• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
All this friction only shows that things are moving towards more black voters considering Sanders.

jon-stewart-confused-what.gif

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
All this friction only shows that things are moving towards more black voters considering Sanders.

Reuters had him going from 10-78 to 24-66 between Jan 3rd and Feb 3rd, but I don't think that's significant enough to worry Clinton particularly. Sanders is gaining ground but much too slowly to be a real threat among black voters. If he did the same by South Carolina he'd still be at ~35-58.

Gruco

Banned
I can't believe Webb isn't running. He totally fucking killed a guy in 'Nam. Exactly what modern voters are looking for.

Generalities? He specifies where he'll get the money from. What his plan will do. What is a plan to you? An actual bill? You realize Obama never had an ACA bill to put on his website when he ran in 2008 right? They were all as you put... generalities.

Of course not an actual bill, but he doesn't address anything that matters. It's mostly stuff like "administrative costs," which is the same hollow language the GOP uses.

He doesn't even say what type of single payer system it is.

This is literally all he says about his plan other than how he plans to pay for it:

"Bernie’s plan would create a federally administered single-payer health care program. Universal single-payer health care means comprehensive coverage for all Americans. Bernie’s plan will cover the entire continuum of health care, from inpatient to outpatient care; preventive to emergency care; primary care to specialty care, including long-term and palliative care; vision, hearing and oral health care; mental health and substance abuse services; as well as prescription medications, medical equipment, supplies, diagnostics and treatments. Patients will be able to choose a health care provider without worrying about whether that provider is in-network and will be able to get the care they need without having to read any fine print or trying to figure out how they can afford the out-of-pocket costs."

This tells me nothing. This is not a plan at all.

What's Clinton's plan?

tweaking the ACA?

We just completely remodeled the individual market. I don't see that happening again 6 years later, just a couple years after most of it took place.

Are you serious? This is not an actual plan. It's mostly generalities.

Shit, the article I quoted from NeoX basically outlined the problem.

Hillary's plan is just as vague at best and has no information on payment.

Of course not an actual bill, but he doesn't address anything that matters. It's mostly stuff like "administrative costs," which is the same hollow language the GOP uses.

This is literally all he says about his plan other than how he plans to pay for it:

"Bernie’s plan would create a federally administered single-payer health care program. Universal single-payer health care means comprehensive coverage for all Americans. Bernie’s plan will cover the entire continuum of health care, from inpatient to outpatient care; preventive to emergency care; primary care to specialty care, including long-term and palliative care; vision, hearing and oral health care; mental health and substance abuse services; as well as prescription medications, medical equipment, supplies, diagnostics and treatments. Patients will be able to choose a health care provider without worrying about whether that provider is in-network and will be able to get the care they need without having to read any fine print or trying to figure out how they can afford the out-of-pocket costs."

tweaking the ACA?

We just completely remodeled the individual market. I don't see that happening again 6 years later, just a couple years after most of it took place.

We tweaked the individual market, nothing has really changed for a lot of people. A lot of ppl are still dying or not getting the care they need for very preventable diseases. The status quo is immensely failing them.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
tweaking the ACA?

How does she tweak ACA? Why will the Republicans let her do that?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Clinton's healthcare proposals from the 2008 campaign are great - they're like Sanders but even less detailed!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That Rubio tax plan.

LOLOLOLOL

It's like he is actively sabotaging his campaign at this point. You don't go into a republican election with a tax plan that raises the national debt over 10 trillion dollars.

Well. It is a single payer plan... All you really need to know for the plan is how he proposes to pay for it. Single payer is pretty much universally understood... You won't need insurance as the government will pay your medical costs.

A more substantial plan will be brought out when a bill is created.

tweaking the ACA?

You chide Bernie for not having enough a plan for you but you're fine with the plan of tweaking the ACA? What does that mean exactly?

I know Hilary wants to bring down costs across the board pretty much but how does she want to do that.

Is she going to create a regulatory board to regulate the prices? I'm totally cool with that as well instead of a single payer system... But is that something she wants to do?

How else is she going to get prices to come down?

Gruco

Banned

The ACA invested a huge amount of power in the executive branch to invest in and expand pilot programs. It's implementation is not a short term thing. It will continue to get better for years. The rollout for any program this big is fairly slow. New components will continue to be phased in for the next four years.

She doesn't need republican support.

I have a feeling John Lewis' statements will come up during tonight's debate and I'm not sure Hillary would be wise to let Bernie compare what both of them were doing in the early 60's.

They should update that millennial test to ask if you know:

A. 0 Kanye Songs
B. 1-5 Kanye Songs
C. 5-15 Kanye Songs
D. Kanye's Discography

It would probably lower my score from a 95 to a 70 with that one question.

EDIT:

The biggest Tweak the ACA needs is the ability to negotiate drug prices. Which will never happen,

Wilsongt

A. 0 Kanye Songs
B. 1-5 Kanye Songs
C. 5-15 Kanye Songs
D. Kanye's Discography

Kanye sucks... So I hope it takes off about 90 points from my score.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I have a feeling John Lewis' statements will come up during tonight's debate and I'm not sure Hillary would be wise to let Bernie compare what both of them were doing in the early 60's.

She's not going to use this to hit him. The best thing to say would be something like, "Mr Lewis can say what he wants, but I am focused on today, not the past, and on our differences on the issues."

The discussion of Sanders problem with minorities has become a protagonist now that we are heading towards Nevada and SC. This discussion of Sanders may be in a bad light for some, but in a good light for others. Additionally we have his meeting with Al Sharpton; Michelle Alexander article about how Clinton is not deserving of the black vote (and a low-key endorsement of Sanders by calling him "the lesser of two evils"); Ta-Nehisi admitting he is voting for Bernie and Harry Belafonde endorsement.

Going by Keith Ellison description of how the Black Caucus PAC endorsement happened, I feel like the endorsement was probably a preventive and protective reaction. This is not only an endorsement of Clinton, but an evident attack on Sanders credentials with race issues.

Friction means theres a discussion.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The ACA invested a huge amount of power in the executive branch to invest in and expand pilot programs. It's implementation is not a short term thing. It will continue to get better for years. The rollout for any program this big is fairly slow. New components will continue to be phased in your the next four years.

She doesn't need republican support.

In the event that Sanders cannot get support for his healthcare plan, the ACA still exists, and the executive ability to expand the ACA still exists. Presumably, Sanders would also then expand it insofar as the executive can - this would be consistent with all of his stances on the issue. Why does Clinton therefore have an advantage on this?

She's not going to use this to hit him. The best thing to say would be something like, "Mr Lewis can say what he wants, but I am focused on today, not the past, and on our differences on the issues."

I think it depends on how hard and transparently they'll be fighting to persuade black voters tonight. I'm having a hard time gauging the tone this debate will take. I think it will be markedly different from the others.

In the event that Sanders cannot get support for his healthcare plan, the ACA still exists, and the executive ability to expand the ACA still exists. Presumably, Sanders would also then expand it insofar as the executive can - this would be consistent with all of his stances on the issue. Why does Clinton therefore have an advantage on this?

ten bucks says a meta-analysis of people's answers to this question will essentially boil down to "she already has direct executive-branch experience from her time at State"

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think it depends on how hard and transparently they'll be fighting to persuade black voters tonight. I'm having a hard time gauging the tone this debate will take. I think it will be markedly different from the others.

I don't think she has reason to take the gloves off yet, Bernie does but if he will remains to be seen.

ivysaur12

Banned

I know you're not espousing it, but this line of attack is such horseshit. I was a Republican when I was younger, too, because my parents were Republicans. It's not uncommon for people to change their opinions once they go to college or even just grow older.

I would never want my progressive credential tested because I once tried to write a hit piece in my school newspaper about how our teachers were evil, indoctrinating liberals.

Hillary's plan is just as vague at best and has no information on payment.

We tweaked the individual market, nothing has really changed for a lot of people. A lot of ppl are still dying or not getting the care they need for very preventable diseases. The status quo is immensely failing them.

Look, I agree we still need to improve a lot, but it's also true that most people are fine with the status quo. http://www.tampabay.com/news/health/poll-most-adults-actually-like-their-health-insurance/2263167

The GOP tweaked other programs it doesn't like in the past, it will again. Once Hillary wins in 2016, the ACA is set in stone. We aren't going to have these major battles forever.

Eventually, they'll tweak it in some ways. Honestly, it doesn't matter how because it's just tweaks. Essentially her healthcare plan is the ACA staying and trying to improve where they see it can be done. That's fine.

I mean, your argument is essentially "How will Hillary pass any legislation at all," but if that's your argument, then you're arguing you might as well vote for a Republican.

Well. It is a single payer plan... All you really need to know for the plan is how he proposes to pay for it. Single payer is pretty much universally understood... You won't need insurance as the government will pay your medical costs.

A more substantial plan will be brought out when a bill is created.

Except single payers across the world work differently. I would at least like to have some understanding of what he's proposing. How can he even know the costs without knowing the system?

You chide Bernie for not having enough a plan for you but you're fine with the plan of tweaking the ACA? What does that mean exactly?

I know Hilary wants to bring down costs across the board pretty much but how does she want to do that.

Is she going to create a regulatory board to regulate the prices? I'm totally cool with that as well instead of a single payer system... But is that something she wants to do?

How else is she going to get prices to come down?

Bernie is proposing a massive overhaul of the system. Like, the biggest overhaul in our nation's history. So yeah, I'm going to chide him for not having any details at all. just like I did with Mitt and his bullshit revenue neutral taxes through magic.

Yeah, Hillary wants to bring down costs, everyone does. Even the GOPers say they want to do that. At least I know where they (minus Trump) stand. They would repeal the ACA and go back to pre-ACA days. That's their plan.

Hillary's stance is simple. It's the ACA and making fixes where they can. Obama's stance is the same! She's not proposing what to fix right now necessarily and honestly, I don't care. Tweaks are small, albeit can be important.

There's a world of difference between a tweak and what Bernie is proposing. If you're going to restructure everything, I need something more concrete than "single payer, just go to your doc whenever and you're good" approach. That is not a plan.

I cannot even say whether I support his plan because it does not exist outside of an ideal.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
ten bucks says a meta-analysis of people's answers to this question will essentially boil down to "she already has direct executive-branch experience from her time at State"

Yes, as Secretary of State - an absolute mile away from anything healthcare related. Meanwhile, Sanders co-authored the Affordable Care Act. He probably knows it better than most.

Quite Whittle said:
Wasn't Clinton a teenager a high school?

Yes, busy campaigning for Goldwater.

Gruco

Banned

Clinton gives a shit about the real world and doesn't just sing songs about magic revolutions.

Bernie is a fucking joke on practical policy. He's not detail oriented at all and he's so insanely ideological that he'd probably consider making this a priority selling out. For christ's sake, this is the guy who thought it'd be a good idea to primary Obama. Even if he didn't consider it a sell out, the guy is too focused on his fantasy land shit to make it a real priority.

Hills actually has experience running an executive agency (I guess this is a bad answer because people anticipated it?), isn't afraid to get in the weeds on these things, and is actually focused on the real world, instead of the stardust rainbow land Bernie lives in.

The only time I've ever seen Kanye perform was when I watched SNL and he was on there. He did this thing where the roof was low and he was trapped under it. I didn't understand it.

I'm not that smart.

ivysaur12

Banned
Yes, as Secretary of State - an absolute mile away from anything healthcare related. Meanwhile, Sanders co-authored the Affordable Care Act. He probably knows it better than most.

Yes, busy campaigning for Goldwater.

I campaigned for Bush in 2004 when I was 15.

Do you really think that's a smart/legitimate line of attack?

Which would be about as cynic as arguing that his experience as mayor gives him great executive cred.

i mean, i did say meta-analysis

speaking of which, CALLED IT

I know you're not espousing it, but this line of attack is such horseshit. I was a Republican when I was younger, too, because my parents were Republicans. It's not uncommon for people to change their opinions once they go to college or even just grow older.

I would never want my progressive credential tested because I once tried to write a hit piece in my school newspaper about how our teachers were evil, indoctrinating liberals.

it's especially horseshit when you know Liz Warren (who Clinton is continually unfavorably compared to re: being a Real Progressive) was a Republican not even 20 years ago, with everything that that means

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The only time I've ever seen Kanye perform was when I watched SNL and he was on there. He did this thing where the roof was low and he was trapped under it. I didn't understand it.

I'm not that smart.

I don't think Kanye understood it either.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, your argument is essentially "How will Hillary pass any legislation at all," but if that's your argument, then you're arguing you might as well vote for a Republican.

There's so much irony in this post I nearly choked.

Wasn't Clinton a teenager a high school?

Yes, but more infamously she supported Barry Goldwater's 1964 presidential bid. IF Hillary were to make a thing of Bernie's past (I think she's smart enough not to) it would be pretty easy for Bernie to bring up that bit of trivia.

Ivysaur12 said:

I agree, people should be able to change their minds as they age and develop a view of the world. Regardless, I think it would be an effective counter-punch if Bernie's past is questioned because politics isn't always about reason and common sense. I don't think Hillary supporting Goldwater is some glaring flaw, but plenty of people probably would.

Tarkus

A. 0 Kanye Songs
B. 1-5 Kanye Songs
C. 5-15 Kanye Songs
D. Kanye's Discography

EDIT:

The biggest Tweak the ACA needs is the ability to negotiate drug prices. Which will never happen,
I've only heard the gold digger song. Not a true millennial.

Holmes

I campaigned for Bush in 2004 when I was 15.

Do you really think that's a smart/legitimate line of attack?
Yeah, and Elizabeth Warren was a Republican until 1996. People did stupid shit in the past.

Also - what? Why? Do you come from a rich WASPy family or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom