• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahaha

I shit you all not. My Berniebro met me at work for "lunch" (I work 2-11, so it was at like 6), and this 19 year old girl with a Bernie bumper sticker rear ended a guy with a Trump sticker. I wanted to make some witty political comment, but I didn't. However, I do have a new appreciation for straight men. Bless all ya'lls hearts.

I like ARG's numbers for the Dem race. I'm sorta excited about NV. I don't know that Hillary will win, but I love the uncertainty of it. My queen can have her coronation a few weeks later if necessary.

benjipwns

Banned
"If there is a silver lining in the Obama-Clinton foreign policy debacle, it is that now we know what a world without America would start to look like," the Texas senator said. "Far more dangerous and beholden to terrorists and criminal regimes."

"Starting next year our sailors won't be on their knees with their hands on their heads," Cruz said referring to the U.S. sailors who were held in Iranian custody after their ship entered that country's waters. "Our secretary of state will not be apologizing and thanking their Iranian captors. Instead, they will be standing on the decks of the mightiest ships the world has ever known with their heads held high, confident that the great country that they volunteered to serve has their back."

Cruz called for an increase in the active duty military force to 1.4 million in order to be prepared for the "possibility of multiple, near-simultaneous conflicts" on the world stage. He also promised to review the Marine Corps' request "for an exemption from the policy requiring women to serve in combat positions."

He also expressed his belief that women should not be drafted into the combat roles in the military.

"After seven years of neglect," he said, "it is time for America to once again prioritize a strong, advanced and robust military."

Another theme emerged throughout his remarks: An end to "political correctness" in military matters.

"The last thing any commander should need to worry about is the grades he is getting from some plush-bottomed Pentagon bureaucrat for political correctness or social experiments or providing gluten-free MREs," he said of ready-to-eat meals . "If I am elected president, one of my first orders to the secretary of defense will be to restore the U.S. military's combat ethos."

"I am confident that if we put in the hard work we can, as Ronald Reagan did in the 1980s, rebuild our military so it will be so feared by our enemies and trusted by our allies that, God willing, we won't have to use it," Cruz said. "That is the essence of what President Reagan used to call 'peace through strength.'"
"Senator Cruz is the only candidate in this race who has consistently sided against our military and intelligence professionals and whose foreign policy vision changes with his poll numbers," Rubio spokesman Joe Pounder said in a statement. "When it comes to our national security, Marco Rubio is the only candidate with the actual experience and policies needed to keep America safe."
gasp

Obama should really look into nominating a fairly liberal justice on paper and very qualified but is a lefty wank once he gets on the bench since a few of the GOP senators are now backtracking. Seems like a golden oppurtunity.

I gotta wonder though: how many top level justices with Supreme Court aspirations 'pretend' to be moderate on paper so it looks good when presented to the Senate but is actually an ideological firebrand in private.

In theory, as far as I'm aware, their ideological slants are not supposed to matter. There aren't meant to be litmus tests. The current Chief Justice goes on at length about how their guiding principles are legal.

Although, ymmv on the extent to which this is true.

Also, having received support from Priorities in 2012, I wonder if there's any particular skepticism that President Obama will nominate someone who would be more likely than not to rule towards overturning Citizens United.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
The heart of the query is essentially, do you want public service and working in/with industry to be mutually exclusive?

(Which is actually not dissimilar from the "politicians should never be allowed to work in 'business' ever" guy's position, but when worded like this sounds slightly less ridiculous.)

Unfortunately, usually the best people to fix issues are people who worked within the industry and know where the bodies are buried.

CbW2jb0VAAAf3Yw.png:large

My Congressman

HBCUs are an underrated way to actually improve black representation in STEM. Black students generally do way better coming out of HBCUs then they do public schools or elite private schools in STEM (which, ironically, was the point Scalia was referencing when bringing up mismatch theory, and managed to stick his foot in his mouth in Scalia-y fashion).

Like Harry Markopolos?

At least he only got ignored...

Sure. You can pass along information about an individual or the biggest financial institutions on the planet to the authorities, but that doesn't mean you're entitled to become a FBI agent, examiner, or lead the DOJ just by virtue of being in the field. One problem is people with no education or track record for these regulatory positions are just being dropped in and people assume they'll get up to speed and be competent. Often isn't the case and that's why they suck.

And quite a few people lost their jobs and had to deal with retaliation so yes at least he only got ignored.

Futurematic

President in a better timeline said:
There was a Texan running for Governor back during the Depression. His name was Pappy Lee "Pass the Biscuits" O'Daniel. His campaign would go into a little town with a hillbilly band, play some music, gather a crowd and then Pappy would tell the folks about his plan for the State of Texas ... to give every family $100 a month so the kids could have shoes and clothes and food on the table. Then they would play some more music.

Finally, in one little town, a heckler said, "Tell us, Pappy, where is the State of Texas going to get all the money to provide $100 a month for every family to buy shoes and clothes and put food on the table?" And Pappy stared at the heckler a little while and then said, "Let's play them another tune, boys." .

I feel this has lessons for both Sanders and Clinton... :)

Edit: top of page? Alright then: Sanders needs to figure out the "pay for this" part, Clinton needs to figure out populism.

benjipwns

Banned
OUR PRIORITIES
WE'RE ALL IN FOR HILLARY CLINTON

As the far right pursues an agenda that rewards only the wealthiest few at the expense of middle class families, Americans need a champion who will stand strong for us in the face of attacks from Republican Presidential candidates.

We support Hillary Clinton for President because she will always stand strong for us when it comes to strengthening the middle class and their families so they can get ahead and stay ahead.

Priorities USA Action was founded in 2011 to educate and engage Americans to speak out and stand strong against the outdated views of the far right that threaten our democracy and undermine the middle class.

Between now and Election Day we will share stories of middle class Americans across the country and educate voters about why Hillary Clinton is the clear choice for President.

This campaign will not be easy, and we will be outspent.

Together we must call out the stark contrast between Hillary Clinton’s fight to stand strong for us on the most important issues facing our country and the backwards agenda the far right is selling.

Let’s make history.

In a resignation letter obtained by POLITICO, Brock, a close Clinton ally, accused Priorities officials of planting “an orchestrated political hit job” against his own pro-Clinton groups, American Bridge and Media Matters.

Those groups — along with another pro-Clinton group, the super PAC Ready for Hillary — had their fundraising practices called into question last week by a New York Times report. It pointed out that veteran Democratic fundraiser Mary Pat Bonner got a 12.5 percent commission on funds she raised for Brock’s groups and a smaller percentage commission on cash she raised for Ready for Hillary.

In his letter to the co-chairs of Priorities’ board — former Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm and former Obama campaign manager Jim Messina — Brock alleged that “current and former Priorities officials were behind this specious and malicious attack on the integrity of these critical organizations.”

The letter — and Brock’s resignation — offer a rare glimpse into a network of groups upon which Democrats are relying to keep the White House and stave off increasingly robust big-money efforts on the right. The public airing of dirty laundry comes as sources say Priorities is struggling to live up to the hopes of some Clinton allies, who had argued it should aim to raise as much as $500 million to eviscerate prospective Clinton rivals in the primary and general elections.
Still, the groups — as well as Ready for Hillary — do to some extent compete with one another for big checks from wealthy Clinton backers. At one point, Priorities’ allies tried to force Ready for Hillary to shut down. But the groups — along with Brock’s — eventually entered into a sometimes uneasy alliance to lay the groundwork for the former secretary of state to run for president in 2016. Together, the groups formed an unprecedented shadow campaign that combined to raise millions in 2014. American Bridge’s Correct the Record Project defends Clinton against political attacks, while Ready for Hillary builds files of voters and small donors, and Priorities cultivates relationships with major donors.

The idea was to build an infrastructure that would allow Clinton to hit the ground running if and when she declared her candidacy for the Democratic nomination and to project a financial show of force that would overwhelm any prospective rival in the primary or general elections.
This time around, her allies tried to pre-empt the sectarianism by cross-pollinating the various groups to keep everyone on the same page and minimize competition. Granholm is on the boards of both Priorities and Ready for Hillary, while Brock joined the board of Priorities, and longtime Clintonite James Carville has been paid by American Bridge for assistance with fundraising and strategic advice.
THE [COMPLETELY NON-COORDINATING IN ANY POSSIBLE WAY] ESTABLISHMENT

Crocodile

Damn republican superpacs already started the attack ads on Bernie. Just saw one on msnbc with the raise taxes sound bite in it.

I was going to come in here to ask to which side the Future45 SuperPAc was associated with because I just saw this too. I guess I have my answer.

Why did so few states participate in old primaries? SC primary founded in 1980, huh?
In fact, in 1968 only 12 states had primaries. The feeling was that nominating a candidate was better left to the more influential members of the party, and this really didn't change until recently. The fact that there are so many superdelegates is a holdover from the past 200 years of this country. What led to so many states having primaries was the 1968 convention with Humphrey, who won no primaries but got the nomination anyway.

The idea that people should even vote at all within the party came from the early progressive movement.

Obama should really look into nominating a fairly liberal justice on paper and very qualified but is a lefty wank once he gets on the bench since a few of the GOP senators are now backtracking. Seems like a golden oppurtunity.

I gotta wonder though: how many top level justices with Supreme Court aspirations 'pretend' to be moderate on paper so it looks good when presented to the Senate but is actually an ideological firebrand in private.

If\When he nominates someone it will be a slightly liberal judge, and the Senate will absolutely balk and vote to confirm them. If they leave the Supreme Court at 4-4 until November they will be crushed in the election.

Damn republican superpacs already started the attack ads on Bernie. Just saw one on msnbc with the raise taxes sound bite in it.

Not to mention, isn't MSNBC the network where the viewers are least annoyed by the idea of tax increases?

Yoda

How would the media even spin a narrative for the runner ups if Trump gets all the delegates from SC? I'm sure they'll try.

You could say the same thing about NH, or back when people said he wouldn't be competitive at ALL. The establishment is in the bargaining phase of denial. Their base will only grow further from them over-time.

Yoda

I never got his opposition to that. Because the guy had ties to the Drug Industry?

Who the fuck else would you want someone regulating drugs than someone who knows how the process works and what regulations would be effective?!

Anyone picked from industry will know in order to get a job after their tenure @ the FDA/<insert regulator here> will need to produce industry friendly regulation... which means regulation which is inherently anti-consumer. The excess of business has to be contained when it can negatively impact society at large.

I was going to come in here to ask to which side the Future45 SuperPAc was associated with because I just saw this too. I guess I have my answer.

Yep, Republican hedge fund billionaires. They've actually started a couple of anti Hilary superpacs already.

Those are some stupid superpacs. Why would you do that now?

Supposedly, the theory behind the ad is that it's supposed to attract democratic voters to that candidate while also appearing negative to voters from the other side. The superpac behind them are against Hilary. They would rather have Bernie in the general to go against.

benjipwns

Banned
Do people even care about the Supreme Court enough to vote based on it being a justice short for one term?

They seem to think it's already too liberal:
zjwszcupwuibti_uhsk4xg.png

Wall

Right.

It would be through raising taxes.

I feel this has lessons for both Sanders and Clinton... :)

Edit: top of page? Alright then: Sanders needs to figure out the "pay for this" part, Clinton needs to figure out populism.

If enacted in full, Sander's plans would amount to funding services like health care and higher education through tax payments rather than private transactions, as is done in most other countries in the world.

How would the media even spin a narrative for the runner ups if Trump gets all the delegates from SC? I'm sure they'll try.

The combination of winner-takes-all primaries and multiple candidates to split the establishment/moderate/evangelical/Grover Norquist vote may very well screw over GOP this election cycle. Trump is a badly flawed candidate for the general election, but GOP voters who oppose him can't seem to coalesce around a single candidate.

pigeon

Banned
Anyone picked from industry will know in order to get a job after their tenure @ the FDA/<insert regulator here> will need to produce industry friendly regulation... which means regulation which is inherently anti-consumer. The excess of business has to be contained when it can negatively impact society at large.

Actually, I don't have the links right now, but there's evidence that this is the opposite of true. At least in finance, banks hire more during periods of more aggressive regulatory enforcement.

This is contrarian, but it makes sense if you think about it. Let's say you're a regulator. If you're weak on your targets, they might hire you because they like you, I guess. But if you're extremely tough on them, they need to hire you so that you can tell them what to do in order to avoid getting punished. So the incentive for you if you want to get a job afterwards is to be so aggressive in crafting regulations that they need your help just to avoid getting sanctioned.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I think it might be time for a "This will be the end of trumps campaign" Nervous Man for Rubio, but in reverse.

"This is where Rubio finally turns his campaign around and defeats Trump for good" Says increasingly nervous Election Press Correspondant

benjipwns

Banned
Actually, I don't have the links right now, but there's evidence that this is the opposite of true. At least in finance, banks hire more during periods of more aggressive regulatory enforcement.

This is contrarian, but it makes sense if you think about it. Let's say you're a regulator. If you're weak on your targets, they might hire you because they like you, I guess. But if you're extremely tough on them, they need to hire you so that you can tell them what to do in order to avoid getting punished. So the incentive for you if you want to get a job afterwards is to be so aggressive in crafting regulations that they need your help just to avoid getting sanctioned.
Your hypothetical and his don't have to contradict. For example, producing countless regulations that merely serve to create reams of paperwork, expansive compliance and legal divisions and necessary political operations. This is large firm and regulator-hoping-to-hop friendly and harmful to smaller firms and consumers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom