• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoXChaos

But that's not how the system works. Ideally the system would rewards equal representation based on voters desires--that's not what is happening. I realize we're not a representative democracy, but you can't claim it's a democratic process when the powers that be can just give support to whomever they want. How can Bernie and Hillary tie in IA, and he blows her out in NH, and she still has more delegates (not even counting unpledged delegates from other states, of which she has like 350)?

We can't tell people every vote is important and then the Democratic Party just ignores them.

This must be your first rodeo. This happened last time in 08, 04, 00, 96, 92, 88, 84, 80, 76.

Obama and Clinton both had superdelegates. Hillary's just playing the game better this time. The popular vote like the EC does not determine the nomination/presidency. Delegates/Electors do.

ivysaur12

Banned
I also think that Berniementum necessitates him to come off on top in Nevada and then carry that to keep it close in South Carolina. We have no polls for Nevada and at this point, the race is not close in South Carolina. Nevada could help, but if it's even a big-ish win for Clinton, that could really sour him heading into South Carolina. And if Bernie is weakened after SC, there's no chance he has at coming off on top on Super Tuesday if Hillary has the wind at her back.

I don't see him coming close to closing that gap with black voters. I feel like it would've happened by now since it's a Real Race versus a coronation. And that'll hurt him in the March states.

"this business with the Super Delegates" is going to be a persistent thing going forward even when she's ahead with pledged delegates, I'm assuming. Where people either cannot tell the difference or deliberately ignore the difference between a party nomination process and an election.

But that's not how the system works. Ideally the system would rewards equal representation based on voters desires--that's not what is happening. I realize we're not a representative democracy, but you can't claim it's a democratic process when the powers that be can just give support to whomever they want. How can Bernie and Hillary tie in IA, and he blows her out in NH, and she still has more delegates (not even counting unpledged delegates from other states, of which she has like 350)?

We can't tell people every vote is important and then the Democratic Party just ignores them.

Bernie knows this. He didn't campaign for Democrats for their votes, he knew the stakes going in. He himself IS a superdelegate.

If he didn't care he would have run as an independent. But supporters cannot say they didn't know that he needed superdelegates to win when they themselves weren't informed in the first place and knew about Bernie BECAUSE he is running as a Democrat.

This must be your first rodeo. This happened last time in 08, 04, 00, 96, 92, 88, 84, 80, 76.

Obama and Clinton both had superdelegates. Hillary's just playing the game better this time.

I acknowledge that. But just because a flawed system is continually used doesn't mean it's a good system. I don't like the idea of equating electing the leader of the free world to a game.

"this business with the Super Delegates" is going to be a persistent thing going forward even when she's ahead with pledged delegates, I'm assuming. Where people either cannot tell the difference or deliberately ignore the difference between a party nomination process and an election.

Tell that to news outlets that on both Iowa and NH election nights were showing "Delegate Counters" which factored all of Hillary's super delegates in making it look like Sanders was basically buried. I only saw a few that seperated pledged and unpledged delegates, in most situations it was just an ambiguous monochromatic bar.

I also think that Berniementum necessitates him to come off on top in Nevada and then carry that to keep it close in South Carolina. We have no polls for Nevada and at this point, the race is not close in South Carolina. Nevada could help, but if it's even a big-ish win for Clinton, that could really sour him heading into South Carolina. And if Bernie is weakened after SC, there's no chance he has at coming off on top on Super Tuesday if Hillary has the wind at her back.

I don't see him coming close to closing that gap with black voters. I feel like it would've happened by now since it's a Real Race versus a coronation. And that'll hurt him in the March states.
The cook political report posted earlier said Bernie actually fell 6 delegates short in Iowa (probably path to nomination). In New Hampshire he just about hit his mark at 15 delegates. And now in Nevada he needs to outperform Clinton by 3 delegates (which I would assume is somewhere north of 5% margin?). Anyways Clinton outperformed him by 6 delegates in his most favorable states. Even if he closes the gap and relies on bernmentum, it wont be enough to turn the ship around. The cold hard math is going to hit him and his supporters very, very hard.

NeoXChaos

I acknowledge that. But just because a flawed system is continually used doesn't mean it's a good system. I don't like the idea of equating electing the leader of the free world to a game.

Tell that to news outlets that on both Iowa and NH election nights were showing "Delegate Counters" which factored all of Hillary's super delegates in making it look like Sanders was basically buried. I only saw a few that seperated pledged and unpledged delegates, in most situations it was just an ambiguous monochromatic bar.

you also have to realize that Sanders can win the popular vote and still lose the nomination.

Iolo

So Melkr_ is right, she does have to win by 400 for it to be legitimate.

The cook political report posted earlier said Bernie actually fell 6 delegates short in Iowa (probably path to nomination). In New Hampshire he just about hit his mark at 15 delegates. And now in Nevada he needs to outperform Clinton by 3 delegates (which I would assume is somewhere north of 5% margin?). Anyways Clinton outperformed him by 6 delegates in his most favorable states. Even if he closes the gap and relies on bernmentum, it wont be enough to turn the ship around. The cold hard math is going to hit him and his supporters very, very hard.

Like when you receive your first paycheck and notice all the taxes. Reality checks are rough.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
GOP has to be extremely worried right now because of the way this is all panning out.

Yes, if two of the three establishment guys of Rubio/Cruz/Jeb drop out, they can overtake Trump. However, I don't think they drop out any time soon; plus, Carson and Kasich will eventually drop out, and I think Trump is the guy who will get the majority of those voters.

Then, even if Rubio can magically pull out a miracle win, Trump is assuredly going to blame the RNC for stacking crowds against him and runs third party, siphoning a ton of GOP votes away from Rubio. It is a huge problem for them.

I wouldn't personally count them, but they're part of the process. And the process currently underway isn't "electing the leader of the free world" it's selecting a candidate to run under a political party's banner.

VRMN

you also have to realize that Sanders can win the popular vote and still lose the nomination.

As I recall, in 2008 Clinton won the popular vote but Obama won by racking up delegates in low turnout caucuses. He played the game better. She learned from him and is applying those lessons in 2016.

GOP has to be extremely worried right now because of the way this is all panning out.

Yes, if two of the three establishment guys of Rubio/Cruz/Jeb drop out, they can overtake Trump. However, I don't think they drop out any time soon; plus, Carson and Kasich will eventually drop out, and I think Trump is the guy who will get the majority of those voters.

Then, even if Rubio can magically pull out a miracle win, Trump is assuredly going to blame the RNC for stacking crowds against him and runs third party, siphoning a ton of GOP votes away from Rubio. It is a huge problem for them.

Kasich is campaigning in Michigan already. Jeb won't leave before Florida. That vote is going to remain splintered until it is too late. The so called proportional states are not actually that proportional, Trump can get over 50% of the delegates in those states with the numbers he is polling.

Yes, if two of the three establishment guys of Rubio/Cruz/Jeb drop out, they can overtake Trump. However, I don't think they drop out any time soon; plus Carson and Kasich will eventually drop out, and I think Trump is the guy who will get the majority of those voters.

Then, even if Rubio can magically pull out a miracle win, Trump is assuredly going to blame te RNC for stacking crowds against him and runs third party, siphoning a ton of GOP votes away from Rubio. It is a huge problem for them.
I don't see Rubio's path to the nomination, I really don't. Especially once Trump wins South Carolina. Let's dispel of this fiction that the "establishment" vote is going to equally disperse to another "establishment" candidate. Like for instance Flroida, that's one of Trump's best states. He is going to run roughshod if he irreparably harms Cruz here. Never since Eulysses S. Grant will the south be set ablaze when Trump reigns supreme March 1st. This race is over.

I understand how the system works, begrudgingly. The issue is though, does everyone? Most people clearly don't understand how superdelegates work, and just see that Sanders tied and win handily, but is still trailing. That is the message they are getting, and when it's the "anti-establishment" candidate ending up with less support despite more votes, people especially take notice.

I wouldn't personally count them, but they're part of the process. And the process currently underway isn't "electing the leader of the free world" it's selecting a candidate to run under a political party's banner.

Then throw a "potential" in front of "leader". I personally don't think they should list super delegates until they get close to the convention, because they can shift around, and it gives people the wrong idea going into their primaries. Say Bernie miraculously won Super Tuesday, gets a majority of states, and surprises everyone. Clinton would probably still lead by 500 delegates when you consider superdelegates--that's insane.

Watching Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged and the fate of the world coming down to children's card games seems less ridiculous after thinking about argument from constitution.

If he miraculously wins Super Tuesday support would start shifting. As it stands she has deep support amidst the party she wishes to lead because she's been working for it for decades.

And I am kind of curious if it's a uniquely American thing to link party process with public election. Like, would it shock people how easily David Cameron could cease to be the UK PM. Or the musical chairs of the Australian PM.

If he miraculously wins Super Tuesday support would start shifting. As it stands she has deep support amidst the party she wishes to lead because she's been working for it for decades.

And I am kind of curious if it's a uniquely American thing to link party process with public election. Like, would it shock people how easily David Cameron could cease to be the UK PM. Or the musical chairs of the Australian PM.

I think the average American would be pretty surprised at how parliamentary governments work in general. Though some political parties in countries with Presidential systems have primary elections.

Without Scalia, Gore would have been President. If Gore had been President, we wouldn't have invaded Iraq. If he hadn't invaded Iraq, there would be no power vacuum leading to the rise of ISIS. Therefore Scalia was responsible for ISIS.

Bill Clinton should have killed Scalia along with those 300 Afghan women and children /Marco Rubio

Without Scalia, Gore would have been President. If Gore had been President, we wouldn't have invaded Iraq. If he hadn't invaded Iraq, there would be no power vacuum leading to the rise of ISIS. Therefore Scalia was responsible for ISIS.

Reagan appointed Scalia to the SC. Thus we can clearly trace this all back to the TPAJAX Project. It's all Eisenhower's fault.

I was thinking up some hypotheticals today about how the election could go. In the scenario where Bernie wins the nomination and loses by a landslide, would you see changes in the Democratic party's nomination process? Any leadership changes?

This is why Al Gore is a hero.

He didn't let Scalia keep getting away with it

kirblar

It's deliberately not a democratic process because they learned that letting it be a purely democratic process led to terrible outcomes in the '70s and beyond.

The system deliberately slows the momentum of a guy like Sanders. This is a good thing.

PPP did SC assuming only Trump, Cruz, and Rubio:

Trump: 40%
Cruz: 28%
Rubio: 22%

... This seems about what it would be in most states to be honest? I think the "fields narrows, Trump struggles" narrative may not be that accurate since this is how the field will probably narrow (the Jeb dream is dead)

... This seems about what it would be in most states to be honest? I think the "fields narrows, Trump struggles" narrative may not be that accurate since this is how the field will probably narrow (the Jeb dream is dead)
Yep. Exactly, as long as it is a three person race, it's over.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

I think the idea is that the RNC would focus all of their efforts behind one person, and that would theoretically be the difference.

danm999

Trump and Cruz won't drop out. The establishment will keep one candidate in. It will be a three man race until there is a nominee.

Well its kinda the whole way the system was formed before the parties.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Haha at Rubio. RNC still ignoring the fact that the base is so fed up with the establishment that they don't want any of the traditional guys.

As I said the other day, this is the first time I have ever seen lifelong conservatives passing around anti-big business/GOP stuff on Facebook. It is bizarre.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Trump just can't lose this thing!

Bowdz

Holy shit. We are getting close to this train running away.

Cerium

Found this video of Srinivasan giving the keynote speech at the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association Gala.

Gives you a sense of his charisma and wit. A man that even Ted Cruz could be friends with.

At Srinivasan’s confirmation hearing, Texas Republican Senator Ted Cruz, now a presidential candidate, described himself as a long-standing friend dating back to their time together as law clerks in the U.S. appeals court based in Richmond, Virginia.

Cruz said Srinivasan had done a “very fine job” in answering the committee’s questions.

During his nomination to the appeals court, prominent Republicans such as former U.S. Solicitor General Ted Olson supported Srinivasan. At his 2013 investiture, leading lights of the legal establishment from both parties praised him. Federal appeals court judge J. Harvie Wilkinson, a Reagan appointee for whom Srinivasan was also a law clerk, called him “lightning smart.”

So far on the appeals court, his rulings have not sparked controversy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom