• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

Okay I'm not gonna knock Cruz too much because we're all basically hoping we can push the court back towards the left whereas Ted wants to solidify it as right wing. The lines have been drawn.

Ginsburg was hesitant but if Obama's pick gets confirmed i wonder if she will step down

This is huge

kirblar

Trump has a weird reaction

@realDonaldTrump The totally unexpected loss of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia is a massive setback for the Conservative movement and our COUNTRY!
The wording on this is so telling. (Trump doesn't see himself as a conservative- to no one's surprise.)

Bowdz

At least liberals will now be reminded over and over this year that 2016 is vital because of the Supreme Court.

Obama needs to nominate someone with unimpeachable credentials and a minority. Like Leah Ward Sears (off the top of my head). The optics of Republicans trying to block someone like that would be damning in an election year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Srinivasan

Literally the perfect choice. 97 - 0 through the Senate 3 years ago which allows him to use the GOP stall as a cudgel over their heads throughout the election. CNN has already been reporting that GOP senate staffers have said there is "absolutely no way" that they will approve an appointment from the President this year.

If he goes for Sri, he can claim to be a moderate working for the good of the country only to have the GOP resort to their typical political stalling tactics and actually back it up with their previous voting record.

Kyosaiga

Banned
Okay I'm not gonna knock Cruz too much because we're all basically hoping we can push the court back towards the left whereas Ted wants to solidify it as right wing. The lines have been drawn.

Ginsburg was hesitant but if Obama's pick gets confirmed i wonder if she will step down too

This is huge

Ginsburg stepping down would be a dumb, DUMB move. She'll wait until after the next President gets sworn in, hopefully a democrat

pigeon

Banned
I expected Cruz to comment. I didn't expect him to instantly plant himself in the "the nomination should be delayed until 2017" camp. That's a risky position, riskier than Cruz seems to normally like.

I kind of think it's classic Cruz. If it happens in the Senate he'll definitely be yelling about it and calling McConnell a sellout betraying America, so better just go ahead and plant the flag now so that he can be consistent.

Ecotic

Rubio is probably wishing Christie was still in the race. What a better time to point out that Senators also make consequential decisions than to point out to Christie tonight that he has a vote on Obama's nominee.

There is no basis in text, tradition, or even in contemporary practice (if that were enough), for finding in the Constitution a right to demand judicial consideration of newly discovered evidence of innocence brought forward after conviction.

Diablos

If they don't confirm Obama's pick for the court I am going to rage. This would be unprecedented. Enough Democrats voted for Roberts and Alito. Grow the fuck up GOP

Thomas following around Scalia?

You do know that it was usually the exact opposite?

Yeah, I respect Thomas a lot more than Scalia. People always make fun of him for not asking questions when he's actually the only one up there being honest about their worth. And I may disagree with Thomas's constitutional views, but he is actually consistent in following them.

This will hurt Sanders unless the "more electable" narrative switches to him.

It remains to be seen how much people will care about the appointment, though.

NeoXChaos

Clinton 65%
Sanders 27%

Primary Voters Democrats (75%) Other (25%)
Clinton 66% 61%
Sanders 24% 34%

Likely Democratic
Primary Voters 18 to 49 (39%) 50 and older (61%)
Clinton 57% 70%
Sanders 36% 20%

Likely Democratic
Primary Voters Male (39%) Female (62%)
Clinton 61% 67%
Sanders 32% 23%

Likely Democratic
Primary Voters African American/
Black(53%) White (46%)
Clinton 74% 54%
Sanders 19% 35%

HylianTom

Banned
We get to vote in November on whether the political center of gravity in this country for the next 20+ years shifts left or right. That's what's on the ballot, no matter whom the nominee is.

I thought 2012 felt huge, but damn. This really feels like it's for all the marbles.

I used to rant about this, and I'm sure many here in PoliGAF can recite the lines along with me like a Rubio talking point, but.. told y'all so.

I know no one cares about polls right now, but was the Dem ARG poll posted?

Hillary 65%
Bernie 27%

Let me review the poll and nitpick something faulthy so I can construct a counter argument about how this is actually great for Bern.

tumblr_meudjkOvw71qbzqexo1_r1_500.gif

tmarg

Is there any historical precedent they could use to explain stalling? I don't know how they argue that Obama shouldn't be allowed to perform the duties of his office.

Wilsongt

I bet Scalia planned this. All of the salt from the gay marriage and ACA ruling finally got to him. So he decided he'd go out in a high note. A final magnum fuck you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom