• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like thorpe's amazing analysis involved of scaling up a 1 state healthcare solution up to all 50 states? I wanna see some meet on Hillary's proposals like how shes gonna fund her autism/alzheimers research (probably just move funds around in NIH) or what she actually wants to do on healthcare (her webpage is even vaguer than Bernie's plan which has its own fair share of excessive optimism).

Her plan would increase the NIH's budget by $1.1 bil. You really don't have to raise your arms up and wonder where the money's coming from when it's so small compared to the rest of the budget... which is $3.8 tril. Sanders' college plan, for instance, is a much more sizable 100-something billion dollar spending package per year.

Health care? She's running for wonk in chief, of course she's got details.

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/brie...lan-to-lower-out-of-pocket-health-care-costs/

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/brie...on-plan-for-lowering-prescription-drug-costs/

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
swFxuoy.gif

He's so low energy, what a big fat mess.

Her plan would increase the NIH's budget by $1.1 bil. You really don't have to raise your arms up and wonder where the money's coming from when it's so small compared to the rest of the budget... which is $3.8 tril. Sanders' college plan, for instance, is a much more sizable 100-something billion dollar spending package per year.

Health care? She's running for wonk in chief, of course she's got details.

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/brie...lan-to-lower-out-of-pocket-health-care-costs/

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/brie...on-plan-for-lowering-prescription-drug-costs/

Link? Nice to see NIH increase but the Brain Initiative was supposed to be similar and really was a redistribution. NIH budget increases by about a billion a year already. Will read these links and get back to you, couldn't see much on it on her main healthcare page, Thanks.

Her stuff on drugs are a good start, but her out of pocket plan was quite vague other than 5000 dollar credit for costs above 5% of income (good) and 3 sick visits (good). The rest is stuff already happening or already signed into law. I doubt it would have a large impact on healthcare spending. I was hoping for some public option or other stuff that isn't super small in impact while good.

Well, in the general election, I guess Trump can mark off New Hampshire, or really any other New England state. However, how will his comments on the Pope affect him in Florida? Cubans lean towards voting Republican, but the Pope is also revered in Latin America. I guess the same is true for Colorado, New Mexico, and Nevada.

Nevada's apparently heavily Catholic, according to the chart in the other thread that I'd link but it's all the way over theeerrrrrrrre

Aside from enforcing antitrust laws (which implies that bams hasnt done that because reasons), a ctrl+f shows no hits for executive or congress in both articles, so.... how?
I think the assumption is that when a presidential candidate says he/she will "do" something, it means they will present legislation to that effect.

Link? Nice to see NIH increase but the Brain Initiative was supposed to be similar and really was a redistribution. NIH budget increases by about a billion a year already. Will read these links and get back to you, couldn't see much on it on her main healthcare page, Thanks.

Her stuff on drugs are a good start, but her out of pocket plan was quite vague other than 5000 dollar credit for costs above 5% of income (good) and 3 sick visits (good). The rest is stuff already happening or already signed into law. I doubt it would have a large impact on healthcare spending. I was hoping for some public option or other stuff that isn't super small in impact while good.
Sorry, I made an assumption. Current Alzheimer's funding is $380-something million, and Congress just passed a $550-something million increase, so that puts us up to $900mil. If she says she wants to ramp it up to $2billion, then that would mean having to find $1.1 billion. That's a lot of money compared to the NIH budget of $31ish bil, so I just assumed that she was going to increase the budget, but realistically, that would be a combination of (mostly) budget increases and fund redirection. I'm just going to trust the bureaucrats on working this one out, but given huge impact that alzheimer's has on our society relative to other illnesses, I would not be concerned even if it was mostly a redirection of funds. Like her paper says, alzheimer's costs hundreds of billions of dollars a year.

No, I think the paper on out of pocket is as good as it's going to get. The tax credit is a good idea, but the paper rightly recognizes that the majority of reduction in health care payments has to come from reducing the cost of health care in this country, and that has to be done through private sector innovations. There's not a whole lot you can do in terms of legislative dictat.

Some Bernie Diablosing for once:

A word of caution from TPM Reader BY ...
Your reader MJ is right to be worried. I've seen results of a poll (and heard about another) done by a group here in DC that tested Sanders's support before and after likely lines of attack against him. The results are bad, real bad.
The attacks are pretty obvious (and it's telling that no one in the GOP is making them right now), and the effects are dramatic. Sanders does well at the beginning of the poll (like he does now in face-to-face polling), but by the end is significantly behind *every* GOP contender. Basically, in the words of one highly-placed, data-driven Democratic friend of mine, "the numbers are brutal in many demographics. There's just no math that gets Sanders to a victory."
And I say this as a mild Sanders supporter, or at least I was before seeing these numbers. I've known Bernie for years and like him a lot, but the prospect of a Bernie-Cruz race is terrifying to me now.

Link

dramatis

We're turning into Pokemon here, echoing the same "Jeb is a mess". Someday we will probably be able to communicate tone and message using just those words.

Cerium

Sandra Day O'Connor is calling for the Supreme Court vacancy to be filled immediately.

Former Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor says President Barack Obama should get to nominate a replacement for the late Justice Antonin Scalia, rebuking Republicans who have in recent days shown reticence toward voting — or even holding hearings — to approve a successor in an election year.

“Well, you just have to pick the best person you can under the circumstances as the appointing authority must do, and one that we care about as a nation and as a people,” the 85-year-old O'Connor said in an interview with Fox’s local Phoenix affiliate. “And I wish the president well as he makes choices and goes down that line. It’s hard.”

The fact that the vacancy created by Scalia’s death occurred in an election year “creates too much talk around the thing that isn’t necessary,” she said. O’Connor stepped down from the bench in 2006 to care for her ailing husband, who died in 2009.

O’Connor, the first woman to serve on the court and a nominee of President Ronald Reagan, rejected the notion that the next president should be able to pick the next justice after the election.

“I don’t agree. I think we need somebody there now to do the job, and let’s get on with it,” she said.

Some Bernie Diablosing for once:

Link
They're not wrong. I want to put more faith in the American people than this, but for all of Bernie's arguments that "I'll raise your taxes, BUT you get free healthcare!" and how that might make sense, only the first part of that sentence will make it into the attack ads. He plays perfectly into every GOP stereotype about tax and spend liberals, and while that might not be a death knell in every state he'll have a hard time selling that message to swing voters in Ohio, Colorado, Florida, Iowa and Virginia.

I'm pretty sure any candidate would be able to win if they were allowed to explain their positions in their own words to every single voter. But once you slap those party labels on its a tough slog. I'm not convinced Bernie will be able to make himself heard through the noise.

o-DONALD-TRUMP-ROB-FORD-facebook.jpg

Donald Trump shaking hands with the crack smoking Toronto mayor Rob "I've Got Enough to Eat at Home" Ford.

As a bonus, here's an image of Marco Rubio getting it on with a elderly senator.

republican-presidential-candidate-sen-marco-rubio-and-rep-virginia-picture-id504724430

Gruco

Banned
Bernie is openly campaigning on increasing payroll taxes by 50%. And this is on the poor! Let alone everything else. It seriously melts my brain that people think he has any chance in the general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom