• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people are reading a bit too far into this. The base will still vote for him even if Hillary breaks him literally in half. I don't think Him being a bad debater is great news...bush sucked too.

I wonder how are they going to "swiftboat" Hillary.

I think people are reading a bit too far into this. The base will still vote for him even if Hillary breaks him literally in half. I don't think Him being a bad debater is great news...bush sucked too.

Bush was at least competent in 2000. By '04 he looked legit out of it at times, but the 9/11 shine was able to pull him through.

East Lake

I actually believe Trump was onto something when he said the there are a lot of donors in the audience. There has been virtually no enthusiasm there.

Even if he was wrong, it was a smart way to condition people. Many will believe now that this is the only reason why people might boo him.
They're probably not donors specifically but people in the party one way or another. He gets booed almost every debate and he's the most popular candidate. Probably something a lot of his supporters already notice.

Maengun1

Holy shiiitt I was at the movie theater and just now saw the debate entrance traffic jam. No SNL writers could have scripted that. DYING.

kess

It sure was nice having a former Supreme Court aide defining what is and what isn't torture. Just the moral clarity we needed.

Splendor

This might be the worst indicator for Rubio after this debate, before it I was worried/scared of him. Now I feel nothing but pity towards the robotic bubbleboy. Its like Jeb and he had a Freaky Friday and Rubio was the low energy loser in the room.

The base will vote for any of them. They need more than the base.

Let's dispel with this fiction.

Bubble boy would still be hard to beat regardless of how robotic he is at debating.
They all use canned lines, he's just bad at hiding them. He's the Dragon Age 3 of debaters.

ivysaur12

Banned
Rubio reminds me how I felt about Jeborah before we actually saw him as a candidate -- someone I was legit terrified could very much beat Hillary. Now? LOL. She would mutilate him during a debate and make it look easy.

Even better, I think there's no way he wins New Hampshire. I wonder if his numbers will flounder and he'll get a 3rd or 4th place finish in NH. His performance was so bad, but even better, the entire media cycle for the next few days is going to be how bad his performance was. It's the exact thing to stop the RUBIO IS SURGING story.

P4Osxwx.gif

Bubble boy would still be hard to beat regardless of how robotic he is at debating.
They all use canned lines, he's just bad at hiding them. He's the Dragon Age 3 of debaters.

Why? Because he stood on stage today, February of election year, and said he wouldn't allow abortion under any circumstances?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Don't screw this up, new Hampshire.

I think every single Rubio answer tonight had a misspoken or quotable sentence.

danm999

The abortion thing seems hugely damaging in a general election. Wouldn't be hard to paint him as an extremist on abortion.

Because of what Kev already noted. The election isn't going to be a cakewalk with any plausible nominee outside of probably Trump and Cruz, and even then, I'm not entirely convinced.

Republicans fall in line.

Rubio was a dumb dumb for basically failing to word things differently when under pressure and not having enough canned lines ready. Sanders uses his stump speech in debates. Hillary has told the same story about the situation room over and over.

NeoXChaos

Nate Cohn ‏@Nate_Cohn 9m9 minutes ago Washington, DC
but seriously one of the most obnoxious things in the world is when i get data on a CD. wtf

Nate Cohn ‏@Nate_Cohn 10m10 minutes ago Washington, DC
I'm hearing that Rubio's CD-ROM drive was jammed; kept opening and closing repeatedly when they tried to change disks

Because of what Kev already noted. The election isn't going to be a cakewalk with any plausible nominee outside of probably Trump and Cruz, and even then, I'm not entirely convinced.

Then republicans are at an inherent disadvantage. Democrats in a GE outnumber republicans. GOP NEEDS independent and undecided voters. None of these candidates could win ground there except Kasich or Bush and lol at them getting the nomination.

I'm not saying it's a cakewalk, but no one in the GOP is a strong candidate. Rubio was the only one that looked like he might be and that fell apart tonight. He not only looked weak, but he even said the wrong things. No republican candidate should be stupid enough to say they don't support abortions under any circumstances this late in the game, but Rubio was. He'll fall apart in a GE.

ivysaur12

Banned

Rubio was a dumb dumb for basically failing to word things differently when under pressure and not having enough canned lines ready. Sanders uses his stump speech in debates. Hillary has told the same story about the situation room over and over.

You're right. It won't be a cakewalk. But this is the worst timing for this to happen to Rubio, right when the donor class is supposed to be warming up to him.

Daniel B·;194460300 said:
Wait, this is the guy that would supposedly (based on poll matchups) provide Bernie with a serious challenge (compared to Trump and Cruz)? LOL. I haven't seen any clips of him before, but if those are representative - what a lightweight.
Rubio doesn't have to do anything against Bernie except repeat his lines about raising taxes. He will sleepwalk through the debate while Bernie is left yelling at the clouds like an old demented uncle.

The timing was awful, I agree. It shows some fundamental weaknesses, that really a lot of people in here have already noted. He is no GOP Obama.
But if in a few days he finishes strong, it will be forgotten, and whatever happens his debate prep is going to be much more thorough after this debacle I imagine.

ivysaur12

Banned
The timing was awful, I agree. It shows some fundamental weaknesses, that really a lot of people in here have already noted. He is no GOP Obama.
But if in a few days he finishes strong, it will be forgotten, and whatever happens his debate prep is going to be much more thorough after this debacle I imagine.

Sure, but if he comes in 3rd? 4th? Uh oh.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The problem is that it happened too early and only once. Have you ever been on the tilt a whirl ride where early in you're with a fat person and you hit a hill just right and you go fucking spinning? Like a five rotation spin? Then the rest of the ride you spend waiting to get another fiver but you only get a three rotator and mostly twos? That was tonight. Rubio blew but he blew SO badly early that it wasn't possible for it to happen again.

Owzers

It reminds me of when Cruz went back to the New York values attack absolutely knowing what was going to come at him.

My intense dislike of Cruz and Rubio is making me embrace the rest.

ivysaur12

Banned
The problem is that it happened too early and only once. Have you ever been on the tilt a whirl ride where early in you're with a fat person and you hit a hill just right and you go fucking spinning? Like a five rotation spin? Then the rest of the ride you spend waiting to get another fiver but you only get a three rotator and mostly twos? That was tonight. Rubio blew but he blew SO badly early that it wasn't possible for it to happen again.

If I were his campaign, my worry is that now that race becomes the Trump v. Cruz race that it was becoming before this with a really terrible showing in New Hampshire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom