• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Hillary can defeat Rubio if Bernie fan salt doesn't sabotage her.

I think Bernie fan salt is hugely overstated. Primaries are always contentious. 2008 had a lot more mudslinging and vitriol than this primary has had thus far. I think the only Bernie fans that might abstain if Hillary is the nominee are those who didn't necessarily consider themselves democrats beforehand anyway.

That said (and this is unrelated to your post Jack Remington), in terms of which candidate is more electable, I think we're underestimating the extent to which this election will be about getting money out of politics, campaign finance reform, moving away from the status quo, etc. I'm not sure Hillary is a strong candidate on those metrics.

Eh. I'd say it's going to be about guns, god, gays, taxes and the economy. Like pretty much forever. I'm not sure how money in politics become the major point of debate between the two parties in the GE.

In reference to Cruz, Carson needs to ask "since when do Christians use such deceitful and establishment tactics against other Christians?"

I think Bernie fan salt is hugely overstated. Primaries are always contentious. 2008 had a lot more mudslinging and vitriol than this primary has had thus far. I think the only Bernie fans that might abstain if Hillary is the nominee are those who didn't necessarily consider themselves democrats beforehand anyway.

That said (and this is unrelated to your post Jack Remington), in terms of which candidate is more electable, I think we're underestimating the extent to which this election will be about getting money out of politics, campaign finance reform, moving away from the status quo, etc. I'm not sure Hillary is a strong candidate on those metrics.

and Rubio is?

Eh. I'd say it's going to be about guns, god, gays, taxes and the economy. Like pretty much forever.

Taxes, economy and guns, yes. Bernie is the better GE option on guns and the economy. Hillary's the stronger candidate on taxes. However, no republican candidate in the GE will be stupid enough to take a stance against marriage equality this late in the game. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit though.

Macho Madness said:
and Rubio is?

Rubio's their best shot, but he's said too much crazy shit in the past to bounce back from the eventual attack ads. And yes, he's also weak on the issues I mentioned.

Taxes, economy and guns, yes. Bernie is the better GE option on guns and the economy. Hillary's the stronger candidate on taxes. However, no republican candidate in the GE will be stupid enough to take a stance against marriage equality this late in the game. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit though.

Definitely too much credit, a few of them def have talked about rolling that back somehow.

It's weird, according to the Iowa Exit Polls people see Hillary as better for the Economy, Health Care, and tackling Terrorism, but overwhelmingly think Bernie would act in their interests and is better equipped to take on Income Inequality. The hell America...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's weird, according to the Iowa Exit Polls people see Hillary as better for the Economy, Health Care, and tackling Terrorism, but overwhelmingly think Bernie would act in their interests and is better equipped to take on Income Inequality. The hell America...

Experience vs trust. Bernie gets income inequality because that's all he talks about.

Trump has talked about it. Cruz <3 Kim Davis.

Rubio is secretly on our team though.

Also, the reason Obama wasn't able to magically fix everything is because after campaigning comes governing.

Trump has talked about it. Cruz <3 Kim Davis.

Rubio is secretly on our team though.

Also, the reason Obama wasn't able to magically fix everything is because after campaigning comes governing.

Cruz is the only one who I think is enough of an ideologue to, like, not even try shifting to the center for a general election. The rest of them know better than to say the crazy shit that only works in the primaries.

User 406

Banned
Cruz is the only one who I think is enough of an ideologue to, like, not even try shifting to the center for a general election. The rest of them know better than to say the crazy shit that only works in the primaries.

Don't forget Trump. He won't change his message either.

JEB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
omg, Jeb's actually out in front! It's all within the margins of error! If Jeb! is actually more at 17% and Trump more like 28%, if all the undecideds up to 11% went to Jeb! he's TIED WITH TRUMP at 28%! omgomgomg... And if the margin of error is 4%? He's GOT THE WIN at 30% to 27%! Jeb!!!!!!

Lying with statistics is fun.

Maledict

The thing that worries me is the candidates reaction.

When Hillary lost, she went above and beyond to heal the party. He initial speech, then at the convention - she understood what was at stake, and she healed the party. It didn't happen by accident.

Will Sanders do the same? I worry he won't, and from the comments from colleagues in the senate and house I fear that's the likely result. At best we'd get a tepid endorsement that didn't heal anything, at worse he'd sit out the convention, go back to being an independent and fire parting shots as he went.

Holmes

"Bernie fan salt" is grossly overstated because for many of these young 18-25 year olds, this is their first competitive primary and they feel like they'll mourn Sanders' loss forever, and some pundits are saying it'll affect Hillary in the general. But it won't. They'll have 6+ months to get over it, and they will.

Don't forget Trump. He won't change his message either.

Nah, Trump would unabashedly reverse a lot of his positions. He's the most transparent pander-er of any candidate in either party. I mean, he tried to convince everyone that his favorite book is the bible. He really doesn't give a shit if people believe him.

teiresias

Anyone have a link for the official statement by Bernie about primarying Obama in 2012. I think that hurts him more with moderates and minority Democrats than pretty much anything else.

The thing that worries me is the candidates reaction.

When Hillary lost, she went above and beyond to heal the party. He initial speech, then at the convention - she understood what was at stake, and she healed the party. It didn't happen by accident.

Will Sanders do the same? I worry he won't, and from the comments from colleagues in the senate and house I fear that's the likely result. At best we'd get a tepid endorsement that didn't heal anything, at worse he'd sit out the convention, go back to being an independent and fire parting shots as he went.

I really doubt it. He goes against the grain and emphasizes that he's not part of the establishment and whatever, but he fully understands what's at stake. He's not willing to burn the system to the ground like Cruz or Trump. If anything, he'll be a great asset for the general election. Given his ability to fill stadiums and fund raise, I'd imagine the DNC will be begging him to get out on the trail for Hillary if she gets the nomination. The enthusiasm may not translate when he's no longer a candidate, but it wouldn't hurt to test that theory.

ivysaur12

Banned
Well.

@BernieSanders
Some other days...

CaU0IPvWYAAUGGr.jpg

Obama thought he could go all the way to the right?

I remember several years of "Candidate Obama vs. President Obama". He went left on social issues, but on most issues he became a lot more moderate than when he was on the campaign trail. I think there was a bit of hyperbole in Sanders' statement, but Obama undeniably allowed himself to compromise more than a lot of people desired in his early years.

Makai

@costareports

Santorum world official line is that there are "two major announcements" coming tonight on Fox. Top Rs, tho, tell me he's quitting+endorsing

What I know: Santorum advisers and Trump advisers are very friendly. Santorum has grown friendly with Trump. Both will appear on Greta.

danm999

I remember several years of "Candidate Obama vs. President Obama". He went left on social issues, but on most issues he became a lot more moderate than when he was on the campaign trail. I think there was a bit of hyperbole in Sanders' statement, but Obama undeniably allowed himself to compromise more than a lot of people desired in his early years.

Yeah cause he got a super-majority in the Senate for like a hot minute. Even then the Blue Dogs would only give him the ACA.

He wasn't moving right because he faced no Primary challenge and that would have done fuck all to solve the actual problem. And Sanders knows that, he was there.

Yeah cause he got a super-majority in the Senate for like a hot minute.

He wasn't moving right because he faced no Primary challenge and that would have done fuck all to solve the actual problem. And Sanders knows that, he was there.

I don't think the idea was he only moved right because he had no primary challenger, I think it was more he moved right to compromise, and there was no fear of anyone challenging his decision to do such. Sanders' worded it poorly for sure, but I don't think he's implying Obama was secretly a Republican wolf in Democratic sheeps clothing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't think the idea was he only moved right because he had no primary challenger, I think it was more he moved right to compromise, and there was no fear of anyone challenging his decision to do such. Sanders' worded it poorly for sure, but I don't think he's implying Obama was secretly a Republican wolf in Democratic sheeps clothing.

The point is Obama had no choice. He could barely get the ACA through the Senate, anything more liberal was DOA. Someone standing up to him would have done all of jackahit and Bernie should know that given he was in the Senate at the time.

tmarg

@costareports

Santorum world official line is that there are "two major announcements" coming tonight on Fox. Top Rs, tho, tell me he's quitting+endorsing

What I know: Santorum advisers and Trump advisers are very friendly. Santorum has grown friendly with Trump. Both will appear on Greta.

A Frothy endorsement might actually be big. Give him pull with real evangelicals. Most of them I know just roll their eyes at him.

danm999

If Sanders understood it was a matter of compromise he wouldn't be suggesting a primary challenge. When he's talking about contrasting Obama's record with a true progressive, and saying Obama thought he could go all the way to the right that feels exactly like he thinks Obama's progressive credentials are suspect.

He's absolutely right that Obama let down many progressives in his first term, but he's absolutely wrong that the problem lay with Obama himself. Firing a shot across Obama's bow by giving him a primary challenge in 2012 would have done nothing.

If Sanders understood it was a matter of compromise he wouldn't be suggesting a primary challenge. When he's talking about contrasting Obama's record with a true progressive, and saying Obama thought he could go all the way to the right that feels exactly like he thinks Obama's progressive credentials are suspect.

He's absolutely right that Obama let down many progressives in his first term, but he's absolutely wrong that the problem lay with Obama himself. Firing a shot across Obama's bow by giving him a primary challenge in 2012 would have done nothing.

It's from 2011, at that time a lot of people were questioning Obama's Progressive Credentials because as you said he had let a lot of people down. If anything I think Sanders' was trying to go for 2 birds with those comments--that Obama had disappointed on the "expectations vs reality" front, and that he thinks a major issue is the lack of competition within the party. For the latter, it's assumed a sitting President will always get their run for the second term, but why? What if they are inept? There should always be competition for the highest office in the world, and even more so for lower positions within the Federal Government--this Senators sitting for 20-30+ years bullshit is nonsense.

The funny part about the whole "obama compromised too much" aspect is that if you ask any conservative, they will swear to you that Obama is the most uncompromising President in history, that he tried to ram an ultra liberal agenda on the country, and that he refuses to listen to the people.

funny stuff that politics. No wonder Obama has aged so fucking much. Even without the international issues, his soul aged 35 years the past 7.

Makai

Morning Consult 1/29 - 2/1
Trump 41
Cruz 12
Carson 9
Rubio 8
Bush 7

Morning Consult 2/2-2/23
Trump 38
Cruz 14
Rubio 12
Carson 9