• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hillary's team needs to make a good minute long ad showing what's at stake while also explaining the Supreme Court and what it does to the country. Good luck to them.

HylianTom

Banned
Letting the people decide never works in the Democrats favor and they know this.

Hmm.. high turnout in a Presidential election works for the Dems. Especially with 2016's demographics.

They're fools if they think that this is a winning gambit.

Hillary's team needs to make a good minute long ad showing what's at stake while also explaining the Supreme Court and what it does to the country. Good luck to them.

She should probably come up with a list of cases that are at stake.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Holy shit, I just got home and saw the news. Is he really gone? Like, this isn't a joke right?

Please don't toy with me, I feel very vulnerable right now.

I am honestly surprised that he did this. I guess they feel more confident against Hillary than I expected.
You and me both. The turtle is many things, but stupid usually isn't one of them. Quite peculiar to see him try to pull this kinda crap.

Because, there is no way the GOP could spin this other than obstruction. They can waive away a lot of the other shit, but a Supreme appointment is not something that they can just pretend isn't a Constitutional requirement for them to fill.

Plouffe really should get that chairperson spot.

Holy shit, I just got home and saw the news. Is he really gone? Like, this isn't a joke right?

Can't say that i didn't triple-check.

sangreal

Graham is on msnbc trying to walk back on the gang of 14 because Democrats eliminated the filibuster on appellate judges

makes no sense, but that is Graham for you. He does suggest he would vote for a moderate though. He floated Orin Hatch lolol

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Obama should do what Bush never could. Get Harriet Myers confirmed.

After confirmation Harriet Myers pulls off mask to reveal Goodwin Liu

Graham is on msnbc trying to walk back on the gang of 14 because Democrats eliminated the filibuster on appellate judges

makes no sense, but that is Graham for you. He does suggest he would vote for a moderate though. He floated Orin Hatch lolol
Still in place for Supreme Court though no?

He's gone.

And Madame Graham on NBC News being a total bitch right now right now. Total fucking bitch.

Kangi

It happened. A Ted Cruz flyer came to our doorstep.

I've been marked for death. I must find a Hillary 2016 sign to ward off the encroaching evil. Please pray for me.

kess

Looking at the list of Supreme Court nominations, Hoover, Eisenhower, Johnson, H.W., Reagan and Bush had nomination/appointments during the last two years of their terms. What McConnell is proposing seems unprecedented. It's really disconcerting.

ivysaur12

Banned
Such a good point. However the shutdown was two years away (maybe a only a year, can't remember) from election. This is 9 months away and is going to be a daily thing. The shutdown lasted a month and then it was over. Voters didn't have constant reminders of republican incompetence/corruption.

It depends. This could be over relatively quickly. Or it won't, and Republicans will be the Party of Obstruction heading into November.

Kyosaiga

Banned
I wonder how big the collective GOP shit was when they heard and the news... And how high pitched the Democratic squeel was.

I literally stared at my computer screen scared to click the link because I thought it'd be one of those unconfirmed rumors that have no merit.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
what are the chances of the democrats taking back control of the senate in 16?

Democrats should probably win back 4 seats no matter what, bringing it to a VP tiebreaker.

It's hard to see how democrats can get the 5th seat in an election where the Republican wins the presidency, so I think the senate is basically going to whoever wins the presidency.

thefro

shit...

I just realized Obama or a Dem filling that side would likely flip Citizens United too.

Definitely the most interesting thing politically in my lifetime, I think.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Can't say that i didn't triple-check.

It's real B-Dubs.

Seriously, I just to every news website I know and called up a couple friends just to make sure. I seriously thought this was a hoax thing when I saw it.

If you need me too, I can drive up to NYC and hold you.

If by that you mean drink until we pass out and then drink some more, then come on up.

He's gone.

And Madame Graham on NBC News being a total bitch right now right now. Total fucking bitch.

I shouldn't be happy that a man has died, but he was such a fucking asshole that I can't help it. It's this crazy, weird feeling that I can't explain in words.

Obama could literally flip the court on it's head with this choice. Citizens United's days are officially numbered.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
There are a lot of ways to counter this, starting with the people elected Obama for 4 years, not 3. Plenty of important cases coming up, etc.

And they elected their senators for 6. The president isn't guaranteed his nominees, and the Senate has an obligation to use their independent judgment in confirming, or not, a nominee. Their confirmation power isn't a rubber stamp.

User1608

Banned
and its likely better for conservatives then what they will get next year

Yes. Even a moderate throws the court overwhelmingly into the Democrat favor given how often Roberts and Kennedy count as the swing vote.
Agree with you both. Now, how dumb will the GOP be? I'm expecting a whole lot of fuckery based on Cruz and McConnell's statements. This party. May it come at a high cost for them.

Assuming it did make it to the election, I'm not sure whether that favors Dems or Repubs more honestly. I could see it quickly devolving into a referendum on abortion in terms of the political discourse, and I think that favors Dems in the swing states.

sangreal

Still in place for Supreme Court though no?

Yes, it actually doesn't have to do with anything. A true filibuster isn't going to come up -- McConnell just won't bring a vote, and neither will the committee. But Graham is saying because of that rule change all bets are off and its okay to block a SCOTUS nominee

Diablos

This is going to blow up in the Republicans' faces.
Remains to be seen. Besides there is nothing anyone can do to stop them from blocking the vote. I don't think they care because they know this boils down to the Presidential election which ultimately overshadows congressional shenanigans especially to Joe Dumbshit Voter.

Btw if Hillary wins she will carry the Senate into D majority status again. The map for the Senate is stacked against the GOP

ivysaur12

Banned
And they elected their senators for 6. The president isn't guaranteed his nominees, and the Senate has an obligation to use their independent judgment in confirming, or not, a nominee. Their confirmation power isn't a rubber stamp.

There's no guarantee that the nominee will be confirmed, that's true. But a rejection of actually hearing a nominee until the next president is elected before the nominee even exists is the height of partisan insanity.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

No, but if a nominee is qualified enough they'll look like super huge assholes blocking him/her and it'll do a huge amount of damage to them politically. If Obama makes the right pick they'll have no choice to confirm or risk killing their presidential nominee before they even get chosen.

There's no guarantee that the nominee will be confirmed, that's true. But a rejection of actually hearing a nominee until the next president is elected before the nominee even exists is the height of partisan insanity.

They'll look like gigantic assholes and kill their nominee if they try this. It will literally accomplish nothing they want it to.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, it actually doesn't have to do with anything. A true filibuster isn't going to come up -- McConnell just won't bring a vote, and neither will the committee. But Graham is saying because of that rule change all bets are off and its okay to block a SCOTUS nominee
I mean it would have been "ok" before. It's largely irrelevant, but I guess they have to frame it somehow.

But refusing to even hear a potential nominee? You know that's essentially unprecedented. They have the right to confirm a nominee, not reject that they confirm a nomination at all.

HylianTom

Banned
So then.. you could see how automatically ruling-out the possibility of confirmation before any specific potential nominees are floated might look bad?

It's one thing to say: "no confirmation, period. No matter whom you nominate. It isn't happening."

It's another to say: "we have to exercise our judgment on a nominee before making a decision of whether to consent or not."

Their "independent" judgment is to reject who he nominates before he even nominates them

Ah. i think i see the narrative angle the turtle will go for.

Yes, democrats voted for bams in 2012, so that the man could appoint a judge.

But voters also gave republicans a senate majority in 2014, so that they could counter his perceived excesses.

tbh it's a good point. I mean, it's fuckery of the highest order and i do agree that he should settle for a moderate, but i can't say that he doesn't have a good counter to the 2012 bit available to him.

Obv flat-out saying that they'll reject everybody, as mitch implied, is just stupid.

Technically the Senate can refuse to ever confirm someone to the Supreme Court just like Congress can technically never pass a law and the President can technically always veto every bill. The constitution assumes a certain level of participation in order for a functioning democracy to exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom