• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Obama is supposed to be having a news conference today about the supreme Court seat.

Obama: "I'm stepping down, Joe's in charge for the last year. We had an agreement and I am going to honor it."

Biden: (To Obama) "Hold my beer" (To the press) "My first act as president is to appoint Barack Obama to the vacant seat."

Obama: (laughs)

Obama: "I'm stepping down, Joe's in charge for the last year. We had an agreement and I am going to honor it."

Biden: (To Obama) "Hold my beer" (To the press) "My first act as president is to appoint Barack Obama to the vacant seat."

Wouldn't Obama need to be confirmed by the Senate in that scenario

Grassley is now open to at least having hearings on Obama's nominee and taking this "one step at a time".

The quote:
Though the longtime Iowa Republican agrees with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell that the next president should select a new appointee to the nation's highest court, he also told Iowa reporters that he has not made a final decision regarding committee consideration of a future justice and would take things a "step at a time."

“I would wait until the nominee is made before I would make any decisions,” Grassley said, according to Radio Iowa. “This is a very serious position to fill and it should be filled and debated during the campaign and filled by either Hillary Clinton, Senator Sanders or whoever’s nominated by the Republicans."
It doesn't sound like much of a break with McConnell.

and converts to the Muslim faith at the same time

ticks all the boxes!

Owzers

Uhhh

Joe & Mika will moderate a town hall with Donald Trump airing in prime time tomorrow at 8pmET @MSNBC

But that's the same time as the Rubio/Cruz/Carson CNN Town Hall! I'd only watch the CNN one if Anderson doesn't put up with constant lies.

Gruco

Banned
This might be my optimistic side talking, but I wouldn't be surprised if the GOP cracks. They were able to get away with this kind of stuff (blind, preemptive obstinance) for the CFPB and the DC court, but Supremes are on a whole different level of public salience. This is an election year, and there are going to be a number of senators who never would have won election in 2008 or 2012 who are going to feel threatened about antagonizing the Obama coalition.

Asking "are you glad the North won the war" in the South is a little like asking "are you glad Vietnam won the war" anywhere in America; there's going to be a large contingent of people who don't want to be on the losing side of a war regardless of whether they think it was right or wrong. My understanding is that there's a widely held belief in the South that slavery was going to end, but they wanted to end it on their own terms, not with the North telling them what to do. That might seem ludicrous, but there's a reason the phrase "war of Northern aggression" is still used without irony in some places, and it's not because those people still wish they could own slaves. The "believe whites are a superior race" question is more indicative of racist attitudes, and it didn't have nearly the support of the "I wish my ancestors had won this war 150 years ago" question.

But yes, there's still a shitload of racism in this country, across the board. It's not confined to Southerners who are salty about the outcome of the Civil War, and it seems unfair to paint it as such. Because every article I've seen about these poll results has the air of a New York pundit looking down his nose at "those silly backwards hicks down South" while ignoring that Stop and Frisk and Eric Garner are happening outside their window. Those who live in glass houses, you know.

PPP is from North Carolina and they did the poll.

Politically, I think the only thing he has to do is make sure his appointment hasn't said anything too bad about the second amendment.

From there, basically anything will look good compared to the republicans refusing to approve anyone.

Well that's probably true, haha.

I first read that suggestion in the comments section of Sam Wang's blog and fell in love with it. It allows the SC to complete its term with a full compliment, is the responsible thing to do, and allows the president to rise above the fray. All three of the living justices are Republican appointees and the fact that they have all served puts ANY GOP argument about quality to rest.

Souter should be Obama's pick.

It would be interesting. Especially as a recess appointment that acted as a temporary measure. It would make things work and get passed all of the politics. Although, it's probably in the Dems advantage to keep this fight going anyway.

NeoXChaos

Game update: How is everyone feeling now that we are in primary season?

TrumpGAF is looking real good right now. BushGAF we are likely to lose. RubioGAF is going to be on the lifeline soon.

Politico taking the approach to journalism that if you close your eyes, put your fingers in your ears, and say something over and over and over again, it will eventually become true. What a bunch of hacks.

Are you referring to the Rubio article today?

I felt embarrassed reading that

There was never any substance to Politico anyway

kirblar

Why are college kids buying into Sanders' rainbows and unicorns policies? Do they not realize how politics work? The amount of money being thrown into his campaign is crazy.
They saw Obama elected twice and weren't paying attention beforehand.

And the polarization problem is huge- they grew up on the internet, land of echo chambers everywhere. It's why the college campus issues with authoritarian left-ism are emerging so suddenly.

Fuchsdh

Why are college kids buying into Sanders' rainbows and unicorns policies? Do they not realize how politics work? The amount of money being thrown into his campaign is crazy.

I mean everyone has some personal causes that they're likely to suspend reason for and swing for the fences.

The idea of somehow grafting a German-style free college plan onto the US seems like a disaster in theory given the vast gulf between how higher education is approached and valued, let alone the fact that at this point I feel comfortable saying Sanders' campaign is filled with unreasonably optimistic economic make-believe.

I completely get the appeal of the candidate, and god knows I'd rather have a woman besides Hillary be the one to make history. But there's just too much dogmatism mixed with obliviousness that I just can't support. I have flashbacks to fourth grade when the chap running for class president said he'd get every one of us lockers.

Slacker

Voting: DONE. Clinton now has at least one vote in my north Texas county. I looked at the list as they were signing me in and saw 42 Republicans had been there and 7 Democrats. I'll take it!

Stray observation: Outside there were hundreds of signs for local positions. I only saw about 10 for the presidential race: all for Trump.

GuyKazama

Maybe, but what I saw on social media (and I know that's in no way indicative of national mood) showed people outright happy he died, and very critical of his legacy, and the media did the whole "remembering his legacy" bit before quickly turning it into "Should Obama fight Republicans and appoint a successor? Are Republicans right in pre-emptively blocking Obama's nominee?"

I'm disturbed that anyone is happy that another person died. I see it more as a reaction to the unexpected shock that the balance of the Court is now in play. Democrats in Washington did not see this coming. It is the first time in more than 40 years that they have an opportunity to flip the Court to a more activist Court, and they are now seeing it slip through their fingers. It is enraging, and so the rhetoric is intense. There's absolutely nothing they can do but yell and hope for a Democratic President and Senate next year.

To Republican constituents, Congress is showing strength. They are stopping Obama, which is what they campaigned on. From my perspective, if any Senator supported a pick that tilted the Court left, they would lose my vote. This is the safest course, instead of worrying their (Republican) voters that they may capitulate again.

Yoda

If there were no working examples of his policy, then yeah it'd be a bit of a fairy tale. However, functioning democratic democracies have free/heavy subsidized higher ed, we don't and it's robbing a generation in an unprecedented way.

kirblar

I'm disturbed that anyone is happy that another person died.
The man compared gay people to pedophiles. When someone wants to strip you of the ability to do basic things in society, I can't blame anyone for being glad they're no longer in a position of power.

HylianTom

Banned
The GOP senators in blue states are the ones who are in a real pickle. They can either piss-off their base, or piss-off voters in the middle.

I also wonder if they'll feel more secure once the threat of being primaried is removed.

I don't feel the least bit guilty at being happy that Scalia is no longer on the bench. The man hallucinated magical invisible asterisks in the Constitution for LGBT people, had no qualms about laws that tossed us in jail for private consensual acts.. as far as I'm concerned, wanting him gone was akin to self-defense.

Gruco

Banned
Not sure about that.
Cruz almost certainly drops before Rubio just based on the calendar. Cruz need to be crushing it during March or he has almost no chance. Rubio's ability to succeed is very back-loaded so he can string 3rd and 5th place victories together for quite a while before the math looks bad for him.

Yoda

Politico taking the approach to journalism that if you close your eyes, put your fingers in your ears, and say something over and over and over again, it will eventually become true. What a bunch of hacks.

Most of the establishment is doing this. The amount of pundits who declared Trump was done AGAIN after the last debate was astonishing. The denial is ridiculous.

This is a complete 180 for Grassley. Super odd.

TBH I'm stunned he jumped out the window like that initially. It doesn't fit his character. I had assumed that Obama could sit down with him and Hatch to come up with some type of compromise. Whether the person is approved by the senate is another issue.

dabig2

Every time I see people bring up free tuition and universal healthcare as disastrous pie-in-the-sky policies because they're soooooo expensive, an angel loses its wings. Bush tax cuts and war alone will cost us trillions of dollars - things that passed so fucking easily with very few questioning their viability - but investing in the health, education, and well-being of citizens is now seen, even among liberals, as petty idealism and not something we should even pursue or talk about.

The republicans won. Even when they lose, they still win.

And the polarization problem is huge- they grew up on the internet, land of echo chambers everywhere. It's why the college campus issues with authoritarian left-ism are emerging so suddenly.

Yeah, the Sanders campaign is kinda the white kid equivalent of advocating for extensive trigger warnings, anonymous microaggression reporting systems, and the general fuckery on college campuses: real problems being fought with impractical solutions and exclusionary zeal.

Yoda

The GOP senators in blue states are the ones who are in a real pickle. They can either piss-off their base, or piss-off voters in the middle.

I also wonder if they'll feel more secure once the threat of being primaried is removed.

I don't feel the least bit guilty at being happy that Scalia is no longer on the bench. The man hallucinated magical invisible asterisks in the Constitution for LGBT people, had no qualms about laws that tossed us in jail for private consensual acts.. as far as I'm concerned, wanting him gone was akin to self-defense.

I'm dumbfounded as to why Sen. McConnel didn't play coy and just pretend he'd vote on whoever Obama nominated and then torpedo it later. He's put the most vulnerable republican seats in the senate in a bad spot.

Cruz almost certainly drops before Rubio just based on the calendar. Cruz need to be crushing it during March or he has almost no chance. Rubio's ability to succeed is very back-loaded so he can string 3rd and 5th place victories together for quite a while before the math looks bad for him.

Rubio can't string 3rd and 5th place victories in March and still have a path to the nomination, not with how few delegates he'd be earning. If Cruz falters and Trump dominates March it will be over because Trump will be racking up so many delegates that Rubio won't be able to stop him.

But I wouldn't expect the GOP race to narrow to 2 contestants for a long time (maybe never), neither Cruz nor Rubio will be dropping out lightly.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Every time I see people bring up free tuition and universal healthcare as disastrous pie-in-the-sky policies because they're soooooo expensive, an angel loses its wings. Bush tax cuts and war alone will cost us trillions of dollars - things that passed so fucking easily with very few questioning their viability - but investing in the health, education, and well-being of citizens is now seen, even among liberals, as petty idealism and not something we should even pursue or talk about.

The republicans won. Even when they lose, they still win.

Considering a lot of the attacks we've seen against Hillary from the left I agree. Hell, even Bernie himself has pulled the same sort of unemployment number shenanigans the GOP has in recent years.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I have no problem with individual people, students, activists, whatever, being as ideological, hard line, unrealistic or demanding as they like. Thats how you get change, by asking for 200% so that maybe you get 100 instead of asking for 100 and getting 50

But that changes when you are a politician, especially a politician on the national stage. When you're shooting for a position of responsibility you have to be honest with the abilities and limits of that responsibility. You do have to work with the opposition, or even with people who aren't completely aligned with you.

Gruco

Banned

So, Grassley is hinting that he's not up for blind opposition.

Kirk, Ayotte, Toomey and Johnson will all probably feel a lot of election pressure, though Kirk may the the only one to crack.

Coates and Vitter are retiring, though I don't think that means either will do anything.

Any other wild cards? Murkowski and Collins maybe?
I'm dumbfounded as to why Sen. McConnel didn't play coy and just pretend he'd vote on whoever Obama nominated and then torpedo it later. He's put the most vulnerable republican seats in the senate in a bad spot.
Strategically, it really makes no sense. To the point where my inner conspiracy theorist wonders if its just posturing for primary season. But I think the real explanation is that the thought of "losing" the supreme court, which Republicans see as rightfully theirs, was so shocking and horrible that they went with the knee-jerk response instead of thinking it through

GuyKazama

The man compared gay people to pedophiles. When someone wants to strip you of the ability to do basic things in society, I can't blame anyone for being glad they're no longer in a position of power.

No he didn't. It was a shitty analogy, but he was saying that legal protections were not enumerated for either group in the Constitution -- and he is right. That's for Congress to legislate.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/scalia-gay-people-pedophiles

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
30% of South Republicans wish the Confederacy won the war.

And young people are just as racist as old people according to most polling.

America is just a super racist nation.

That's a false equivalency you're painting there, and it is coming from someone who I suspect doesn't know how the Civil War is portrayed in the South versus the North. It's historical revisionism at it's strongest (something the US as a whole is pretty good at, including the North; see Native Americans, the Spanish-American War, and the Mexican-American War, and Sherman's march to the South), but it isn't about slavery to them.

So the question to many of them has nothing to do with race or slavery. (As crazy as that sounds)

Asking "are you glad the North won the war" in the South is a little like asking "are you glad Vietnam won the war" anywhere in America; there's going to be a large contingent of people who don't want to be on the losing side of a war regardless of whether they think it was right or wrong. My understanding is that there's a widely held belief in the South that slavery was going to end, but they wanted to end it on their own terms, not with the North telling them what to do. That might seem ludicrous, but there's a reason the phrase "war of Northern aggression" is still used without irony in some places, and it's not because those people still wish they could own slaves. The "believe whites are a superior race" question is more indicative of racist attitudes, and it didn't have nearly the support of the "I wish my ancestors had won this war 150 years ago" question.

But yes, there's still a shitload of racism in this country, across the board. It's not confined to Southerners who are salty about the outcome of the Civil War, and it seems unfair to paint it as such. Because every article I've seen about these poll results has the air of a New York pundit looking down his nose at "those silly backwards hicks down South" while ignoring that Stop and Frisk and Eric Garner are happening outside their window. Those who live in glass houses, you know.

A) People don't like losing wars

B) The "believe whites are a superior race" is far more indicative of actual racism then "bitter we lost a war 150 years ago".

C) The bolded is dead on.

PPP is from North Carolina and they did the poll.

He's referring to the articles about the poll, not the poll itself.

As a liberal, this is the part that scares me. I don't like this authoritarian bent the left has decided to join the right on. That will most certainly get abused in the future.

Sanders policies are good. A large portion of people in the united states are too easily misled by lies and fear by the republican party though, so he has no shot of winning the general. It doesn't help Fox News is the #1 news channel to help spread the lies and misinformation. The most important thing is keeping a democrat in the white house and the best choice to ensure that is Hilary.

On a side note on the Obama news conference. It is happening at 4:30pm est today.

Game update: How is everyone feeling now that we are in primary season?

TrumpGAF is looking real good right now. BushGAF we are likely to lose. RubioGAF is going to be on the lifeline soon.

Let's dispel the fiction that RubioGAF doesn't know exactly what they're doing.

I think Trump's still going to be the nominee. Hillary is still going to be our nominee.

Does anyone have any opinion on the letter the FEC sent to the Bernie people? It looks like they took too much money from some people or didn't report it correctly. It's a non issue electorally, but it just reminds me how crap the people he's hired are.

I think asking: Are you an actual Nazi?, is going to understate the amount of racists there are, but we can keep saying that America isn't that racist when a white supremacy candidate is polling at 40%, sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom