• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
The problem with that is, the framing is already there. The public knows this is an act just to try and replace Scalia with someone the GOP wants and they'll disrupt the court to do it. It's not good.
The public probably already forgot who Scalia was and why he was important.

Probably just smartened up that they need to atleast pretend like they are giving the person a shot. If they pretend and say no, it's better than a flat out no before even knowing the nominee come election time.

If Obama puts up a centrist and they pretend to give this person a shot only to obstruct in the end, will that be much different? Seems like the dems could still sell this as childish obstruction.

ivysaur12

Banned
The heart of the query is essentially, do you want public service and working in/with industry to be mutually exclusive?

(Which is actually not dissimilar from the "politicians should never be allowed to work in 'business' ever" guy's position, but when worded like this sounds slightly less ridiculous.)

I miss that guy!!

benjipwns

Banned
That is why you would be concerned. I'm not saying regulatory capture is a concern in the specific instance you cite because I don't know about the nominee; rather, I am talking in general.

Califf worked very closely with pharmaceutical companies at the Duke clinical trials center "convincing them to do large, expensive, and, for Duke, profitable clinical trials."[9] He was a paid consultant for Merck Sharp & Dohme, Johnson & Johnson, GlaxoSmithKline, AstraZeneca, and Eli Lilly per ProPublica from 2009 to 2013. The largest consulting payment was $87,500 by Johnson & Johnson in 2012, and "most of funds for travel or consulting under $5,000", which has been called "minimal for a physician of his stature".[10] From 2013-2014 he was paid a total of $52,796, the highest amount was $6,450 from Merck Sharp & Dohme, followed by Amgen, F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG, Janssen Pharmaceutica, Daiichi Sankyo, Sanofi-Aventis, Bristol-Myers Squibb and AstraZeneca.[11] He was the Director of Portola Pharmaceuticals, Inc. from July 2012 to January 26, 2015,[10] Advisor of Proventys, Inc., Chairman of the medical advisory board of Regado Biosciences, Inc. and has been member of the medical advisory board since June 2, 2009, and member of the clinical advisory board of Corgentech Inc.[12] Forbes wrote that his close ties to the drug industry were the reason for him not being nominated for the FDA Commissioner position in 2009.

Plus the guys' part of the military-industrial-academic complex Eisenhower warned us about:
Califf is recognized by the Institute for Scientific Information as one of the top 10 most cited medical authors, with more than 1,200 peer-reviewed publications.

Midichlorians wouldn't do shit for poverty. Anakin was swimming in them and dude was a slave.
That whole situation was messed up, Watto and Shmi were hiding something.

Plus the guys' part of the military-industrial-academic complex Eisenhower warned us about:

I can never quite understand your tone or if you are joking but all these conflict of interests are something to consider. I don't think blanket statements about whether industry and public service can't mix, but I think with extensive ties comes an extensive look at that persons background (look into his papers and see if they are cherry picked etc.). It is pretty hard to tell at the end of the day. Curious, does the FDA have any control of drug scheduling? Now that is something that is a total mess.

HylianTom

Banned
Also, people are still really salty about Bork 28 years later.

I can't entirely blame 'em on that; the switch from Bork to Kennedy was pretty significant in terms of case outcomes over the following decades.

(I still chuckle at it.)

(*giggle*)

Edit:
-- A damn shame that Trump's ultra-liberal sister is 78; she'd be one hell of a troll pick by Obama. She was a Reagan appointee, too.

I can never quite understand your tone or if you are joking but all these conflict of interests are something to consider. I don't think blanket statements about whether industry and public service can't mix, but I think with extensive ties comes an extensive look at that persons background (look into his papers and see if they are cherry picked etc.). It is pretty hard to tell at the end of the day. Curious, does the FDA have any control of drug scheduling? Now that is something that is a total mess.
Not sure if this is what you're referring to. I also don't get why the image is so unnecessarily large.
johnflowchart-(2).jpg
NB this chart is made by the biased Brookings Institute, enemy of the Khaleesi, so it may be full of lies.

benjipwns

Banned
Curious, does the FDA have any control of drug scheduling? Now that is something that is a total mess.
Their studies are used for scheduling.

But there is a "loophole" no one will ever use as evidenced by marijuana's continued presence as a Schedule I drug. (And thus technically illegal to study.)

The President through the Attorney General through the DEA can re-classify a drug at anytime for any reason.

pigeon

Banned
Their studies are used for scheduling.

But there is a "loophole" no one will ever use.

The President through the Attorney General through the DEA can re-classify a drug at anytime for any reason.

That's actually hilarious.

Last thing in January, legalize marijuana, then bail out.

There's a hilarious crackup going on over at HotAir (a sort of Republican news aggregation site) over moving over to FB comments - I guess their audience doesn't want their racist, sexist, and horrible uber conservative shaming of anybody to the left of Attila the Hun to be connected to their real name.

benjipwns

Banned
That's actually hilarious.

Last thing in January, legalize marijuana, then bail out.
The simple thing for a President to do is say "look at all this medical marijuana stuff in the states, we better have studies done on it to make sure those crazy states aren't killing people" and slide it down to Schedule II.

I doubt anyone would ever slide it back up.

Iolo

There's a hilarious crackup going on over at HotAir (a sort of Republican news aggregation site) over moving over to FB comments - I guess their audience doesn't want their racist, sexist, and horrible uber conservative shaming of anybody to the left of Attila the Hun to be connected to their real name.

Since when have real names prevented this though? Internet commenting seems to have just gotten worse after Facebook-style comments became popular.

Well, a recess appointment probably would have fit very well with the idea that GodKing Barack Hussein Obama was overreaching again. But it seems, on the whole, too clever.

benjipwns

Banned
JesseEwiak said:
This doesn't seem to stop anyone on other websites.

benjipwns

Banned
Or course, technically, the President would have to be careful not to be ordering people to break the law because we're all idiots and write laws like this:
(12) shall ensure that no Federal funds appropriated to the Office of National Drug Control Policy shall be expended for any study or contract relating to the legalization (for a medical use or any other use) of a substance listed in schedule I of section 202 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 812) and take such actions as necessary to oppose any attempt to legalize the use of a substance (in any form) that --

1. is listed in schedule I of section 202 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 812); and

2. has not been approved for use for medical purposes by the Food and Drug Administration;

And make it the job of federal officials to lie:
Finally, apart from considerations of whether any particular law has been violated, you have asked whether the Deputy Director's letter disseminated misleading information in connection with statements relating to the debate over legalization of marijuana. Clearly, the Deputy Director's statements reflect one perspective regarding marijuana - a perspective that is disputed by others with different viewpoints. However, ONDCP is specifically charged with the responsibility for "taking such actions as necessary to oppose any attempt to legalize the use" of certain controlled substances such as marijuana - a responsibility which logically could include the making of advocacy statements in opposition to legalization efforts. The Deputy Director's statements about marijuana are thus within the statutory role assigned to ONDCP. Given this role, we do not see a need to examine the accuracy of the Deputy Director's individual statements in detail.

Thankfully, we have good people in government:
Rep. Frank Wolf (R-Va.) said he thought that the attorney general would come to regret his decision to allow legalization in Washington and Colorado to move forward. "This being a legacy for Eric Holder, when he looks back on it and sees the devastation it will have on this country, he will live to regret it," Wolf said. "He will wish he could get these years back." Wolf then asked [Drug Enforcement Administration chief Michele] Leonhart whether DEA agents have been feeling demoralized as a result of the legalization.

"Actually, it makes us fight harder," Leonhart replied.

Without referring specifically to Obama's comments, Leonhart said that pro-marijuana messages are stronger now than they have been in the past 30 years, and that DEA officials are very worried about the consequences for teens who are being "bombarded" by such messages.

"It's of great concern to us the messages we hear on television, in the radio, in songs -- and now, my fear is that kids are hearing it from their own parents," Leonhart said. "It's important to have the facts about marijuana put out there in ways that kids, teens, young adults, parents can look at it and see that what they've been sold -- that this is no big deal -- is not true."

Actually. That's a great example of bureaucracy having its own interests outside that of politicians' rhetoric. Share it with your children. And other people's children.

Wilsongt

A local news anchor here was just announced to be a new co-anchor of Fox and Friends. Yes, she's blonde. Whether she is dumb reminds to be seen.

benjipwns

Banned
Ainsley Earhardt.

Who's worked at FOX News for years, and was even host of Fox and Friends FIRST.

Best known for breaking news interruptions in the middle of Red Eye that were not breaking or news.

Tarkus

Ainsley Earhardt.

Who's worked at FOX News for years, and was even host of Fox and Friends FIRST.

Best known for breaking news interruptions in the middle of Red Eye that were not breaking or news.
How did she get the gig over Anna Kooiman? Bullshit.

benjipwns

Banned
How did she get the gig over Anna Kooiman? Bullshit.
This is amazing:
Kooiman has been ridiculed by various news outlets over comments she made on a "Fox and Friends" broadcast on 28th December 2014 that were interpreted as implying that pilot training in the metric system could explain the disappearance of flight Air Asia QZ8501.[7] [8] [9] [10] In a Twitter post, she cites a July 30, 1983 New York Times article to justify her earlier comments on the possible relationship of the metric system and the crash.

benjipwns

Banned
Are you saying he force pulled himself up by his bootstraps?
He got himself made part of a semi-secret unchecked ruling cabal within the Old Republic government by the mere status of his birth and endorsement by other members of the cabal.

Kinda like getting appointed to The Fed.

Anakin didn't die poor.

Well, that depends on what your definition of "poor" is.

Ainsley Earhardt.

What is this, the West Wing?
Actually, didn't that show's "Fox News bombshell" caricature have a name like that?

Austan Goolsbee shouldn't be allowed to talk about other people's numbers not adding up. I believe he was part of the group that signed off on that infamous stimulus/unemployment chart and Cash for Clunkers.

And by shouldn't be allowed I mean he should be allowed to say anything he wants and the state would prove itself illegitimate by attempting to silence him.

Or by not doing anything to him.

Or by doing both at the same time!

(In the interests of snarkiness, I'd say that actually gives Goolsbee more of a qualification to talk about other people's numbers not adding up, given his own experience with fuzzy math.)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
http://time.com/4225884/ted-cruz-military-gluten-free-meals/?xid=time_socialflow_twitter

Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz looked to gain the support of military voters in South Carolina on Tuesday, promising to build a robust military if elected and pledged not to provide gluten-free military meals, which he equated with a culture of political correctness.

“That’s why the last thing any commander should need to worry about is the grades he is getting from some plush-bottomed Pentagon bureaucrat for political correctness or social experiments—or providing gluten-free MREs,” Cruz said, using the shorthand term for Meal, Ready-to-Eat, CNN reported.

okay ted

kingkitty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom