• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
jFNwf8H.png

Maledict

Back to polling numbers - if Kasich comes in second in South Carolina I actually think that gives him the best chance of being the nominee after. That state should be horrendously hostile to him, so hitting second there would be amazing for him. If he makes that and the other establishment candidates start folding, there's enough 'not Trump' votes out there to start giving him wins in the vote rich, winner takes all states like Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Especially if Cruz plays to type and hangs in until the bitter end, dividing the anti-establishment vote.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I'm going to a benefit concert with my girlfriend here in the next hour and I want to just sit outside refreshing this thread. This whole election was already crazy and then this happens. Goddamn.

sangreal

bill, no, what are you doing? you don't defend scalia like that when your wife is fighting for her life in a democratic primary

So let's say Democrats win the Senate majority in 2016. The senators get sworn in two weeks earlier than the president.

If Obama nominated a justice in that two-week window and they're confirmed after he leaves office, that still counts as Obama's nominee right

It would be kind of sad to have his last SCOTUS nominee swiped out from under him, even if it's under another Democrat.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
bill, no, what are you doing? you don't defend scalia like that when your wife is fighting for her life in a democratic primary

You can't shit on a guy who just died, that'd look even worse. Anyone who attacks him over speaking well of the dead is going to look like a grade-A asshole.

Back to polling numbers - if Kasich comes in second in South Carolina I actually think that gives him the best chance of being the nominee after. That state should be horrendously hostile to him, so hitting second there would be amazing for him. If he makes that and the other establishment candidates start folding, there's enough 'not Trump' votes out there to start giving him wins in the vote rich, winner takes all states like Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Especially if Cruz plays to type and hangs in until the bitter end, dividing the anti-establishment vote.

If the race narrows, Kasich isn't really the best position to consolidate as he has poor favorables and a lot of those Rubio/Jeb votes would actually go to Cruz or Trump. He's probably the candidate most poorly positioned to taking Trump one-on-one. Well other than Jeb.

Teggy

What's this about Cruz telling people Trump won't be on the ballot? Google is telling me nothing.

Also:

Michele Bachmann ‏@MicheleBachmann 3h3 hours ago
Reading a Scalia dissent was akin to reading a Shakespearean sonnet. RIP

"Jiggery-pokery"
"Pure applesauce"

Sessions on CNN is claiming that appointments this late in a term don't normally make it through and that Obama has already had his way by picking two Justices. I'd expect to hear that a lot more from the Republicans.

Yoda

I don't see why he had to say anything at all other than offer his condolences

His death (Scalia) has profound consequences for the governance of this country, the Republicans were already attempting to pre-empt him by claiming the next president should fill the vacancy. If he didn't say anything the debate would allow the opposition to push said narrative without any counter-balance. Now the debate will surly descend into Partisan zingers about why Obama ought not appoint someone. Knowing the Republicans they will over-play their hand, ideally giving Obama leverage to get his nominee through.

Sessions on CNN is claiming that appointments this late in a term don't normally make it through and that Obama has already had his way by picking two Justices. I'd expect to hear that a lot more from the Republicans.
Pretty pitiful argument. Appointments this late in the term usually aren't for a Supreme Court justice. And Obama got re-elected after nominating his two, is that just what every president is supposed to get? Because Reagan got three.

User 406

Banned
SCALIA: Lady, shall I lie in your lap?

JUSTICE: No, my lord.

SCALIA: If I ever joined an opinion for the Court that began thus, I would hide my head in a bag.

JUSTICE: Ay, my lord.

Diablos

His death (Scalia) has profound consequences for the governance of this country, the Republicans were already attempting to pre-empt him by claiming the next president should fill the vacancy. If he didn't say anything the debate would allow the opposition to push said narrative without any counter-balance. Now the debate will surly descend into Partisan zingers about why Obama ought not appoint someone. Knowing the Republicans they will over-play their hand, ideally giving Obama leverage to get his nominee through.
All Mitch McConnell has to do is not bring up the vote. It's not like this is tied to the budget or debt ceiling, default is not looming if the GOP blocks the vote.

All Mitch McConnell has to do is not bring up the vote. It's not like this is tied to the budget or debt ceiling, default is not looming if the GOP blocks the vote.
I dunno if he's staring down polls showing Ayotte, Toomey, FL-SEN etc. going down that might force his hand.

He knows the risks. GOP WH>purple state senators.
And how does this help a Republican get into the White House, exactly?

Democrats will now have a HUGE (not spelling it yuge, sorry internet) reason to turn out to vote. Like this is absolutely a "first 100 days" kind of thing. Republicans do too, but there are more of us.

Diablos

And how does this help a Republican get into the White House, exactly?
I just mean why worry about Toomey for example. Republicans would trade him for the WH without thinking twice. They can win without getting PA or FL if they carry OH or vice versa if the map/candidate is right for them.

I just mean why worry about Toomey for example. Republicans would trade him for the WH without thinking twice. They can win without getting PA or FL if they carry OH or vice versa if the map/candidate is right for them.
So picking Kasich? Have they given any inclination of doing so?

Is there anyone else up there who could?

The only way the Republicans get the White House without Florida is by getting PA or something even crazier like Wisconsin AND Nevada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom