• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is interesting about the vetting process:

At first, I felt like they should've been ready for that, but then remembered Scalia wasn't that old.

Why would it be different? It's your spot to fill the court.

Anyways I like lynch as the pick. She's qualified and ads a great new voice. And she is gonna bring the most important dem voters out when she and the first black president inevitably treated poorly by the GOP.

She's also on former liberal ground than Sri

Cerium

Anyways I like lynch as the pick. She's qualified and ads a great new voice. And she is gonna bring the most important dem voters out when she and the first black president inevitably treated poorly by the GOP.

Lynch is a little on the old side, and she's doing good work where she is right now. I'm not sure I want another Attorney General vacancy.

Cuellar would probably be more devastating to Republicans politically.

pigeon

Banned
She just said that we face complex intersectional issues that are economic, social, and political. I mean come on, how long have progressives wanted to get a politician on the national stage who would say exactly that?

The most exciting thing about that is that apparently a national politician thinks people know what intersectionality is.

WE DID IT

WE EDUCATED AMERICA

ALL OF MY ANGRY GAF POSTS ARE JUSTIFIED

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

She needs to finish her takedown of FIFA first. Then she can be on the Court.

She just said that we face complex intersectional issues that are economic, social, and political. I mean come on, how long have progressives wanted to get a politician on the national stage who would say exactly that?

The fact someone actually said it out loud while running for something is surreal.

Gruco

Banned
Haha.

Press conference asks Obama if they should conclude he's going to be picking a moderate nominee. Obama interupts "NO!"

Wall

It's based on one (kinda shitty) poll and iirc correctly, it's unlikely we're getting any more from Nevada.

The poll was from a Republican aligned group. I think the poll is being included in the aggregates because there aren't any other polls coming out of Nevada. The reasons there aren't any other polls coming out of Nevada are that (a) polling in Nevada is difficult even in the general election, let a lone a primary, and (b) there is less money for polling in this election cycle compared to previous election cycles, which is going to be an issue going forward. All of the models, from the aggregators to the PEC to Nate's, are only as good as the polls that are fed into them.

TheWarNerd saying that Glenn Greenwald is a neo-liberal puppet because the owner of The Intercept thinks microloans reduce poverty, while Glenn Greenwald claims that the Onion is now in the tank for Hillary "I am fun" Clinton is probably peak liberal wingnuttery. Don't think we're going to pass this anytime soon.

ivysaur12

Banned
This seems more likely to be correct:

‏@mmcauliff
I take this as a warning from Obama to Rs: "This is the Supreme Court, and it's going to get some attention."

I feel like Obama would have a better leg to stand on if he voted for cloture on Roberts, even though the situations aren't quite analogous.

pigeon

Banned
Is there actually a law that says that a member of the Supreme Court can't also be a Senator or President or whatever at the same time? Dumb question.

This seems more likely to be correct:

I feel like Obama would have a better leg to stand on if he voted for cloture on Roberts, even though the situations aren't quite analogous.

Eh, look at his response to Alito's filibuster. Obama's going to hammer the point that all SC justices have gotten a vote within two or three months of being nominated. That should over-ride any tactical considerations.

Is there actually a law that says that a member of the Supreme Court can't also be a Senator or President or whatever at the same time? Dumb question.

I remember someone saying that when they jokingly suggested Obama nominate himself but I didn't look into it.

ivysaur12

Banned
Eh, look at his response to Alito's filibuster. Obama's going to hammer the point that all SC justices have gotten a vote within two or three months of being nominated. That should over-ride any tactical considerations.

I agree, but the optics of him engaging in the partisanship of the court aren't great, even if they both got a vote.

Let's hope. I have my doubts that this time will be any different.

He's got nothing left to lose.

Why is it that the right is so much more mad about "Bush Lied, People Died." than "Obama assassinated Scalia, maybe, just asking questions!" from Trump?

I mean, I know why, but what is their reasoning?

Wall

Why? There are a huge amount of white liberals in NoVa. If he was going to do well in any Southern state, it'd probably be VA and NC, and he's losing both by double digits.

Only ~15 percent of the sample in that poll identified as liberal. Coming out of Iowa and New Hampshire, the most interesting development with regard to the Sander's campaign is that Sanders is gaining support among voters classified as "working class". He wouldn't have been able to achieve a virtual tie in Iowa or blow Clinton out in New Hampshire if he wasn't.

Regardless of who wins the primary, that is something the leadership of the Democratic party would be wise to pay attention to. The abilities of the Democrats to win back and maintain control of the Senate, win back the House, and even maintain control over the Presidency depend on doing well with this demographic.

ivysaur12

Banned
Only ~15 percent of the sample in that poll identified as liberal. Coming out of Iowa and New Hampshire, the most interesting development with regard to the Sander's campaign is that Sanders is gaining support among voters classified as "working class". He wouldn't have been able to achieve a virtual tie in Iowa or blow Clinton out in New Hampshire if he wasn't.

Regardless of who wins the primary, that is something the leadership of the Democratic party would be wise to pay attention to. The abilities of the Democrats to win back and maintain control of the Senate, win back the House, and even maintain control over the Presidency depend on doing well with this demographic.

That's probably fair.

benjipwns

Banned
Austan Goolsbee shouldn't be allowed to talk about other people's numbers not adding up. I believe he was part of the group that signed off on that infamous stimulus/unemployment chart and Cash for Clunkers.

And by shouldn't be allowed I mean he should be allowed to say anything he wants and the state would prove itself illegitimate by attempting to silence him.

Or by not doing anything to him.

A friend of mine ... gets all of his political news from Young Turks
I'm sorry.

Institutional racism becoming a talking point this year is honestly beautiful. My mom and so many other black people didnt even really know the statistics behind how systemic racism is affecting us and now we have candidates speaking candidly about it like it's been in up for discussion for years. We really underscored last year how the Hillary/Bernie would actually end up having to fight for the black vote.

Austan Goolsbee shouldn't be allowed to talk about other people's numbers not adding up. I believe he was part of the group that signed off on that infamous stimulus/unemployment chart and Cash for Clunkers.

And by shouldn't be allowed I mean he should be allowed to say anything he wants and the state would prove itself illegitimate by attempting to silence him.

Or by not doing anything to him.

Whatever happens, we lose Benji?

Are we allowed to listen to bankers now?

Carsonmentum.

I have to say, the amount of times the likes of Breitbart, Moonie Times, Townhall, HotAir and FreeBeacon type sites have been posted as sources of info over the primary season has been pretty amusing.
Is it surprising that the guy who's never been affiliated with a party is popular with those who aren't affiliated with a party?
It's somewhat interesting the extent to which the unaffiliated can influence a party's candidate selection. I mean, Reid seems gung-ho about registering Democrats on the day of the NV caucuses, but there's really little guarantee that they'll be bothered to stay involved. In theory, the other side can mess with your open caucus or primary too.
Well, that would probably be a notable endorsement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom