-defense (they're not FYI). I'd say complicit is the correct word to describe it.

Your assertion that not protesting the NRA means non member gun owners are part of the problem is bullshit too. The individual who didn't protest chick fil a wasn't part of the homophobia problem. I'm not even gonna condemn the individual who didn't boycott chick fil a. Something 95% of gun owners do with the NRA.

Chick-fil-a saw a huge amount of protests from its existing customer base, even if its not everyone. I'm not saying everyone has to protest in a public manner, just enough to make it clear that there's real disagreement on an issue. Something I've yet to see gun owners do. Also, Chick-fil-a not a particular influential organization on the issue of gay marriage in the same way the NRA is on gun control. A better analogy would be homophobic pastors and churches. Churchgoers that were didn't do anything in response to that kind of rhetoric really were part of the problem.

HyperionX

Why won't the government enforce murder laws? Seems like a failed state.

The US is not a failed state.

oh nooooooooo not that

It was made on partisan lines regardless, and narrowly. These tend not to last the test of time. That's true regardless of whether they were liberal or conservative ones.

Until citizens start protesting authoritarians who want to eliminate certain rights, I'm holding them culpable for all our rights violations.

That's some strawman position there bud.

benjipwns

Banned
There's been a huge increase in the support of gun rights relative to the past.
You say this like it's a bad thing. There's been a huge increase in the support of gay rights relative to the past! *crowd gasps* *a woman in the back faints*

Sometimes liberal progress is actually made despite our best efforts otherwise.

The US is not a failed state.
But it's not enforcing its murder laws enough to stop murders from happening every day.

That's some strawman position there bud.
You're the one who said they wanted to strip people of their human rights.

And it's true,
6-10-13-4.png

They're all culpable!

There's been a huge increase in the support of gun rights relative to the past. As well as the belief that guns are useful in self-defense (they're not FYI). I'd say complicit is the correct word to describe it.

Politics. A black president was taking their guns. You would have a better time arguing complicit behavior by by condemning republicans.

I don't own a gun for self protection.

Chick-fil-a saw a huge amount of protests from its existing customer base, even if its not everyone. I'm not saying everyone has to protest in a public manner, just enough to make it clear that there's real disagreement on an issue. Something I've yet to see gun owners do. Also, Chick-fil-a not a particular influential organization on the issue of gay marriage in the same way the NRA is on gun control. A better analogy would be homophobic pastors and churches. Churchgoers that were didn't do anything in response to that kind of rhetoric really were part of the problem

My point was largely about the protesting angle. It's ridiculous to assume that if one doesn't protest they're part of the problem. We don't even assume that for people who refuse to boycott.

I vote straight dem down the line and have been doing so for quite some time now. I don't give NRA any money either. I'm also for reasonable gun control measures and have argued for such here and elsewhere.

Stop painting with such a broad brush.

HyperionX

Now I wonder how he feels about Obergefell.

That was not a partisan decision though. Still, at a 5-4 decision it's going to be one more conservative justice from flipping anyways.

Also, we can discuss whether something should be or not be allowed outside of the Supreme Court decision. It was pointing out the fallacy of deferring purely to court decisions on these matters.

HyperionX

You say this like it's a bad thing. There's been a huge increase in the support of gay rights relative to the past! *crowd gasps* *a woman in the back faints*

Sometimes liberal progress is actually made despite our best efforts otherwise.

There's a fundamental different between gay rights and gun rights. It is straightforward to argue that gay rights is a form of improving equality among everyone, whereas gun rights is more of a reactionary movement that harms society. Case in point, you pretty much ignored the part where I said defense gun use is a myth. This shows that one of the major fallacies behind gun rights as being a real right.

But it's not enforcing its murder laws enough to stop murders from happening every day.

We can greatly reduce murders by reducing or eliminating guns from society. That's largely is the point of this discussion.

You're the one who said they wanted to strip people of their human rights.

You're using the language of rights to defend something that positively isn't one. It's similar to the tactic of calling for "State's rights" to defend slavery in the past. In reality, it is defending something that actually exists to take someone else's rights away.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
That was not a partisan decision though. Still, at a 5-4 decision it's going to be one more conservative justice from flipping anyways.

Also, we can discuss whether something should be or not be allowed outside of the Supreme Court decision. It was pointing out the fallacy of deferring purely to court decisions on these matters.

Kennedy's pretty much a wildcard at this point. Regardless, it is now established constitutional law that individuals have a right to keep and bear arms. That means a lot to most Americans, and probably helps explain why opposition to gun control laws (at least in general) continues trending upward.

benjipwns

Banned
There's a fundamental different between gay rights and gun rights. It is straightforward to argue that gay rights is a form of improving equality among everyone, whereas gun rights is more of a reactionary movement that harms society. Case in point, you pretty much ignored the part where I said defense gun use is a myth. This shows that one of the major fallacies behind gun rights as being a real right.

You're using the language of rights to defend something that positively isn't one. It's similar to the tactic of calling for "State's rights" to defend slavery in the past. In reality, it is defending something that actually exists to take someone else's rights away.
As required for basic rights theory still it seems:

Alone on an island can I be gay? Yes, if I choose to be.
Alone on an island can I build and use a gun? Yes, if I'm born that way.

Is anyone harmed in either case except myself from vigorous masturbation in both cases? No.

Both are blatantly human rights.

benjipwns

Banned
http://www.reviewjournal.com/business/millions-the-red-nevada-obamacare-insurer-has-failed
Nevada's health insurance exchange is losing its only locally based carrier.

Nevada Health CO-OP, a nonprofit insurer created by the Affordable Care Act and federally funded to offer health coverage through the Nevada Health Link marketplace, said Wednesday that it cannot make enough money to stay in business after Jan. 1.

Co-op CEO Pam Egan said a second year of high claims costs and limited growth projections for enrollment made it "clear" the insurer would have a hard time providing "quality care at reasonable rates" in 2016.

"(Nevada Health CO-OP) is working responsibly and proactively with the Nevada Division of Insurance and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services to ensure that we meet all deadlines and fulfill obligations to our current members," Egan said.

The nonprofit said members' policies will stay in effect through Dec. 31, and it is committed to fulfilling obligations to enrollees. It also said it will continue paying broker commissions.

Observers say the co-op, as idealistic as its origins were, could not survive market realities amid early troubles with doctor networks, reimbursements, off-exchange coverage and administrative costs. The co-op's failure is something of a blow to the state's competitive landscape, and it's unclear if it can repay $65.9 million in federal loans it received for its 2012 launch.
Nevada Health CO-OP had more than a third of the market in the 2013 enrollment period, beating out big, publicly traded competitors UnitedHealth Group and Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield.

But the market balanced out in 2014 and 2015, and the co-op slipped out of the top spot. Recent financial statements show it struggling to make money.

The nonprofit reported a $19.3 million operating loss in 2014, and a $3.5 million first-quarter loss through March, according to Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services records. From January through June, it lost $22.7 million.
Gilbert also said the co-op was worth a try, despite its failure.

"Innovation is good. It's not always successful, but it's good," he said. "It's not easy to put together an insurance company under the best of circumstances, but the exchange appreciates the attempt."

That attempt may now cost taxpayers.

The co-op's federal loans — one with a five-year term; the other 15 years — went mostly to the Nevada Division of Insurance to ensure the organization could pay its claims. Profits to repay those loans have yet to materialize.

The state Division of Insurance didn't respond to a request for additional comment by press time Wednesday, so it's unclear if any money will be left after outstanding claims are paid.

Nevada Health CO-OP is the fourth co-op nationally to fail.

Louisiana's Health Cooperative closed in July after suffering a net operating loss of more than $20 million.

Iowa's CoOpportunity Health closed in January, after a sicker-than-average customer base took a financial toll despite $145 million in federal loans.

A co-op in Vermont was shuttered in 2013, before it even began selling plans.

Nevada Health CO-OP may not be the last of it. The inspector general found that 22 of 23 co-ops lost money in 2014, with Maine the exception. The federal government lent $2.4 billion to start co-ops nationwide.
If only federal subsidies weren't able to be used in federally-operated exchanges!

HyperionX

Politics. A black president was taking their guns. You would have a better time arguing complicit behavior by by condemning republicans.

I do that too. And a lot of gun owners as well. Actually, there's a huge amount of overlap between the two groups.

I don't own a gun for self protection.

Good. We can at least agree on that (that guns are nearly useless for self-protection).

My point was largely about the protesting angle. It's ridiculous to assume that if one doesn't protest they're part of the problem. We don't even assume that for people who refuse to boycott.

I vote straight dem down the line and have been doing so for quite some time now. I don't give NRA any money either. I'm also for reasonable gun control measures and have argued for such here and elsewhere.

Stop painting with such a broad brush.

If you genuinely advocate for real reforms in gun laws and don't vote for pro-gun candidates, then I don't consider you part of the problem. Like I said, even online protests is enough in my eyes to be considered a protest against them. It's about letting the NRA and other groups at least know that there's real disagreement here, which something that hasn't really happened. Anyway that happens, protests, boycotts, etc., is all I want. Seriously, it's about create the notion that the NRA doesn't speak for them. Sadly, that's a pretty tiny minority so far.

As required for basic rights theory still it seems:

Alone on an island can I be gay? Yes, if I choose to be.
Alone on an island can I build and use a gun? Yes, if I'm born that way.

Is anyone harmed in either case except myself from vigorous masturbation in both cases? No.

Both are blatantly human rights.

You don't live on an island though. In the real world, gay rights do zero harm, gun rights kills tens of thousands.

Kennedy's pretty much a wildcard at this point. Regardless, it is now established constitutional law that individuals have a right to keep and bear arms. That means a lot to most Americans, and probably helps explain why opposition to gun control laws (at least in general) continues trending upward.

Emphasis on the word "now." Of course, no gun control advocates huge changes anytime soon. But the thing is, look at the state of gun rights globally; it is clearly not a right at all. And that includes many Westernized nations that we considered more advanced socially that America. And the US experiences far more gun violence than those nations. Indeed, they look at us with shock and disdain when it comes to this subject.

That leads me to believe the chances that gun rights will stand test of time is precisely zero percent. It's akin to how the US banned slavery decades after all the countries in Europe did it. It just means the US is lagging the rest of the world on realizing an obvious truth.

benjipwns

Banned
You don't live on an island though. In the real world, gay rights do zero harm, gun rights kills tens of thousands.
This is gibberish. Gun rights literally can't harm anyone. Actions are required for harm. Actions that violate the rights of others.

When you add another person to that island, their rights are not being violated by you being gay or having a gun. Not even the combination violates their rights.

But the thing is, look at the state of gun rights globally; it is clearly not a right at all.
Look at the state of free speech globally, it is clearly not a right at all.
Look at the state of gay marriage globally, it is clearly not a right at all.
Look at the state of voting globally, it is clearly not a right at all.

Aha! Gotcha on the last one, it's not!

And the US experiences far more gun violence than those nations.
The US experiences far more violence. Period.

It's the culture, not the totems some think have mystical powers.

ivysaur12

Banned

I don't think the vast majority of Americans know that and you're overestimating the mindfulness the public plays the court. Even surface-level supporters of an expansive reading of the 2nd Amendment are probably not aware to what Heller meant.

Heller has not entered our lexicon the same way Roe or Citizens United has (and the latter is more of a liberal awareness the same way "KOCH BROTHERS!" is than one that is more widely known by the general population).

I don't think Heller has anything to do with people's beliefs on gun policy.

This is gibberish. Gun rights literally can't harm anyone. Actions are required for harm. Actions that violate the rights of others.

Do you think it's okay for every person to have their own personal nuclear warhead?

benjipwns

Banned
Do you think it's okay for every person to have their own personal nuclear warhead?
If they can afford it.

They can't because the insurance required in the event of use would be impossible to afford.

And Bill Gates already has thousands of them because they run on Windows CE.

I would never call the poor shopkeep a tyrant. Store policy is his own to set.

HyperionX

When you add another person to that island, their rights are not being violated by you being gay or having a gun. Not even the combination violates their rights.

Your defense of gun rights is very similar to the defense of Jim Crow laws. Just because there needs to be a human involved action for there to be an actual violation of rights, doesn't mean that the concept itself is designed to massively increases the chances that a rights violation. Adding a gun to group of people will dramatic increase the likelihood of violence in that community as numerous studies have shown.

Look at the state of free speech globally, it is clearly not a right at all.
Look at the state of gay marriage globally, it is clearly not a right at all.
Look at the state of voting globally, it is clearly not a right at all.

Aha! Gotcha on the last one, it's not!

I don't know what you're talking about here. Free speech and voting rights are part of the UN universal declaration of human rights and is enshrined in the constitution or its equivalence in nearly all developed nations. Gay marriages is slightly different, but its also a very recent phenomenon. Gun rights are radically different and is not enshrined in anything other than the US constitution.

The US experiences far more violence. Period.

It should not be. We are one of the most developed nations on Earth with one of the highest standards of living on Earth. This should not be the case, and guns are clearly a very large reason for this. It's not the only reason, obviously, but it is probably the biggest.

It's the culture, not the totems some think have mystical powers.

Are you going to blame "black culture" for the high levels of violence in the black community next? This is a very disingenuous argument to make.

benjipwns

Banned
Your defense of gun rights is very similar to the defense of Jim Crow laws.
Priceless.

I don't know what you're talking about here. Free speech and voting rights are part of the UN universal declaration of human rights
So you're countering your own argument by pointing to one document protecting those rights?

It's not the only reason, obviously, but it is probably the biggest.

Are you going to blame "black culture" for the high levels of violence in the black community next? This is a very disingenuous argument to make.
It's not, and I'm not. They're the same reason. And the biggest reason.

State violence.

Okay, you all know I had to phrase it that way first.

But essentially, the drug war and its extended arms. Dispute resolution in black markets cannot be taken to regular courts and is doled out by people who are drawn to...criminal acts. As thus, violence proliferates within the system rather than non-violence, as non-violent dispute resolution is not an option as the primary force within the market is only a violent actor (the state) and to maintain share the violence trickles down. As members of the underclasses are shuffled in and out of prison, and blocked from their rights and privileges by the state, they and their kin are pushed out of the now entirely separate "legal" class culture into one that exacerbates the problem but is also contained off and away enough so as to only boogeyman the higher class from time to time.

This same process works abroad.

Laws only "stop" those who obey them. If the risk of crossing the state is too low, people will ignore them. If the risk of crossing the state is less than the risk of crossing non-state actors, people will ignore them.

The United States and Mexico are two of the largest spending corporations on the drug wars and they're also two of the largest areas in terms of drug and violence proliferation. Clearly more laws and more law enforcement and more punishment are needed.

Russia is a unique and interesting case where they experimented with turning over all enterprises to politically connected violent warlords who were allowed to skirt the law and seeing if it made them non-violent and law abiding.

benjipwns

Banned
It should also be noted that the only way to reduce gun ownership in the United States would require a massive and violent undertaking by the federal government to seize the weapons.

It will certainly not lead to fewer gun-related homicides.

Trouble

Banned
It should also be noted that the only way to reduce gun ownership in the United States would require a massive and violent undertaking by the federal government to seize the weapons.

I like Chris Rock's $5,000 per bullet plan. You gotta be really angry to kill someone with a gun if it's going to set you back five large.

Probably won't work so well since people have been hoarding bullets since Obama got elected, though.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Why is Rubio second? Cruz is ahead of Rubio in fundraising, is much more popular with the base, and is ahead in the polls, yet he's #6. And who expects Kaisich (currently #5) to get the nomination ? He's running for VP at best.

Most people are working under the assumption that at some point the republican establishment will somehow take control of their base and get them to vote for the person they want to win, and the person they want to win is the person that has the best chance in the general. It was basically how the 2008 and 2012 primaries went, so I guess they expect 2016 to go the same way.

Rubio and Kasich are both good guesses if you're going with that theory, since Walker and Bush have proven to be terrible candidates who will likely be destroyed by Clinton, and those are the logical next two choices.

I'm just not at all convinced that the establishment has that level of control anymore. People joke about how Cain lead for a while in 2012 as proof that the establishment always wins in the end, but doesn't that just show how extremely weak the establishment's position was for most of the election? In my view Cruz and Trump are both far stronger than all of the anti-establishment challengers of 2008 and 2012, and in some respects the establishment picks are actually weaker than Romney was.

HyperionX

Priceless.

Are defending your position or conceding it?

So you're countering your own argument by pointing to one document protecting those rights?

It's ratified by numerous countries, which also affirms them in their own constitution. It's not just one document in that sense.

It's not, and I'm not. They're the same reason. And the biggest reason.

State violence.

Okay, you all know I had to phrase it that way first.

But essentially, the drug war and its extended arms. Dispute resolution in black markets cannot be taken to regular courts and is doled out by people who are drawn to...criminal acts. As thus, violence proliferates within the system rather than non-violence, as non-violent dispute resolution is not an option as the primary force within the market is only a violent actor (the state) and to maintain share the violence trickles down. As members of the underclasses are shuffled in and out of prison, and blocked from their rights and privileges by the state, they and their kin are pushed out of the now entirely separate "legal" class culture into one that exacerbates the problem but is also contained off and away enough so as to only boogeyman the higher class from time to time.

This same process works abroad.

Laws only "stop" those who obey them. If the risk of crossing the state is too low, people will ignore them. If the risk of crossing the state is less than the risk of crossing non-state actors, people will ignore them.

The United States and Mexico are two of the largest spending corporations on the drug wars and they're also two of the largest areas in terms of drug and violence proliferation. Clearly more laws and more law enforcement and more punishment are needed.

Russia is a unique and interesting case where they experimented with turning over all enterprises to politically connected violent warlords who were allowed to skirt the law and seeing if it made them non-violent and law abiding.

Sounds like another one of those excuses again (mental health! gang violence! drugs!). Not saying it can't true, but studies show pretty clearly it's probably the guns: http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/abs/10.2105/AJPH.2013.301409?journalCode=ajph

That isn't what the science shows either: http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/10.2105/AJPH.2015.302703

benjipwns

Banned
I like Chris Rock's $5,000 per bullet plan. You gotta be really angry to kill someone with a gun if it's going to set you back five large.

Probably won't work so well since people have been hoarding bullets since Obama got elected, though.
Plus it's not all that expensive or complicated to manufacture your own bullets.

Or guns themselves really.

Are defending your position or conceding it?
Neither, just amused by the insane comparison.

It's ratified by numerous countries, which also affirms them in their own constitution. It's not just one document in that sense.
But still, if you look globally, in the real world, rather than just on paper...

Sounds like another one of those excuses again (mental health! gang violence! drugs!). Not saying it can't true, but studies show pretty clearly it's probably the guns: http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/abs/10.2105/AJPH.2013.301409?journalCode=ajph
Believing that magical totems cause all our problems sounds like an excuse to avoid addressing violence.

That study doesn't show shit:
Although we could not determine causation

It correlates three variables, and poorly. If you use homicides in general or even non-gun homicides you get the same correlation within acceptable bounds. It also works so that if you increase suicides it increases homicides.

Violence, especially as doled out by the state through the drug war or not, is a much simpler and much more addressable cause (theoretically, in a democracy, theoretically) than the belief that a massive violent seizure of weapons and ammunition will decrease violence.

You know where's great examples of less violent states? All those less violent states everyone always points to. I think the U.S. should copy them in pulling back on the large scale state violence before they copy them on violating citizens rights.

EDIT:
Connecticut didn't seize the existing weapons and ammunition of owners.

benjipwns

Banned
Most people are working under the assumption that at some point the republican establishment will somehow take control of their base and get them to vote for the person they want to win, and the person they want to win is the person that has the best chance in the general. It was basically how the 2008 and 2012 primaries went, so I guess they expect 2016 to go the same way.

Rubio and Kasich are both good guesses if you're going with that theory, since Walker and Bush have proven to be terrible candidates who will likely be destroyed by Clinton, and those are the logical next two choices.

I'm just not at all convinced that the establishment has that level of control anymore. People joke about how Cain lead for a while in 2012 as proof that the establishment always wins in the end, but doesn't that just show how extremely weak the establishment's position was for most of the election? In my view Cruz and Trump are both far stronger than all of the anti-establishment challengers of 2008 and 2012, and in some respects the establishment picks are actually weaker than Romney was.
The real question is...is there still a GOP Establishment as we knew it?

The Democrats last one was vaporized in 1968. The "establishment" flopped between Congressional powers, the "progressives" and the DLC wing for the next forty years. The winner was none of them, it was the Clintons.

The old GOP hands are gone, dead, shunted off to undisclosed locations or getting knocked around by Tea Party types. Even the modern "old hands" are from the 1994 Revolution or later. Rick fucking Santorum is an "old hand" Establishment GOPer compared to the field.

We're making an assumption that the strongest power in the GOP Coalition, and thus The Establishment, is the old more moderate, business first focused wing that traces back to Nixon. It may not be the case.

Maybe the Michael Savage borders, language, culture wing is The Establishment, with Trump as their embodiment within a business figure being the tie to the old ways.

Or maybe these are just things we come up with to lie to ourselves about the legitimacy of the state.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The real question is...is there still a GOP Establishment as we knew it?

The Democrats last one was vaporized in 1968. The "establishment" flopped between Congressional powers, the "progressives" and the DLC wing for the next forty years. The winner was none of them, it was the Clintons.

The old GOP hands are gone, dead, shunted off to undisclosed locations or getting knocked around by Tea Party types. Even the modern "old hands" are from the 1994 Revolution or later. Rick fucking Santorum is an "old hand" Establishment GOPer compared to the field.

We're making an assumption that the strongest power in the GOP Coalition, and thus The Establishment, is the old more moderate, business first focused wing that traces back to Nixon. It may not be the case.

Maybe the Michael Savage borders, language, culture wing is The Establishment, with Trump as their embodiment within a business figure being the tie to the old ways.

Or maybe these are just things we come up with to lie to ourselves about the legitimacy of the state.

You say all this as if the state were legitimate in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom