• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's insane seeing how intertwined the media and the political establishment really is. Not one media outlet dared to mention the audience booing in a negative way or question why it was so biased.

The parties have the media by the short and curlies when it comes to primary debates. Say something wrong and all of a sudden there's no debate on your network.

SmokeMaxX

It's insane seeing how intertwined the media and the political establishment really is. Not one media outlet dared to mention the audience booing in a negative way or question why it was so biased.

F
The live audience: Enough already! They're annoying; they're biased toward some candidates (they'd cheer at anything Rubio said, regardless of the merit); and biased against others (stop booing Trump and Cruz just because they disagree with your favorite son, Rubio). It's an age-old debating trick: Stack the audience, and watch how they sway the voters (especially the voters at home). At the end it became a contest on whose supporters could yelp the loudest. What nonsense.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/14/opini...ticle_organicsidebar_expansion&iref=obnetwork

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm not really digging his resume.

But here's the thing: with the Republicans straight up saying that they'll oppose ANYBODY, Obama's got a lot more leeway than he might otherwise. Normally, the Republicans could poo-poo his candidate on grounds of their positions and history, but now? Not so much. Might as well go for broke.

Or you could do the south park strategy to get around Comedy Central censors.

After every rejection, replace it with someone slightly more liberal, so in 6 months republicans wont just be pressured by how much time they've wasted, but also pressured by the prospect of the picks getting worse and worse for them.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Or you could do the south park strategy to get around Comedy Central censors.

After every rejection, replace it with someone slightly more liberal, so in 6 months republicans wont just be pressured by how much time they've wasted, but also pressured by the prospect of the picks getting worse and worse for them.

That would be perfect.

Jenov

If only we had any idea how things are going there. There were tons of polls leading up to the 08 Nevada Caucus and they were accurate. This time, we get one poll from a Republican pollster (who strangely decided not to poll the Republicans even though the Republican caucus is only a few days later hmmm).

LMAO look at the article the Free Beacon did on Rachel Maddow's coverage of their poll: http://freebeacon.com/politics/rachel-maddow-free-beacon-nevada-polll/

Unfortunately, some people are easily swayed by misinformation.

What in the world, that poll is a sham. Why is 538 using it??

“Everything we know about political strategy suggests that Trump's decision to attack George W. Bush will backfire,” said Curt Anderson, the GOP strategist who guided Bobby Jindal’s campaign last year. “If it doesn't backfire, then it will be official; nothing can stop him.”

Wow, one of the heads of Bobby Jindal's campaign thinks that Trump fucked up.That's an opinion I'm going to take seriously.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/trump-9-11-debate-219273

Nobody ever talks about the 9/11 Commission Report. You'd think Trump would bring it up when discussing how Bush's administration and the intelligence community failed. Hoping for Trump to substantiate himself on the rare arguments where he's in the right is a lost cause though. I just find it so patently absurd that he's the only person up there I can look to for representation on this argument.

Presented without comment: Trump Says Special Access to U.S. for Cuban Immigrants Is Wrong

"You know we have a system now for bringing people into the country, and what we should be doing is we should be bringing people who are terrific people who have terrific records of achievement, accomplishment. … You have people that have been in the system for years (waiting to immigrate to America), and it's very unfair when people who just walk across the border, and you have other people that do it legally."

In January, Republican presidential candidate Sen. Marco Rubio, who is of Cuban decent, filed legislation to restrict federal benefits to Cuban immigrants unless the new arrivals could prove persecution.

Unlike Trump, Rubio stopped short of wanting to prevent their escape from the communist island.

"It is outrageous whenever the American people's generosity is exploited. It is particularly outrageous when individuals who claim to be fleeing repression in Cuba are welcomed and allowed to collect federal assistance based on their plight, only to return often to the very place they claimed to be fleeing," Rubio said in a statement at the time.

Republican presidential candidate and Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, whose father was Cuban, has said he believes the Cuban Adjustment Act is still needed as long as the government there remains communist.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Warren schools McConnell on the Constitution:

This is the kind of inane argument I had in mind with my initial post on this subject. It's amazing in what contempt Democratic politicians like Warren hold their constituents.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Could be Clinton's team just trying to create a narrative. If we get a bunch of people writing stuff like this and she has a comfortable win then it looks better than had she won and everyone expected it. Due to the lack of polling it's hard to tell what's really going on, are they nervous or are they playing up the expectations?

That's a whole lot of words that don't really say anything we didn't already know. Sanders is obviously making up ground but to the extent of it is the question.

Wow, and a new conservative PAC that ties Clinton to Trump on Immigration in Nevada (to try and sway the race to Sanders): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dqp4Wsw8Jk

Things are getting dirty.

I think both of these races are more likely than not heading for the convention.

On the republican side, assuming things stay relatively stable, Trump will take SC and the only question is whether the math relative to winner take all states prevents Trump from gaining enough delegates or not.

On the democratic side I think the state of the race is a tie right now but Bernie is on an incredible trajectory where he could potentially win outright if this keeps up. As is however, they just split everything between the 60-40 percent band and I'm not sure how that maths out. Could come down to super-delegates.

It increasingly feels like Hillary is just playing from a losing position.

If Hillary loses Nevada the sky really will be falling. Even if she still won the nomination it'd leave me worried that she really is a weak candidate that would struggle in the general election too.

Diablos

I'm not sure why Breyer and Ginsburg didn't step down when the time was right. I.e. Before 2014 elections. Surely they know what they were risking.

Diablos

Bernie is such a narcissistic asshole. He and his campaign are so full of themselves it's ridiculous. They're promising everything they can think of and delivering nothing but the next Walter Mondale. This is so infuriating. I wish he never jumped in the race. Biden where are you

Bernie is such a narcissistic asshole. He and his campaign are so full of themselves it's ridiculous. They're promising everything they can think of and delivering nothing but the next Walter Mondale. This is so infuriating. I wish he never jumped in the race. Biden where are you

Could you for once stop acting so whiny?

If Hillary loses Nevada the sky really will be falling. Even if she still won the nomination it'd leave me worried that she really is a weak candidate that would struggle in the general election too.

Hillary is and always has been a weak candidate. She is the epitome of a Beltway insider with no real guiding ethos, other than a generic commitment to whatever moderate liberalism presents itself as being at a particular point in time, and she campaigns arrogantly and lazily, taking for granted that people should vote for her because she's a Clinton, and a Democrat, damn it! She polls unfavorably with non-Democrats, and she plays right into perceptions that she sees herself as corrupt and "above it all" when she does dumb (not unprecedented, but very short-sighted) shit like keeping a private email server in the age of Anonymous. The only reason she's an okay candidate in this election is because the Republicans are imploding. If they got their shit together and put together a Kasich/Rubio ticket, or something like that, I think she'd be toast, and if it were her vs. Romney in 2012, where she had a pretty similar first term to Obama, I think Romney would have taken it.

Edit: Jesus, Diablos, are you this panicky and reactionary in every other aspect of your life?

Krowley

I've read in a couple of other places that this CBS SC poll, on the dem side, has the AA vote weighted at 62%, which is apparently 7% more than 2008. They've been accurate so far this year, and for all I know they have a great reason for weighing it that way, but it does seem odd at first glance.

Shifting the percentages back to 2008 levels apparently tightens things up considerably.

Kyosaiga

Banned
Yup. I'm almost starting to to despise him as much as the GOP.

Goddamn, I don't believe Hillary should've been coronated but shit this election is too important and Sanders has way too much baggage and could end up fucking things up way too much.

It's kind of funny. Obama won Iowa, lost New Hampshire, lost Nevada, and then won South Carolina.

Clinton may do the same, or even win Nevada. But this is the time to panic, apparently. I know it's not the same, but the comparison does intrigue me.

New voter registration in Nevada is pretty bonkers compared to previous years too, if Maddow's stats were correct. Going to be an interesting day.
That's why Reid hasn't made an endorsement btw.

It might help Hillary, but ultimately the NVDP wants to drive up voter registration.

FiggyCal

Banned

Nah. Too obvious

tmarg

Yup. I'm almost starting to to despise him as much as the GOP.

Goddamn, I don't believe Hillary should've been coronated but shit this election is too important and Sanders has way too much baggage and could end up fucking things up way too much.

This is about the easiest primary any non-incumbent could possibly hope for. If Hillary emerges too weakened to win the ge, especially against these republican clowns, she was always a shit candidate.

Frankly, at this point one of the biggest concerns I have about her is that even with the deck completely stacked in her favor, her supporters are still whining about how unfair everyone is to her and making excuses.

What am I reading?

We need someone like him, we can't keep moving to the right. Our political spectrum is completely out of whack!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom