• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoXChaos

Because you're talking about a partisan primary. AAs are far more likely to be a Democrat, especially in the south, than whites. The whites vote for the GOP, hence the reason the GOP carries the state every election.

yeah hence 47% of that white vote who votes in the Democratic primary probably only make up around 10% in a general while the R makes up 80%

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Here's some data on election-year SCOTUS nominations. One thing I haven't seen mentioned in discussions of such history is that, until about the middle of the twentieth century, judicial nominations weren't really partisan affairs.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Looks like Obama is stuck. I don't think people would punish the gop for obstruction since they never have. Gotta get out and vote for Hillary/Bernie.

teiresias

So Bush and Kasich hedged their bets and are the only two who did not call for the next president to nominate a judge. I guess Trump didn't either but I know the answer to that.

Honestly, I'm surprised at the restraint Trump showed, I fully expected something like, "I respect Scalia and I cannot wait to choose his successor."

Honestly, I'm surprised at the restraint Trump showed, I fully expected something like, "I respect Scalia and I cannot wait to choose his successor."
You should read the press release he put up o it. Great restraint

This day is so crazy that the RNC fraudulently using Trump's likeness to try and get fundraising contributions is not being talked about.

Looks like Obama is stuck. I don't think people would punish the gop for obstruction since they never have. Gotta get out and vote for Hillary/Bernie.

I think this is a very different scenario. The other examples of GOP obstruction were vague and hard to contextualize. Here one party is refusing to even consider the President's selection of a Supreme Court justice. If Obama nominates Sri Srinivasan, as I think is likely, you're talking about a guy that the Senate approve 97 - 0 just a couple of years ago. Not even giving him a hearing would be a terrible precedent.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think this is a very different scenario. The other examples of GOP obstruction were vague and hard to contextualize. Here one party is refusing to even consider the President's selection of a Supreme Court justice. If Obama nominates Sri Srinivasan, as I think is likely, you're talking about a guy that the Senate approve 97 - 0 just a couple of years ago. Not even giving him a hearing would be a terrible precedent.

Picking him would be a straight troll move. I love it.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
You should read the press release he put up o it. Great restraint

This day is so crazy that the RNC fraudulently using Trump's likeness to try and get fundraising contributions is not being talked about.

I just looked that up, assuming there is no clause he signed when he ran as a Republican, that's a clear cut case. The RNC fucked up.

http://redstatewatcher.com/article.asp?id=6599

Diablos

It's 11 degrees outside and I just wanted to play video games but now I'm glued to this news.

I wonder if McConnell is being totally serious or if he's making a Boehner kind of play here.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
It's 11 degrees outside and I just wanted to play video games but now I'm glued to this news.

I wonder if McConnell is being totally serious or if he's making a Boehner kind of play here.

Turtles do play the long game...

Y2Kev

There's just so much doubt. It looked like for sure the shutdown would hurt the gop in 2014 until obamacare's website blew up. Voters seem to like gridlock. The allure of letting the American people decide is innately democratic and yeoman, and the animosity republicans have for Obama (irrational and otherwise) makes me very skeptical.

Thus the election is immediately more important than ever. Any liberal who does not vote is as directly responsible for the suffering of millions as Scalia was in stopping progress. I indict all keyboard liberals today!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Compilation of all the GOP Presidential Candidates reactions:

Ben Carson

Marco Rubio

Ted Cruz

Donald Trump

Jeb Bush

John Kasich

Cruz is a freaking terrible person. No, Scalia wasn't an "American hero." No, we do not "owe it to him" to wait to appoint someone. That makes no logical sense.

There's just so much doubt. It looked like for sure the shutdown would hurt the gop in 2014 until obamacare's website blew up. Voters seem to like gridlock. The allure of letting the American people decide is innately democratic and yeoman, and the animosity republicans have for Obama (irrational and otherwise) makes me very skeptical.

Thus the election is immediately more important than ever. Any liberal who does not vote is as directly responsible for the suffering of millions as Scalia was in stopping progress. I indict all keyboard liberals today!

Amen.

Diablos

I feel like we're living in a time where everything is on the line all the time here in the US. Diablosing jokes aside, nights like this where the hyperpartisanship is present just as fast if not faster than people sending their condolences tells me we're heading somewhere really bleak in the long run.

sangreal

Even if voters don't care to punish Republicans for yet another unprecedented case of obstruction, which is likely, making this election a referendum on the court will almost certainly increase turnout and that tends to benefit Democrats

Y2Kev

I agree, but not if there's tremendous fractionalization in the party. I wonder if this could potentially help get Bernie elected were he to be the nominee--I would think the full coalition would be out to vote.

Also is it likely people are not to punish or likely to punish? I was confused.

Well be interesting to see how much he plays into the "We won't even let him nominate anyone" narrative.

If he's being smart, be won't even address it and just say that a man who served this country died today + call it a day of mourning and make the GOP look like insensitive jerks.

Diablos

Does anyone realize that in the year of Trump dominating the news cycle, Obama nominating a guy born in India might just benefit GOP turnout? Hate to say it but that plays right into Trump's hateful and xenophobic rhetoric that people are just gobbling up.

Does anyone realize that in the year of Trump dominating the news cycle, Obama nominating a guy born in India might just benefit GOP turnout? Hate to say it but that plays right into Trump's hateful and xenophobic rhetoric that people are just gobbling up.

GOP turnout if always high. Turnout is only really a problem in the Democratic side. High turnout=Dem win.

Therefore, a nominee that causes Republicans to act even more xenophobic will only help Dems.

Diablos

Graham gives a semi-vote of confidence to Hillary just so he can stick it to Obama? What a fucking idiot. He'd rather vote in a liberal judge over a moderate just so Obama doesn't have the satisfaction of doing anything big in his final year

Think before you speak Queen Lindsey.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The most interesting thing here is that Ted Cruz supposedly has a friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom