• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

Can Hillary ever have a good debate night. God dammit.
Washington (CNN)Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid said Thursday that the Democratic race for president could drag on for months -- and possibly to the Democratic National Convention in July.

In an interview with CNN, Reid said that the race between Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton shows no signs of dying down, even as the former secretary of state had hoped the upcoming Nevada caucuses and South Carolina primary would be her launching pad to the Democratic nomination.

"These races go on for a long long time," Reid said. When asked if that included a brokered convention, he responded "Sure, seriously some of the old conventions produced some good people."

Reid also said, "It would be kind of fun."
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/11/politics/harry-reid-contested-convention/index.html

This would not be fun, Reid. This would be a disaster.

What a nightmare this has become.

Solid debate from both, I think. As usual, Hillary going on the attack tends to backfire, and Bernie phrased his answer on race relations poorly at some points. He didn't give the wrong answer, but he did do a bad job of giving the right answer. Aside from a couple mishaps on both sides though, they presented their cases very well in my opinion. I worry that Hillary clinging to Obama is maybe a bit too transparent. No one has forgotten how sharply she disagreed with him in '08.

Anyway, I'm not sure this debate moves the needle much. What they need is either a string of astonishing answers or a serious fuck up from the other candidate and I don't think either will happen.

Figured I'd cross-post.

On the whole, I don't know if this will change much.

She started much better than he I think. But started getting tripped up in the immigration segment and then it went to Sanders wheelhouse of Wall St.

On money in politics, Hillary is still bad. She should really just be upfront and say, yes, I'll take it because without it we're going to get crushed by Koch money.

On FP, Sanders has studied up but it was a history textbook rather than a look at modern threats - it still looks like he's more interested in bring up the past rather than putting together what he plans to change, and it stood out actually a bit more in some of the things he brought up. So better, not great.

I'm not entirely sure how the ending will play. I think it could have been a good pivot, but I don't know if she took it too far. If it becomes the story though, I don't think it will be good for him amongst minorities with whom Obama is incredibly popular.

Throughout the debate, Sanders repeatedly looked highly flustered in split screens. It's something that probably should be worked on.

She may as well have said she was running for Obama's third term.

Also burning hate of a thousand suns for each other, like lasers from their eyes.

I think the 538 crew echoed my sentiment.
CHADWICK MATLIN 10:33 PM
As primary campaigns go on, do debates matter more or less?

HARRY ENTEN 10:33 PM
They’re going to matter less, in my opinion. The simple reason is that this race will become one of demographics. We saw how much demographics mattered in 2008 on the Democratic side and in 2012 on the Republican side

danm999

Little frustrated at Sanders. Stumbling like he did with repeated pivots to Wall St on racial inequality questions and letting Hillary box him out on Obama's legacy isn't going to do a damn thing for him with South Carolina two weeks away.

Figured I'd cross-post.

On the whole, I don't know if this will change much.

She started much better than he I think. But started getting tripped up in the immigration segment and then it went to Sanders wheelhouse of Wall St.

On money in politics, Hillary is still bad. She should really just be upfront and say, yes, I'll take it because without it we're going to get crushed by Koch money.

On FP, Sanders has studied up but it was a history textbook rather than a look at modern threats - it still looks like he's more interested in bring up the past rather than putting together what he plans to change, and it stood out actually a bit more in some of the things he brought up. So better, not great.

I'm not entirely sure how the ending will play. I think it could have been a good pivot, but I don't know if she took it too far. If it becomes the story though, I don't think it will be good for him amongst minorities with whom Obama is incredibly popular.

Throughout the debate, Sanders repeatedly looked highly flustered in split screens. It's something that probably should be worked on.

She may as well have said she was running for Obama's third term.

Also burning hate of a thousand suns for each other, like lasers from their eyes.

There was no rubio moment, bernie got a bit better on FP which is nice (at least he didnt get worse lol), hillary getting in some good pro-obama shots, nothing probably changes but who knows.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention the racial inequality segment. I don't think that his pivots to stump speech will be a good look for him to communities that already don't like the implication that their problems are all rooted in economics. Clinton outright saying, there's racism going on was probably good, and I think he picked up on that and did actually say it later.

I'm actually really really really curious what President Obama thinks about all this.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Apparently this is the last debate until after Super Tuesday? I'm a little surprised by that.

If there is demand for it, they will probably schedule one more right before Super Tuesday. Only logical.

Frankly, they get to be too much of the same if they have too many of them.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Honestly, the way this debate schedule has panned out, it's not shocking. DWS has to go.

In case you have not noticed, these debates do not hurt Hillary any. And if you have too many debates, they start getting ignored.

So bae emailed me and said "Whatever you do, don't try and find Hillary's closing statement. It's terrible."

So....I'm guessing it was pretty damn good?

So bae emailed me and said "Whatever you do, don't try and find Hillary's closing statement. It's terrible."

I zoned out but I think it was good (i am biased so you will probably think it was even better, tbh bernie got screwed on his final statement because they made him respond to clinton calling him out on obama which is super smart).

Suikoguy

Yes it was good. She got me fumming for a moment because Sanders wasn't as good. Even when the running against Obama line is catching up.

Basically, "I'm not a single issue candidate, the presidency isn't a single issue job."

I think it's a good line in these debates and going forward because it draws attention to repeated pivots on basically anything to Wall St.

Kangi

Yes.

Nothing that quite hit "NH concession speech" heights, but to be fair, that was probably her best speech this election.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It was a decapitation, had she hit him with it at the start it would have looked like the line Christie used on Rubio.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Oh yes, I forgot to mention the racial inequality segment. I don't think that his pivots to stump speech will be a good look for him to communities that already don't like the implication that their problems are all rooted in economics. Clinton outright saying, there's racism going on was probably good, and I think he picked up on that and did actually say it later.

I'm actually really really really curious what President Obama thinks about all this.

Hah, he won't say anything until after the election I imagine. :D

I think he'd be closer to Clinton overall, but way closer to Sanders than people would imagine. He has given some interviews in the past - he's a little more MLK then your Cornel West / TNC types (who are more black nationalist), and generally more optimistic (he probably agrees with Hilary's answer that things have gotten better overall, just that we're subjected to more of it due to the explosion of technology and media) about our inter-connectedness as Americans (and human beings) and how that brings us together. It's a result (IMO) of his heritage, where he grew up, and where he campaigned. It's easy to believe that when you have to go from Chicago to Cairo (Southern IL city), and connect with everyone along the way. You start to see the deep similarities between groups that don't appear to be similar at all.

I suspect his answer lies somewhere on the "racism isn't just rooted in economics, but the economics route is probably the best route to work on currently if you want a long-term solution." path. But that's from what I know about candidate / Senator Obama. I'd be curious to see if his answer has changed in the last 8 years. Also - I think after the WH, him and Holder start tackling race issues hardcore together.

She probably should have used it earlier.
Possibly something along the lines of: "Look, I agree with Senator Sanders; we need to regulate Wall St. It's important. And I think I have the best plan to do this. But let's dispel this fiction that everything we need to fix in this country can be done by tackling Wall St. Hey Marco ;)"

----

Oh, I meant more whether he's on board with this bearhugging. Like whether any of his former staffers out of respect to him contact his staff before giving interviews. Whether the Clinton campaign does this before bear hugging him.

Like is he okay with it essentially, tacitly, explicitly.

Solid closing statement, yes. Better than Bernie's, but nothing along the lines of a game changer for anyone like how Christie ended Rubio's political career.

Yes it was good. She got me fumming for a moment because Sanders wasn't as good. Even when the running against Obama line is catching up.

Yes.

Nothing that quite hit "NH concession speech" heights, but to be fair, that was probably her best speech this election.

It was a decapitation, had she hit him with it at the start it would have looked like the line Christie used on Rubio.

Solid closing statement, yes. Better than Bernie's, but nothing along the lines of a game changer for anyone like how Christie ended Rubio's political career.

Ugh, I need to see this. I want it. I'm quitting my job tomorrow. I can't miss my Queen on TV like this.

CNN wasn't liking Bernie's "youre not President yet" line from Bernie.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You don't think that is a bit biased ;).

OK, it wasn't a full decapitation but the second part of my post is legit. Had she used it at the start of the debate she could have pointed out every time he pivoted to Wall Street and the millionaires and billionaires, doing huge amounts of damage in the process.

That's more down to the timing of the attack. Had she done it earlier she could have used it like a DOT and kept dealing damage through the debate.

I'd put money on her doing that next time.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Initial reaction was that Sander's recovered and maybe even counterpunched, but what's gong to really matter is the next month or so: will she be able to drive home the narrative that Sanders hasn't been a team player?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I still cannot believe Clinton kept fighting with Bernie on the PAC thing. That was...so unbelievably foolish.

Meanwhile at Trump rally

giphy.gif

danm999

I still cannot believe Clinton kept fighting with Bernie on the PAC thing. That was...so unbelievably foolish.

I think it was part of her general debate strategy to try and use Obama as a cover, to portray herself as an Obama 2.0. I don't think it went that well in that bit and she should have moved on sooner, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom