• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, they made it seem like there was this dramatic downturn in the tech sector. I hope SOMEBODY brings it up significantly though. Everyone's walking on egg shells besides trump it seems.

I also hope somebody calls her out on the "it was a massive downturn" if she tries to paint the last 7 years as some sort of Obama failure. Like, does she extend that thinking to his record? In which case she should consider him the best President for the economy ever.

He's a liberal now

Did I tell you all abut the 1984 Reagan Rally I attended, and how the local campaign people gave us Reagan signs to hold up to block line of sight to the protesters?

Or the essay I won a couple of hundred bucks for writing, about how to dismantle unions?

Yeah, my views are different now.

RDreamer

Did I tell you all abut the 1984 Reagan Rally I attended, and how the local campaign people gave us Reagan signs to hold up to block line of sight to the protesters?

Or the essay I won a couple of hundred bucks for writing, about how to dismantle unions?

Yeah, my views are different now.

Ah, youth...

I remember vehemently arguing against same sex marriage on forums much like this when I was young!

I also voted for Bush my first time voting :(

ivysaur12

Banned
The first political rally I ever went to was a Bush rally in '99. My grandmother's brother was the GOP speaker of the house in Connecticut. People change.

NeoXChaos

The first political rally I ever went to was a Bush rally in '99. My grandmother's brother was the GOP speaker of the house in Connecticut. People change.

Did not know you have political blood in family. I promised Aaron if he ran for anything I would be his staffer. Maybe you might make the jump first and I can readjust the situation. If you get the spark to do it one day lol.

"If more of our voters show up, we win" is not an "approach to a solution". It's a tautology. Why are you ignoring the fact that Obama said the same things? Why was his identical "approach to a solution" not successful? Why would you expect Bernie's version to be? Has there ever even been a candidate that didn't emphasize turnout, and didn't endorse downticket allies? Why do you want something so obvious to somehow be new and unique? Are you even reading other peoples' responses?

The last political revolution in this country was when the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was signed, and the Dixiecrats abandoned the Democratic party, causing a complete realignment of the political axis.

You seem to be conflating political success with revolution. Furthermore, you just can't seem to let go of the desire for Bernie to somehow be doing something special, new, and untried, when he really, really isn't. He's a good candidate. I'm voting for him in the primary. But he is in no way unique in history. You are getting caught up in a cult of personality driven by those very same intransigent voters who have more idealism than political knowledge or experience, who don't vote downticket, who don't vote in midterms, who complain that both sides are the same and vote third party unless some rockstar candidate shows up, who they are inevitably disappointed in and criticize when they don't get all their idealistic fantasies fulfilled. These people are there to make themselves feel good for joining in with a perceived righteous cause where everyone cheers at the end of the movie, instead of really examining and undergoing the work of governing their country. They are entertaining themselves. Governance is work.

If you want to continue trying to assert the existence of some nebulous "revolution" with further semantic quibbling, please don't.

Seems like, for whatever reason, you don't want to play ball. I merely asked you to entertain a hypothetical. It was a thought experiment, and you've gone off the deep end and assumed that I've drank the kool-aid and believe Bernie is going to change the world.

Anyway, I think Bernie's express and overt villainizing of the government and congress is enough to set him apart. Anyone can say "support me in the long term", but there has to be incentive, and I believe that's the unique angle that Bernie is coming from. The Oligarchy and special interests groups are a real and tangible source of corruption of our government and Bernie has openly and publicly declared himself and his supporters to be their adversary. Asserting to change how politics will influence the governing of this country at the fundamental level is NOT a tried and true methodology, and most politicians have just accepted the status quo, doing what little they can to effectively change policy. It is that pivotal distinction that makes his need for post-election support much more necessary and significant than most candidates asking for post-election support.

None of this matters anyway, because it's not like I'm saying that these things are going to happen, or are even likely to happen. I was simply interested in knowing, hypothetically, at what point would you consider his efforts revolutionary. You refused to answer the question.

And I'm not conflating political success with revolution. However, I don't think they have to be mutually exclusive. I don't see how you could say with a straight face that if we had our government completely restructured to the point where we could have, for instance, candidates running for president via publicly funded elections instead of Super PACs, that it wouldn't be revolutionary. And who knows, maybe you would say that was revolutionary, but I wouldn't know because you didn't want to play ball.

I don't know what crawled up your ass and has got you so stuck on your talking points that you couldn't even entertain a hypothetical situation in which Bernie could do something revolutionary for this country, but it's not even that serious.

Anyway, this is an utterly pointless discussion at this point. Hopefully PoliGAF can amuse me with something actually worth talking about, as I'm already bored still talking about this.

RDreamer

You and me both buddy :( Did both of those things when I was younger.

Around that election though was where I was starting to slide into being more liberal. I suppose because that's about when it started to matter, so I started to look into things. My ultimate reason or voting Bush over Kerry was so stupid, though. I knew Bush screwed things up, but I didn't think it was right letting someone so profoundly against what Bush had done in to try and clean it up. I thought things would go more smoothly to have Bush continue on with the plan rather than switching gears half way and pulling out of Iraq quickly.

Drakeon

Around that election though was where I was starting to slide into being more liberal. I suppose because that's about when it started to matter, so I started to look into things. My ultimate reason or voting Bush over Kerry was so stupid, though. I knew Bush screwed things up, but I didn't think it was right letting someone so profoundly against what Bush had done in to try and clean it up. I thought things would go more smoothly to have Bush continue on with the plan rather than switching gears half way and pulling out of Iraq quickly.

I didn't come around until 2006-2007. Registered democrat to vote for Obama in the primary and never looked back. Came around to same sex marriage because I had a buddy who was gay and I think that's what started to change everything for me. That and Obama is a hell of a charismatic guy who convinced me he was the best guy for the job.

RDreamer

I didn't come around until 2006-2007. Registered democrat to vote for Obama in the primary and never looked back. Came around to same sex marriage because I had a buddy who was gay and I think that's what started to change everything for me. That and Obama is a hell of a charismatic guy who convinced me he was the best guy for the job.

I was weird on same sex marriage for a while. Like, I didn't care about gay relationships or anything like that, I just thought that complaining for marriage was stupid for some reason. For a while I did think they should get the same rights via civil unions. Then I think I was more for abolishing marriage as a state institution and really just thought civil unions should be for everyone instead.

Realistically it was forums like these and getting called on my bullshit all the time that made me change over that period of time between 2004 and 2008. By 2008 I was probably a bit more liberal, though I still kind of thought there was two sides to everything. One of those both sides are the same sorts. I thought McCain had some good qualities, and actually liked that he had more experience back then. It wasn't really until he tapped Palin that I bailed the fuck out hard. That was around the time I really started researching a lot more and I think my trajectory really went quickly toward liberalism. By the time the election actually came about I was so firmly in Obama's camp it was ridiculous. When he won I was fucking beaming with happiness naively thinking that my generation had done something big, and younger people were now in charge!

Yeah, lol.

Oh, I also remembered one funny thing about when I was younger. Since I was conservative obviously people would say I had some fucking racist stances (and I did). My retort for a while was no way, because I would have totally supported Alan Keyes during his run for presidency! I remember both me and my dad loving that guy back then.

User 406

Banned
I wasn't politically engaged during the 1988 election, but in '92 I voted for Clinton, I've voted Democratic ever since.

I do remember when Carter beat Ford, and I was a little disappointed because Ford looked serious and also was named after a car.

I voted for Dukakis in my first election. I didn't identify as liberal until the 2000s, but I All of the mess of the back half of the Reagan years turned me off the GOP, and it's gotten worse since then.

NeoXChaos

I voted for Dukakis in my first election. I didn't identify as liberal until the 2000s, but I All of the mess of the back half of the Reagan years turned me off the GOP, and it's gotten worse since then.

I wasn't politically engaged during the 1988 election, but in '92 I voted for Clinton, I've voted Democratic ever since.

I do remember when Carter beat Ford, and I was a little disappointed because Ford looked serious and also was named after a car.

Did Congress work back then? Was the fever pitch in polarization hit when Clinton lost Congress or when Obama was elected?

I'm kind of embarrassed to say that my first vote was for Arnold Schwarzennegger in the CA recall election. Fuck Gray Davis though.

My first vote was for Bill Clinton in '96.
(although I'd wanted Paul Simon in '88 & '92. Yes, I was at one time an idealist, too.)

Graceland is a pretty classic album, though his best stuff was with Garfunkel.

User 406

Banned
Did Congress work back then? Was the fever pitch in polarization hit when Clinton lost Congress?

It worked a damn sight better than it does now, but that's when Gingrich fucked everything up and started the whole polarization mess.

Also, a big thing at the time was the rise of conservative TV and radio shows like The Morton Downey Jr. Show and Rush Limbaugh, which really helped with the whole conservative revolution whipping the Republican base into a frenzy. I remember seeing some of that stuff on cable and thinking how ugly it all seemed, people shouting and insulting each other. It was like pro wrestling with suits. It was all downhill from there. :p

User1608

Banned
Pretty cool to know about your political beliefs changing over time, guys. I'll share my mini-timeline; I was a conservative catholic up until 2006, moderate up until 2009, then I finally became very liberal at that point. Glad things turned out the way they did in regards to my situation changing my beliefs. I was a selfish mofo.:p Hopefully one day I get to join in on the election fun!

Manky has it.

It's also worth noting that Congress "worked" in the sense that it mainly brought home pork for districts in exchange for votes on other matters. Nowadays, that pork is pretty much locked in, so there's no basic deal in place.

I'm not sure if that's moving forward or backward, but it certainly isn't in an operational state now.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
My first vote was for Al Gore, 2000. Though I was a big fan of Clinton from '92 on. The Democratic party has been the 'cool' party since before I can recall.

Personally, I grew up in a household where my dad was hardcore republican (not that he'd ever admit it, he claims to be independent to this day), and my mom was a flaming liberal. I took more after her, thank god (though I'll admit that I'm not as liberal as a lot of people here, especially when it comes to foreign policy). Was too young to vote in 2008, but I've gone straight D down the ticket ever since.

HJsp43k.jpg

9pBSk6F.jpg

Posted by SomePeopleSayThatCucumbersTasteBetterPickled:
The face you make when you know better how to run people's lives than they do, but pesky things like liberty and freedom obstruct you.
Which prompted this reply from Muppetwarior:
you sound like a man that doesn't like sucking bernie dick. that don't fly around here.
Lololololol

Bernie, hair comb... ever heard of one? Jesus the man needs to work on his appearance. Truly unkempt. You're running for president for God's sake!

Bernie, hair comb... ever heard of one? Jesus the man needs to work on his appearance. Truly unkempt. You're running for president for God's sake!

Won't fix it. Needs hair spray or mousse.

Or he could just trim it really short.

I've no idea why he keeps it like that. Gotta be on purpose. Guess it might help get outsider cred or whatever.

but I thought commenting on a candidate's attire or appearance is out of bounds

And who would be silly enough to propose that in the year of Trump?

dramatis

You guys are all old farts.

My dad voted for Bill Clinton in 1997. I was in the voting booth but I was too young to figure out the levers.

Never had a conservative phase. Lucky for me, my extended family never talked politics with us kids, so the pile of us grew up liberals because we got our societal education elsewhere. Just last year my uncle told us that AIDS happens because of gay people. We had a very loud row in public at a Chinese restaurant.

It was awkward.

User 406

Banned
This has probably been posted but:

http://www.democracynow.org/2015/9/17/kids_who_had_privilege_like_you

Like, I'm typically no fans of libertarians but Paul makes sense on a decent amount of issues. Also on foreign policy.

Of course, that just means he really has no shot.

Paul makes up for his enlightened stance on drug decriminalization with economic policies that will hurt the fuck out of underprivileged people. And yes, thankfully, he has no shot.

Don't think I ever had a conservative phase. Too young to vote for Gore and Kerry didn't matter since I live in a deep blue state when it comes to national elections. Voted for Obama both times and I'll be voting liberal for the rest of my life most likely.

I'm from a black family that has always voted Democrat. However, my family is definitely more conservative than I am on certain issues, like same-sex marriage, abortion, immigration, and the separation of the church and state. I voted twice for Obama, voted during the last three midterms, voted in my city's local races, and will vote in 2016.

What the fuck was Carly talking about the alive fetus on the table in a PP video, as people were discussing harvesting its brain? I havent seen any leaked PP videos so far. Is it true?

Teggy

What the fuck was Carly talking about the alive fetus on the table in a PP video, as people were discussing harvesting its brain? I havent seen any leaked PP videos so far. Is it true?

There is a shot in a separate documentary of a fetus that is moving (due to being alive or just reflex is unknown) but it is stock footage and not from PP and there is no conversation or even people in the shot. In that same documentary there is an interview with a woman who worked for a company (again, not PP) who was asked to harvest a brain. The bit about keeping the fetus alive is not in any video.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yahoo said:
Donald Trump says he is the victim of a "double standard" after comments he made about Carly Fiorina's looks - pointing out that she has also made remarks about the appearances of her female rivals.

On Hannity on Thursday night, he said Fiorina had called California Senator Barbara Boxer's hair "so yesterday" during her failed Senate bid in 2010.

Hannity asked: “Do you think there's a bit of a double standard in terms of people make fun of you all the time?”

Trump said: “Well, it’s not only a double standard, it's being politically correct. Last night I was very nice to her [during the debate] and some people thought I was being sarcastic.

“But actually if you look back at the records on Carly, she was brutal on Barbara Boxer. She was very nasty. She was running against Barbara Boxer. She lost in a landslide but during the run she was really horrible about Barbara Boxer's looks."

LOL...it begins.

There is a shot in a separate documentary of a fetus that is moving (due to being alive or just reflex is unknown) but it is stock footage and not from PP and there is no conversation or even people in the shot. In that same documentary there is an interview with a woman who worked for a company (again, not PP) who was asked to harvest a brain. The bit about keeping the fetus alive is not in any video.
In other words, she lied through her teeth? Disgusting. Media treating Carly with kiddie gloves because Trump is old news now.

kess

There's been two articles I've seen today from Vox and Bloomberg both saying that we shouldn't read too much into Fiorina's HP record because she actually was a victim of the economic times.

Her defense of her record was pretty well-delivered at the debates though. Trump & co. should go for HP's actions in Iran and how they curbed sanctions.

Lucent's fall was way more dramatic, the stock collapsed from $80 dollars to about $3 dollars in two years, and it never recovered. HP looks like a success story by comparison. Fiorina was already installed as HP's CEO before the stock run up, but there were seriously dubious accounting tricks when she was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom