• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.
This what you dont get: Sanders is way more charismatic than Clinton. His promises are cool and all, but people just like him that much and prefer him over Clinton because he seems honest and compromised. Even if he couldnt deliver with his promises, people would still prefer him over Clinton.

Independents and some Democrats said the same thing about Dubya. Sometimes being pragmatic really is just better.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg calls Antonin Scalia a friend and says they check in all the time.

And let us remember Scalia is the guy who said "If we cannot have moral feelings against homosexuality, can we have it against murder?"
That's absurd and dare I say it, offensive too. I repeat: Henry Kissinger said it was no American concern if the Soviets started gassing Jews. No concern. Nothing. "Maybe a humanitarian concern." ha. Now this is vintage Kissinger?

You do realize that everyone was buddies in DC before Newt decided to firebomb the place to the ground and made partisanship the new world order. It was how things got done in the first place. It is why Kagan and Scalia were good friends even though they couldn't be further apart in views. Bernie's best friend in the Senate was Jim Inhofe.
That isn't good enough for this discussion. I have a hard time letting Kissinger's endorsement of another holocaust slide by so easily.

The Nevada Culinary Union will not endorse on either side but they have invited Trump to a negotiation the night of the Republican caucus because he's 50% owner of the Trump Hotel in Vegas. Hilarious.

Also, Nevada is weird. You can vote in both party's caucus and there's nothing preventing it.

Republicans should be organizing people to vote Sanders, and Democrats with Trump.

ivysaur12

Banned
That's absurd and dare I say it, offensive too. I repeat: Henry Kissinger said it was no American concern if the Soviets started gassing Jews. No concern. Nothing. "Maybe a humanitarian concern." ha. Now this is vintage Kissinger?

Barbara Boxer calls Jim Inhofe a friend and says they check in all the time.

And let us remember Inhofe is the guy who said global warming is "the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people."

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/05/the-statesman/309283/

Read this, and then tell me again that Kissinger is a bad person. Half of you will say he is, and half of you will have changed your mind, but most people will have learned something.

The world is a crazy, horrible place. But love and nice people do not fix it. Obama abstained against the council of Clinton from bombing Syria or giving serious assistance to rebel forces. Now, Assad and Russia not only call the shots, there, but Russia has maintained its influence there.

Bomb, pay, or be irrelevant.

kirblar

what's depressing is that a presidential election process, without any existing local ground work and with lower voter turnout than the previous competitive cycle, is unironically being referred to as a "revolution"
Someone in the press noted they were seeing a ton of people working for Sanders who had previously been involved in OWS.

It'll end the same way.

That isn't good enough for this discussion. I have a hard time letting Kissinger's endorsement of another holocaust slide by so easily.

Why so? Because what the Soviet Union does is the USA's concern? This isn't some third world tinpot dictator we are talking about here, this is the only other superpower in the world with the capability to fight the US to MAD in a conventional war.

It was complete realpolitik and it was heartless but utterly pragmatic.

User 406

Banned
Trump truly is the most dangerous man running.

source

One is forced to wonder if the right would be capable of reacting with even more contempt for Sanders than they have for Bams or Hills. Also specifically when the antisemitism would come out.

Bernie really needs to broaden his positive messaging by really hammering more on ideas that everyone supports like having Michael Savage dragged off by secret police.

How about a nice stipend for those of us who paid back our loans? I'd go for that.

Y2Kev confirmed as filthy poor who couldn't afford a proper trust find to pay for his college education, entrance to luxurious beautiful rich high society forever denied.

I've been thinking, and maybe revolution is a good word to describe Bernie's plan for improved voter turnout, since getting higher turnout in the midterms would probably be harder than doing an actual fire and guillotines thing.

But then if we did start lopping off heads or making fundamental changes to how government works like the stupid dictionary entries say, what would we call that? Revolution Xtreme? 3volution? iVolU?

And let us remember Inhofe is the guy who said global warming is "the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people."
I repeat: When Clinton thinks of that old war criminal who didn't mind if the Soviets gassed Jews, a man who felt the President should be able to assassinate anybody, a man who supports undermining foreign democracies, a man who cannot travel to many countries because he'll be arrested and face a trial in the Hague, she thinks of a warm friend and a great mentor.

Either say something substantive or stop repeating the same bad line over and over again. The only thing you have shown is that you don't know who Kissinger is, and you don't understand just how close Kissinger and Clinton are.

Yup, politics creates unusual friendships all the time. Ted Kennedy and Orrin Hatch, Paul Wellstone and Jesse Helms, Al Franken and Rand Paul to name a few.

Obama's closest friend in the Senate was Tom Coburn, a man who said he supported the death penalty for "abortionists and other people who take life".

ivysaur12

Banned
I repeat: When Clinton thinks of that old war criminal who didn't mind if the Soviets gassed Jews, a man who felt the President should be able to assassinate anybody, a man who supports undermining foreign democracies, a man who cannot travel to many countries because he'll be arrested and face a trial in the Hague, she thinks of a warm friend and a great mentor.

Either say something substantive or stop repeating the same bad line over and over again. The only thing you have shown is that you don't know who Kissinger is, and you don't understand just how close Kissinger and Clinton are.

I'll counter with that and say that you don't understand how DC works, or even friendships.

Imagine if Biden or some other respected Democrat were to actually run.

We would be talking about how the Democratic establishment was splintered just like how the Republican side was and how Sanders trouncing Biden and Clinton would lead to either the greatest victory/loss the Democrats would ever see.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/n...s-show-horrific-scale-boko-haram-attack-baga/

Should we invade Nigeria? When you are a national security adviser, the disctintion between an American foreign policy objective and a humanitarian crisis is an important one. And the president will understand this disctintion, too. So don't act alarmed that Kissinger was speaking very frankly in private to President Nixon.

I'll counter with that and say that you don't understand how DC works, or even friendships.
Please explain it to me while including the things Kissinger said about murdering Jews and how Clinton is a close friend and confidant of his.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/n...s-show-horrific-scale-boko-haram-attack-baga/

Should we invade Nigeria? When you are a national security adviser, the disctintion between an American foreign policy objective and a humanitarian crisis is an important one. And the president will understand this disctintion, too. So don't act alarmed that Kissinger was speaking very frankly in private to Presiden Nixon.
This is irrelevant, Kissinger was saying that it wasn't even worthwhile to allow Soviet Jews to emigrate to the US. He was saying that the US shouldn't even bother to do the least it can.

ITT: Bernie supporters discover that most politicians are pragmatic adults who are able to make friends regardless of political ideology

I mean ffs Bernie's biggest legislative proposal in the last couple years was a bill he wrote with John McCain.

If you want a president who actively and deliberately repels people who disagree with him you should vote for Cruz. Although he seems to have that effect on people who agree with him as well.

dabig2

Getting awfully neocon in here with Kissinger being described as "pragmatic" to justify his horrid decisions and despicable disregard for all human life.

ivysaur12

Banned
Please explain it to me while including the things Kissinger said about murdering Jews and how Clinton is a close friend and confidant of his.

People are friends with people whom they disagree with, even vehemently. People are complicated and are motivated by different factors.

Friendships are complicated. People in DC often become friends with people who are ideologically opposed to them because these are telegraphic people who all work in an extremely close vicinity to one another.

I don't doubt that RBG found some of Scalia's opinions to be downright vile and disgusting. I expect he felt the same way about RBG's. That didn't stop them from being one of the best examples of straight male/female friendship since Ron Swanson and Leslie Knoppe.

If you can't be friends with someone whom you hold significant disagreements with, that's unfortunate. Because there are a lot of nice people out there who just happen to be wrong.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
People are friends with people whom they disagree with, even vehemently. People are complicated and are motivated by different factors.

Friendships are complicated. People in DC often become friends with people who are ideologically opposed to them because these are telegraphic people who all work in an extremely close vicinity to one another.

I don't doubt that RBG found some of Scalia's opinions to be downright vile and disgusting. I expect he felt the same way about RBG's. That didn't stop them from being one of the best examples of straight male/female friendship since Ron Swanson and Leslie Knoppe.

If you can't be friends with someone whom you hold significant disagreements with, that's unfortunate. Because there are a lot of nice people out there who just happen to be wrong.

Amen. Growing up as a liberal in a conservative area, I would have been screwed if people applied the purity test to friendships like folks appear to do now a days.

NeoXChaos

Alex Seitz-Wald ‏@aseitzwald 3h3 hours ago
Bashful Sen. Tim Kaine to @ChrisJansing on VP question: "I'll be sitting with the senators," not VP spot, during the convention.

Ready for Julian Castro it seems.

http://www.salon.com/2015/04/17/the..._henry_kissinger_should_be_mandatory_reading/

Look at this stuff. How can you say that anyone in US leadership should be eager to hear Kissinger's opinion on something? It is disgusting to humor Kissinger at all. He belongs in a little jail cell, not at an expensive dinner with celebrities.

I think we really do just have a profound disagreement about this. I don't understand why, but we do.

Not laughing, just noticing your language.
Ok but how am I wrong to emphasize his terrible comments that the US would do nothing politically to save Jews from being gassed in the Soviet Union? It's revolting and he has never been made to apologize since the tapes came out through the Nixon library.

I don't think there's any problem with being cordial or friends with people you disagree with, even people with outright ugly views like Scalia or Kissenger. My problem is moreso the idea of praising Kissenger, or arguing that you "listen to everybody" as a means of deflecting Kissenger's bloody record. Yes Kissenger is in many ways a pioneer in many regards. But when I hear Hillary praise him or laugh abut Gadaffi's murder it almost feels like she is overcompensating for something.

I suppose it's the LBJ conundrum. LBJ did many truly great things. Yet he also deliberately escalated a military conflict based on false pretenses, which resulted in the death of thousands of US soldiers and innocent people.

SamVimes

Kissinger commited genocide and created dictatorships in democratically elected states. This is not really a divergence of opinion thing, the guy is a huge piece of shit that ruined millions of lives.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Sean Spicer, the RNC's communications director, suggested that Trump's claim was unfounded.

"Each candidate received 100 tickets which is the largest amount so far. The candidates as a whole were the largest group of ticket holders," Spicer told Business Insider when asked about Trump's comments.

"Bu-bu-but we swear we didn't pack the audience with paid shills!"

This is a terrible answer that completely avoids the issue.

noshten

ITT: Bernie supporters discover that most politicians are pragmatic adults who are able to make friends regardless of political ideology

I mean ffs Bernie's biggest legislative proposal in the last couple years was a bill he wrote with John McCain.

A lot of people realize how the system works - they are still electing Sanders or Trump to spite it, one to hopefully change things for the better while the other likely to lead to ruin. I mean do you honestly think that people would be voting Sanders and Trump if they were satisfied by the system.

After Obama everyone has had the realization and a lot of the youth you dismiss already knows the things you are bringing up. There is virtually not a day where a person supporting Sanders online would not see someone post about unicorns, rainbows, hammers and sickles.
It's amusing but at the same time - continues the condescending tone of certain supporters that has been present through out the race.

ivysaur12

Banned
Kissinger commited genocide and created dictatorships in democratically elected states. This is not really a divergence of opinion thing, the guy is a huge piece of shit that ruined millions of lives.

He did. He also opened China and has a unique insight into many aspects of foreign affairs that you might not agree with, but could be vital towards someone attempting to have a more holistic look at this country's foreign affairs.

I dunno. I find nothing wrong with asking someone you vehemently disagree with for their opinions on something in this case, just like I would have no problem with Obama asking Bush for advice or Clinton asking Reagan for advice.

Ready for Julian Castro it seems.

Reading about Julian Castro, it doesn't seem like someone I would want in the vp spot. Seems like he's just sitting around doing nothing waiting to get it. He's good at making friends, but is too scared to make decisions or do anything memorable in case it makes him look bad.

Ok but how am I wrong to emphasize his terrible comments that the US would do nothing politically to save Jews from being gassed in the Soviet Union? It's revolting and he has never been made to apologize since the tapes came out through the Nixon library.

It seems like you are trying to attribute them to Clinton by association because she took advice from Kissinger. Taking advice from someone that formerly held your old job isn't exactly strange, especially in Washington. It can be useful to hear another perspective, even if it's one you don't agree with.

He did. He also opened China and has a unique insight into many aspects of foreign affairs that you might not agree with, but could be vital towards someone attempting to have a more holistic look at this country's foreign affairs.

I dunno. I find nothing wrong with asking someone you vehemently disagree with for their opinions on something in this case, just like I would have no problem with Obama asking Bush for advice or Clinton asking Reagan for advice.
To only vehemently disagree with a mass murderer but still seek counsel from them seems like some kind of bizarre doublethink. It seems as if we have only lowered our standards for discourse.

It seems like you are trying to attribute them to Clinton by association because she took advice from Kissinger. Taking advice from someone that formerly held your old job isn't exactly strange, especially in Washington. It can be useful to hear another perspective, even if it's one you don't agree with.
Yes, you're right that I'm doing that to Clinton. Clinton has already done that to herself by choosing Kissinger as a key confidant.

CCS

Banned
To only vehemently disagree with a mass murderer but still seek counsel from them seems like some kind of bizarre doublethink. It seems as if we have only lowered our standards for discourse.

You don't learn much from people who agree with you on everything. Often you best develop your views by talking with people you disagree with vehemently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom