• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoda

Why haven't any Republican candidates used Trump's statement on abandoning Iraq against him?

"Declare victory and leave. That's how you get out."

Now he's blaming Obama for ISIS. Trump was basically repeating the Democratic line to "cut and run" (as Bush phrased it) for years in the mid to late 2000's.

The problem is anytime you are advocating for Iraq you are losing. Iraq isn't a popular decision even inside the Republican party. The best they can do is "Well given what we knew at the time..." which isn't a rebuttal and sounds defensive. Trump knows they can't win this argument and in politics when you are on the defensive you are losing.

The Drudge report is just a clickbait headline, no conspiratorial shit (yet) in the article.

Zona

My wife was sleeping in bed this morning with a pillow over her head so she didn't get light in her eyes. I'm pretty sure that is more likely than suffocation.

That's how I nap, keeps the light out of my eyes and cuts down on all the noise from my roommates.

*Gasp* I've been trying to assassinate myself and I didn't even know it!

NeoXChaos

CbSBs3rXIAEUtu8.jpg:large

Jeff Sessions in 2008

NeoXChaos

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/16/u...stion-cost-of-bernie-sanderss-plans.html?_r=0

“The single-payer idea has enormous appeal: coverage for everyone, some effort to use the government’s bargaining power to hold down overall costs, clean out the godawful administrative mess that the U.S. health care system is and save money there,” said Henry J. Aaron, a longtime health economist at the Brookings Institution in Washington.

But he called it a “fairy tale” in this polarized political climate. Along with other economists in a “lefty chat group” he joins online, Mr. Aaron said he believes that if Mr. Sanders were elected and fought for a single-payer plan, it “would rapidly destroy his administration by using up every ounce of political capital he’s got.”

On his campaign website, Mr. Sanders proposes more than $18 trillion in new spending over 10 years; he does not account for some ideas he favors, like universal prekindergarten and child care, that could put the total above $20 trillion. About $14 trillion of the total is for health care; the rest is chiefly for infrastructure, free college, Social Security, paid family leave and clean-energy initiatives.

Adding $20 trillion to projected federal spending would mean about a 37 percent increase in spending through fiscal year 2026 — close to the 40 percent that Mrs. Clinton suggested. But Kenneth E. Thorpe, a prominent health policy economist at Emory University who advised the Clintons in the 1990s, recently concluded that Mr. Sanders’s health plan would actually cost $27 trillion, not $14 trillion, which would put total spending for all of Mr. Sanders’s initiatives above $30 trillion through 2026.

“The numbers don’t remotely add up,” said Austan Goolsbee, formerly chairman of President Obama’s Council of Economic Advisers, now at the University of Chicago.

Alluding to one progressive analyst’s early criticism of the Sanders agenda as “puppies and rainbows,” Mr. Goolsbee said that after his and others’ further study, “They’ve evolved into magic flying puppies with winning Lotto tickets tied to their collars.”

:jnc

How is it that the left can criticize supply side economics as bullshit math (which it mostly is) but then swallow this equally egregious nonsense without questioning it?

Diablos

I would love to know how many Bernie voters REALLY think they'll get free college and single payer if he is elected... among all of his other promises. Do they have any idea how the government works?

I would love to know how many Bernie voters REALLY think they'll get free college and single payer if he is elected... among all of his other promises. Do they have any idea how the government works?
Well Bernie says it will at least be a fight of several years. Bernie has a genuinely pragmatic approach to enacting his policies. Why do you think he calls for a revolution? He never said it'll be easy.

Stop putting words in his mouth.

dramatis

He's got 99 problems, but a donor ain't one.

So either he will spend it all or give it to the DNC? Wonder if he would actually give it to them?
Supposedly he can keep it in the bank for future election campaigns, I think?

Otherwise it's donations elsewhere, he's not allowed to spend it on himself technically.

NeoXChaos

Does debt forgiveness go along with that free college?

These college kids won't being seeing free college right away so they will still have loans and some by then will have graduated.

This rhetoric of specifically targeting and attacking supporters of a candidate versus the candidate itself reminds me a lot of Obama's campaign where people painted Obama supporters as naive people who want free stuff and are only voting for him because he's black. Not that these criticisms against Sanders and his supporters aren't legit. Also not comparing Obama and Sanders in terms of anything else, as those two are worlds apart. Obama has always been a master class speaker. If anything its more indicative of Clinton supporters.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Aside: Holy crap at the Republican thread in OT (the immoral one).

It would super duper suck being even a moderate Republican on GAF, lol.

Gotchaye

Does debt forgiveness go along with that free college?

Yeah the free college thing is interesting because it's hard to imagine that anyone old enough to vote for him believes that they'll personally get a tuition break going forward. Likewise I'd bet that most of these people don't have to worry about health insurance either - many don't even have to deal with the Obamacare exchanges since they're on their parents' insurance. I feel like the typical Sanders supporter is more trying to make a positive impact on society than trying to vote themselves college and health insurance.

Why do they keep bringing up the Thorpe analysis of sanders, yes his plan has a lot of problems but Thorpe's analysis has a lot of problems itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom