• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.
More Judas talk from Bush donors concerning Rubio. I remember a story a while back where this was mentioned too. It's hilarious how entitled that campaign feels.

CbHG7WMUEAA56EN.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/NumbersMuncher/status/698558140833492994

Damn, they really wanted Rubio to stay in his place

Are you a Steve Stevens fan?

Had no idea who that was so I googled him and I see he had an album called Atomic Playboys. No, I took my name from the scene in Atomic Cafe with Admiral Blandy saying "I am not an atomic playboy," which seemed like such a strange thing to deny when I watched that at age 15 or so. Who doesn't want to be an atomic playboy?

Trump is now in general election mode. He's now tweeting a bunch of racist shit and then deleting them a couple hours later. Made a joke about a Univision anchor being an anchor baby and then deleted it just now.

For me, it's more about what reparations represent in terms of particularized redress (as it applies to this Bernie stuff). It's an acknowledgement that certain kinds of people are so disadvantaged that they deserve particular treatment above and beyond what you would give to someone else (equity not equality). So when Bernie defaults to a kind of generalized colorblind economic populism, it doesn't address the fact that the proposed channels of his changes are still deeply racist. But if programs and policies like reparations that specifically try to combat the problem by directly targeting the disadvantaged class are too divisive, then you're not really doing anything to fix the fundamental issue. A rising tide may lift all boats, but what about the people whose boats have holes in them?

Obviously there's a strong moral component to this as well in which his comments don't come off well, the right thing to do is never the easy thing as they say.

dramatis

You guys are making this about Bernie cause it fits your narrative. My original post was about US having these thoughts and discussions now. There's a whole lot of discussion that can be had around a platform that's deemed crazy or unfeasible. That's exactly what Coates was hoping for.

Bernie's idea that we all start participating and talking about government and policies, that we can make a difference in our communities by getting involved and thinking differently. That we can make the political personal. That's the revolution. US.
Our narratives? This is what you said:
The funniest part about everyone in here picking apart Bernie's stance on reparations is the fact that some old white guy has everyone talking about reparations.

This is why Bernie's message is so powerful. He's challenging everyone to think of new landscapes and possibilities we can create through our involvement in government. Because they are OUR ideas and not his, means that future leaders and representatives will be empowered to perhaps even run on a platform of reparations or anything that was once viewed as "impossible." Like the effect FDR's second bill of rights has had on Bernie.)

We're seeing a massive influx of imagination and creativity being planted this election cycle that will fruit eternally. This is the revolution POLIGAF, you can't explain it away when you are partaking in it.
You said specifically Bernie is the one who has everyone talking about reparations. Now you're trying to say you were talking about the US having these thoughts and discussions now...but there have been these thoughts and discussions for some time now, it's just that you weren't paying attention or you couldn't be arsed to care. And now you want to feel proud that your candidate of choice is 'causing' the subject to be discussed?

Like I said, Coates could have used Obama or Hillary and it would get attention. The fact that you need "some old white guy" to be the target of Coates's criticisms to give a shit about or discuss reparations is nothing to be proud of.

It is in no way "Bernie's" idea that we all start participating and talking about government and policies. We are able to be publicly educated from 5 to 18, and there have been so many causes out there, so many news pieces good and bad and profound, and more than capable of thinking about government, about voting, and about participating in government on our own. Why are you acting so proud that someone came along and said the same message so many people before him had asked of you? Or perhaps because it wasn't "some old white guy" speaking so you couldn't be bothered to listen?

Who do you think you are preaching to? To the posters who lived in PoliGAF and long made the political personal, while you were living in MLB?

Devastating, particularly with this reparations thing picking up steam.
Black twitter has been talking about Bernie supposedly saying "poor white people should be included in reparation discussions" since last night. A lot of people are disappointed. His campaign to court minority voters isn't really going well at all.

I think they're speaking in reference to this:

The woman said her son suffers from asthma and other illnesses because her home is near a location where garbage is regularly burned. She said black Americans deserve a special restitution for slavery and its after effects.

Sanders fell back to his general take that economic inequality unites lower-income people.

"You and I may disagree about this. This is not just black, it is Latino and there are areas in America, more rural areas where it's white," he said. "I believe that in a country which has more income and wealth inequality than any other country, the time is long overdue to start investing in poor [communities.]"

People have been saying he's basically comparing poor white people to the long history of slavery and segregation in black communities.

So why not judge Bernie based off of something that is an actual policy that he won't support because suddenly realism has to be brought into his discussions, when the whole time he sells dreams?

the way i see it, it's not even that he won't support it - it's that he'll barely even discuss it, first of all, and second that he'll handwave away the entire thing by saying "it's not feasible in this congressional environment" when that literally applies to his entire platform

Overlee

Our narratives? This is what you said:

You said specifically Bernie is the one who has everyone talking about reparations. Now you're trying to say you were talking about the US having these thoughts and discussions now...but there have been these thoughts and discussions for some time now, it's just that you weren't paying attention or you couldn't be arsed to care. And now you want to feel proud that your candidate of choice is 'causing' the subject to be discussed?

Like I said, Coates could have used Obama or Hillary and it would get attention. The fact that you need "some old white guy" to be the target of Coates's criticisms to give a shit about or discuss reparations is nothing to be proud of.

It is in no way "Bernie's" idea that we all start participating and talking about government and policies. We are able to be publicly educated from 5 to 18, and there have been so many causes out there, so many news pieces good and bad and profound, and more than capable of thinking about government, about voting, and about participating in government on our own. Why are you acting so proud that someone came along and said the same message so many people before him had asked of you? Or perhaps because it wasn't "some old white guy" speaking so you couldn't be bothered to listen?

Who do you think you are preaching to? To the posters who lived in PoliGAF and long made the political personal, while you were living in MLB?

The 5 page OT thread on Bernie and reparations alludes to my point which you keep avoiding. Trying to make this personal won't dissolve your misguided anger.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I'm assuming that Hillary isn't in favor of reparations, so what is the angle for attacking Bernie on it? Is it just that for a guy who is promising every other social program under the sun, why is he against reparations? I guess I'm just wondering why use it if it is a position that Hillary won't go left of him on.

teiresias

I'm assuming that Hillary isn't in favor of reparations, so what is the angle for attacking Bernie on it? Is it just that for a guy who is promising every other social program under the sun, why is he against reparations? I guess I'm just wondering why use it if it is a position that Hillary won't go left of him on.

Like I said in OT, it's basically "All Lives Matter" for social programs, not a great place to be when your deficit is with minorities.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
“The piece they adopted from [the 2008] Obama campaign was all this bullshit about analytics,” said the consultant, a South Carolina native. “The piece they didn’t adopt is what Democrats always forget: that without an actual, on-the-ground outreach strategy to get ‘Ray Ray’ and ‘Pookie’ to the polls, Obama would not have won.”

what?

Being critical of Sanders is not being supportive of Hillary. And when you're the self-proclaimed radical progressive you're evaluated by higher standards.

kami_sama

I suppose that they think supporting Sanders might be a risk, and want to know if it is worth it. Clinton is considered a safer candidate, and that means less probability of a Rep president.

Black twitter has been talking about Bernie supposedly saying "poor white people should be included in reparation discussions" since last night. A lot of people are disappointed. His campaign to court minority voters isn't really going well at all.

I think they're speaking in reference to this:

People have been saying he's basically comparing poor white people to the long history of slavery and segregation in black communities.

That's not at all what he meant. Like at all. It is a terrible thing his position is getting misrepresented.

But yeah I can see how that can be interpreted as such (and I have also seen this narrative being the dominant one already). I fear that he probably lost any inroads he has made with black voters because of his good intentioned stupidity.

Anyway, that Negative ad by Clinton is not going to work. Making light of such an important issue like income inequality (represented in WS greed) can only backfire with voters who are emotionally invested in the issue.

kirblar

That's not at all what he meant. Like at all. It is a terrible thing his position is getting misrepresented.

But yeah I can see how that can be interpreted as such (and I have also seen this narrative being the dominant one already). I fear that he probably lost any inroads he has made with black voters because of his good intentioned stupidity.

Anyway, that Negative ad by Clinton is not going to work. Making light of such an important issue like income inequality (represented in WS greed) can only backfire with voters who are emotionally invested in the issue.
Thats not what the clinton ad is about.

Krowley

That reuters national tracking poll keeps moving in Sanders favor. Now it only gives Clinton an 8 point lead, even when filtered down to likely dem primary voters. It was giving her a 20 point lead under that filter just a few days ago.

Source

tmarg

When Bernie is raising $5 million a DAY at certain times, it definitely allows the campaign to throw money at problems more liberally than the Clinton campaign.

Hillary has raised plenty of money. I'd be surprised if Bernie is anywhere near her numbers.

How is she making light of it?

"Look at this old man goofily making everything Wall Street", when we know his answers are way more elaborated than that and they kind of make sense. They just dont in racial issues.

On a second watch and with my guts less on fire I can see a line of attack like this working, yeah. It all depends on how the Sanders camp works around it.

That reuters national tracking poll keeps moving in Sanders favor. Now it only gives Clinton an 8 point lead, even when filtered down to likely dem primary voters. It was giving her a 20 point lead under that filter just a few days ago.

Source

Registered voters is even closer, like both at 44%

Hispanics 41 vs 40%

It also has his support with black voters @ 37%. mmmh

I am skeptical.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
"Look at this old man goofily making everything Wall Street", when we know his answers are way more elaborated than that and they kind of make sense. They just dont in racial issues.

On a second watch and with my guts less on fire I can see a line of attack like this working, yeah. It all depends on how the Sanders camp works around it.

He does make everything about wall street. It's the central thrust of his campaign. To a lot of people, that message resonates because they're not on wall street and are therefore poor and undesirable. Luckily I do not have that problem.

There is no condition under which you (or most Bernie fans) would agree that Hillary takes this issue as seriously as Bernie does, so I don't think there's too much opportunity to convince someone who really thinks it is the most important issue of the campaign to vote for Hillary. This is her next best option.

SmokeMaxX

In his words, Sanders is against reparations because
“Its likelihood of getting through Congress is nil"

Some would argue that almost all of his positions have essentially a nil likelihood of getting through Congress, so the fact that he's not pushing for reparations is essentially telling black communities that they're not worth fighting for. IMO, he should never admit to dismissing an idea because it's unlikely to succeed. That's counterproductive to his message. Inconsistencies like this will kill you in politics.

Source
A 63-33 spread is 8 points?

EDIT: Nevermind, that was using Overall because mobile.

Krowley

Registered voters is even closer, like both at 44%

Hispanics 41 vs 40%

It also has his support with black voters @ 37%. mmmh

I am skeptical.

I'm also a bit skeptical, and desperate for more polls. I expected something new from SC by now.

Source

Maybe they heard how everyone was making fun of their wacky different filters and changed something.

Gotchaye

Clinton is basically running to be Obama's third term. She's selling herself as safe, pragmatic, competent, etc. She's the "knows what she's doing and can get things done" candidate. She's going to beat Sanders unless he can offer something new and appealing.

Sanders is running a much more emotional campaign. He's identifying Bad People who must be opposed. He's proposing radical change. His supporters are less concerned with policy details than they are with knowing that "he cares about people like them". It's important that he's perceived as honest and authentic. If he doesn't seem to care a lot about you and your problems, you're not likely to give him a second look. It's not about being sure that his policy prescriptions are really the right way to go; it's about believing that he's on your side.

Sanders is clearly very willing to signal that he's on the side of, say, young white people with lots of student debt. This is who he's aimed at. He's said a lot of things that "everyone knows" are stupid politics, so they trust him. He has not been similarly willing or enthusiastic about sticking his neck out on behalf of black people, among others. I suspect that his "cares about people like me" score is much lower among black people. And reparations is part of why - it's the sort of costly signal that a Sanders-like candidate would be sending to black people to prove that he's on their side. He's vulnerable on this in a way that Clinton isn't, even though they have the same (non)position, because his whole campaign is about sending these sorts of "I care" signals.

pigeon

Banned
You should cut this out. It's not racist to point out Bernie's candidacy exposes ideas that weren't on the table before. It's a pretty gross accusation.

They were on the table before. We've discussed it in this thread before.

When you proudly announce that an idea has finally hit the mainstream because a white guy has been associated with it instead of the black guy who's been advancing it for three years, that's whitewashing. I'm comfortable with the label. Doesn't mean the poster is racist, but the position is.

Won't stop the same doom chorus from arguing the same thing they always do.

You don't get to use "it's not practical/feasible" as an argument when you're promising the moon on nearly every other issue. It goes to the fact that he still believes "its all about class", ignoring that this-

is not an issue that arised because of any sort of natural economic forces.

Calling Coates an "Old White Guy" is very much an attempt to handwave and belittle someone you clearly know next to nothing about.

So because Sanders has promised the moon on various issues, like most politicians, he must support every "radical" left wing economic over-the-moon policy as well? That's not how this works.

kirblar

So because Sanders has promised the moon on various issues, like most politicians, he must support all over-the-moon policies as well? That's not how this works.
No, it means that arguing practicality as a rationale for not supporting a policy is not an acceptable response, because that rationale would invalidate most of his other positions as well.

"Practicality" isn't stopping him from promising to release 90% of prisoners.... so what's actually stopping him from supporting this position?

And it seems to circle back to "it's class, not race."

East Lake

They were on the table before. We've discussed it in this thread before.

When you proudly announce that an idea has finally hit the mainstream because a white guy has been associated with it instead of the black guy who's been advancing it for three years, that's whitewashing. I'm comfortable with the label. Doesn't mean the poster is racist, but the position is.
Not really. It's pretty much factual to note that it's getting much larger traction now. The observation has nothing to do with white supremacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom